PDA

View Full Version : How do I get music on his iPod Nano using Linux?

Mar
09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
I've tried Banshee, Rhythmbox, Amarok and GTKPOD, some of them synchronize the music but when I disconnect (using proper eject), there's no music listed on the device. I don't understand why they had to make it so complicated, I actually ripped my CD collection onto my computer from the actual albums I bought.

Mibz
09-22-2011, 03:19 PM
What distro, and do you seriously not have Wine?

ipeefreely
09-22-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
do you seriously not have Wine?

I've only played a little bit with ubuntu but I was thinking that... :dunno:

Mar
09-22-2011, 07:50 PM
Ubuntu, latest version. I don't want to use iTunes, if I wanted to get dumber I would bang my head on a desk. It's less frustrating than trying to use proprietary software.

Mibz
09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Ubuntu has built-in iPod functionality and the second part came off as "I'm too stupid to use software that little girls and seniors can use". I know you're not that stupid. Stop wasting time.

Mar
09-22-2011, 09:23 PM
Ubuntu has built-in iPod functionality and the second part came off as "I'm too stupid to use software that little girls and seniors can use". I know you're not that stupid. Stop wasting time.
So where is this functionality? I've been 2 days trying to do this. If it's really that easy, perhaps someone already hooked this thing up to a Macintosh or Windows and then returned it, leaving the file system unreadable and perceivably corrupt.

Mibz
09-22-2011, 09:25 PM
You should see an "iPod" icon on the desktop when you plug it in. It's had proper compatibility for years so if it's not working for you then, yeah, it could be a problem with the iPod.

EDIT: I owe you an apology. The functionality was native and then they removed it. Sorry man. I still recommend using Wine and iTunes though :P

Mar
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
You should see an "iPod" icon on the desktop when you plug it in. It's had proper compatibility for years so if it's not working for you then, yeah, it could be a problem with the iPod.

EDIT: I owe you an apology. The functionality was native and then they removed it. Sorry man. I still recommend using Wine and iTunes though :P

I see the iPod, I can open it up and view files. How do I get songs on it? Dragging them don't work, they need to be converted, Apple products use some sort of listed database storage or something weird like that. I read it last night, can't remember right now. Using Apple is like brain cell genocide.

And no worries, I appreciate anyone trying to help. I just need to get this done for tomorrow, client wants it. I honestly have a dual boot with Windows 7, I just don't want to boot into it, wait 10 days for the updates to finish, then download iTunes, then try and figure it out.

ipeefreely
09-23-2011, 08:09 AM
I still recommend using Wine and iTunes though :P

I'd use Wine with Winamp. :thumbsup:

Winamp has support for portable devices. I just do the smallest installation and then use a plug-in (ml ipod) with the library and drag and drop to my ipod.

I’ve used iTune once then searched for alternatives right after. Maybe it’s just too simple but I couldn’t figure out how to do simple tasks with it (this was also back in 2005 so maybe it’s improved? :nut: )

edit: added plug-in name