PDA

View Full Version : Flat roofing

streetdreams
09-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I have a 24x24 garage with a flat roof (tar and gravel) in very bad shape. The previous owner did not install the materials properly and placed no drain on the roof so the water just pools. I would like to if possible have it slightly sloped so it can drain to one side. I would also consider doing a low slope truss system over it which i would like to avoid because of the view we have from the roof top. Does anyone know any contractors that have experience in flat roof or could offer some questions on what i should do. I will try to add some pictures of it tonight.

CapnCrunch
09-26-2011, 12:05 PM
You could taper some 2X8's and add them on top (perpendicular) to the existing roof trusses/joists. Then re-sheet over top of it. You can do a 1 or 2% slope to one side and still be able to use it as a deck.

Actually, you'd probably need to use 2x10's or 12's to get enough slope this way.

CapnCrunch
09-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Or you could rip up the roofing and add a tapered 2x4 directly on top of the existing joists? That might work out better if you don't want to raise the roof level up very much.

Porsche_55
10-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
You could taper some 2X8's and add them on top (perpendicular) to the existing roof trusses/joists. Then re-sheet over top of it. You can do a 1 or 2% slope to one side and still be able to use it as a deck.

Actually, you'd probably need to use 2x10's or 12's to get enough slope this way.

Why wouldn't you just demo what existing and put up new trusses. Your going to be doing all the work, might as well do it right, instead of building on top of already sh!t.

streetdreams
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Only issue with doing that is there is a huge steel I beam that spans the middle, and i would rather not ruin the view i have with the flat roof.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/streetdreams/roof.jpg

CapnCrunch
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
You could leave the sheathing on and taper over top of it.

What supporting the beam? Any way you could raise it up a few inches and have the water slope to either side?

Or raise one end of the beam up and have it slope to the low end of the beam?

CapnCrunch
10-04-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Porsche_55

Why wouldn't you just demo what existing and put up new trusses. Your going to be doing all the work, might as well do it right, instead of building on top of already sh!t.

What's sh!t? The old trusses? Why would you buy new ones if the old ones are fine?

Porsche_55
10-11-2011, 03:50 PM

What's sh!t? The old trusses? Why would you buy new ones if the old ones are fine?

Its ok little boy I know you really don’t know anything about construction. There is a pool on the roof. Do you thinks the trusses have water damaged or any of the other materials in the wall have water damage? At min I think that you need to start fresh.

Another easy fix is just to put a drain in the roof. Run PVC pipe from the low point in the roof and shoot the drain out the side of the wall.

CapnCrunch
10-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Its ok little boy I know you really don’t know anything about construction. There is a pool on the roof. Do you thinks the trusses have water damaged or any of the other materials in the wall have water damage? At min I think that you need to start fresh.

Another easy fix is just to put a drain in the roof. Run PVC pipe from the low point in the roof and shoot the drain out the side of the wall.

WTF? Little Boy? I'm a structural engineer you retard. I'm not just making this shit up. Grow up, learn to write properly, and let's have a discussion.

Unless there's water in the garage, the trusses aren't water damaged.

Porsche_55
10-12-2011, 08:18 AM

I'm a structural engineer you retard.

I'm a cop you idiot!!!! Dude if your a structural engineer than please I hope you work at a mcdonalds drive thru, cuz you should never be able to design anything.

tnuc
10-12-2011, 09:50 AM
My advice to you is there is probably no scuppers put in the sides as most flat roofs will have, depending on when your home was built,the slope, if there is a center drain and the building codes to date, could be numerous things. As Porsche says, you defiantly do not want water damage on your trusts, and should fix before the water damage spreads. I PM'd you with my information i could come take a look at it. You have various options of replacement that are more cost effective than tar and gravel, such as EPDM, TPO, Polymer. List goes on. About 99% of roofers will claim to know how to install these types of roofing, but have no idea at all.
:thumbsup:

CapnCrunch
10-12-2011, 12:42 PM

I'm a cop you idiot!!!! Dude if your a structural engineer than please I hope you work at a mcdonalds drive thru, cuz you should never be able to design anything.

Great argument. You know nothing about what you're talking about. I'm having a difficult time taking you seriously when you're dropping structural advice at the same time using words like cuz and dude.

Dude, ur joist are all rotted cuz de waterz rottin dem. Shit sun, ur fugin 'tarded yo.

Stick to the topic.

Porsche_55
10-12-2011, 02:01 PM

You know nothing about what you're talking about. Stick to the topic.

Ok so if your a structural Engineer you will know the answer to this question. On all flat roofs around the edge there is a short wall / stub wall, what is the name of that stub wall? :whipped:

CapnCrunch
10-13-2011, 08:19 AM

Ok so if your a structural Engineer you will know the answer to this question. On all flat roofs around the edge there is a short wall / stub wall, what is the name of that stub wall? :whipped:

A parapet is usually an architectural detail and has no structural purpose in most cases. Do you know what "structural" means? Lol.