PDA

View Full Version : How do you drop off or pick up passenger in DT w/o being ticketed?

rayquan
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Since we have a ridiculous parking system here in Calgary where they drive a photo vehicle around to take pictures, how do you pick up or drop off a passenger on the street if by coincident that photo car is approaching and taking pictures from few car behind?

The other day, I was picking up my wife on 8th Ave and I was pictured and got a ticket. The picture showed that I was at the driver seat and the brake lights were on since I was ready to drive off. I went to appeal in the parking department in DT, the employee there said that it seemed reasonable, asked me to fill a form, and they would review my case :confused: . If my brake lights weren't on, I don't think I will have a case even though I was sitting in the driver seat (since it looks as if I just stop there waiting w/o paying). So are we not allowed to stop even just a bit (< a minute) during the pay parking period? Next time, I might just ask my wife to jump off/in the car while it is moving :) .

ddduke
09-20-2011, 04:25 PM
drive around the block once and drop her off at the same spot again or a block away. It's really not that hard, I do it all the time. Stop for 15-30 seconds, she hops in/out, I drive away.

arian_ma
09-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Stop in a loading zone.

rage2
09-20-2011, 04:27 PM
See here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2011/03/16/calgary-parking-authority-parkplus-flexible-changes.html

Dale Fraser said people who are picking up or dropping off a passenger can now rest easy knowing they will not get a ticket for stopping for a few minutes.

They will also not be issued a ticket if they're actively loading or unloading something from their vehicle, Fraser said.

"We understand that there are Calgarians either dropping off or picking up a carpool member, spouse and so-forth," said Fraser. "Or, indeed, if you're making a delivery where you're actively loading or unloading, you won't receive a ticket.

"We do have to see a person either in the vehicle and/or you're actively loading or unloading, and consideration will be provided."

These changes are in effect now, and Fraser added flexibility would also be applied to drivers pulling over for cellphone call, but still encourages motorists to let calls go to voicemail.

Someone's too lazy at CPA... it shouldn't have been a ticket. Each photo is supposed to be reviewed by a person before a ticket is issued. Someone must have just mass clicked OK that day haha.

rayquan
09-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by rage2
See here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2011/03/16/calgary-parking-authority-parkplus-flexible-changes.html

Someone's too lazy at CPA... it shouldn't have been a ticket. Each photo is supposed to be reviewed by a person before a ticket is issued. Someone must have just mass clicked OK that day haha.

Yes, that really makes sense.

Maxt
09-20-2011, 07:13 PM
Lots of people pop the trunk or the rear doors to obscure the plate these days...

GQBalla
09-21-2011, 07:49 AM
I heard that the parking cars do a loop every ten minutes supposedly.

if you get caught in the ten minutes you get a ticket?

finboy
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
park in an alley and use my cell phone, or if i have to park in the street, back up really close to the car parked behind me so my plate isn't visible.

manny18
09-21-2011, 08:45 AM
i always drop my mom off at the bus stop in front of her building, if shes not outside i do a loop and come back around so shes ready to jump in when i get there. i do it everyday and never had a ticket

Thaco
09-21-2011, 08:52 AM
as rage said... this was in the news a couple months ago, CPA will review tickets and if you're clearly in or around your vehicle, and are only there for a short time, they wont issue a ticket...

benyl
09-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
Lots of people pop the trunk or the rear doors to obscure the plate these days...

There is a guy that I see once in a while that stands in front of his plate with his cigarette while waiting for his wife.

483hp
09-21-2011, 02:20 PM
The cameras are pointed towards the license plate not the driver. Do you think you can see the driver in those pics if they are in a large car like a SUV?

rayquan
09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by 483hp
The cameras are pointed towards the license plate not the driver. Do you think you can see the driver in those pics if they are in a large car like a SUV?

They took two pictures, one with the plate from the back and one with the 4/5 of the car from the front with the background (you can see where you park from the buildings). Yes, it shows the driver, if present in the driver seat.

Maxt
09-21-2011, 08:03 PM
There seems to be some kind of freebee for larger vehicles and utilities.. I see large tour buses, semi's, utility companies etc, park just about wherever they want, when they want, and at most basically just put a pylon out.. Some office mover guys left their truck on 6th for about 5 hours one day,in a 30 minute zone. I was talking to the guys and they said parking patrol doesn't bother them with a 5 ton only their cube vans get tickets.
Should try that one day, just leave the big dually in the left lane on 6th ave with a pylon for and aft..:dunno:

483hp
09-21-2011, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by rayquan
They took two pictures, one with the plate from the back and one with the 4/5 of the car from the front with the background (you can see where you park from the buildings). Yes, it shows the driver, if present in the driver seat.

That second 3/4 angle pic is terrible. You get a copy with the ticket. The pic with I got was taken at such a sharp angle that you can't tell if there is someone in the car or not.

It's probably a good idea to keep your foot on the brake just in case.

msommers
09-22-2011, 12:05 AM
I used to sit in the closest Impark lot!