PDA

View Full Version : Switching to Go Karts??

projekz
09-28-2011, 03:30 PM
Now that Race City is going under, I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking about getting into Go Karting as a replacement since the Go Kart track will be open for a few more years.

I've been seriously contemplating it since it would be fun and a good time to start my son in motorsports.

Thought?

bighead2267
09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
me too as i would assume cost is less?

roll_over
09-28-2011, 03:38 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me alot cheaper

projekz
09-28-2011, 03:42 PM
There's a few karts for sale in town for the $1200 to $2500 range. It'd be a fun weekend thing and some of these karts are pulling some pretty serious G's in the corners:eek:

Sugarphreak
09-28-2011, 08:24 PM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
09-28-2011, 08:40 PM
Its so much fun.

projekz
09-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Maybe we could run our own Beyond Challenge Karting series :burnout:

cet
09-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Does anyone know if there are plans to open a new kart track when this one closes?

94boosted
09-29-2011, 09:31 AM
Wouldn't you need a truck/trailer to get the thing to/from the track? Or can you store it at the track somewhere?

bighead2267
09-29-2011, 09:52 AM
i think the current track offer storage??

zipdoa
09-29-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Wouldn't you need a truck/trailer to get the thing to/from the track? Or can you store it at the track somewhere?

I seriously looked into this last year.

Kart's are small enough that they'll fit in a wagon. Otherwise, You'll have to get a cheap trailer or borrow a truck if you want to move them.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
The nice thing about transporting karts is that you can do it with a small, cheap trailer, small enough to be towed by any old car.

Vdubbin
09-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I'm currently in the middle of looking into this.

The Calgary Kat club has 2 more years on the current location and is planning on building a new track here in Calgary after that.

I've been down for there "try a kart" days and it's an absolute blast and they are incredibly fast for their size. There are also a number of different types so if you wanted to start a little slower you can start off in the 4 stroke karts. The 2 stroke rotax engines are faster and what is most popular ATM. If they aren't fast enough or you really have money burn and want a lot of maintenance you can go to a shifter kart. Think of it as putting a motorcycle engine and tranny on a kart frame and flying around the track. It's a little more involved then that but it's what most of the high end racers use in the states but it's expensive. The rotax is easy to maintain and that's why it's popular.

There's an 3 hour endurance races with a bunch of teams this Sunday if you want to come down and check it as admission is free and everyone that I've meet down there is super friendly. That's not to say that there's some super competitive people that race down there but they are in the minority.

As for Storage the Club is looking to get more storage down at the track itself for people who don't want too or can't take their karts home and from what I've heard about the new location the plan is to have a lot of storage and space down there as well.

Check out their website www.ckrc.com if you want spefici info as they have a good section on getting started.

projekz
09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
Thanks for the info. Rotax is what I'm looking into right now. I'm gonna go to the track on Sunday and check it out for sure.

danno
09-29-2011, 05:23 PM
i drove a rotax kart last year and they are crazy fast, the g's you pull in the turn make your stomach hurt. i think they are 3k for the kart, 500 for a set of tires, i think all in your right around 5k which isn't to bad i guess.

94boosted
09-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Cool that's good info. Might have to look into it next year.