PDA

View Full Version : Calgary eyes snow route parking ban

urban.one
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
Calgary eyes snow route parking ban

CBC News Posted: Sep 20, 2011 4:40 PM MT Last Updated: Sep 20, 2011 5:19 PM MT

The city says not having to work around parked vehicles on priority routes will allow it to clear them quicker and get road crews to other streets sooner. (CBC)

Calgary is considering joining other Canadian cities this winter by declaring a mandatory parking ban on priority streets following snowstorms.

A council committee on Tuesday unanimously approved a 72-hour parking ban on bus routes and major thoroughfares to allow plowing after a "snow event."

The city says not having to work around parked vehicles on priority routes will allow it to clear them more quickly and get road crews to other streets sooner.

Dean Bell, manager of roads maintenance, said officials know parking is a challenge in some areas.

"We know that there are going to be areas in the city where there are problems that weren't expected, where people just can't find anywhere to park," he said.

"And what we'll do then is we'll adjust for that. We have exemptions already. No doubt we'll have more exemptions down the road."

There's no additional cost to the program although the city would spend $300,000 putting up snow route signs on thousands of kilometres of streets next month.

The plan goes to city council on October 3rd. If approved, new snow route signs will go up and parking bans could be issued after Oct. 15.

projekz
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
More Plowing...less gravel on the roads :thumbsup:

Maybelater
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Exactly how are you suppose to magically know it is going to snow? If I left my vehicle out on the road, go have a few drinks or spend then night some place and it starts to snow I have to run outside and move my vehicle?

I guess you're better off just making it a no parking zone over night.

Sugarphreak
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM

Grogador
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
72hrs? Get better planners/logistics peoples. They have computers for these things too if your little brain can't handle it.

Guillermo
09-21-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater
Exactly how are you suppose to magically know it is going to snow? If I left my vehicle out on the road, go have a few drinks or spend then night some place and it starts to snow I have to run outside and move my vehicle?

I guess you're better off just making it a no parking zone over night.

you will know because the city will announce "snow emergencies," just like they've been doing in every other major north american city for the last 70 or 80 years. This is an excellent plan, but only a very small step forward to where calgary needs to be for snow removal - particularity as the city continues to grow.

Guillermo
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Grogador
72hrs? Get better planners/logistics peoples. They have computers for these things too if your little brain can't handle it.

but you can park there as soon as it has been plowed. at least that's how it worked where i lived. (except there, it was only 24 hours since we had enough plow trucks to clear the streets in a day. LOL @ YYC 3 days :rofl: )

speedog
09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
City says this will affect "major" and "collector" roads and if one looks on the map at this link (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Documents/snow_ice_control/snow_and_ice_control_sanding_map_p2.pdf), you'll find that finding parking off of these affected roads shouldn't really be an issue. What will be interesting is what the final list of affected roads will look like - just can't see all roads that are currently labelled as "collector" roads being deemed as snow routes.

rage2
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
You'll know from the $300k worth of snow route signs. You take the risk of parking there if it snows and needs to be plowed in the morning.

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Because all of the cars parked on Glenmore, Crowchild and Deerfoot have been the problem all along...
That's not what this is aimed at. It's aimed at the major residential streets that buses run on.

nickyh
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
what if you park along a bus route and hop on the bus to get to work, while you are work it snows and the city calls a snow event?

Do i risk being towed then?

Example: 37th Street by Westbrook mall, there is on street parking in some areas (but its a major bus route) and it's faster to park there and get home than sit on the bus and ride it to Sirocco.

Abeo
09-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Older version of the story:

The city's transportation committee is discussing the implementation of a three day parking restriction on all priority one and two roads in Calgary after a big snowfall. The criteria would be a snowfall of at least 5 centremetres where snowplows are needed to clear the streets. During an average winter in Calgary, there are 20 such snow events. A parking ban will be in effect for 72 hours and could be shortened or extended as required. The idea would still need the approval of city council.

20 events x 3 days parking ban = 60 days of no parking on these streets in the winter :S

Ottawa has an overnight ban (1am-7am), most other places have 24 hour bans, funny that Calgary takes 3 days to clear 5 cm :rofl:

speedog
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by nickyh
what if you park along a bus route and hop on the bus to get to work, while you are work it snows and the city calls a snow event?

Do i risk being towed then?

Example: 37th Street by Westbrook mall, there is on street parking in some areas (but its a major bus route) and it's faster to park there and get home than sit on the bus and ride it to Sirocco. Park on a side street right off of 37th Street?

Masked Bandit
09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
It seems like a reasonable theory but three days to clear snow? Come on, what's the bylaw for the amount of time I have to clear my sidewalk after it snows? Isn't it 24 hours? So the for the City to do their job they need three days? Get your head out of your ass.

Guillermo
09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
is the snow emergency for the entire road, or one side of the road followed by the other side of the road? in minneapolis/st. paul, they do one side one day, and the other side the next day. that way you just have to move your car to the other side of the street.

speedog
09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
It seems like a reasonable theory but three days to clear snow? Come on, what's the bylaw for the amount of time I have to clear my sidewalk after it snows? Isn't it 24 hours? So the for the City to do their job they need three days? Get your head out of your ass. Just guessing, but I suspect a homeowner having to get a shovel out of the garage to clear 30-60 feet of sidewalk probably doesn't have to coordinate near as much manpower/equipment as compared to the city clearing hundreds of kilometers of roads.

Abeo
09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Just guessing, but I suspect a homeowner having to get a shovel out of the garage to clear 30-60 feet of sidewalk probably doesn't have to coordinate near as much manpower/equipment as compared to the city clearing hundreds of kilometers of roads.

This city. Other cities do fine with 24 hours.

I think it comes down to this:

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Probably more to do with the "Alberta Syndrome"

Boss: You guys need to work overtime to get this done
Workers: Fuck you
Boss: Fine, just come to work on time
Workers: Fuck this, I am going to work for another company which is willing to pay me more money
Boss: Crap... Fine, show up whenever you like and here is a raise.

codetrap
09-21-2011, 10:03 AM

How to "magically" know when it will snow! (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html)

Alternativitely.. other methods of divination (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&biw=1280&bih=610&q=how+to+tell+if+it%27s+snowing+outside&oq=how+to+tell+if+it%27s+snowing+outside&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=461l1412l0l1546l8l8l0l7l0l0l176l176l0.1l1l0)

If it's snowing, then don't park in a snow route.

swak
09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
I would love to see this!

Winnipeg has been doing this for years, and it has worked great for them. However, i do park on my street in front of my house, due to not having much of a garage.

SO... Since Winnipeg is designed quite differently, i do believe that they would have to make exceptions for communities (such as mine) w/out parking pads/dbl car garages at every home.

EDIT: Looking at the map posted, my street is one of the affected streets.... F- this haha.

speedog
09-21-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

This city. Other cities do fine with 24 hours.

I think it comes down to this:

Do you know for a fact that these other cities do fine in 24 hours because I suspect that there are probably many citizens in those other cities who would beg to differ.

Never the less, isn't it rather pointless to be beating this whole issue to death when none of us even knows what the exact details are regarding what roads will be tagged as snow routes and how the whole process will be performed? Really, we should be all waiting for the Markham post on this subject - he'll get us the real dirt on this issue.

kenny
09-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Seems there is always a crowd complaining every time something changes lol.

The City is likely putting 72 hours on the sign as a worse case scenario. If its cleared, parking can resume. No big deal. Basically, get the hell out of the way till its cleared.

It will be on all Priority 1 and 2 routes. Covers most major roads and bus routes. You can see a map of it here: (red and blue lines).

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Documents/snow_ice_control/snow_and_ice_control_sanding_map_p1.pdf

benyl
09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Why does a Beyond bitch fest always start?

They are clearing the snow, get your car the fuck out of the way. Why is that so hard?

Abeo
09-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Do you know for a fact that these other cities do fine in 24 hours because I suspect that there are probably many citizens in those other cities who would beg to differ.

I grew up in Ottawa, have dealt with snow storms in at least 20 different major towns or cities in the area, all of which get more snow than Calgary. The reason you hear so many "outsiders" complain here is they know how well its done elsewhere.

speedog
09-21-2011, 10:48 AM

I grew up in Ottawa, have dealt with snow storms in at least 20 different major towns or cities in the area, all of which get more snow than Calgary. The reason you hear so many "outsiders" complain here is they know how well its done elsewhere. So you're saying that everyone in these other cities is happy with the way things are done there?

On a side note, the ward 6 alderman has posted up a bit more information at this link (http://www.calgary.ca/Aldermen/Pages/Ward-Offices/Ward-6/Ward-6-newsletters.aspx) - still not enough information though to warrant the assumptions people are making in this thread.

Tik-Tok
09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by benyl

They are clearing the snow, get your car the fuck out of the way. Why is that so hard?

Because people expect everything to magically happen for the better, without having to change a single thing in their life to let it happen.

Fuck towing, too costly. Put up the signs, and if a car is there during plowing, let 'em bury it. It will only take someone digging their car out ONCE to get the message and never do it again. The only exception might be high density residence areas (apartments/condo's), where there is no choice but to park on the street.

Abeo
09-21-2011, 10:53 AM
So you're saying that everyone in these other cities is happy with the way things are done there?

Where did you see me say that?

speedog
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM

Where did you see me say that? You didn't, but you did effectively sidestep my question of "everyone in these other cities is happy with the way things are done there?" There will be complainers/unhappy people everywhere despite what any municipal government does and Calgary will be no different as made evident by this thread and the lack of information we have regarding Calgary's upcoming changes. Yeah, some people will no doubt be inconvenienced by the upcoming changes in Calgary, but these few inconveniences will probably be a fair trade-off for hopefully better maintained winter streets.

Anyhow, seeing as there was some frost on the lawn this morning, there should be a Beyond pool started to bet on when the next all-season vs winter tire thread is started - this is another annual Beyond event full of complainers and haters (yeah, I know, way off topic). Anyhow, here's to hoping that Calgary gets this snow route thing done somewhat right and there's nothing stopping knowledgeable Calgarians from calling 311 or their alderperson (??? is that what they're called now) to share their experience's/knowledge of how things are done elsewhere - too much information in the hands of those that will formulate the snow route policies can't be a bad thing, no?

frizzlefry
09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
... And this is why I’ll never live anywhere without a dedicated parking spot

phreezee
09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
Next I hope they ticket people who build huge snow banks on the street instead of on their lawn.

speedog
09-21-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by phreezee
Next I hope they ticket people who build huge snow banks on the street instead of on their lawn. They already can - you, as an affected citizen, can call 311 to lodge a complaint. Bylaw Services is more than happy to come out and look at called-in problems - I've trained many a renter/homeowner in my neighborhood to shovel their sidewalks, but I usually wait until their sidewalks have become a 6 inch deep solid mess of compacted ice. Have also trained one neighbor not to park and do mechanical work front steering/suspension of his commercial 30+ foot commercial reefer truck on the hill in front of his house - yeah, the front end was up on jack stands (wheels off) and that rear was chocked with firewood and no one was around. 311/Bylaw Services can be your friend.

CapnCrunch
09-21-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Wait until the winter when we get snow. All you'll see are threads like "Fuck Calgary, my lowered Civic has been stuck for days. CLEAR THE F-ING ROADS!!!"

speedog
09-21-2011, 12:10 PM
My wife brought a very good point - the same people who are complaining about these upcoming snow routes and having to move their parked vehicles are probably the same ones who have complained in the past about the city plowing their vehicles in while parked on these same roads. There is no happy medium it would seem.

swak
09-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Little off-topic, but a good story to illustrate peoples ignorance on snow removal in this city:

I drove by some old ladys car, who was stuck in the snow, and being an idiot, she was spinning her tires and got REALLY stuck. So I pulled a shovel out of the back of my truck (yes pick-up driver not being an asshole) and told her I'd help her out.

After digging, she was spinning her tires more, I was staying calm, but getting pissed as I'm trying to direct her out, but in her mind I guess faster = better... Meh. So I dug more, she got out of her car and started yelling at me for throwing some of the snow onto her street (as I'm getting her car out)
WTF!!! Right then and there, I just walked away and recommended she call a tow truck.

/end.

.. You can't please anyone anymore it seems.

AndyL
09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Bright shiney nickle says it'll be like street cleaning - dragged around the corner, >50$ ticket...

:D you know I'm happy about this :D

Feruk
09-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Wow this is so stupid. I lived in Calgary for 15 years and had a look at the roads in the NW they planned to enforce this law on. With only one notable exception in 15 years, I have NEVER seen any issues of these side roads slowing down traffic.

Traffic in Calgary during the winter is a nightmare, but it's due to idiot Calgarians driving 20 below the speed limit at the first sign of snow. Waste of money!

hampstor
09-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Unless i'm reading the priority road map wrong, some of these P1 roads have a lot of street parking, including parts of downtown Calgary. If the ban is up to 72 hours, where are all those people going to park?

It's all nice that they want to do this - but the vehicles that are normally there have to go somewhere else. I hope whoever decided this plan has taken that into account.

Originally posted by phreezee
Next I hope they ticket people who build huge snow banks on the street instead of on their lawn.

Depending on where the snow is being moved from, it's actually allowed (ie: adjacent sidewalk to the road).

CapnCrunch
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
Unless i'm reading the priority road map wrong, some of these P1 roads have a lot of street parking, including parts of downtown Calgary. If the ban is up to 72 hours, where are all those people going to park?

It's not going to take 72 hours to clean every road. They're just giving themselves some leeway.

Downtown will be done within hours of a snowstorm, just like usual.

dirtsniffer
09-21-2011, 02:51 PM
in fernie they have winter rules. sun-tues-thursday you cant park on one side of the street, mon-wed-fri you cant park on the other side. that way they can plow when ever it snows and still do most of the road, get the other side the next night. mind you, htey get a lot more snow out here. usually 8-10 metres a year.

hampstor
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

It's not going to take 72 hours to clean every road. They're just giving themselves some leeway.

Downtown will be done within hours of a snowstorm, just like usual.

I agree 72 hours definitely gives the city leeway on the P1 roads. I haven't read the actual bylaw itself tho and will probably go and look for it to get some more clarity on how it's structured.

I certainly hope it's structured so that after they clear the road, you can park there. The last thing we want to see is someone in Parking to get overzealous with the letter of the law.

kenny
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by hampstor

It's all nice that they want to do this - but the vehicles that are normally there have to go somewhere else. I hope whoever decided this plan has taken that into account.

Forgot where I read this, but the City said they would only have snow routes on East/West roads (Avenues) in the Central business district and not North/South roads. I think parking impact will be minimal. They should be able to clear downtown (if its free of parked cars) in an hour or two.

Xtrema
09-21-2011, 03:28 PM
1) Do you live on the bus route?

2) Is the street in front of your house the only parking spot Within 2 block radius?

Yes to both and you earn yourself right to complain to city hall.

Otherwise, just let them do their job.

71car2
09-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Heh, I see that the city had put one street as a P2 route - it's like few minutes away from me. My street isn't the one so I have nothing to worry about the parking.

...However, it's the driving on this street is the problem. The snow plows never clean since it's not an important street. I should start looking for a winter beater now to be ready for the upcoming snow season.

Arrgh, now I remember I need to buy couple of winter tires! - mine are in need of replacing. :banghead:

urban.one
10-05-2011, 07:36 AM
Council plows ahead on snow parking ban
By Renato Gandia ,Calgary Sun
First posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 08:52 PM MDT | Updated: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 08:57 PM MDT

Council made snow day parking bans for major routes official Tuesday, allowing crews to plow open roads during major storms.

Starting immediately it will be illegal to park along priority routes when the city has declared a “snow event,” including downtown, where finding spots is expected to get worse this winter.

The ban will be declared for 72 hours when five or more centimetres of snow has fallen on the ground.

Mayor Naheed Nenshi quizzed Ryan Jestin, the city’s director of roads, on how to fix the potential parking problem downtown.

“I just can’t get my head around on a 72-hour parking ban on every downtown street,” said the mayor.

Jestin said his department is working on a solution that makes sense, which may include notifying downtown businesses immediately once parking is allowed again after crews have done their job.

“We’ve always treated the business district slightly different,” he said.

Dean Bell, manager of roads maintenance, said administration may revisit how the new policy will work for downtown, after hearing concerns a three-day parking ban could significantly hurt businesses’ bottom line.

Nenshi also asked why the ban is set at 72 hours instead of when the street is plowed.

Jestin said the policy allows for some flexibility, which means a ban can be lifted once the work is done.

The ban can also be extended if a storm persists, such as prolonged storms the city experienced last winter.

The mayor also questioned why the pilot project is being done on both Priority 1 and 2 routes in all quadrants, instead of starting out with just Priority 1 routes in just one quadrant.

Jestin said it would be tough to judge if the project is effective should the test be limited to one quadrant because the severity of storm can be different from one community to another.

Sometimes the north gets more snow than the rest of the city and vice-versa, he said.

Residents can find out if a ban is in effect or has been lifted by calling 311, following Twitter and Facebook feeds, or via the media.

[email protected]

On Twitter: SUNRenatoGandia

Ca_Silvia13
10-05-2011, 08:08 AM
This is such a dumb idea on so many levels, perhaps the program works in other major cities but 72 hours without parking on the streets? Thats more of an inconvenience than putting up with the snow.

:facepalm:

Cos
10-05-2011, 08:14 AM
Just my $0.02. They should do it like street sweeping. First 24 hours after a snowfall everyone off the even side of the street. Next 24 hours everyone off the odd side of the street.

That way parking isnt totally shut down and it also gets plowed off the parking stalls.

Type_S1
10-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Just my $0.02. They should do it like street sweeping. First 24 hours after a snowfall everyone off the even side of the street. Next 24 hours everyone off the odd side of the street.

That way parking isnt totally shut down and it also gets plowed off the parking stalls.

That seems super inefficient to make our limited trucks come back to the same community twice. I used to live on a main road and when it snowed every vehicle of mine would be moved so the plow would make it easy for me to park. Then you have a few retards who didn't move and it fked the whole plowing of the road up and then they try and park in your spots because they are the idiots who the trucks plowed around. 72hrs seems like a long time but once you see how stupid people are, then how they try to screw other people over because of their stupidity or laziness....screw them...ticket and tow. I wish the ticket was $500.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
This is such a dumb idea on so many levels, perhaps the program works in other major cities but 72 hours without parking on the streets? Thats more of an inconvenience than putting up with the snow.

:facepalm: You do know this isn't going to apply to 99% of the residential streets, right?

Guillermo
10-05-2011, 09:12 AM

why is it dumb? are you satisfied with the level of service we have now? have you ever been to a city where they have parking bans during snow emergencies?

Calgary is 70 years behind the rest of north america in implementing this plan, IMO it's about time. now we only need to increase the snow removel budget, buy a proper fleet of trucks, and hire people to drive them.

Xtrema
10-05-2011, 09:35 AM

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Documents/snow_ice_control/snow_and_ice_control_sanding_map_p1.pdf

Read this again. Only applies to highlighted routes. You don't live on these route (which most shouldn't), you will be fine.

So, if we get snow on every 3-4 days, there will be no street parking in DT allowed, right?

Impark is gonna rake it in this winter.

Ca_Silvia13
10-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
You do know this isn't going to apply to 99% of the residential streets, right?

Doesn't it apply to all Bus travelled routes? That's quite a bit in the residential areas.

Originally posted by Guillermo

why is it dumb? are you satisfied with the level of service we have now? have you ever been to a city where they have parking bans during snow emergencies?

Calgary is 70 years behind the rest of north america in implementing this plan, IMO it's about time. now we only need to increase the snow removel budget, buy a proper fleet of trucks, and hire people to drive them.

Yes i am satisfied with last years snow removal plan. IMO, people - the owners and operators of their vehicles need to take more proactive approach to driving in the winter. IMO, the province should mandate winter tires on vehicles in the province. Rather than looking at spending more and more money on snow removal.

Originally posted by Xtrema

Read this again. Only applies to highlighted routes. You don't live on these route (which most shouldn't), you will be fine.

So correct me if i am wrong here but ANY coloured street applies to this new system?

kenny
10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
So correct me if i am wrong here but ANY coloured street applies to this new system?

No, just Priority 1 and Priority 2. There are about 10 city blocks in total that are exempt though because there is no alternative parking nearby.

This map is better:
http://www.cocnmp.com/snic/

The City will be adding a new layer to it later that will show the snow routes but for now, its a rough approximation of the snow routes.

Guillermo
10-06-2011, 11:35 AM

Yes i am satisfied with last years snow removal plan. IMO, people - the owners and operators of their vehicles need to take more proactive approach to driving in the winter. IMO, the province should mandate winter tires on vehicles in the province. Rather than looking at spending more and more money on snow removal.

snow tires don't help you drive a car through deep ruts in 1.5-foot-deep compacted ice. they also don't help you stop better on ice.

what about city vehicles, would we have to outfit each ambulance and fire truck with snow tires too? remember when 3 or 4 houses burned down because the snow was too deep for firetrucks to get up the road? :banghead:

dirtsniffer
10-06-2011, 12:44 PM
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/truck-tire-testing-update-stopping-on-ice-ice-baby.html
yup, winter tires help to stop on ice

interesting vid

GlYEMH10Z4s

kamakurakid
10-06-2011, 12:48 PM
This has been the policy in Montreal for decades, worked perfectly when I lived there. Good on Calgary city hall for taking action.

Now if the province would only require winter tires on all private vehicles, winter driving in this city would be smoother for sure. One day last winter had to drive an extra 90 minutes on my work to home commute due to all the accidents after a snow dusting and bad drivers with no winter tires. Easily added up to many, many hours and possible days I wasted in my car over the winter.

Guillermo
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2011/03/truck-tire-testing-update-stopping-on-ice-ice-baby.html
yup, winter tires help to stop on ice

interesting vid

GlYEMH10Z4s

ok, maybe they help you stop a bit better on ice, but even with winter tires you still slide on ice and have much longer stopping times vs. pavement. that's how it's always been in my cars, anyhow.

Ca_Silvia13
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

snow tires don't help you drive a car through deep ruts in 1.5-foot-deep compacted ice. they also don't help you stop better on ice.

what about city vehicles, would we have to outfit each ambulance and fire truck with snow tires too? remember when 3 or 4 houses burned down because the snow was too deep for firetrucks to get up the road? :banghead:

Not all of us live in Saddletown where the wind makes snow drifts 6' high.

How about 30 years ago when 90% of vehicles on the road where V8 RWD? They managed alright getting through 2' snow drifts uphill boths ways...

kenny
10-06-2011, 04:04 PM
The City has made an update to the Snow Route Bylaw already. In all the city's BRZs there will only be an overnight parking ban (9pm until 6am).

This makes way more sense.

I Bet the CPA is pissed though.

Porsche_55
10-11-2011, 06:40 PM
In alot of major cities they don’t plow their high traffic / parking areas, they have that snow vacuum. I think this would be a great alternative .

Sugarphreak
11-10-2011, 09:34 AM

codetrap
11-10-2011, 10:03 AM
That MAP is incomplete. I see snow route signage on lots of roads not shown on there.

powerslave
11-10-2011, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
That MAP is incomplete. I see snow route signage on lots of roads not shown on there.

Are you talking about the map Kenny posted?
Did you select both Priority 1 and Priority 2?

Seemed pretty up to date to me.

codetrap
11-10-2011, 04:07 PM
No, I missed that one. It covers off the routes that I've seen.

rage2
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/Roads/Pages/Road-Maintenance/Snow-and-ice-control/Snow-Route-parking-bans.aspx?redirect=/snow

The City of Calgary has issued a Snow Event advisory. Snow Route parking bans are expected to be in effect starting at 8 p.m. on Wednesday, November 30. Vehicles parked on Snow Routes must be moved to allow for plowing.

Well that's retarded. Most of the snow has already melted, even on the streets. :rofl:

edit - and they just cancelled it.

Idiot Stick
11-30-2011, 04:12 PM
There is a city wide roadside parking ban in the winter in Moncton, NB.

Nobody says anything about it, except those idiots that park on the road.

adam c
11-30-2011, 04:25 PM
they were plowing blackfoot even though it was clear earlier today and holding up traffic.. idiots