PDA

View Full Version : Custom Fibreglass Shower Base?

CapnCrunch
09-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Has anyone had a custom shower base done for them? I have an irregular shaped shower I need to replace and I can't find anything pre-made that will fit it.

I want to do the shower myself, and I really don't want to build my own base as I'll probably screw it up and turn my basement into a pool.

ExtraSlow
09-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Tile?

R-Audi
09-28-2011, 12:53 PM
Why not tile?

C_Dave45
09-28-2011, 01:09 PM
Take a look at the Schluter shower kits. They come in pre-determined sizes...but you can easily cut and re-shape the styrofoam to fit irregular shower base sizes. Then apply the fabric and you'll be good to go. To get a custom made fiberglass base made would cost a fortune. The Schluter kits are $569 at home depot but I can get you a he'll of a deal off that.

http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

CapnCrunch
09-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by R-Audi
Why not tile?

The walls will be tile. The old base leaks + I don't know how to do a leak proof tile base + I don't have time to learn how to build a leak proof base lol.

I'm cool with those pre-made bases you just tile over though.

CapnCrunch
09-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Take a look at the Schluter shower kits. They come in pre-determined sizes...but you can easily cut and re-shape the styrofoam to fit irregular shower base sizes. Then apply the fabric and you'll be good to go. To get a custom made fiberglass base made would cost a fortune. The Schluter kits are $569 at home depot but I can get you a he'll of a deal off that.

http://www.schluter.com/8_4_kerdi_shower_kit.aspx

Do you tile over the fabric? I can't see the videos at work.

C_Dave45
09-28-2011, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by CapnCrunch

Do you tile over the fabric? I can't see the videos at work.

Yes. You roughly piece all the styrofoam together...thinset on that. Then apply the fabric (kerdi) then more thinset, then your tile. The kit comes with everything you need. Drain, sloped floor, curb, and all your fabric including corner pieces and cutouts for tap assembly and shower head. Just need to buy tile and thinset.

CapnCrunch
09-29-2011, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Yes. You roughly piece all the styrofoam together...thinset on that. Then apply the fabric (kerdi) then more thinset, then your tile. The kit comes with everything you need. Drain, sloped floor, curb, and all your fabric including corner pieces and cutouts for tap assembly and shower head. Just need to buy tile and thinset.

Awesome. I actually may have found a shower at Rona that might work, but I'll definitely look into it, if the Rona showers measurements don't work out.