PDA

View Full Version : Drive - The Movie

Manhattan
09-21-2011, 12:47 AM
Decided to check this out since it's sitting at above 90% on rottentomatoes which usually guarantees a decent flick. I went in not really knowing what to expect and it was just terrible and disturbing. Bit of a spoiler here...

The violence in this movie is some of the most brutal I've ever seen.

I don't mind a decent art house film but this film was more grindhouse than anything else. It's very similar to Taxi Driver except not as good. Some of the scenes were so awful it made the audience laugh during the "dramatic" scenes.

Granted I hadn't even seen a trailer before watching this so I was expecting something closer to Fast Five than Taxi Driver. I still don't see how this movie is getting rave reviews everywhere. Anyone watch this and like it?

EDIT: Trailer

CWX34ShfcsE

ExtremeSi
09-21-2011, 10:55 AM
:werd: I had high expectations going in and was very disappointed. Maybe I just don't "get" the appeal of how it was made, but I really didn't like it.

So many scenes of blank stares and absolute silence. And the violence was too much.

xnvy
09-28-2011, 10:19 PM
The violence was a bit overkill but other than that I liked the movie. I like its slow pace and style, and Ryan Gosling's character reminded me of the Man with No Name. Could have used a bit more actual driving though.

dandia89
09-29-2011, 10:41 AM
It was a decent movie, not worth the attention its getting. I think bryan cranston and ryan gosling did a really good job, but this story just wasn't cutting it. Maybe they should have put less time between the chick and gosling, and develop gosling more in depth. I know it was essential to have the relationship with the neighbour for the story, but it was just annoying seeing them two on screen.

eglove
09-29-2011, 10:44 AM
definitely needed some more character development, some things just happened way too fast. needed more driving scenes too...for a movie titled drive it was more like "silence and cars"

JordanEG6
09-29-2011, 11:58 AM
It was alright. Reminded me of a darker Grand Theft Auto type vibe/story to it.

Originally posted by eglove
definitely needed some more character development, some things just happened way too fast. needed more driving scenes too...for a movie titled drive it was more like "silence and cars"

Agreed. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little rushed.

bituerbo
10-01-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by JordanEG6
It was alright. Reminded me of a darker Grand Theft Auto type vibe/story to it.

Agreed. I enjoyed it, but it seemed a little rushed.

+1, it wasn't bad.

Shlade
10-01-2011, 11:09 AM
I only wanted to see it because I thought there would be some awesome driving scenes.. and especially with the new 5.0 mustang. Too much drama for my liking

cosmok
10-01-2011, 11:17 AM
How was he rev matching an auto and shifting in reverse? I couldn't finish watching this movie due to the audio track

Aniki
10-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Worst movie I have seen in a long time. I can't believe I paid to see that shit.

Squishy
10-01-2011, 07:29 PM
I agree with everyone that has posted thus far. It was a... unique movie.

Hakkola
10-01-2011, 07:36 PM
I liked the soundtrack and thought it was a cool movie.

xnvy
10-01-2011, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
I liked the soundtrack and thought it was a cool movie. :werd: The soundtrack was pretty sweet, I ended up putting a few of the songs on my ipod.

Masked Bandit
10-01-2011, 10:22 PM
IT WAS SHIT! TOTAL AND COMPLETE SHIT! THAT WAS BY FAR THE WORST MOVIE I'VE SEEN IN YEARS!

DID I MENTION THAT THE MOVIE WAS SHIT!

Those assholes at Rotten Tomatoes owe me some money. How did they get this so wrong? Do you know who likes this movie? The artsy phag who wants to look like he's such a deep thinker and the rest of us just don't get it.

IT WAS SHIT!!!!!!

phreezee
10-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I'd give it 6/10. Reminded me of GTA Vice City as others have said for it's retro vibe.

Some of the scenes made you think the movie was paused and you wanted to yell at the screen for someone to say something!

J.D.
10-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Gotta agree one of the worst car movies ever.

Title drive, movie=3 car scenes

Disoblige
10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
I already thought it was strange when I saw the trailer regarding a car movie and Ryan Gosling.

Glad I didn't end up watching the movie.

Maxx Mazda
10-04-2011, 03:18 PM
I really liked it, my girlfriend hated it...

Jetta-2.0
10-04-2011, 09:53 PM
it wasnt a bad movie, the only time i go to movies is when i have the scene points to go lol and i have well over 7000 :rofl: but i watched this on my pc and DVD qty

ZorroAMG
10-05-2011, 12:12 AM
It's so subjective. I loved the sound track, was a bit horrified over the violence in a good way and loved Cranston, Gosling and the chick's work on this film. I did LOL at a couple of melodramatic moments but still loved the film overall. Story could have been fleshed out a bit more, Gosling's character seems more akin to a sequel developing arc.

dandia89
10-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
I did LOL at a couple of melodramatic .
my friend and I did this at almost everyone. it was just so bad. In the motel room when hes in the bathroom slowly fading away behind the wall was the most hilarious scene, because it was so unnecessary

Tram Common
10-05-2011, 11:22 AM
I liked it. :dunno:

Dodobird
10-05-2011, 11:42 AM
I just saw it a few days ago and loved it. I think people are a little too pissed about the lack of driving in it, but just cause it's called "drive" really doesnt mean it's a driving movie. It's a tense thriller with an awesome 80s vibe throughout. I don't really see what the problem is?

TaiChino
10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
Too much camera panning and not enough movie. The intro scene gave me high hopes, since it was the only part of the movie that resembled what I was expecting. That being said, shame on me for assuming.

Canucks3322
10-11-2011, 10:24 PM
This movie is definitely not for the X-Men/Ironman watching crowd...there's more to a good movie than explosions and tons of action kids....

Manhattan
10-15-2011, 12:11 AM
:rofl:

http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/7094205/fan-says-movie-inspired-throw-hot-dog-tiger-woods

dj_rice
10-15-2011, 07:08 AM
A lady in the States is suing the production company who the made this moving because there wasn't enough "driving" scenes in the movie. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

mac_82
10-28-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm a bit late to the party, but I just watched this movie. Hadn't heard a review on it, hadn't seen a trailer for it. I was blown away, I loved it. Liked the story, the soundtrack was awesome as well used, the camera work, editing and lighting all added a lot of depth to it. The director did a great job as well. Seems like a lot of small touches went over peoples heads in this thread or they just missed things. Two thumbs up :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Redlyne_mr2
11-26-2011, 11:39 AM
I just watched this movie last night, really enjoyed it. The soundtrack was awesome especially if you have a decent home theater system.

95teetee
12-09-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by cosmok
I couldn't finish watching this movie due to the audio track I just (finally) watched this movie- every time another song started it got worse. I started playing every scene with background 'music' at fast forward to get them over sooner.

Other than the terrible music, I kind of thought the movie sucked in general.

They could have at least used a Charger instead of a 300 for the big chase scene, so car people could have a moment.

Canmorite
12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
I hated how Gosling took at least 10 seconds to answer any question. Speed it the fuck up!

pf0sh0
12-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I hated how Gosling took at least 10 seconds to answer any question. Speed it the fuck up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_tJoro54iQ&ob=av3e

95teetee
12-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
I hated how Gosling took at least 10 seconds to answer any question. Speed it the fuck up! this was the first Ryan Gosling movie I've seen- won't rush out to look for a complete catalog of his work.

Type_S1
12-10-2011, 01:36 PM
This movie was shit shit shit. I was constantly laughing to myself at all the gay scenes in this movie.

Him taking so long to reply and all the awkwardness as well? Made me be like FUCKING TALK.

complete fail of a movie. :thumbsdow

desi112
12-10-2011, 09:52 PM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/drive_2011/

one of the higher rated moves on RT this year. I'm guessing the reveviewers are female.

I have yet to see it so I will hold judgement.

n1zm0
12-10-2011, 09:55 PM
i would've loved it if the 'sleeper' car was a camry instead.

i think my only real favorite moment was the surprising amount of heel he used, i didn't expect it to goto that point lol

black13
12-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Really really really good movie!
No its not meant to be some Transporter-soapy-car movie with a happy ending. They probably should've called it something else though to keep that expectation away.

Had a very good sense of realism to it. Really brutal and violent and no character was totally good or bad 100%. Everyone had their flaws, even the main character. He obviously had some dark past which is left unknown, and him taking forever to answer is just part of his character. He was a psychopath and hero.

Soundtrack was really 80's-vibe-good and was synchronized perfectly. Sure as hell alot better than just throwing Black eyed peas or whatever the current top pop song is in the movie.

And the two car chase scenes it had were really intense and not some over the top bullshit where the main guy flips a car to take off a bomb strapped underneath the car ala transporter :nut:
And if you notice, the main guy likes Malibu's. His first robbery one is a newer one to blend in, and his own car is the classic Malibu.

It really isn't meant to be a Transporter type movie. If you've got ADD then go watch the hollywood blockbuster with no real plot or character development and stay away from this.

GT4rally
12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by black13
Really really really good movie!
No its not meant to be some Transporter-soapy-car movie with a happy ending. They probably should've called it something else though to keep that expectation away.

Had a very good sense of realism to it. Really brutal and violent and no character was totally good or bad 100%. Everyone had their flaws, even the main character. He obviously had some dark past which is left unknown, and him taking forever to answer is just part of his character. He was a psychopath and hero.

Soundtrack was really 80's-vibe-good and was synchronized perfectly. Sure as hell alot better than just throwing Black eyed peas or whatever the current top pop song is in the movie.

And the two car chase scenes it had were really intense and not some over the top bullshit where the main guy flips a car to take off a bomb strapped underneath the car ala transporter :nut:
And if you notice, the main guy likes Malibu's. His first robbery one is a newer one to blend in, and his own car is the classic Malibu.

It really isn't meant to be a Transporter type movie. If you've got ADD then go watch the hollywood blockbuster with no real plot or character development and stay away from this.

Exactly! But, it was way more of a '60s/'70s feel than '80s. Steve McQueen would have been right at home in Gosling's role!

Great movie!

If you want a cheesy car-chase movie, go rent Fast Five!