PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your dog when you go snowboarding?

Mar
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Been wanting to get a dog for years but I leave at 7:30am every second Saturday and get home at 6pm. That too long to leave a dog in the house for without making a mess?

chkolny541
09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
My mom is fortunate enough to work from home, so she walks the dogs every 4-5 hours while im at school and my dad is at work. My gf kennels her dog when her whole family leaves for work/school and he is there for like ~6-7 hours, usually someone gets home by like 3 or so, IMO thats stretching the limit. But almost 11 hours is just not going to work. Dogs need alot of attention, dont get one if you cant commit the time to it, simple as that, not fair for the animal

So unless you can find someone to go over and give him a walk at least once while your gone (everytime you wanna go out), either you should sacrifice one or the other: the dog, or snowboarding constantly:dunno:

ercchry
09-22-2011, 02:36 PM
for the past 14 years my mom's dog has been left from 6:45am-5pm mess free

...well besides when he was a puppy, puppies need lots of attention

Kloubek
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
I agree with that chkolny. Having a dog is a big commitment; we got one two months ago, and it has been a ton of work with training - housetraining in particular. A puppy just can't last long without having to take a piss.

It also means you can't go on any vacations without arranging care for the dog, and even a weekend jaunt into the countryside could become problematic.

Get a cat. They can last for days on their own.

desi112
09-22-2011, 02:42 PM
garage

chkolny541
09-22-2011, 02:44 PM
agreed, puppies are like every 20 minutes!

My dogs are also much older though, 1 is 13 the other is 11, so "accidents" are starting to happen unfortunatly. So walking for my family is very rigorous, "middle aged " dogs can certainly hold it for much longer, but 10-11+ hours is just pushing it, need to have em walked in between. Get a cat.

phreezee
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Build a dog run with heated dog house.

Tomaz
09-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

Yup,

This is what we do. Before we just let our dogs go "free range", they had a 10 x 40 outdoor area and access to a cages section of heated garage about 6x8, lamp, food, water. The only issue I have with this system is that if the power goes out in winter, it can get mighty cold in a hurry. Our dog is fine for sub-zero, but not every dog can handle it.

Or previous dog just stayed in the house all day. Knocked the door when he wanted out, rang the doorbell when he wanted in.

Guillermo
09-22-2011, 03:54 PM

this would obviously be the best option. it's not too difficult or expensive if you have a garage with extra space.

wintonyk
09-22-2011, 04:24 PM
find a girlfriend that doesn't ski

reese
09-22-2011, 04:36 PM
In your case, getting/hiring a dog walker for "day trips" would works best for you IMO. Depending where you are, there are tons ... you might even run into some when you go to the dog park and such.

sevewone
09-22-2011, 05:20 PM

And let it bark all day outside annoying the shit out of your neighbors? I think having a dog that barks constantly outside is frickin trashy & inconsiderate. I would go with the garage idea so if he craps or pisses in the garage who cares.

GT4rally
09-22-2011, 05:38 PM
Large dogs are a LOT better than small dogs at holding it for long periods... also depends somewhat on the breed.

I have a 2 year-old Golden that has been left for 14+ hours and NEVER messed (as long as he goes before you leave), but the 7 year-old Setter we have will leave a mess in as little as 4 hours alone.

Mar
09-22-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
Get a cat.
Honestly I think I'd hang myself before I got a cat! My girlfriend asked me if I would ever get a cat and my roommate made me swear I never would. I've never had one so I'd have no idea how to train it, nor care for it.

Originally posted by Tomaz
Or previous dog just stayed in the house all day. Knocked the door when he wanted out, rang the doorbell when he wanted in.
That's wicked!

Originally posted by wintonyk
find a girlfriend that doesn't ski
Got one but I want to bring her out sometimes.

Originally posted by sevewone
I would go with the garage idea so if he craps or pisses in the garage who cares.
Garage is insulated but not heated so it probably hovers around 0 in the winter. Maybe I could get a space heater and plug it in, kind of extreme measures just to get a dog though.

I should also mention I've grown up with dogs my whole life, kind of miss it since I moved out of my parents' house.

projekz
09-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I've got the same dilemma. I want a dog but I have nobody to take care of it for weekends away or holidays. I'll just hold off for a while until I can figure these things out.

redline
09-22-2011, 08:30 PM
I have a lab that is totally fine in cars, we bring him with us skiing, and leave him in the car with lots of blankets so he stays warm. Cuts about 3 hours off his alone time and bathroom breaks. This works well for us but we are also fair weather skiers so we don't go on really cold days.

ddduke
09-22-2011, 09:03 PM
Get a doggy door, they're like $50 and take an hour to install if you're a retard. It'll make your like much easier both with skiing and just every day.

Mar
09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ddduke
Get a doggy door, they're like $50 and take an hour to install if you're a retard. It'll make your like much easier both with skiing and just every day.
Both front and back doors are glass. And there's no fence.

Chester
09-23-2011, 08:13 AM
I had a dog run with a heated house and my dog was also okay to leave in the house for 8-9 hours mess free.

clem24
09-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by reese
In your case, getting/hiring a dog walker for "day trips" would works best for you IMO. Depending where you are, there are tons ... you might even run into some when you go to the dog park and such.

Right here.. It's about $20-25 per walk. They come to your house, grab your dog, go for a hour or 2 hour stroll, and then put them back and lock up. A good chance to socialize with other dogs too.

Yes dogs can hold it in (actually I know HUMANS that refuse to use bathrooms other than ones in their own homes so they hold it ALL DAY at work - CRAZY). Anyway, even if they can do it, I can't help but feel bad. A few occasions, my dogs had diarrhea and because no one was around, was basically forced to do it by the door. I do feel bad for my dog cause she must've been running around in a panic and trying to hold it in as much as she could. So I guess if you must do this option, confine them to a smaller space like the laundry room.

codetrap
09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Maybe I could get a space heater and plug it in, kind of extreme measures just to get a dog though.

Not trying to be a dick, but if this is your attitude, then perhaps you're not ready for a dog, and the lifestyle adaptations required. They are a great deal of responsibility. You have to remember that you have a life, going out, friends, work etc.. They have you. That's it.

When you get a puppy, the general rule of thumb you can expect to them to hold it in for 1 hour for every month of age. Asking them to hold it in for 12 hours is a bit long.. lots can do it, but it's not really fair to them. You try holding it for 12 hours, while drinking normally.. personally, I'd probably end up having an accident. You also mentioned that you're not fenced in, so you're going to have to deal with a stake/cable situation, or if you're willing to do it right, a zipline and leash. Less chance of entanglement. (see what I did there? physics thread)

Are you also prepared for the additional mess in your home? Dog hair floating on everything? Toys spread around.. chewed up shoes etc (when they're little).. dog training classes (if you're responsible).. dog food costs.. vet bills.. time taken walking every day... increased maintenance in your yard, ie dead spots in the grass from dogpiss, cleaning up dog turds.. picking up turds when you go for walks.. etc..

Like I said before, I'm not trying to be a dick here. But having dogs growing up where your parents basically take care of them is a huge difference to taking care of one yourself. Personally, I wouldn't trade Gracie for the world.. she's a totally awesome dog and it warms my heart when she leans into my 3 yr olds hugs and smiles a doggy smile.

Freeskier
09-23-2011, 01:05 PM
Me and my brother were always 100% responsible for our dogs. If we didn't walk them they didn't go out. All 4 members of our family had work or school and we'd leave the dog at home. Our laundry room was "his" space with his bed, food and water. We built a gate so that we could shut him in the room, but leave the light off and he'd still be able to see into the house. He also had a dogflap into an area of the back yard that was fenced off for him. It worked super well, but I don't know if this is feasable for you.
Codetrap is right but it sounds like you've got experience with dogs, so I'm sure you know what to expect.

Tearin
09-23-2011, 08:54 PM
I've used the doggie daycare in Banff (Veronica's grooming & daycare). Dropped dog (husky) off on the way in and picked him up on way out. Dog had a blast.

Mar
09-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Tearin
I've used the doggie daycare in Banff (Veronica's grooming & daycare). Dropped dog (husky) off on the way in and picked him up on way out. Dog had a blast.
Interesting, are they open at 9am?

dj_rice
09-23-2011, 10:27 PM
When I got my dog, he was 3 month old puppy. I used 2 weeks of my holidays to get him house trained, and etc. Luckily he was semi-potty trained already from the breeder.

I wake up at 6:30am to let him out for his first pee/poop and then by 8am I'm out the door for work and he goes in his kennel. I get home around 4-5 and no mess. He has had 4-5 accidents since the 3 years I've owned him but its my own fault for not letting him out all those times.

But yes, having a dog changes your lifestyle ALOT. There are days where I want to go out with friends but then since I have no sitter, I have to cancel. But its worth it in the end coming home and he's so excited to see you.

Mar
09-23-2011, 10:35 PM
Do they make kennels for dogs the size of a small bear?

dj_rice
09-23-2011, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Do they make kennels for dogs the size of a small bear?

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3765125t400.jpg

Availible at Petsmart

thager
09-23-2011, 10:48 PM
my cousin has a dog walikng buisness.
http://allpawsin.wordpress.com/

Mar
09-23-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

http://pet.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pPETS-3765125t400.jpg

Availible at Petsmart
Need the grass obstacle free when the guys come randomly to do the mowing. I'm restricted to my concrete slab for playtoys outside.

This idea is getting less feasible by the day, I'm glad I posted it here.

To end it, here's a cool video to watch:

72RaaroSfuY

SFmYaO6Ixdw

s90Lqp9u12E

Tearin
09-23-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Interesting, are they open at 9am?

Yes. I think they open at 8 and close at 6.