PDA

View Full Version : Does the battery of Hybrid/Electirc car is a matter in Calgary

Tonny
09-27-2011, 11:16 PM
As Calgarian, we all know what's cold weather means.
Before buying a Hybrid car, like Prius, or Nissan LEAF, the battery lifetime is a must-have consideration factor. How long does it last in real world? How much to get replaced? Does it worth? Comparing Prius/Insight with Focus/Fusion, or Jetta/Golf, and even with Diesel cars.

I saw one time on Kijiji that quite a few Lexus RX400H on list, which are 3 to 4 years old. I don't know why, just curious.

For now, I'm not considering LEAF, based on its 160KM/charge, installing a special charger at home not anywhere else, it maybe a good choice for warmer area, but seems not for Calgary or even Canada.

J.D.
09-27-2011, 11:31 PM
Id suggest going with the toyotas they retain their value the best and have been out the longest.

known quite a few people with them and always started up as long as they didnt do the plugging in every day only once it hits like -20 or lower

AE92_TreunoSC
09-28-2011, 12:03 AM
Believe it or not, hot weather is harder on a battery. Cold weather exposes the battery's weakness but the hot weather deteriorates the battery faster.

There's no reason to be afraid to buy the Toyota based Hybrids, as long as they have service records they will last as the manual implies. The toyota system is so well established other companies buy their technology.

94boosted
09-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Firstly :english:

I say Chevy Volt, just to be different.

CapnCrunch
09-28-2011, 11:09 AM
That was hard to read. :rofl:

schocker
09-28-2011, 11:53 AM
While I would buy a hybrid, I dont think electric cars are very good to own in a city such of this with everything spaced out so far, and with full electric vehicles running out of juice after a fraction of their range when it is very cold out.

Xtrema
09-28-2011, 12:23 PM
Hybrid is an eco statement. It's not practical unless you drive for a living.

You want to save $, buy a compact or subcompact.

You want to save the environment, take the bus.

Sugarphreak
09-28-2011, 01:03 PM

AndyL
09-28-2011, 01:59 PM
Wait till this winter :) You're going to see a LOT of unhappy leaf/volt owners...

And it's not the high voltage battery that's going to be the problem on cold days - it'll be that little 12v motorcycle battery they use to power the electronics that control the high voltage side...

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
I remember writing a paper on this in University.

Hybrids are strictly for people who want to feel like they are helping the environment, because they can afford to.

The price difference between a hybrid and the 4cyl counterpart (where available), would take more than 10 years to pay off with the savings between the two on gas alone. You're usually farther ahead with a 4cyl or diesel.

And when you charge that battery on a Leaf in Alberta, where do you think that power comes from? Coal burning, lol.

Sugarphreak
09-28-2011, 08:37 PM

AndyL
09-28-2011, 08:52 PM
I've already boosted a few... Tow of the week will start falling away in a couple weeks...

GT4rally
09-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Buy a diesel Golf or Jetta!

Diesel VWs achieve almost as good mileage numbers as hybrids, are less expensive to purchase, have much less expensive maintenance, and have better resale value.

It's too bad VW Canada doesn't import the VW Polo, since it gets BETTER mileage than most hybrids!

...and don't even think about a Leaf or a Volt! Good idea, but still very far from being practical.

J.D.
09-29-2011, 12:52 AM
You can make a hybrid worth it a) if you drive lots or b) if you buy it used a lot of people are afraid to buy them used and have to replace the battery packs also lots of people dont realize how sound the mechanics are so they stay away some older prius s for like 4 and up with 100k

DeeK
09-29-2011, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch
That was hard to read. :rofl:

I don't know what he said.

:english:

Currently most people think, hybrid/electric is good for the environment. While short term it is, what happens when they are ready for the landfill? I read an article a few years back that 1 hybrid/electric car in a landfill does the same damage to the environment that 30-50 regular cars do.

Anyways, I'm pulling this off the top of my head from memory. Don't quote me.

Unknown303
09-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I remember writing a paper on this in University.

Hybrids are strictly for people who want to feel like they are helping the environment, because they can afford to.

The price difference between a hybrid and the 4cyl counterpart (where available), would take more than 10 years to pay off with the savings between the two on gas alone. You're usually farther ahead with a 4cyl or diesel.

And when you charge that battery on a Leaf in Alberta, where do you think that power comes from? Coal burning, lol.

If they charge them at night it could be a good mix of Hydro and Coal power.

94boosted
09-29-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by DeeK

I don't know what he said.

:english:

Currently most people think, hybrid/electric is good for the environment. While short term it is, what happens when they are ready for the landfill? I read an article a few years back that 1 hybrid/electric car in a landfill does the same damage to the environment that 30-50 regular cars do.

Anyways, I'm pulling this off the top of my head from memory. Don't quote me.

It's not just the disposing of the old car that is potentially bad for the environment. Putting the car together in the first place isn't too great either you have to mine the nickel for the nickel-hydride batteries and mine the copper for all the electric drive motors and wiring. Not to mention the fact that our electricity sure as shit isn't coming from a 100% environmentally friendly source.

Masked Bandit
09-29-2011, 01:01 PM
Has anyone ever read any sort of study on the whole electric versus gas thing? In particular I would like to see the difference in emisisons after say 100,000 km driven showing the gas consumed / burned versus the emissions from producing enough electricity to power an electric car for the same 100,000 km.

I guess it would depend on which province you had the car. I think most power here in AB is by way of burning coal? Manitoba on the other hand is mostly hydro (water).

dirtsniffer
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
should also take into account fuel used to mine the raw minerals to produce batteries, the ammount fuel used to transport minerals to battery manufacturer and the fuel used to transport batteries to car manufactuer

Sugarphreak
09-29-2011, 01:11 PM

RZRSHARP_SVX
09-29-2011, 01:34 PM
the actual hybrid battery should last the entire life of the vehichle with toyota/lexus. Its verry rare for the hybrid battries to fail

Xtrema
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by RZRSHARP_SVX
the actual hybrid battery should last the entire life of the vehichle with toyota/lexus. Its verry rare for the hybrid battries to fail

Why don't you talk to 1st gen Prius/Insight owners?

Originally posted by Masked Bandit
I guess it would depend on which province you had the car. I think most power here in AB is by way of burning coal? Manitoba on the other hand is mostly hydro (water).

The end game would be electricity coming from wind/sun/water charging an electric car like a Leaf that has 400-500km range per charge in 5mins or less and weight less than 3000lbs and do 0-60 in 7s or less.

Until that happens, you won't catch me in any sort of hybrid or electric car and continues to burn dead dinosaurs.

BTW, the higher charging current is, the shorter the life of the battery will be. There is a reason why gas engine took over battery cars 100 years ago.

While on the topic of Leaf, read something today that mention real life range of Leaf is around 145km. In winter, since it tries to keep you warm, the range is down to low 80s. The price of 1 Leaf can buy me a Versa AND cover the cost of operating it for 7-8 years.

supe
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Are you sure you guys answered the question?

Does the battery of Hybrid/Electirc car is a matter in Calgary

:facepalm:

CMW403
09-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Yes, the battery does of hybrid/electirc car Calgary in matter.

You think should of buying diesel instead hybrid of.

bspot
09-29-2011, 04:43 PM
Wikipedia:

"An EV recharged from the existing US grid electricity emits about 115 grams of CO2 per kilometer driven (6.5 oz(CO2)/mi), whereas a conventional US-market gasoline powered car emits 250 g(CO2)/km (14 oz(CO2)/mi) (most from its tailpipe, some from the production and distribution of gasoline)"