PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to create fulgurite?

Mar
10-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Just follow the weather patterns and set up a bucket with a rod in it? I can't imagine there'd be much activity after October.

schocker
10-03-2011, 02:01 PM
Marth, this is a weird ass thread.
I would imagine a large sandbox with sand of at least 1.5 meters, then place a large metal pole in the middle at least 30 meters tall. Then wait.

CMW403
10-03-2011, 02:10 PM
I had no idea what it was so I googled it, interesting.

I think you're gonna want more like a 25-30ft pole, unless you put the sandbox on top of your house.

Freeskier
10-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Or in a field. And well done on the most random thread title in a while

lint
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
make sure you hold the pole steady

Mar
10-03-2011, 06:34 PM
I have a spot in Okotoks I could do it, just need something mobile I can bring down there when the weather is promising.

Originally posted by lint
make sure you hold the pole steady
:rofl:

DeeK
10-03-2011, 08:07 PM
Fulgurite? Go to the local Gem store and buy some. OR go to the desert and find some. Fulgurite cannot be made by using a lightning rod. The lightning has to strike the sand itself, not a rod into the sand.

Something cooler than fulgurite?
Check out Moldavite.

In the meantime if you want fulgurite, I suggest going here...
http://www.earthgems.ca/

StreetRacerX
10-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Jacked from wiki for those who were curious but too lazy to search.

Fulgurites (from the Latin fulgur meaning thunderbolt) are natural hollow glass tubes formed in quartzose sand, or silica, or soil by lightning strikes.[1] They are formed when lightning with a temperature of at least 1,800 °C (3,270 °F) instantaneously melts silica on a conductive surface and fuses grains together; the fulgurite tube is the cooled product.[2] This process occurs over a period of around one second,[3] and leaves evidence of the lightning path and its dispersion over the surface.[4] Fulgurites can also be produced when a high voltage electrical distribution network breaks and the lines fall onto a conductive surface with sand beneath. They are sometimes referred to as petrified lightning. The glass formed is called lechatelierite which may also be formed by meteorite impact and volcanic explosions. Because it is amorphous, fulgurite is classified as a mineraloid. Fulgurites can have deep penetrations, sometimes occurring as far as 15 metres (49 ft) below the surface that was struck.[5]

The tubes can be up to several centimeters in diameter, and meters long. The longest fulgurite to have been found is a little over 4.9 meters in length, and was found in northern Florida, USA.[3] Their color varies depending on the composition of the sand they formed in, ranging from black or tan to green or a translucent white. The interior is normally very smooth or lined with fine bubbles; the exterior is generally coated with rough sand particles and is porous. They are rootlike in appearance and often show branching or small holes. Fulgurites occasionally form as glazing on solid rocks (sometimes referred to as an exogenic fulgurite).[6]

And a picture of course;
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/Fulgurite1.jpg

kvg
10-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I know a guy that could help you out:D

http://www.freewebs.com/damjan9/rayden.jpg

Rat Fink
10-03-2011, 08:34 PM

kvg
10-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Or use the power of Gray Skull

http://www.hogwild.net/images/Misc/castle-grayskull-he-man.jpg

Shera might have sand in her box:dunno:

89s1
10-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by schocker
Marth

:rofl: :rofl:

The internet has a very long memory.

HiTempguy1
10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

Nothing long about it, it will never go away, in fact, his user title should read "aka Marth". Get to it mods!

roll_over
10-03-2011, 10:15 PM
Could you use a 20 story building as a pole and put the sandbox at the bottom where the building is grounded?

bituerbo
10-03-2011, 10:24 PM
Could you cheat by dumping a pile of sand at the corner of a metal tower or structure, such as microwave/cellular tower or power line?

edit: was beaten do it...

Mar
10-03-2011, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
Fulgurite cannot be made by using a lightning rod. The lightning has to strike the sand itself, not a rod into the sand.
I thought about that, plus I wouldn't be able to use a bucket because the sand wouldn't be grounded. What I'm thinking now is this:

a) Put a bucket on the ground in a large field.
b) Hammer a piece of rebar through the bottom of the bucket into the ground and have it stick out of the ground (and into the bucket) just a few inches.
c) Fill the bucket with sand.
d) Pack the sand tight and put another piece of rebar into the top of the sand leaving the top sticking out 18 inches and the bottom about 6 inches from the other piece of rebar.

When the lightning hits the piece of rebar sticking out the top, it'll arc through the sand to the other piece of rebar which is grounded and cause fulgurite to form in between.

Would this work? :dunno:

codetrap
10-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Damn.. someone's been watching a little too much "SuperNatural"..

http://supernatural.wikia.com/wiki/Fulgurite

DeeK
10-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Or maybe he's into the metaphysical side of gemstones and spirituallity.

In which case:

Metaphysical Properties:
It enhances communication on the physical plane and strengthens the connection with other worlds and beings in those worlds. It can be used to alleviate distractions and to provide for intensified concentration. The tube can also enable one to predict future events and can be used to enhance the abilities of a divining rod for divining.

It can also facilitate clairaudient experiences. It addition, Fulgurite may be used to grid an area to enhance the energy for welcoming extraterrestrials.

Fulgurite can also be used in the treatment of disorders of the ear, nose, throat, intestinal walls, colon, alimentary canal, and esophagus.

I knew it.. he's trying to get abducted.

DeeK
10-04-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Would this work? :dunno:

No. Because fulgurite is formed by the heat on impact, not the electrical charge. It requires a direct lightning strike. Most lightning rods would melt at the temperature required to make fulgurite.

Originally posted by StreetRacerX

They are formed when lightning with a temperature of at least 1,800 °C (3,270 °F) instantaneously melts silica......

schocker
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 89s1

I will never forget. It is similar to the time I had the RIP for supadexta in my signature after he was murdered by that woman from craigslist.

R154
10-04-2011, 09:16 PM
Step 1) Procure a telescope
Step 2) Procure a laser
Step 3) find a large mountain range, with a 1000M^2 sand area beneath it
Step 4) Shine laser on sanded area
Step 5) report back to beyond that you have unequivocally proven that you synthesized fulgurite faster then the speed of light.
Step 6) ???????
Step 7) convince nobody of your scientific or logical reasoning skills, ever?