PDA

View Full Version : LF: Drilling Engineers - Devon Energy

ExtraSlow
09-27-2011, 05:22 PM
Looking for a few Drilling Engineers. Currently on our careers page: Devon Energy Career Centre (http://www.devonenergy.com/Careers/job_opportunities/Pages/job_opportunities.aspx) we have postings for a new grad and a senior position.
It's my understanding that there are more than two open positions, and I think we'd be open to a variety of backgrounds.

Anyone out there currently working in drilling and looking for a change?

Devon has won that "best places to work" award a bunch of times. Linky (http://tinyurl.com/6esnvr6)
Pay and benefits are very competitive.

Anyone interested in learning more should PM me. I'd be happy to discuss this over a coffee, and if you're a good candidate, I'll make sure the hiring manager has your resume on his desk and knows your name.

lasimmon
09-27-2011, 05:30 PM
PM'd

urbannomad
09-28-2011, 11:13 AM
Devon is a great company!
Too bad i'm a bcomm...i wish i had done a double degree

austic
09-28-2011, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by urbannomad
I work for Devon with a Bcomm so we do hire Bcomm's mostly accounting and finance. And I would have to agree that it is a good company to work for.

CompletelyNumb
09-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by urbannomad

I wish I had pursued my degree instead of going straight to the field :dunno:

ExtraSlow
09-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Wow, strong response from the new grad and no-experience contingent.
I must have had five PM's so far. Keep em coming.

Anyone out there know someone who's already got a little drilling experience? I'd pay a bounty if we hired you or your candidate for the "senior" position.

dirtsniffer
09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
seems like a decent place to ask my off topic question.
I'm going back to do my 4th year in mechanical next year (doing a year internship in mining). would it be beneficial to do a minor in petroleum to break into O&G? or will a degree in mechanical be enough? only experience is in strip mining

colinxx235
09-29-2011, 02:28 PM
^

Do the minor just for the classes Sean... I would choose those courses over most of the ones offered in mechanical. Reservoir/drilling/production seemed like very good courses.

dandia89
09-29-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
^

Do the minor just for the classes Sean... I would choose those courses over most of the ones offered in mechanical. Reservoir/drilling/production seemed like very good courses.
might be doing this too. Currently taking 571 - Unconventional Oil Exploitation and I just wanna learn more about it. There are some interesting courses, but honestly these are probably the most related to the industry (from what I've seen so far)

adamc
09-29-2011, 04:45 PM
ExtraSlow did you come up through the field?

Are you a drilling engineer or ops manager? Feel free to PM me your answer, I might need to buy you a coffee and pick your brain sometime in the next few weeks. (Not directly related to this particular job posting).

bspot
09-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Someone's trying to get themselves $3000 ;)

ExtraSlow
09-29-2011, 07:58 PM
I want the recruitment incentive, yeah, but I also really need a couple co-workers to give me some help.
That means I'm not planning on referring anyone who doesn't appear to be a good fit, regardless of the $3000.

adamc, I did not come up through the field, although some days, I feel that might be a disadvantage.

PM's incoming to several people.

ExtraSlow
09-29-2011, 08:42 PM
All PM's replied.

93accord
09-30-2011, 03:05 PM
PM'd.

IncredibleToad
10-03-2011, 07:05 PM
PM'd

IncredibleToad
10-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Sorry reposted, firefox is acting up.

ExtraSlow
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
several PM's waiting for a reply will have to wait until later this week or the weekend. Anyone who doesn't feel like waiting can go ahead and apply through the website anytime they feel like it.

Couple answers to common questions.
- These positions require an engineering degree OR experience. Experience in related parts of the industry counts, sometimes.

- I don't know the salary, that's something that could be discussed in an interview or once an offer is extended. It's competitive.

- I don't know how long the field rotation would last (new grad position). That would be something that depends on how fast you learn, your preferences, and the business needs at that time. You could discuss that in an interview too.

- I am NOT the hiring manager.

Also, due to the strong response for the new grad position, please note that several other operators are hiring similar positions. Don't pin your hopes on one place.

Have a great week.

ExtraSlow
02-27-2012, 07:14 AM
Update. I have used up any "insider" influence I have for the junior position. I am happy to answer any questions, however, if the positions are posted again, please just send your resume through the website.

IF you have more than three years drilling engineering experience with an operator (NOT A SERVICE COMPANY) please PM me and we can discuss.

NOTE: please check the website for updated postings, I will not be positing updates here.

ExtraSlow
06-13-2013, 04:15 PM
Retro Bump!

There is a new posting for a senior drilling engineer up on our website this week. As before, this means someone with experience at an operator in Canada. If you have never worked for an operator, or only worked overseas, this may not be a good fit. Keep an eye out, because we may have posting for Intermediate and Junior positions in the comming months.

Check the careers section of the website, or PM with questions. I'll do what I can to answer.