PDA

View Full Version : Need info source on 70s Chryslers

Cooked Rice
09-25-2011, 04:52 PM
Recently I've been back to my old home town to visit the folks. Which includes passing by my uncle's old place. I thought he had sold the place and moved as there was this old black land yacht of a car parked out on it's gravel driveway. My grandmother passed away last week and I was in town this weekend for the funeral. I asked my uncle if he had moved and he told me he's still at the same house. Which got me curious, so I asked what that vehicle was parked outside. It's a fifth-gen Chrysler Newport. Which he mentioned was his first car. A light lit up in my head. I had totally forgot about this thing. Growing up as a little kid my uncle lived with us, but I never remembered this car. It was always parked under a car cover stowed away in the corner of the house. And when he moved it was always parked in the detached garage. And of course when I was young I didn't give 2 hoots about cars. So it's been parked for pretty much the last 25 years or so. He asked me if I wanted it. Well I have not a clue about these things, but wouldn't mind trying my luck at getting it back on the road again. Anyone know a thing or two about these? Or have any sources for info?

master hec0
09-25-2011, 05:34 PM
squirt some gas in the carb and it will probably fire right up.

Rat Fink
09-25-2011, 06:37 PM

racerjim
09-25-2011, 09:20 PM
I love the C-bodies as well, such nice driving cars. ive got a few around if you need some parts or a new project car.

Most important thing to start with when fixing one of these up is the brakes like said above, ive got a 67 Polara wagon i drive on occasion and the master cylinder quit working out of the blue. Lucky they still sell them and it was a pretty cheap fix.

Have fun with it.

95teetee
09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink
The best thing to do if you don't care about staying fully original is to use the front disc knuckles from a '73 model. With '73 spindles you can use the later 70s style 1 piece rotors and calipers are easy to come by.

nice call here- I'm thinking about taking the front discs off my '73 Scamp and putting them on my '72 Duster (and changing the rear axles in the 8 3/4 to BBP ones)
/hijack:D

oh yeah, and like master hec0 said-throw some gas at her and see what happens. Might want to put in new plugs and sand/file the points beforehand too (unless it's electronic ignition of course).

03ozwhip
09-26-2011, 03:19 PM
bag the FUCK out of it!!!

510-Trevor
09-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Those are great old cars with lots of potential.
As for good websites, there are lots. Best bet is to Google C Body Mopar and go from there.