PDA

View Full Version : Mattamy reviews in Airdrie

rainman3223
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
Has anyone on Beyond purchased a home with Mattamy in Airdrie? We like the wide lot approach as well as building an entire street at once so you don't have empty lots. What I want to know is any positive or negative reviews of your experience with them.

msouther
09-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Hi There,

I have a lot of experience with them. I am a local realtor living in Airdrie so I have represented 2 buyers when purchasing condos from them, sold two properties (condo & double garage house) listings that clients have purchased from them, have another 2 car garage condo listing coming up in the next few days and I am currently building a house right now with them (November possession). PM me any questions you have and I would be glad to help you out through the buying process. I know Mark and Brydon, the area managers well.

disgruntled
09-18-2012, 11:20 AM
We built quite recently with Mattamy Homes in Airdrie and they are no different than any other builder out there. We listened to the propaganda about how their president was disappointed about a home he had built by another builder so he started Mattamy so he could build "quality homes". Well, to describe it best, we got a mobile home quality house with granite countertops and hardwood flooring.

Mattamy's showhomes are impecable. The finishing is perfect and every detail is covered. The crews who built them paid attention to detail and there are VERY few visible flaws. What we got is a completely different story. There is at least one paint stain in every carpeted room in our house, paint on every carpeted stair except two. The furnace vent is pointing up so rain collects in it and pours into the basement every time it rains. They mortared the fireplace sconces into the fireplace so they can NEVER be removed or even adjusted for that matter and one of them is not even level. Our wood railing was touched up with yes, a JIFFY MARKER!!!

Wrong tile was installed in the shower in the owner's suite bathroom floor, they didn't measure the wall sconce placement to make sure they lined up with the placement of the two sinks in the bathroom counter and since it's granite, they now say it can't be changed. The didn't put the correct taps on the soaker tub, completely omitting the hand held shower that we paid for.

The grout in the shower comes off it you touch it, there are holes in the grout lines all along the base of the bathroom cabinets, as in no grout or silicone at all! The grout was not properly cleaned off the tiles on the shower walls so you see the dark grey marks all over.

I could go on for hours: paint marks on the ceiling, paint marks on the wood cabinets, chunks of paint skin stuck to the walls all over the house, they forgot to put the second coat of paint on one wall, missing base boards etc.

If you buy a Mattamy home, you must be prepared to visit the site EVERY week or they will cut corners like crazy. Their roofers punched holes in our roof with their hammers to strap their equipment to it and they were going to simply shingle right over the 6 inch diameter holes if we hadn't caught them!

They put a window in the wrong place and tried to tell us it was "code" until we pushed the issue. Be prepared also to fight for a long time to get the touch ups done after you move in. They don't phone you back, they make promises about "sending my guy right over" and never show up. Email me if you want photos of what Mattamy's clowns do to your home. You will be doing a lot of touch ups and corrections yourself if you want it done right after you move in.

civic_stylez
09-18-2012, 12:06 PM
I have a really good friend that does interior work and cabinets in houses and when I was looking at houses I asked him what he felt were the best and worst houses hes worked in/on. He said without a doubt that Mattamy homes are the worst homes he has seen. They build everything to MINIMUM code. I have been in the show homes in Airdrie and I have to admit, they were gorgeous inside. I was very impressed for the home for the money with the show homes but I was told that the actual home you get will vary greatly from the show home.. and not for the better.

Just my .02 for what I have heard by those who have experienced Mattamy homes.

Stunt66
09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
Disgruntled, If all you say is true then that is a nightmare and hopefully you get it taken care of.

The reason these houses are built to Minimum code is because theyre cheap houses, My brother in law moved out there into one of those new townhouses and paid a little over $200k for a 1300 sq/ft townhouse with a single attached garage. You get what you pay for and for The money my bil paid he was more than happy with his purchase.

Tweeds
12-02-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree with you get what you pay for. I would be happy if we had even gotten our money's worth. We are still waiting for issues from our one year walk through. It's been 7 months since then, and we are taking them to mediation with Alberta New Home Warranty Program. I'm sick of run around.

flipstah
07-17-2013, 09:06 PM
BUMP!

Just saw that Mattamy is building the north Calgary part near Skyview and Redstone called Cityscape.

Expectations are still the same?

killramos
07-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Well things certainly haven't gotten better. I know a guy who is working on their homes right now and every time I see him he can't express enough about how to never buy one of their homes.

Doesn't seem like a sound investment unless you are willing to babysit them through the process and have your own knowledge about how things should be done...

OU812
07-17-2013, 09:26 PM
Disgrunteled...........are you the guy with the truck with the signs in the back driving around airdrie?

Willis
07-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Good friends of mine built with them in Airdrie. Had their house repainted inside three times. They didn't used drop clothes so the furniture, carpeting, pictures, electronics, etc.. were covered in paint. Almost all the windows have cracked/broke from settlement. The usual damage builders cause like dented drywall, leaking toilets, etc. There is more; just cant recall everything atm.

All around shotty workmanship. Excuse they were given from Mattamy was" They had 30 houses to close that week". They are having an absolute nightmare dealing with Mattamy right now. 450k+ home.

disgruntled
10-25-2013, 02:06 AM
To OU812:

No, I'm not the guy with the truck LOL but I've talked with him and Mattamy apparently ripped him off for a $20,000 contract or that's what he said. He's a contractor who used to work as a sub with them.

We are still having problems with Mattamy trying to get our house fixed. It's been over a year since we moved in and they only just came out to remove the roofing nails from our trim and attach it to the house properly. We had to build our own steps and invoice them because they kept telling us "they are on order", yet houses built six months after ours has steps. Weird...

I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone, even my ex! We paid almost $500,000 fdor this house, put our life's savings into it and have the poorest quality workmanship EVER. We found the "quality" lights and hardware they installed in our home..... at home depot,, bottom of the line construction grade. Their idea of good quality belongs in a trailer park!

our hardwood railing on 2 floors had light spots all over it so when we complained, one of their brain surgeons darkened the spots with a Jiffy marker! The railing then looked like a leopard so we insisted they restain it. They did alright! It is now so black you can't see the grain of the wood at all but when they restained it, they only covered the carpets on the stairs. Yes, they sprayed stain a foot up all the walls, on the knockdown ceiling, our granite counter tops, our furniture, oriental rugs......

We insisted they professionaly clean the house and they had to repaint almost the entire two stories to repair what they did! We are keeping an email and photo log of everything. The only way you get them to fix anything is by pestering them almost every two days. I think they think I am Olga, She-Wolf of the SS by now! :banghead:

EK69
10-25-2013, 02:05 PM
holy shit
mattamy homes needs to shut down shop with that much garbage work going on.... i would be so pissed if that happened to me.... crappy thing is, google mattamy homes calgary and this thread doesn't even show up

:banghead:

infiniti.
03-19-2015, 06:20 PM
Bump.

Has mattamy homes got any better since this thread was made?

killramos
03-19-2015, 06:28 PM
As of last summer when my buddy's stopped working for them. No. They don't give a shit.

but then again most builders in the city don't. It comes with the territory even if you go full custom.

Builders plain and simple make more money if they can get it done cheaper or screw you in some way. End of story.

roopi
03-19-2015, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by infiniti.
Bump.

Has mattamy homes got any better since this thread was made?

I have no personal experience with then but why even consider them after the comments above.

MGCM
03-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by killramos
As of last summer when my buddy's stopped working for them. No. They don't give a shit.

but then again most builders in the city don't. It comes with the territory even if you go full custom.

Builders plain and simple make more money if they can get it done cheaper or screw you in some way. End of story.

And EVERYTHING else is not the same? Car dealers new or used, grocery stores, electronic stores........anybody see a pattern yet? No? Guess it might take a few more generations to see the truth behind all this and actually get somewhere in fighting back. Until then the BP oil's and other such companies will keep selling us the same bullshit under a different name. Cmon ppl see the light, its right there infront of you.

killramos
03-19-2015, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

And EVERYTHING else is not the same? Car dealers new or used, grocery stores, electronic stores........anybody see a pattern yet? No? Guess it might take a few more generations to see the truth behind all this and actually get somewhere in fighting back. Until then the BP oil's and other such companies will keep selling us the same bullshit under a different name. Cmon ppl see the light, its right there infront of you.

Dafuk did I just read :nut:

Cos
03-19-2015, 07:22 PM

infiniti.
03-19-2015, 11:15 PM
Was considering cityscape in calgary. They have some unique floorplans that I haven't seen with other builders.

v2kai
03-20-2015, 12:45 AM
+1 for Mckee in Airdrie

everyone I've encountered has cautioned that you get what you pay for with Mattamy... and sometimes less

Speed_69
03-20-2015, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by infiniti.
Was considering cityscape in calgary. They have some unique floorplans that I haven't seen with other builders.
I was considering cityscape before as well until I read about all the terrible Mattamy reviews online.