PDA

View Full Version : Beginner ice skating advice

Pages : [1] 2

max_boost
09-29-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm starting ice skating lessons at COP next week. This will be my first time on skates. I'm not exactly sure what to expect. I asked the girl on the phone what I need to bring, other than showing up early and putting on skates. She just said, bring whatever makes you feel comfortable. Well then that doesn't really answer my question.

OK this is what I think I need, chime in.

A tailbone guard of some sort since I'll be falling backwards. Where do I buy this? I check the Sport Chek website and it's not on there.

Gloves with wrist guards for when I fall forward.

Do I go all out? knee pads, elbow pads, helmet lol

Who knows how long it'll take me to pick this up. I'm a slow learner.

TIA.

My_name_is_Rob
09-29-2011, 12:41 PM
I would definatly get elbow pads and knee pads, and likely a helmet too. Hockey pants would probably work just as well for a tail bone guard. Have you ever roller bladed before?

D'z Nutz
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
Damn MB! First swimming and now skating? You're getting all kinds of shit done!

Haha honestly I wouldn't really worry too much about ass pads or anything. Once you get balance figured out, you'll be doing triple axles in no time. Just keep your centre of balance low. Or do what the kids are doing and bring a chair onto the ice haha

Or, IMO, go rollerblading. It's a bit easier to learn that way.

Boat
09-29-2011, 12:46 PM
You could get wrist guards too , although I'm told they increase the chance of collarbone injuries. Sport check had some butt protector.... hold that.. impact shorts:

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4291778&cp=3733354.10968095.3767838.3758851

Moonracer
09-29-2011, 12:49 PM
ya elbow and knee pads would be good but instead of wrist guards you could use hockey gloves

max_boost
09-29-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Damn MB! First swimming and now skating? You're getting all kinds of shit done!

Haha honestly I wouldn't really worry too much about ass pads or anything. Once you get balance figured out, you'll be doing triple axles in no time. Just keep your centre of balance low. Or do what the kids are doing and bring a chair onto the ice haha

Or, IMO, go rollerblading. It's a bit easier to learn that way.

Yes. I'm on a roll. The plan calls for snowboarding in Nov and Scuba diving in spring. :rofl:

Nothing can be harder than swimming. That was the greatest fear of my life.

Anyway, yes I roller bladed a little bit back in gr.6 just going around the block a bunch of times. I was quite slow but I got around fine. That was 19 years ago though. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

BOAT: Those impact shorts are $110 man! The Asian in me can't justify that. :nut: I was hoping to find something I can use for skating and then use it for snowboarding later.

colinxx235
09-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Personally I would ditch the elbow/knee pads/wrist guards etc.

Buy a cheap pair of hockey gloves from anywhere.

I'd probably get a helmet (your head hitting the ice is the worst scenario)

and maybe pick up a cheap hockey stick to help with the balance. i'm assuming the ultimate goal is to be able to play hockey?

edit: also make sure you wear track pants when skating. i find when you fall you slide easier + its a little wet. being in jeans/sweats can be VERY uncomfortable at that point.

:burnout:

max_boost
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
Yes the goal is to someday be able to skate around and play some non contact hockey. That would be awesome but for now I just don't want to fall and break my bones. :eek:

Yes. Keep all the comments and your first experiences coming. :thumbsup:

wintonyk
09-29-2011, 01:02 PM
I started skating/playing hockey 6 months ago. The biggest lifesavers for me were elbow pads. When I was younger and did martial arts i always learned to land on your forearms vs wrists.

Maybe pick up some of that stuff on kijiji. I bought all my hockey equipment for maybe 150 bucks. Then have since upgraded a few things.

Boat
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

BOAT: Those impact shorts are $110 man! The Asian in me can't justify that. :nut: I was hoping to find something I can use for skating and then use it for snowboarding later.

I hear you. I was the same way when I saw them. (Didn't end up buying) Technically they are used for snowboarding so you could make the investment. Just wait till you smack your tailbone on the surface COP calls "snow".

mr2mike
09-29-2011, 01:05 PM
IMO rollerblading and skating are two different techniques. You can pick out the people on rollerblades who started ice skating first, a mile away.

Go with just a helmet, hockey gloves and hockey elbow pads.
If your skates are brand new, go somewhere like Tuxedo Sports and tell them you want a slight rocker put on the blades. They'll sharpen them and take some more metal off the toe of the blade. Helps focus your balance forwards.

Then just keep your knees bent and try to fall forward if you're gonna fall.

colinxx235
09-29-2011, 01:09 PM
Yes the goal is to someday be able to skate around and play some non contact hockey. That would be awesome but for now I just don't want to fall and break my bones. :eek:

Yes. Keep all the comments and your first experiences coming. :thumbsup:

I can't recall meeting anyone whos broken a bone learning to skate. I've had some HUGE spills at mckenzie lake before too going full speed.

I highly recommend the hockey gloves because they serve a few purposes. Keep your hands warm. Tons of padding so that when you fall, you can clench your first and no worries. plus afterwards they have a usage for hockey. wrist guards probably not.

I never found that the knees took a beating falling. the eblows maybeee a little, depending how you fall. it's usually the gloves that go down first as you fall.

between that and using the hockey stick to start out and balance would really help you out.

also I believe before you've mentioned you weren't a very big guy, so its not like youre a 6'4 heavy guy falling on the ice right? haha

colinxx235
09-29-2011, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
IMO rollerblading and skating are two different techniques. You can pick out the people on rollerblades who started ice skating first, a mile away.

Only in april/may when they do the first and only two footed hockey stop :( lol

Type_S1
09-29-2011, 01:18 PM
Whoa...picking up even more skills.

Skating is easy man...that why kids learn in when they are young. For protection you won't need anything more then gloves and I'd get a helmet(that doesn't have a cage). If you are really worried you could bring knee pads. I wouldn't recommend buying them though until you actually play hockey. They are meant to protect you from pucks and sticks to the leg, not from falling. A stick would be good for balance though.

You won't be going fast so falling shouldn't hurt that bad when it happens, which it most likely will. Just remember to keep a center of balance legs shoulder width apart and stay in a "sitting" position while you are learning I.E. Bum down, knees bent. Your arms at first will be for balance. I've taught tons of my little cousins to skate and you will catch on fast.

In learn to skate, when I was 5, our genius instructor thought it would be a good idea to let all the little kids play soccer on ice without helmets. Thinking back what a dumb idea to let kids do this, long story short my skate got stuck on the ball, went flying forward and had 8 stitches in my chin :rofl:

reiRei
09-29-2011, 01:21 PM
I've done ice skating, roller blading and I also roller skate (I play roller derby)

I would get a multi-impact helmet if you're planning on doing lessons, a hockey helmet works great! I can't begin to tell you how often that saves my head from when I've been hit very hard.

Knee-pads are always good, when you fall, you tend to take a knee to get back up to keep skating, it's nice to be able to push off on that knee without hurting it. I would suggest hitting up vv boutique for a set. Honestly, I wear my roller derby pads every time I hit the ice.. my knees are important to me, so protecting them is important.

Form is important, bend your knees and just keep skating. I taught myself how to ice skate at 16, you're getting lessons, and it'll be fun. Another big thing is to learn how to fall properly, if you can get the muscle memory to fall right, recovering is just that much faster.

hope this helps!

dirtsniffer
09-29-2011, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by colinxx235
Personally I would ditch the elbow/knee pads/wrist guards etc.
Buy a cheap pair of hockey gloves from anywhere.
and maybe pick up a cheap hockey stick to help with the balance. i'm assuming the ultimate goal is to be able to play hockey?

came in here to say this, hockey gloves will protect your wrists a good deal, and keep other newbs from running over your fingas. and you can lean on the stick to help with you balance and turning

88CRX
09-29-2011, 02:39 PM
If you want to actually learn how to skate then don’t learn with a stick in your hands... and if you’re having instructions I’m sure they won’t let you use a stick anyways.

C_Dave45
09-29-2011, 02:51 PM
All beginners hurt these areas a LOT: tailbone, elbows, wrists and back of head.

Max...forget about shin pads...you will never fall on your knees. Elbow pads and helmet are the most important! Tailbone....mmmmmm, not so much. You might land on your ass, but your cheeks will absorb most of it. Might knock the wind out of you a bit. Hockey gloves> wrist guards. Plus it looks more natural with hockey gloves than wrist guards. ;)

Make sure you have sharp skates. New skates blades haven't even been "hollowed" yet....you can't even stand on the ice. Keep them sharp and do the laces up to the very top eyelet. The more ankle support, the better. If you get used..just make sure they're really "stiff".

If you're using "rentals", they will do...they usually keep them "fairly" sharp.

max_boost
09-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Alright thanks for all advice. I'll head out to Hockey Experts this weekend to buy some gear.

I really wish I did these things when I was much much younger instead of doing it now at age 30 LOL :facepalm: Oh well, now or never. Maybe someday I can join in the Beyond shinny team. :rofl: :eek:

dandia89
09-29-2011, 04:01 PM
definitely good to bring to for dates, especially when you get pro ;)

mr2mike
09-29-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
If you want to actually learn how to skate then don’t learn with a stick in your hands...

+1
It will help you get better than other beginners, quicker. But you'll plateau and use the stick as a crutch too much and never progress to a level you'd be comfortable going out and playing shinny at the outdoor rinks with.

Davetronz
09-29-2011, 04:53 PM
I wonder if Team_Mclaren would be upset if I registered him for this beginner skating course. LOL.

89s1
09-29-2011, 04:57 PM
Skating isn't overly hard to do, but the ice you do it on is. That guy that told you to skip the knee pads is retarded.

When you get knee pads and elbow pads, get hockey ones and then just use them forever when you go play shinny in the future, it's what I did.

I didn't know how to skate when i moved here and my buddy got me to score hockey pads, now i just have them in a bag of hockey gear for when i go skate around and shoot pucks or go play a bit of shinny.

C_Dave45
09-29-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
Skating isn't overly hard to do, but the ice you do it on is. That guy that told you to skip the knee pads is retarded.

When you get knee pads and elbow pads, get hockey ones and then just use them forever when you go play shinny in the future, it's what I did.

I didn't know how to skate when i moved here and my buddy got me to score hockey pads, now i just have them in a bag of hockey gear for when i go skate around and shoot pucks or go play a bit of shinny.

Hey Douchebag...he didnt ask about what to wear when playing shinny. He asked about what to wear when learning how to skate. I've coached hockey for over 20 years. From 4 year olds who can't stand on skates, to Midget AAA and Juniors. I know a little about what I speak.

When a person is learning how to skate, they hardly EVER fall forward onto their knees. If Max wants to dress up in full body armour...go ahead. The less stuff on your body when learning the basics, the better.

So Max...you can take advice from someone who recently learned how to skate, or from a "retard" who's played and coached to a fairly high level for 40 years.

Thanks for your advice 89. :thumbsup:

Type_S1
09-29-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Hey Douchebag...he didnt ask about what to wear when playing shinny. He asked about what to wear when learning how to skate. I've coached hockey for over 20 years. From 4 year olds who can't stand on skates, to Midget AAA and Juniors. I know a little about what I speak.

When a person is learning how to skate, they hardly EVER fall forward onto their knees. If Max wants to dress up in full body armour...go ahead. The less stuff on your body when learning the basics, the better.

So Max...you can take advice from someone who recently learned how to skate, or from a "retard" who's played and coached to a fairly high level for 40 years.

Thanks for your advice 89. :thumbsup:

Hey I'm interested to know where you have coached. I played high tier hockey until I was 17 wondering if we ever ran into eachother. Send me a PM if you don't want to post.

C_Dave45
09-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Started playing in 1969 at UBC. Then in the Fraser Valley in 70's and 80's. Coached in Fraser valley in 80's and 90's and spent some time coaching in Saskatchewan. Doubt we've run into each other.

max_boost
09-30-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks for the tips Dave. Could always rely on an knowledgeable/experienced OG to tell it like it is. :thumbsup:

I'll update you guys on how it goes.

You can expect a lot of these type of threads from me over the next year. I'm trying a lot of different things. haha :werd:

88CRX
09-30-2011, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz
I wonder if Team_Mclaren would be upset if I registered him for this beginner skating course. LOL.

He doesn't need skate lessons.... but he could use a goalie school or two :rofl:

BananaFob
09-30-2011, 08:59 AM

He doesn't need skate lessons.... but he could use a goalie school or two :rofl:

zing!

He plays centre for us now lol.

Moonracer
09-30-2011, 09:25 AM

No he needs to grow up so he covers more than a 1/4 of the net. :D

Type_S1
09-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Started playing in 1969 at UBC. Then in the Fraser Valley in 70's and 80's. Coached in Fraser valley in 80's and 90's and spent some time coaching in Saskatchewan. Doubt we've run into each other.

Yup, way too long ago and far away for me. I was assuming you coached AAA in Alberta or Calgary.

max_boost
09-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Hey guys, I had a forum member send me a link to the NCHL Beginner hockey program.

I love the hours because it starts after 10-11pm. I don't start work till 10:30am on weekdays so perfect. Doesn't affect my schedule.

It's a bit tight to try to get into the Oct 3 season but the winter season starts in the new year.

Thoughts?

http://www.discoverhockey.com/DiscoverHockey/NCHL_Beginner_Hockey_Program.html

88CRX
09-30-2011, 01:15 PM
Hey guys, I had a forum member send me a link to the NCHL Beginner hockey program.

I love the hours because it starts after 10-11pm. I don't start work till 10:30am on weekdays so perfect. Doesn't affect my schedule.

It's a bit tight to try to get into the Oct 3 season but the winter season starts in the new year.

Thoughts?

http://www.discoverhockey.com/DiscoverHockey/NCHL_Beginner_Hockey_Program.html

You should know how to skate before joining that program IMO. Pretty sure they only go over rules, basic drills, etc. Would be a good next step after learning how to skate though!

max_boost
09-30-2011, 01:20 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Although the site did mention if you never been on skates before it's alright. :nut:

But thoughts on the program itself? If yourself or anyone you know has been through it? Is there contact?

Stealth22
09-30-2011, 01:51 PM
From what I'm told, there's a bit of contact as in wrestling for the puck in the corners and such, but there's no checking.

From what I've read (not first hand), the refs are pretty strict, and there's a rule that says if you get, I think its 10 penalties in a game, your team forfeits.

I think there's also a rule about after a certain number of penalties, subsequent penalties result in both a powerplay and a penalty shot for the other team, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

I'm going through the Fall session, so I can let you know how it goes.

88CRX
09-30-2011, 02:00 PM
Yea the NCHL has a bunch of rules like that.... but dont' worry about all that stuff yet.

Once you can skate that NCHL beginner program would be perfect. Then they transition you onto a team if you want.

stevieo
09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Alright thanks for all advice. I'll head out to Hockey Experts this weekend to buy some gear.

I really wish I did these things when I was much much younger instead of doing it now at age 30 LOL :facepalm: Oh well, now or never. Maybe someday I can join in the Beyond shinny team. :rofl: :eek:

hey sam ask team_mclaren to teach you. he taught me a while back. One lesson, one time, he is such a good teacher he went flying into the boards smashed his watch and wrecked his wrist hahaha

max_boost
09-30-2011, 02:35 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys.

Keep us updated Stealth22 :thumbsup:

Fcuk
09-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Oh man how i miss skating.

I remember when i first went in grade7 i was nervous as hell and seeing all these people rip by me intimidated my like crazy. Then I started to fall in love with it even though i was falling and holding sides. Skating became so fun to me I started to go by myself even when I was a noob and this made me much better because I was willing to fail on my own.

I think you should just have fun with it. Be like a playful child whos learning soemthing for the first time cause really you are. If you fall the only way to get better is if you just laugh it off and keep getting up. I noticed that when I was willing to fall I was getting much better. When you hesitate.. it seems you will fall easier. Don't get intimidated of peoples skating abilities because you are probably stronger/smarter in other areas where they are not.

As someone mentioned it is definately a great place to go with a girl because the bond feels so strong while your laughing and feeling so free. Hope you have fun Max, It's cool you are trying it out. I havent been skating in a long time either I am gonna pick a pair up this winter.

:thumbsup:

max_boost
09-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks buddy. The plan is to take some cheap lessons and then hit up the Olympic plaza in winter for free skating. Afterwards, look out NCHL! haha jk

It can't be that hard or at least I hope not. I spent 30 hours in the pool (most of it alone while people doing laps by me) blowing bubbles, bobbing and floating before I finally swam my first 25m. I just hope it doesn't take me 30 hours to balance myself and skate around a circle. :eek:

Davetronz
09-30-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

zing!

He plays centre for us now lol.
He's doing quite good as a skater / center. Even has a few goals under his belt this year. :thumbsup:

Although, the back-up goaltender from his last game totally earned the first star. LOL

89s1
09-30-2011, 07:21 PM
I felt that knee pads were an asset when learning how to skate, you fall a lot learning and even if most of them aren't on to your knees some are.

so you can either wear no padding and hurt your knees occasionally or wear knee pads and never hurt them.

tough call. :rolleyes:

Benny
09-30-2011, 09:22 PM
For sure gloves and a helmet. From personal experience I wish I had knee pads, elbow pads, and some hockey pants too. Of all the falls I took it probably went (most to least): 1. Ass 2. Arms/Hands 3. Knees.

I don't see why people are recommending against wearing as many pads as possible. When I started skating I had NOTHING. No helmet or gloves or anything. I fell and bruised up every single part of my body. Not gonna lie, it fucking hurt and totally discouraged me for a while. When you're all padded up you can just giver and it doesn't suck so much to fall.

But if you're gonna go for as little as possible, make sure you do a helmet and gloves. Gloves are pretty self explanatory. As for a helmet, when you fall backwards you tend to hit ass then head. Hitting your ass on the ice first almost propels your head back into the ice. Shit sucks, wear a helmet.

Bladeh
10-01-2011, 05:35 PM
I took some Adult Skate lessons with the city of Red Deer a couple of years ago, had some Skate Canada coaches in there, what a waste of time! I ended up getting the wife to teach me the basics, probably my own fault because it was for all skating abilities, I just ended up skating on the boards because they had these pros farting around in the middle of the rink doing twill's and shit.

Advice: don't be scared to fall, I ended up getting stiff trying not to fall, once you fall a few times it becomes easier.

colinxx235
10-03-2011, 07:46 AM
I felt that knee pads were an asset when learning how to skate, you fall a lot learning and even if most of them aren't on to your knees some are.

so you can either wear no padding and hurt your knees occasionally or wear knee pads and never hurt them.

tough call. :rolleyes:

LOL, I've been skating for 20 years, yet I'm "retarded" for not suggesting a useless piece of equipment?

Dave has 40 years and would concur.

Maybe you spend so much time off the ice on your knees you just naturally did the same on ice? ;)

:facepalm:

Neil4Speed
10-03-2011, 08:02 AM

I want to learn as well, I say we have a Beyond Learn to Skate meet.

A bit left field for a car forum.

Team_Mclaren
10-03-2011, 09:44 AM
holy haters!

btw sam, like i've said to you on friday, Tucker hockey is better than nchl. stevieo came out pretty good from that program. But it is still better that you can somewhat skate before you attent

Moonracer
10-03-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
holy haters!

btw sam, like i've said to you on friday, Tucker hockey is better than nchl. stevieo came out pretty good from that program. But it is still better that you can somewhat skate before you attent

Agreed! Max once you are done with this take beginner tucker hockey course. You'll have full equipment and can go all out. They teach you to fall and get back up over and over so you'll get good at it.

sexualbanana
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
I did Tucker Hockey a few years back. Good course and the group is all beginner adults so it's not intimidating at all. The funniest moment was the scrimmage on the first day where I outraced a guy to the puck at centre ice, skated in and rang one off the post like I've never done before. People were like 'wtf!?' until they saw me tea-kettle into the corner right after.

The focus is on skating with a little bit of hockey skills mixed in.

If you're concerned about protecting your tailbone and hip, I would get a pair of padded compressions shorts. I have a couple pair that I use when I'm playing basketball and flag football that has helped on a few occasions. They're light enough that, unless your pants are that tight, are unnoticeable. And they'll protect you well enough that the bad stuff won't hurt so much. Though I've ended up with some funny looking bruises from the hexagonal pads.

McDavid is a popular brand, and Nike makes them now too. You can get the McDavid ones at Team Skyline near Chinook Centre. Not sure where you can find the Nike ones in Calgary.

max_boost
10-03-2011, 11:30 AM
^^^

Helmet. Check.
Gloves. Check.
Elbow pads. Check.
Track suit. Check

I'll go look for those compression shorts later today, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. More for peace of mind there is a cushion there for when I fall.

Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I want to learn as well, I say we have a Beyond Learn to Skate meet.

A bit left field for a car forum.

Check out Winsport at COP. Beginners adult lessons, only 8 people per class max and fairly cheap, $49 includes skate rentals and three 1 hour sessions.

89s1
10-03-2011, 04:43 PM

LOL, I've been skating for 20 years, yet I'm "retarded" for not suggesting a useless piece of equipment?

Dave has 40 years and would concur.

Maybe you spend so much time off the ice on your knees you just naturally did the same on ice? ;)

:facepalm:

I may have worded it improperly and you (as well as dave) seem to be pretty butthurt about it so let me correct myself.

The idea to skimp out on a piece of equipment that will prevent injury to an area of our body not worth taking life off of is retarded. Kneepads are cheap enough that I feel they should be integral.

If max_boost doesn't want to cover up body parts of his body when the risk of banging them against hard surfaces exists then that is his prerogative.

Sorry for calling you retarded, let me know if you're still upset about it and we can hug it out. :thumbsup:

colinxx235
10-03-2011, 04:57 PM

I may have worded it improperly and you (as well as dave) seem to be pretty butthurt about it so let me correct myself.

The idea to skimp out on a piece of equipment that will prevent injury to an area of our body not worth taking life off of is retarded. Kneepads are cheap enough that I feel they should be integral.

If max_boost doesn't want to cover up body parts of his body when the risk of banging them against hard surfaces exists then that is his prerogative.

Sorry for calling you retarded, let me know if you're still upset about it and we can hug it out. :thumbsup:

Lol typical deflected response. You have a fraction of the experience and continue to call others *ideas* retarded.

I like many others have taken some veryyyy big spills on ice going full speed. The only thing that has ever been bruised/taken contact was my elbow. Your knees do not take punishment. Unless you like to jump straight up in the air and see if you can bounce off your knees :dunno: ?

Btw, who plays hockey with knee pads?
I sure hope if Sam was buying equipment he would be purchasing shin pads at least.

Did you by chance learn to ride the bike wearing a full body suit so you woudln't get a scratch too?

littledan
10-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Lol typical deflected response. You have a fraction of the experience and continue to call others *ideas* retarded.

I like many others have taken some veryyyy big spills on ice going full speed. The only thing that has ever been bruised/taken contact was my elbow. Your knees do not take punishment. Unless you like to jump straight up in the air and see if you can bounce off your knees :dunno: ?

I sure hope if Sam was buying equipment he would be purchasing shin pads at least.

Did you by chance learn to ride the bike wearing a full body suit so you woudln't get a scratch too?

uhhhh... hockey shin pads cover your knees FYI

89s1
10-03-2011, 06:12 PM

You come off sounding like one of those teenage boys that won't wear a winter jacket to school because he won't look cool in front of his friends. Grow up.

In answer to your question "who plays hockey with knee pads?" My answer is a fairly confident "almost everyone."

Originally posted by littledan

uhhhh... hockey shin pads cover your knees FYI

Yeah, thats what I thought we were talking about this whole time...

colinxx235
10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

You come off sounding like one of those teenage boys that won't wear a winter jacket to school because he won't look cool in front of his friends. Grow up.

In answer to your question "who plays hockey with knee pads?" My answer is a fairly confident "almost everyone."

Yeah, thats what I thought we were talking about this whole time...

edit.
Nvm this argument is retarded. Clearly you are far more experienced and knowledgeable in hockey than the rest of us.

colinxx235
10-04-2011, 07:32 AM

SOAB
10-04-2011, 07:47 AM
lol. anyone wearing hockey shin pads to learn how to skate is the retarded one. gloves and a helmet is all you need. MAYBE elbow pads...

sexualbanana
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
One thing I've learned is that as you get older, shit hurts a lot more. So I say just play it by ear. Wear the knee pads for the first time, then decide whether you think you'll need them. Or vice-versa.

At the end of the day, it matters more how you feel.

colinxx235
10-04-2011, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
lol. anyone wearing hockey shin pads to learn how to skate is the retarded one. gloves and a helmet is all you need. MAYBE elbow pads...

Yah well the moron doesn't even know the difference between shin pads and knee pads. :facepalm:

My only hope is that new skaters wouldn't read his and a few others terrible responses and think showing up to the ice in virtually half hockey gear to learn how to skate is smart. :nut:

sh0ko
10-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by SOAB

all depends how u fall.. ive noticed if ur really trying to skate hard and sometimes ur feet get ahead of u u fall back... chances are if ur holding a stick ur not gonna let go in time.. and ur elbows are gonna take the damage.. i learnt this the hardway...

@ the end of the day.. everyone has a different learning curve.. some pick it up faster than others...some pick it up with more "confidence" with the extra protection..and some ppl are a lil more brave.. if hes looking to get into hockey then why not get crap gear for now and learn to go hard and have that confidence knowing if he bails he can get up uninjured and keep going...

most importantly.. if ur having fun... then :whocares:

max_boost
10-04-2011, 11:10 AM
I saw the shin pads and was thinking, that would probably get in the way of my movement. Then the thought also crossed my mind that maybe I should gear up like I'm ready for a hockey game and tumble my way on to the ice haha

It's going to be interesting. First lesson is Thursday afternoon.

How many times you guys think I'm going to fall? I hope not too many :nut:

colinxx235
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
^

I would think shin pads would be annoying. Given that you bought track pants too, it would be hard to put them under, or you would look super goofy with them taped over your pants :rofl: shin pads are much larger than 15 years ago... I miss my old school easton ones :(

I'm curious how they would start you off. I know in the past I've seen ppl start by grabbing a small chair, put your hands onto the back and just work on standing/small strides to get going.

sh0ko
10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
edit.. totally misread that haha

gluck maxboost. ur gonna have a blast

sexualbanana
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Shin pads are too bulky for just skating. Even if you plan on playing hockey down the road, I would stick to knee pads until you get around to buying all your equipment.

max_boost
10-06-2011, 04:39 PM
UPDATE!!!

First session, success!

I walk into the ice rink at COP like a n00b, nervous and confused, and out comes this pretty blonde girl (Rochelle) and she immediately chats me up. "Oh are you here for the skating etc". Super out going, friendly and energetic. I'm thinking, this is going to be awesome haha

Turns out there were only 3 people in the class and two were in the intermediate program and I was the only complete beginner.

I got my skates, laced them up, put on my helmet, gloves, elbow pads and got on the ice with a chair :rofl:. Started out with baby steps, no problem. Taught me how to stand up and balance myself, no problem. Taught me how to fall and get up, no problem. Next thing you know I'm skating around the rink with the chair. She decides I don't need the chair and put some small pylons out and I started skating around it in a "S" shape, no problem again. She commented on how I have good balance and doing extremely well for a beginner, very comforting. Last drill of the day she teaches me how to stop, bring one skate forward slightly and gently pushing your foot to the side and scraping the ice? Well that part I just couldn't figure out. I figured it out at a standstill but in motion I just couldn't do it.

Anyway, all in all, no falls, and I'm shocked I can actually skate! :eek: I didn't even need the gloves or elbow pads.

I have 2 more sessions left with Coach but in the mean time, will probably hit up the Oval for some public skating and practice.

Thanks gang. :clap: :clap: :clap:

SOAB
10-07-2011, 08:26 AM
thats awesome MB!

now can you imagine trying to learn how skate looking like bubble boy? haha!

max_boost
10-07-2011, 10:13 AM
I'll still wear the same gear for practice because I'm sure I will wipe out at some point when I try to go faster or get tangled up trying to stop lol

max_boost
10-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Another question friends.

I rented some skates for yesterday's session and my feet were so sore 30 minutes into it I had to take a 5 minute break.

I'm going to go buy a pair of skates and get use to them, any recommendations? How much should I be looking to spend? Comfort would be important.

Prices range from $100 to $400 on sport chek. :nut: :dunno:

littledan
10-07-2011, 02:34 PM
^^^ most important is to get a skate that fits you properly! whatever you do, don't go to sport check to get fitted. go to a proper hockey skate shop.

here in edmonton, i would trust united cycle or proskate to fit me in skates properly. THere are a lot of considerations. Usually you want to go at least 2 sizes down from your shoe size, but to remove the guesswork, go and get fitted. When you put the skate on and you are sitting down, your toes should brush up against the end of the toe box. that way, when you stand, your toes move back slightly and you will be good to go.

as far as skate recommendations, i use the bauer one95 and i love them. nice deep skate. vapor are a bit shallower in thier fit. reeboks tend to be a bit wider and very deep as well. I was in the reebok 9k a few years back and those were also very good skates. I would try and find an older model of skate on clearance to save some dough. and anything that you can get heat molded will definitely help out in reducing the break in time and sore feet at the beginning.

another note, i dont use the top eyelet on my skate, as i notice that i cannot get proper forward flex and knee bend if i use the top eyelet.

89s1
10-07-2011, 04:11 PM
have you ever downhill skied max?

if so, stopping is almost the same

max_boost
10-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Yes I have downhill skied a couple times but that was when I was 11/12 and let's just say it wasn't a good experience lol I'll probably re visit the skiing thing sometime this year though. I'm fearless now. lol

Anyway, watched a couple videos on YouTube so will give those a shot on the weekend.

A buddy recommended these skates.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11611559&cp=3733354.3767757.3942124.3748081

Bauer X3.0

They are $200 and pretty much the max I want to spend.

88CRX
10-07-2011, 04:42 PM
Just go try a couple different skates on... some are wider than others so if you go somewhere competent they'll fit you properly.

No reason to drop more than $200 on skates.

dj_honda
10-07-2011, 04:55 PM
when you get new skates, you are going to have the same problem with your feet hurting until they are broken in....which could be a while. if you are committed to skating though, its a worthwhile investment.

i would also suggest getting super thin socks to wear in the skates.....that helped my feet not get as sore.

max_boost
10-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Any recommendations on places to get fitted properly?

Tuxedo Source for Sports?

stevieo
10-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
holy haters!

Originally posted by Moonracer

Agreed! Max once you are done with this take beginner tucker hockey course. You'll have full equipment and can go all out. They teach you to fall and get back up over and over so you'll get good at it.

Hey sam, I would recommend Tucker's too. He's a good teacher, he even tried out for team canada when he was 36 years old I think, he can skate really well. I took the advice from moonracer and signed up for Tucker's when I first started out skating about 2 years ago.
good luck! but by the sounds of it you have it going down pretty well right now.

colinxx235
10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Any recommendations on places to get fitted properly?

Tuxedo Source for Sports?

Tuxedo is probably THE best shop in town for skates, but granted they have a lot of the higher end stuff. Especially Graf skates (probably my favorite brand)

Either way your best bet is to try on a few skates, walk around. see what has the best fit, good ankle support and try to find your price point.

I'm a wee bit behind as I haven't bought new skates in a while, but I know I went thru a few pairs of skates that did the "oven boot fit" method. Sport check heats them up and you slide your foot in, instantly molds to your ankle/shape. Absolutely amazing.

B20EF
10-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Source for sports on Macleod Trail is great as well. Same shop as Tuxedo source for sports. I bought mine at Hockey Life in cross iron which was ok because I knew what i wanted but the salesman didnt know a thing. I'm almost positive he had never been on skates before.
Try not doing up your skates so tight to help with feet cramps. Just like a running shoe, if it is too tight it will be uncomfortable. And just like DJ_Honda said thinnies are a must.

max_boost
10-09-2011, 06:07 PM
http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=11611559&cp=3733354.3767757.3942124.3748081

So I picked up the Bauer X3.0 skates. I tried on the size 6 and my toe was jammed right up against the front and it was quite uncomfortable. The 6.5 had a little bit of room at the top but overall it was very comfortable. I totally forgot about the heating thing.

These skates are night and day compared to those cheap ones I rented for the first lesson. Alright, time to hit the Oval tomorrow for some practice.

TYMSMNY
10-09-2011, 10:48 PM

So I picked up the Bauer X3.0 skates. I tried on the size 6 and my toe was jammed right up against the front and it was quite uncomfortable. The 6.5 had a little bit of room at the top but overall it was very comfortable. I totally forgot about the heating thing.

These skates are night and day compared to those cheap ones I rented for the first lesson. Alright, time to hit the Oval tomorrow for some practice.

After reading your thread, i went and picked up some skates as well at Sport Chek. Bauer Vapor x30 for 169.99, sale price. :D

let me know if you need a skating buddy lol... i need as much ice time as possible.

TE4MFaint
10-09-2011, 11:51 PM
All we need to do now is throw a stick in your hands and throw you in some mens league hockey ;)

max_boost
10-10-2011, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

After reading your thread, i went and picked up some skates as well at Sport Chek. Bauer Vapor x30 for 169.99, sale price. :D

let me know if you need a skating buddy lol... i need as much ice time as possible. How the heck did you get that pricing?! :eek: They are regular $280!

My X3.0 are regular $200 and I paid $180 with a 10% scratch card today. lol

BTW, I did have a few other members message me about the skating, surprisingly this thread was enough to motivate them to give it a shot. :D

In time I will be streaking down the right wing and powering a shot by the net minder, top shelf. haha jk:rofl:

D'z Nutz
10-10-2011, 08:02 AM
UPDATE!!!

First session, success!

Congrats MB! Looking back, sure seems like you were over thinking it before, huh? ;)

We should do a Beyond meet on the ice sometime (all skill levels welcomed). It's been a couple years since I've done any skating. Plus I could use some tips on stopping and skating backwards.

colinxx235
10-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Yah where did you find those skates for $170??

I could really replace my old Vapor 7's... lol

Although I need the sale to be on for another week at least, my ankle is so fucked up and swollen I wouldn't be able to get a skate on :(

TYMSMNY
10-10-2011, 11:09 AM
How the heck did you get that pricing?! :eek: They are regular $280!

My X3.0 are regular $200 and I paid $180 with a 10% scratch card today. lol

BTW, I did have a few other members message me about the skating, surprisingly this thread was enough to motivate them to give it a shot. :D

In time I will be streaking down the right wing and powering a shot by the net minder, top shelf. haha jk:rofl:

They were on sale about a little over a week ago... i actually missed it but then got the manager to override it at sport chek westbrook location (so dead in there they'll do anything lol)

Plus I signed up for the a-list deal and got another 10% off of my total purchase (bought other gear).

shoe size -1.5 was a good fit.

Skating time!

max_boost
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Has anyone skated at the Oval between 8:30pm-10:00pm slots on week nights?

Just curious how busy it is?

I went on the weekend during the afternoon and it was quite busy. The ice had a lot of small ruts? so it wasn't very smooth. Not to mention the 5 year old in the Flames jersey just blowing by me haha

mr2mike
10-12-2011, 04:10 PM
On and off I've skated there. I stay away on weekends, too many kids and beginners on group dates using lack of balance as an excuse to hold a girl's hand.

Weeknights are much better.

Ruts could be from speed skaters, depends what they looked like.

TYMSMNY
10-13-2011, 12:10 AM
Has anyone skated at the Oval between 8:30pm-10:00pm slots on week nights?

Just curious how busy it is?

I went on the weekend during the afternoon and it was quite busy. The ice had a lot of small ruts? so it wasn't very smooth. Not to mention the 5 year old in the Flames jersey just blowing by me haha

not very busy at all. Weekends (Sundays) is when they do most of their floods... Monday's should be smooth as a....

r3ccOs
10-13-2011, 10:32 PM
I like to go for my practice skate with my gf over @ Jimmie Condon Arena

though I've become quite proficcient, the nice thing about this place is, it is a figure skating arena open from 6:30 to 10:00 PM on sat night... is quite slow, and has mirrors to help work with technique...

I like using it to work on my laterial skating and transitions

max_boost
11-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Hey just wants to hear your thoughts on what level my skating should be at before I sign up for Tuckers or NCHL beginners to learn to play hockey?

Right now I've been taking lessons twice a week at COP and it's going pretty good.

My stopping is OK. On a stand still I can scrape the ice good but in motion isn't the best. They keep telling me it's just a matter of time before I nail it lol I can backwards snowplow, forward and backward bubbles, c-cuts and link them, lift one foot off the ice and glide for a second, jump over a line and just started on learning the cross overs. So I'm not that n00b or maybe I am haha I think if I had full gear I would totally book it faster but since I'm not geared up, I'm hesitant.

Thursday class is good, got a couple younger guys teaching it who played hockey growing up so definitely good advice.

mr2mike
11-28-2011, 01:46 PM
Also check out HNA Calgary.
http://www.hna.com/leagues/custom_page.cfm?leagueID=5757&clientID=2296&pageID=570

Some info on a hockey school and the beginner league.

Moonracer
11-28-2011, 02:17 PM
Hey just wants to hear your thoughts on what level my skating should be at before I sign up for Tuckers or NCHL beginners to learn to play hockey?

Right now I've been taking lessons twice a week at COP and it's going pretty good.

My stopping is OK. On a stand still I can scrape the ice good but in motion isn't the best. They keep telling me it's just a matter of time before I nail it lol I can backwards snowplow, forward and backward bubbles, c-cuts and link them, lift one foot off the ice and glide for a second, jump over a line and just started on learning the cross overs. So I'm not that n00b or maybe I am haha I think if I had full gear I would totally book it faster but since I'm not geared up, I'm hesitant.

Thursday class is good, got a couple younger guys teaching it who played hockey growing up so definitely good advice.

Sounds like you should be good to go anytime now. :)

GREENBOY
11-28-2011, 03:22 PM

You're ready! I could barely stop the day I started NCHL. Been playing hockey for 3 years now. Once you get your pads on and a stick in front of you your confidence (and balance) on the ice will grow fast. You just need to sign up for one of those things and jump in.

ffmf
11-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey max_boost:

Which beginner league are you leaning towards? I'm in the same boat as you and just trying to decide on which program to take.

For myself, I think it's between Tucker Hockey and MIC Hockey.

Tucker Hockey looks like it has pretty good reviews and instructors.

MIC Hockey seems pretty good and is $140 less for the same number of lessons.

Arena locations are a wash for me.

Don't really like the locations and ice times for HNA/NCHL.

If anyone else has an opinion on any of the hockey programs please post your thoughts. Thanks.

max_boost
11-28-2011, 04:51 PM
I'm leaning towards NCHL because the time is 10:15pm which is PERFECT for me. I don't work the corporate 8-4/9-5 gig so I don't mind late ice time.

Also because NCHL seems to have all info listed on their site? I'm confused with the Tucker website and never heard of HNA until today.

I still plan to go to my 2x/week ice skating lessons at COP, my instructors all grew up playing hockey and one of them refs in the NCHL so I can get even more practice on drills.

max_boost
11-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Alright, I just took the plunge with NCHL, signed up and paid. :eek:

I hope I get #22, RW! :drama: :werd:

Moonracer
11-29-2011, 10:09 AM
:clap: When do you start?

max_boost
11-29-2011, 10:15 AM
Starts in Jan! :eek:

Haha I have to admit I'm excited like a little kid on X-mas day. :clap:

88CRX
11-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Nice work :thumbsup:

Moonracer
11-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Starts in Jan! :eek:

Haha I have to admit I'm excited like a little kid on X-mas day. :clap:

Awesome, that's a good sign indeed.

Davetronz
11-29-2011, 11:12 PM
Congrats on taking the plunge to play hockey!

Let us know if you have any questions about buying equipment.

If you don't work a regular schedule, hitting the outdoor rinks is an awesome idea during the day when there isn't much traffic on them.

Good luck!