PDA

View Full Version : Clean Diesel Engine last longer than Gas?

Tonny
09-26-2011, 06:28 PM
VW dealer sales told me Clean Diesel Engine last longer than Gas. I doubt how?

AE92_TreunoSC
09-26-2011, 06:34 PM
He wanted to sell you a diesel VW. He'll say whatever it takes. It's just hearsay.

jdmXSI
09-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Does a clean diesel operate any different than a conventional desiel engine? I know that conventional desiel engines have a longer life expectancy than gas engines do but the cost of injectors are usually quite a bit more... He may not be entirely wrong.

CompletelyNumb
09-26-2011, 07:49 PM
What the heck is clean diesel? I thought it was just low sulphur, which is at all pumps these days...

HiTempguy1
09-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Typically, diesel engines do not wear out as quick simply due to their need to be built stronger. Beyond that, it is tough to compare as there are not many mass produced light duty diesels around.

I have a 1993 turbo legacy (original motor) that has 430,000kms on it. Runs like a top. More often than not, it comes down to proper maintenance vs the engine itself.

Tik-Tok
09-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
What the heck is clean diesel? I thought it was just low sulphur, which is at all pumps these days...

Still not as low as most of Europe, I think they're down to 5ppm sulfer, and North America is still at 15ppm.

schocker
09-26-2011, 08:03 PM
Isn't the low stuff with the urea injection that they have now?
VW diesel engines are known to run to very high mileages tdi's are good far above say 300k if you were to check out tdiclub or other vw forums.

corsvette
09-26-2011, 08:18 PM
Diesels are built strong mainly because of the very high compression they run, they also rev much lower than a gas engine. Diesels tend to last a very long time, a family friend was the fleet manager for Pepsi, the VW Golfs they had for sales reps all had between 350-500,000kms when they retired them. Of the 5 cars only one ever needed major work when it blew a headgasket and overheated wrecking the rings, the rest were 100% original.

Its not uncommon to hear about million km Dodge trucks with Cummins engines, or Duramax GM's, any Mercedes diesel, and VW's. Modern "clean diesels" are just normal enough diesels with very advanced injection (VW has piezo injectors that can run 20,000+psi) and exhaust aftertreatment such as urea injection systems.

The downfall to modern diesels is maitenence and repair costs. Maitence is more due to increased oil capacity= more oil and the good diesel oils are pricey, fuel filters that need changing every other oil change, and fuel additives that you should run depending on use/season.

Repair costs are very expensive if something breaks, injectors, injector pump, turbo's, and the new emision components are all super pricey items to replace. All in all i think diesels are great for folks who do alot of driving, but for the average driver the cost buying and maintaining the engine may not be worth it.

Tonny
09-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by corsvette
Diesels are built strong mainly because of the very high compression they run, they also rev much lower than a gas engine. Diesels tend to last a very long time, a family friend was the fleet manager for Pepsi, the VW Golfs they had for sales reps all had between 350-500,000kms when they retired them. Of the 5 cars only one ever needed major work when it blew a headgasket and overheated wrecking the rings, the rest were 100% original.

Its not uncommon to hear about million km Dodge trucks with Cummins engines, or Duramax GM's, any Mercedes diesel, and VW's. Modern "clean diesels" are just normal enough diesels with very advanced injection (VW has piezo injectors that can run 20,000+psi) and exhaust aftertreatment such as urea injection systems.

The downfall to modern diesels is maitenence and repair costs. Maitence is more due to increased oil capacity= more oil and the good diesel oils are pricey, fuel filters that need changing every other oil change, and fuel additives that you should run depending on use/season.

Repair costs are very expensive if something breaks, injectors, injector pump, turbo's, and the new emision components are all super pricey items to replace. All in all i think diesels are great for folks who do alot of driving, but for the average driver the cost buying and maintaining the engine may not be worth it.

Good comments.
Diesel engine has more attractive fuel consumptions comparing with gas engine.

Tonny
09-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
He wanted to sell you a diesel VW. He'll say whatever it takes. It's just hearsay.

That's why I have this question

CapnCrunch
09-27-2011, 08:10 AM
I'd say a diesel should last longer than gas, but I wouldn't expect a vw to outlast anything else built today.

Diesel - Yes

VW Diesel - No way in hell

schocker
09-27-2011, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
I'd say a diesel should last longer than gas, but I wouldn't expect a vw to outlast anything else built today.

Diesel - Yes

VW Diesel - No way in hell
VW has been making diesels for quite a long time and the tdis are known to be very good, you just have to research it instead of assuming. They have been more reliable since the days say when your windows would fall in or the coil packs would go.

CapnCrunch
09-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by schocker

VW has been making diesels for quite a long time and the tdis are known to be very good, you just have to research it instead of assuming. They have been more reliable since the days say when your windows would fall in or the coil packs would go.

I know the engines are fine, honestly, there isn't a manufacturer out there that doesn't make a reliable engine. It's the rest of the car I would be worried about.

Maybe VW is better now, I don't know.

schocker
09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Gotcha.
I believe they are better than they used to be as they have addressed many of their problems and have also cheaped the hell out of the jetta and passat for example so there is now less to go wrong :rofl:

clem24
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I know nothing about diesels... What's with all the TDIs billowing out black smoke when they're only a few years old...

schocker
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
I think that is something to do with the injectors?
Also if you step hard onto the gas they smoke as well:rofl:
The new ones don't do this though, the old 1.9L was the culprit. One time I was driving behind a MK3 jetta tdi and it was smoking so bad it is like it was on fire. Vehicles must be maintained properly :rofl:

streethondas
09-27-2011, 11:30 AM
My dads tdi now has 330k on it original transmission! Changed the turbo/timing belt at 300k an it's still running like Its brand new!

heavyD
09-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by clem24
I know nothing about diesels... What's with all the TDIs billowing out black smoke when they're only a few years old...

Well there's a reason diesel engines are referred to as 'oil burners'.;)

dimi
09-27-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by streethondas
My dads tdi now has 330k on it original transmission!

Wow! :rofl:

btimbit
09-27-2011, 04:55 PM
The issue with used diesels is a lot of people don't know how to take care of them properly, but theoretically it will last a long long time.
What you save in fuel you make up in maintenance costs though.

zipdoa
09-27-2011, 06:40 PM
I used to drive a 96 Passat TDI with nearly 400,000KMS. I took it on a couple 2000KM+ roadtrips and wouldn't be suprised if it keeps going over 800,000KMs.

It's all about maintenance.

sillysod
09-27-2011, 07:40 PM
I hit almost 700,000kms on my old TDI Passat before my cousin clipped a guard rail and wrote it off. A well cared for diesel will last much longer than any gas. However a diesel is not nearly as tolerant of abuse as a gas. You can fire up a gas engine in -30c and drive off to work and it won't kill it - a diesel that doesn't warm up doesn't last very long.

There are 2 reasons you see diesels blowing black.

The most common is dirty air filter. THis causes the vehicle to run rich and blow black.

The second is the super patch dude with a chipped ECU that runs extra rich to help spool the turbo.

Blue smoke = cold, white smoke = death.

Diesel IMO is the best vehicle engine out there for commuting. Problem here is that everybody needs 300hp minivans and nobody maintains anything. In europe everybody runs diesels without any issues.

AE92_TreunoSC
09-27-2011, 08:11 PM
The problem is the salesman is referring to a modern diesel with heavy emissions, crazy oil specifications finicky electrics.

Any engine can last 1 million miles with service, its easy to say. But to say its better then any other engine doesn't make any sense.

Provided the oil consumption doesn't get out of hand generally a cast iron block diesel should cost less to get to a million but really its a dumb argument.

Buy a diesel for fuel economy, not endurance.

Tonny
09-27-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
...You can fire up a gas engine in -30c and drive off to work and it won't kill it - a diesel that doesn't warm up doesn't last very long.

Blue smoke = cold, white smoke = death.

...[/B]

Thanks for the good points about cold weather & colors.

J.D.
09-27-2011, 11:39 PM
Personally it depends on the car some diesels will take you to the end of the road others die real fast but realize diesel parts cost way more as due repairs and you cant just jump in and go in -35 you gotta wait for your glow plugs to start first then start her up.