PDA

View Full Version : Buying a non-running vehicle- insurance/reg question

J-hop
09-26-2011, 08:19 PM
so this question has probably been asked a million times but I can't find the answer. If I were to buy a vehicle to restore but it isn't running and won't pass a safety. What are my options in terms of insurance/registration?

I am under the impression you have a limited time after purchase to insure or register a vehicle, so does it automatically become salvage or rebuilt status?

school the newb :(

edit: if it is legal to have it uninsured and/or not registered that would be fine as it will spend this winter in a garage but I was under the impression this was not legal or that I may run into issue when I try to register/insure it in the spring

top_speed
09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
you dont have to insure or register the car as long as it is off public street. you can keep it in you garage for as long you like.

RZRSHARP_SVX
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
if you keep the bill of sale and all that what not. showing that you own the car when you choose to do all the above. you dont have to insure or register if you are storing it in the garage. it wont be rebuild or salvage unless a insurance claim for writing off the car.

top_speed
09-26-2011, 08:34 PM
EDIT: double post

J-hop
09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by top_speed
you dont have to insure or register the car as long as it is off public street. you can keep it in you garage for as long you like.

ok so it is just if you plan on driving it then? someone told me there was a 14 day rule but they may have been mistaken.

RZRSHARP_SVX
09-26-2011, 08:39 PM
you can get a in-transit pass which is good for 14 days and it doesnt matter when you do it.

Kloubek
09-26-2011, 08:47 PM
You can use your old plate/insurance for up to 14 days to get it home. After that point, it is correct- you need not insure or register it... just make sure you keep the proof of purchase in a safe place. I've owned vehicles for well over a year before getting them back on the road before.

Arthur Dent
09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
If it is a classic you can get classic car insurance on it even if it isn't registered. Can't drive it obviously without registration but insured against theft and fire. Plus it is cheap.

J-hop
09-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
If it is a classic you can get classic car insurance on it even if it isn't registered. Can't drive it obviously without registration but insured against theft and fire. Plus it is cheap.

When I bought tenant insurance I paid extra to have the contents of my garage covered, I wonder if this would cover it? I'm not concerned about that too much though. It would be tough to steal a car on blocks and if a fire happens I wouldn't be to concerned as it isn't going to be a big investment until further down the road.

Just wanted to make sure that i wasn't doing anything illegal or that could screw me over when I try to insure/register it down the road

J.D.
09-27-2011, 11:35 PM
This 14 day change policy can be very hard to get out if u r in an accident or in a jdm or imported vehicle so be aware of that