PDA

View Full Version : New 10th Street NW bike lanes

speedog
10-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Went downtown this afternoon on 10th Street NW from central NW and noticed that there are now dedicated bicycle lanes all the way from 5th Avenue NW to Northmount Drive NW. What makes this more interesting is that there is now only one lane northbound for vehicles from 5th Avenue NW almost all the way to 19th Avenue NW and even after that, 10th Street again reverts to one lane northbound.

And something I haven't seen yet - an advance signal for buses that applies as well to northbound cyclists at 16th Avenue.

Now the plans for some of this work is available on the city's web site at this link (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10-St-key-plan-and-sections.pdf), but I can't d=find any mention of the changes that have happened for 10th Street NW south of 21st Avenue NW..

Never the less, one would be best advised to pay attention while traveling on 10th Street NW for the next little bit - drivers are going to have to retrain themselves for this stretch of remade road.

speedog
10-03-2011, 03:14 PM
It would appear that the "future" bike route listed on this city of Calgary document (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/PublishingImages/24-Av-21-Av-2011-planned-bike-improvements.pdf) for 10th Street NW south of 20th Avenue NW has become a reality with no open houses or public involvement.

blitz
10-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Horrible setup. Horrible.

blueToy
10-03-2011, 09:32 PM
Surprised by this myself .
I can't imagine how many thousands of cyclists will use this dedicated route this winter if it was as bad as last year . YET , car traffic will now suck , especially in snowy conditions , making MORE pollution because everyone will be idling their cars more .

This bit of handy work has D'oh Farrell written all over it . The same genius who is behind the freedom bridge , and closing down roads to add more bike lanes around Brentwood mall whilst adding a few thousand more people .

Xtrema
10-03-2011, 11:51 PM
I saw the new curb by confederation park and wonder wtf. Then watching the news tonight about new bike lanes. Everyone, even the bikers said the new curb is retarded. And the 3 lanes on 10th? Its REALLY fucking retarded. So they just reduced 3 lane to 2 on rush hour. 10th was that great to start with, now it's really gonna suck.

speedog
10-04-2011, 12:02 AM
One correction to my original post - there's two lanes northbound from 5th Ave and only one lane southbound. Don't know what the morning rush hour is like on this route, but halving the amount of inbound lanes can't be a good thing.

blitz
10-04-2011, 07:25 AM
I take it everyday at 6:30 and there's no problem then. I have a friend who lives on 18th Ave and starts work at 8:30, they said it was backed up past their house yesterday.

Why do this pilot project right before winter hits and most people stop biking?

swak
10-04-2011, 07:57 AM
I commute on 10th daily, even on my bike and I never saw a problem before... But that's beside the point (I too think this whole bike lane setup is fag-balls).
But I was late today because of it (took me 20 mins longer today) so gay. Then on top of that douchebags are driving down the bike lanes, then having to squeeze in traffic later up... Man, gotta find a new route now. Not doing this 10th street shit again, unless they do something with the lights to accomodate the morning rush.

Sugarphreak
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM

Orbie
10-04-2011, 08:42 AM
I'm glad someone started a thread on this, they just seemed to get this up and running over the last weekend as Monday was the first time I saw it. I've taken this route everyday into downtown for the last 5-6 years and I can't believe this was allowed to happen. It's the biggest gong show in the morning. I don't know who the rocket scientist was who thought it would be an awesome idea to reduce 4 lines to 3 on this stretch and then make 2 of the lines dedicated northbound lanes. It's like they didn't even do a traffic survey of this road before just going ahead and deciding on reduced lanes and direction of travel. Otherwise they would have noticed that not only do people go home on this road during evening rush hour, but surprise people also go downtown on this road during morning rush hour!

I do see alot of bikers going down here and to be fair I do see a lot of them almost get nailed on the road by confederation to the school, but I think they could have squeezed a small bike lane in and kept the road 4 lanes. Now all I see is people driving in the bike lanes, not only hitting bikes but other cars too.

Only thing that can probably save it is a lane reversal in the morning on the center lane, kind of like that small stretch in Kensington and on the bridge. It's sad to see all the cars stuck there in the morning in one lane and the 2-3 cars on the northbound side with 2 empty lanes to use. Otherwise definitely gotta find another way to work now as I don't even want to know what winter traffic is going to be like on that road now.

Hopefully someone can find out who was responsible for this plan.

DGill
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Buy a fuckin car and stop backing up traffic more than it already is :banghead:

mr2mike
10-04-2011, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Just in time for winter!

Exactly what I thought when I drove the route on Monday.

Originally posted by Orbie

Hopefully someone can find out who was responsible for this plan.

Don't have to look any further than D'uh Farrell herself. That's her stomping grounds.

Maxt
10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
Is it as retarded as the 11 st se setup? Where if they don't clear all the snow away to make the road lines visible, nobody knows what F is going on?

Tik-Tok
10-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by DGill
Buy a fuckin car and stop backing up traffic more than it already is :banghead:

:rofl:

(that was supposed to be an ironic joke right?)

speedog
10-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Here you are - the documents on the city's web site for the part south of 21st Avenue NW..

Don't believe these were publicly available until the news story broke this weekend and even the news announcer I watched one evening made note of the fact that the city was trying to get their web site updated accordingly....

PDF plan (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10st-cycle-improvements.pdf)

10th Street NW Bike Lane Pilot Project (http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Pages/Cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10-Street-N.W.-Bike-Lane-Pilot-Project.aspx)

Doesn't look like reversible lanes are planned even though they'd be a good idea for the mess that is there now between 16th Ave and 5th Ave.

frizzlefry
10-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Cannot remember where I saw this but in Vancouver they did a study and found that bike lanes make pollution worse because of all the cars that have to idle due to increased jams. Vancouver just put the bike lane project on pause to review it, I guess its pretty bad there.

Dren
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
i use this route every morning by car, and i found that many people are driving on the bike lanes

Xtrema
10-04-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Dren
i use this route every morning by car, and i found that many people are driving on the bike lanes

you know what this means, there is going to be a big increase of CPS revenue soon.

Moonracer
10-04-2011, 10:51 AM
What they need to do is make the road a little wider to accommodate a bike lane without taking out a driving lane.

They did this some time ago on 11st downtown. There were two driving lanes going north from 12 ave. but they took one away and made a bike lane which is great to have a bike lane but now traffic is more congested because there is only one lane and when someone is waiting to turn left on 11 ave. you have to wait for them to turn before anyone can get by. STUPID! And I ride that street regularly but when I have to drive and go down there when it's busyish I just have to shake my head and ask why.....
What they should do is just make it a shared lane with signage to let people know it's a route with bike traffic and to be cautious. That way when there isn't much for bike traffic cars can use it freely which would be most of the time and clearly in the winter when there are only a few hardcore cyclists out there riding to work.

bignerd
10-04-2011, 03:01 PM
Traffic was backed up from 16th ave to almost 21 ave this morning because of the new bike lanes and the reduction in driving lanes. Every one was sitting through multiple lights or cutting through the adjacent neighborhoods trying to find a better way to get to 16th. Was crazy.

2007RS4
10-04-2011, 03:24 PM
Thank your idiot Alder(wo)man.

swak
10-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Druh is the worst thing that has happened to this city, and she gets voted in twice (or is this her third time in seat)

kenny
10-04-2011, 03:57 PM
Did anyone see this PDF on the city website? on how to navigate from 10th street onto 4th Ave on the new bike lanes?

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10st-cycle-improvements.pdf#page=3

The City should pay me for my consulting work, because I did a study of the intersection in question and have come up with a revised document.

http://virgeweb.com/new-bikelanes.jpg

max_boost
10-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

you know what this means, there is going to be a big increase of CPS revenue soon.

What else is new? Everything leads to a fine! :facepalm: :rofl:

schocker
10-04-2011, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by kenny
[B]The City should pay me for my consulting work, because I did a study of the intersection in question and have come up with a revised document.

Lol, looks good kenny.
I had to look at the original pdf to see that the blue line was not a joke though

finboy
10-05-2011, 05:01 AM
just saw this, as a resident of the area i can't explain how terrible of an idea this is, it basically blocks one of the two exits from my neighborhood from being usable. looks like it's all 4th street from this point forward :banghead:

just found this...

The city will assess the project until next spring and determine the success at that time.

http://www.660news.com/news/local/article/284969--new-bike-lane-pilot-project-underway-in-calgary

so they are assessing the project AFTER they install it to decide if they are keeping it?

:banghead:

speedog
10-05-2011, 06:42 AM
What's laughable is that they're going to assess this pilot project based upon it's use from October to march/April - the parts of the year during which these lanes will be utilized the least. This would be akin to assessing the viability of outdoor swimming pools in Calgary based upon their usage from October to May - the period in which they're going to assess the project does not represent a real representation of the problems that might be created nor the usage that might truly be experienced.

Abeo
10-05-2011, 06:44 AM
The city will assess the project until next spring and determine the success at that time.

Wait, so they set up the bike lanes without consultation, and are going to assess their effect over fucking winter :banghead:

Daily, 200 bikes use the road (in the summer), vs 15000 cars, but they hope to increase the amount of bikes through there....do they really expect that the drivers that are inconvenienced will just ride their bikes? How will the fucked up intersection that Kenny brought up handle any serious amount of bikers? I'm all for bikes and getting more people to commute, but this is fucking dumb. Make separate paths that don't wander all over the place, use residential streets that aren't arteries into the core, and keep bicyclist commuters out of downtown traffic.

Canmorite
10-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Did anyone see this PDF on the city website? on how to navigate from 10th street onto 4th Ave on the new bike lanes?

http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation/TP/Documents/cycling/Cycling-Route-Improvements/10st-cycle-improvements.pdf#page=3

The City should pay me for my consulting work, because I did a study of the intersection in question and have come up with a revised document.

http://virgeweb.com/new-bikelanes.jpg

I dig the reality version :rofl: No one is going to use that bike box, gimmie a break hahaha. I'd rather keep up with traffic and go straight through the intersection if I were biking...

speedog
10-05-2011, 07:19 AM
So in the past few years north of downtown, the city has taken away an incoming lane on 10th Street NW, taken away another incoming lane on 4th Street NW through Mount Pleasant and has added no additional capacity on either Centre or 14th Streets NW. Odd thing is that I haven't seen a marked increase in cycle commuters and in fact most cycle commuters I know or see are on 2nd Street NW (where things have definitely been made better for cyclists). Doesn't matter as this is all part of a bigger plan as the city says.

1barA4
10-05-2011, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by swak
Druh is the worst thing that has happened to this city, and she gets voted in twice (or is this her third time in seat)

To be fair, that bitch probably polished a lot of knobs the many years she's been in office. Does anyone remember that op-ed piece that talked about how Druh gets like 80% of the remaining funds that City Hall has (after major infrastructure projects)? Do you know how much time that requires on her knees to get that much of the budget?!

I'd say she earned it.

Plus, the people in that Ward keep voting ol' donutsmile back into office so they are to blame more than "Will suck for cash" Farrell.

finboy
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
The good news is that it is a trial, if you don't like it, raise he'll and make sure they understand that Calgary doesn't want this

Just got off the phone with 311, all complaints are being taken and forwarded to the city planning department, time for a mass beyond.ca troll-fest!

edit: looks like calgary bikers are already throwing heaps of praise to druh :thumbsdow

Submitted by dmodderman on Tue, 2011-10-04 09:10.

These bike lanes will be a significant help for anyone trying to cycle into Kensington/Downtown from anywhere in the north central area.

Even though I live quite far north (north of 64 Ave near Center Street), on the occasion I do ride to the area (at least a half dozen times per year) it has always been a challenge to find a good route. Looking forward to trying it out.

P.S. I sent a message to Druh Farrell in Ward 7 to express the thanks.

http://bikecalgary.org/node/2998

1barA4
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by finboy

edit: looks like calgary bikers are already throwing heaps of praise to druh :thumbsdow

http://bikecalgary.org/node/2998

Hippies flock to Kensington like moths to a flame; Druh gave those patchouli-stink middle-class "rebels" their own personal lane to Hippie Central.

Xtrema
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
So the reason they are doing a trial now because 10st is being ripped up next year. They don't want to repaint the line after new asphalt is in.

I say raise hell and call 311 til the message is heard.

finboy
10-05-2011, 02:08 PM
So the reason they are doing a trial now because 10st is being ripped up next year. They don't want to repaint the line after new asphalt is in.

this

i have it up on facebook too, if the city catches enough heat, they won't keep the roads this way

blitz
10-05-2011, 02:18 PM

Didn't it all get repaved a week or two ago?

finboy
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by blitz

Didn't it all get repaved a week or two ago?

temporary/quick job for winter, they will be throwing down a more permanent setup in spring, and if they don't hear complaints at city hall, expect druh to get permanent bike lanes in place while 15000+ cars are left waiting.

bspot
10-05-2011, 02:34 PM
If they did a bike lane combined with lane reversal this would be no problem.

finboy
10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
if they just converted the east side of 10th street's sidewalk to bikelanes it would also work and you wouldn't need the silly bike box, plus it would more smoothly transition into the bike lanes on 9Ast. :dunno:

cloud7
10-05-2011, 03:07 PM
What's next? converting 1 lane of Centre Street, Edmonton Trail, 14 Street NW into bike lane? I have no problem with bikes, but big problem with the people who though this was a good idea.

mr2mike
10-05-2011, 11:39 PM
14th St is a little more backed up in the morning commute too because of this.

Khyron
10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
Year to date I've biked 3552.12 kms. Amount planned to ride from Nov to March: 0.

That setup looks absolutely retarded. Give me a decent shoulder that's got some degree of protection from cars, but can still be used for a breakdown lane/ems and we're talking. But full time lanes in Calgary make no sense.

J-D
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
The fuck was the person who thought this up smoking? I'm sure reducing it to one lane and slowing down the road is going to encourage people to ride their bikes out when it's -30.

JDMMAN
10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
I highly recommend calling 311 to complain. I've told others to do this as well. This stupidity needs to stop!

blitz
10-06-2011, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
14th St is a little more backed up in the morning commute too because of this.

Morning and afternoon.

Took 14th home the last 2 days at 4:15 ish and it was backed up a lot more than normal .

Sugarphreak
10-06-2011, 08:52 AM

71car2
10-06-2011, 07:47 PM
^ This. Had read the newspaper while eating lunch in a cafe. I've seen an article about the new bike lane yesterday and today read more full story. When I saw what it said where it's set ... on 10th St NW ??

I knew at once this is a bad location as I had lived close there before. Later after work I went up there to do bit of business to take care of. I drove northbound and saw that new bike lanes . One bike lane on each side of this road.

I shake my head and laughed as I drove. The southbound lane is truly the worst set-up when it come to morning traffic all snarled in rage.

Seriously, I think Druh must had her hands in a lot of City Hall asses in to get this "pet project" passed! That reeks of her crazy harebrained project signture... :banghead:

Maxt
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
It just kills me how the city pointy heads talk with such conviction about the idiocy they unleash on the motoring public..They truly believe they are doing righteous things for the public good.. These people obviously live on a different plane of reality than the rest of us... Traffic management yes, social engineering no..

Khyron
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
But yet ask them to twin the rest of the bike paths that feed into downtown, and they won't do it. Ok setting up speed traps on the bike paths tho (cause that makes them money)

I swear to god none of them even own a bike much less can propel their fat asses quicker than I can run.

rage2
10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
I swear to god none of them even own a bike much less can propel their fat asses quicker than I can run.
Agreed. Nobody that rides a bike would design that silly bike box 8 step left turn at FATS.

finboy
10-07-2011, 09:16 AM
i drove by it again today, i just don't understand why they wouldn't turn the wide east sidewalk into a dual purpose walking/bike lane like they have done by confed. it could have a divider curb so bikes and cars wouldn't compete (which will be HELL this winter, that hill is awful with snow/ice), there would still be 4 lanes for traffic, and the bike lane would connect into the bike lane on 9a without a stupid bike box, win win for EVERYONE.

:dunno:

hampstor
10-07-2011, 09:35 AM
I don't even need to look this up to know that this had something to do with Druh Farrell. She does ride a bicycle to work... she's just too good to lock her bike up with everyone else and parks her bike in a parking spot in the parkade.

alien
10-07-2011, 10:19 AM
i'm suprised that druh hasn't piped up yet about this. i'm sure if she could have it her way she'd have taken 2 lanes of 10th. Then twice a year she'd try to block off all of 10th so people can ride and walk on it.

swak
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by alien
i'm suprised that druh hasn't piped up yet about this. i'm sure if she could have it her way she'd have taken 2 lanes of 10th. Then twice a year she'd try to block off all of 10th so people can ride and walk on it.

If Druh was Mayor, cars would be banned 364 days a year.

alien
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by swak

If Druh was Mayor, cars would be banned 364 days a year.

And all the fancy bridges across the river every 50 meters would be glorious.

Sugarphreak
10-07-2011, 12:49 PM

2007RS4
10-07-2011, 12:54 PM
That is Druh for you - makes decisions (peace bridge, bow river flow, bike lane) and is largely silent after the fact.

It is the barristas and "artists" that keep voting her in. :barf:

Maxt
10-07-2011, 03:27 PM
I hope everyone is giving their thumbs down via 311. I read that Bike Calgary or whatever they are called is using social networks to try to swing the feedback to the positive side. Which I really do not understand, if those idiots had any brains, they would be giving this plan the thumbs down to and forcing the City to build a dedicated bicycle path network. It just proves to me these militant types are actually more anti-car than they are actually pro-bike.

I have no problem with people biking, but the bikers have more of an issue with me in my truck. Its fine to build a new transportation system but to destroy another functioning one in the process to make a half assed one makes no sense. Unless the motive is of course just vindictive.
I know people see one person per car in the morning and think well geez those people could be on a bike. Its not like that, lots of those people have trunks full of sales materials, tool, samples , whatever they need for work. But the envirotypes just don't seem to understand that.

bignerd
10-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Why are bikers still using the sidewalk on 10th street? Two days in a row now I have seen people riding on the sidewalk while the bike lane is empty...

Xtrema
10-07-2011, 04:26 PM
Because it's dangerous.

Some bikers will eventually get a bat in the face from a pissed off driver stuck in traffic.

rage2
10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
The Sun had an article today saying that the city is building a bike path 30m from the 10th street path opening in the fall (2012), which makes it redundant? I really hope that's not true haha.

edit: Article - http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/10/06/bike-path-planned-metres-from-controversial-lane-for-cyclists

Thirty metres.

An average person could walk the distance in 23 seconds, a cyclist would cover the space in about five.

A very skinny gap, in other words — but this stretch of real estate might as well be labelled the Grand Canyon of Stupidity.

A mere 100 feet from of the bike lane fiasco causing so much motoring grief along 10 St. N.W., city parks staff are busy at work.

They’re adding the final touches to a separate commuting project.

As road crews paint new lines on 10th, reducing southbound traffic to a single lane to make room for cyclists, workers a few metres away are using shovels and tractors to finish their undertaking.

That project will open this fall, a stone’s throw away from the traffic chaos on 10th.

There, traffic jams have followed the unexpected appearance of bike lanes, added so roughly 600 cycles a day can share a major rush-hour artery used by 15,000 cars.

If that isn’t headache enough, motorists are about to learn the new cycling lanes were totally unnecessary.

The nearby parks project, if you hadn’t already guessed, is a pathway for bicycles. Yes, bicycles.

For now, it’s just a temporary path — the residents of Kensington are being consulted on a final design to be constructed next spring — but community leaders say a permanent asphalt bicycle route is pretty much certain.

“They’re going to build a zig-zag path to allow bicycles, wheelchairs and strollers through,” said Tamara Lee, spokeswoman for Bow to Bluff.

“We are trying to strengthen this corridor as an actual cycling and pedestrian route.”

“Bow to Bluff” is a community project aimed at making the quiet 9A Street route from the steep hill behind Kensington to the Bow River pathway more accessible.

Part of the project includes a link to the neighbourhood on top of McHugh Bluff.

Instead of the rickety stairs that once linked Kensington and Rosedale, tar will pave the way for bicycles and other wheeled traffic.

It’s a ludicrous example of urban idiocy, enough to make cyclist and motorist alike curse in frustration.

Thus, the city ruined 10 St. N.W. with badly planned bike lanes, when all the while a parallel cycle path was on the verge of opening.

It’s a route, to boot, that goes along placid residential streets where cyclists will be much safer, and thousands of cars won’t have to squeeze into one lane to make room.

If the vehicles are moving at a crawl on 10th, furious questions are flying — and roads officials at city hall have spent the week making excuses for the ill-timed, ill-designed bike debacle.

Even cyclists have been questioning the execution of what was supposed to be the first step in a $12.2-million strategy aimed at doubling the number of bike commuters by 2020.

Few would argue that bike lanes are a fine idea, given the right route and ample warning for the public — two total failures in this case.

A poor design and displaced motorists have sent this so-called pilot project into a tailspin, one even Calgary’s mayor is questioning.

That situation, perhaps more than anything, is why 10th is a disaster in the making.

“Mark my words, someone is going to get hurt or killed,” said Colleen Holden.

“If I’d known this was coming, I never would have signed up for that route.”

A Calgary Transit driver with 32 years behind the wheel, Holden has filed a complaint with both the city and her union about what she says is a dangerous situation caused by poor design.

Between buses having to weave in and out of the bike lane to pick up passengers, and impatient cars trying to avoid the bus, she says cyclists are sitting ducks.

As dangerous as the design is, she says some riders aren’t even taking basic precautions as they whiz down the steep 10 St. hill, oblivious to the danger.

“I just about took one out this morning who had no lights on, and he came right up beside me,” said Holden.

“Someone is going to get hurt, and it might be a bus driver who hits somebody.

“I’m infuriated by this.”

finboy
10-07-2011, 10:35 PM
yup, saw them rebuilding that path this summer, and it makes WAY more sense than what they have currently, yet still it seems bikecalgary aren't happy with this solution.

keep calling 311 folks.

frizzlefry
10-10-2011, 06:28 PM
Was in Strathcona the other day. They put in bike lanes not too long ago. I was driving behind a cyclist and we both got into a left turn lane. We had a red light. Little bastard runs the red light, turns into the crosswalk and then onto the sidwalk and continues along his merry way...the whole time he is 8 Feet from a bike lane but chose to use the crosswalk then sidewalk so he did not have to sit at a red light.

Screw bike lanes. Remove all of them. I don't recall a mass killing of cyclists on the roads. Wether you are a car or bike, being on the road carries the risk of being involved in a collision. And I'm pretty sure the death toll for accidents on the road involved more drivers than cyclists. So why are we even putting them in, especially since cyclists don't seem inclined to use them if they can use the crosswalks to get around red lights or otherwise bike wherever they please...

Mckenzie
10-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I finally saw this for the first time today and think it is once of the most asinine ideas ever conceived. I'm all for bike lanes and alternative methods of transportation, but to do a PILOT project in f'ing October before winter blows my mind. Not to mention, this is one of 4 roads that people travel into the Dt core through and now it is one lane?? Ridiculous. Now people get to stop behind the busses when they stop too, increasing congestion all winter. No clue what they are thinking...

bignerd
10-11-2011, 03:08 PM
I don't know what happened today, *I think* a big diesel truck let out a big cloud of black exhaust when the line of traffic moved and a cyclist was going by in the bike lane... the cyclist was yelling and swearing, gave him the finger for like 10 minutes (they both ended up near one another at the red light on 16th).

finboy
10-11-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
I don't know what happened today, *I think* a big diesel truck let out a big cloud of black exhaust when the line of traffic moved and a cyclist was going by in the bike lane... the cyclist was yelling and swearing, gave him the finger for like 10 minutes (they both ended up near one another at the red light on 16th).

i was waiting to hear about this happening, can't say i'm surprised.

Kg810
10-11-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Just watch the pouty mouthed cyclists try and ask that cars must stay 200m away from a cyclist in all directions because of harmful exhaust fumes :cry:

Maxt
10-12-2011, 04:11 AM
Here's the City with a video presentation trying to sugar coat the 10 th ave disaster.
http://www.calgarycitynews.com/2011/10/10-st-nw-bike-lane-pilot-project.html

She says that citizens responded in favour of bike lanes, I actually think groups like Bike calgary respond to anything bike oriented of course in a positive manner, and really Joe Shmoe Calgarian doesn't really give a flying F and doesn't respond, and this slants the numbers.
Also in the video they show an intersection piled up deep with cars, yet they were so hard up for cyclists, they had to use the same 3 guys as cyclists through out the whole video.
If there was really some huge demand for cycling infrastructure, you'd think they could get some shots of random bikers, but it kinda shows really how infrequent bike use is. Again its a minority pushing their will on the majority..
And people, you need to get on the City's politicians social media,otherwise you see bike lanes on Deerfoot at some point..They really are that silly.

bignerd
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM
Not only do you know have to shoulder check when you want to turn right off of tenth ave... you also have to watch for cyclists trying to turn left from the bike lane which is on the far right, across your path of travel. This thing is a mess.

Calling 311 today to complain.

clem24
10-12-2011, 09:58 AM
Hmm going home yesterday wasn't bad at all. Traffic slows a bit northbound after 16th ave when 2 lanes squeeze into 1 before 20th, but otherwise smooth sailing.

Haven't tried the morning yet. Been avoiding it like the plague. Is it still bad?

Canucks3322
10-12-2011, 11:44 AM
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/287345--candidate-for-mayor-pushes-for-licensed-insured-cyclists

Common sense.

Kg810
10-12-2011, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/article/287345--candidate-for-mayor-pushes-for-licensed-insured-cyclists

Common sense.

Would love to see that here :thumbsup:

Orbie
10-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Hmm going home yesterday wasn't bad at all. Traffic slows a bit northbound after 16th ave when 2 lanes squeeze into 1 before 20th, but otherwise smooth sailing.

Haven't tried the morning yet. Been avoiding it like the plague. Is it still bad?

Those of us that have done it can tell you how much of a change it is but it's not the same unless you experience it directly, you should just go and give it a try one morning. Right now the weather is pretty good so on a good day it probably adds another 10-15 minutes to the commute (from before the change) depending on what time you go. Another factor is that most people have diverted to other ways downtown then to put up with this mess, so traffic has and will likely lighten on the 10st access to downtown. Unfortunately this really doesn't mean much because the congestion caused by the bike lanes will still cause negative impacts to commute times. It also increases commute times on other routes like 14th and Center since one of the main access points to downtown has essentially been removed and traffic has diverted. So basically everyone loses, except the handful of bikers.

What I really want to see is the carnage come winter. Buses still have to run this route no matter what. I cringe to think of how cars and buses will interact on that road in one lane when it's icy and snowing. When the backups hit the hill by Confederation park it's going to be fun watching people stop and go on that hill. Oh well at least the handful of bikers in the winter will not be inconvenienced. Oh wait it won't be a handful because putting bike lanes there will make more people want to bike to work from the far north in winter :rolleyes:

clem24
10-12-2011, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
I cringe to think of how cars and buses will interact on that road in one lane when it's icy and snowing.

Hmm I thought buses pull out of the main roadway and into the bike lane to pick up and drop off passengers... Which in itself is absurd and totally dangerous to bikers.

Maxt
10-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Ha, I found the link where they actually had to put a call out for the extra's for the city's bicycling propaganda film.... To funny, all the supposed people just waiting for proper bike lanes, couldn't be found..
Bet they didn't have to put a call out for extras in cars.
So lame...:thumbsdow .....
http://www.bikecalgary.org/node/3010

clem24
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
LOL so yesterday driving home, I counted about 3 bikers using the bike lane. And an equal number riding up the hill on the SIDEWALK at SAIT (which actually was perfectly legal before).

And those 2 into 1 lane portions are CONFUSING as hell... Because the way it's laid one, one lane doesn't really merge into the other, but both lanes equally merge into 1 in the middle.

ExtremeSi
10-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Big time biker and driver here. I think this is an absolutely ridiculous idea. The only bike lane I would feel safe in is one that cars cannot physically drive in. The way they have this set up just seems dangerous. Especially with buses coming in and out of it. Not to mention cars don't know how to properly treat bike lanes because we're not used to them here. It's safer to just leave it how it was.

Better yet, turn the sidewalk into a bike path with a yellow line down the middle and everyone's happy and reasonably safe. I will not be using these bike lanes.

clem24
05-07-2012, 03:00 PM
Bumping an old thread.

These fucking bike lanes are pissing me off. Not necessarily the bike lanes themselves, but the assholes at 10th and 16th intersection. EVERYONE piles in to the left hand lane, while a few go through in the right hand lane. Fact is, if people don't use the right hand lane, it slows down traffic at that intersection. So I usually take it. Then after the light turns green, there's always some asshat that won't let you back in because somehow they think you're being a dick.

Anyone know if this is still a "pilot" project? Nenshi said he'd revisit it after hearing all the complaints but haven't heard much of it during the winter. And don't even get me started about the use of these lanes during the winter months.

kenny
05-07-2012, 03:03 PM
If you're referring to the 10th Street bike lanes, I heard they are going to be removed. They are adding in bike lanes on 6th and 7th street though in the core.

blitz
05-07-2012, 04:02 PM
Bumping an old thread.

These fucking bike lanes are pissing me off. Not necessarily the bike lanes themselves, but the assholes at 10th and 16th intersection. EVERYONE piles in to the left hand lane, while a few go through in the right hand lane. Fact is, if people don't use the right hand lane, it slows down traffic at that intersection. So I usually take it. Then after the light turns green, there's always some asshat that won't let you back in because somehow they think you're being a dick.

Totally agree. Had some asshole in a old Saab try to run me into the curb one morning. It was blue and had a really cracked license plate. Please set it on fire if you see it :thumbsup:

J-hop
05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Bumping an old thread.

What is even worse is a lot of people in the right lane dont even realize the lane ends, I always give people a ton of room but I've seen multiple near collisions and it is very rare that I see the person in front of me in the right lane actually signal when the lane ends, they just slowly drift into the left lane as they follow the white line on their right without bothering to look.

FiveFreshFish
05-07-2012, 06:24 PM

Use the right lane and if nobody lets you in, then give them their little victory by letting them get ahead of you. You still end up across the intersection, rather than queuing up behind everyone in the left and possibly waiting for another light cycle. Let the asshats be asshats. You still win.

finboy
05-10-2012, 05:54 AM
I called 311, the results of the pilot project have not been released so I complained again, and left a message for roads planning to get an official update on the results. If you hate the lanes, there is still time to voice your opinion and get rid of the fucking things.

Type_S1
05-10-2012, 07:42 AM
I called 311, the results of the pilot project have not been released so I complained again, and left a message for roads planning to get an official update on the results. If you hate the lanes, there is still time to voice your opinion and get rid of the fucking things.

Any bike lanes are terrible and there shouldn't be any retard bike riders on the road. I saw an abundance of them out this week again and one flipped me the bird because I honked at him when he cut me off and made me miss a light.

Do you face any charges if one cuts you off and you hit them? I am sick of slamming on my breaks because they are cutting between cars downtown like they have the right to.

bspot
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
^Wait, so you're tired of bikes interacting with traffic, but you don't want any bike lanes.....

Smart guy. I bet you did well in school. :thumbsup:

finboy
05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
okay, just got through a 40 minute conversation with city planning, a few things to note that came up...

-the pilot project will run at LEAST a year, and they did it because it was a low cost test.
-from what it sounds like, they will not completely remove it because "it would be too expensive" and they would rather figure out how to make the system work rather than rip it out
-the city will continue to move away from accommodating cars, instead focusing on giving more options for those who want to bike in
-the city believes that half of people riding their bikes in summer will ride during the winter
-the city want 5000 bikes in the downtown core by 2020, and don't currently have a plan of where to put them once they get there

basically, unless they catch major shit from people calling 311, they will keep on adding more and more bike lanes. when i brought up the bike lane being added to crescent hill that runs basically parallel with 10th street (crescent road to crescent hill, down to 9A where there is a bike lane, or through sunny side to the peace bridge), they said "it isn't the most direct route so people won't use it.

frustrating conversation to say the least, if you don't take the 2 minutes to call 311 and complain, they will keep expanding these horribly planned ideas.

[/rant]

J-D
05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

-the city believes that half of people riding their bikes in summer will ride during the winter

:rofl: :nut:

finboy
05-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by J-D

:rofl: :nut:

seriously, that is what their survey's told them, i walk to work in -30 along the bow, and have yet to see these bikes they talk about.

blitz
05-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I'd really like to see an actual study that looks at hydrocarbon impact of bike lanes that congesting car traffic. 3000 cars stuck in traffic for an extra 5 minutes each day is equivalent to how many people biking into work?

clem24
05-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by blitz
I'd really like to see an actual study that looks at hydrocarbon impact of bike lanes that congesting car traffic. 3000 cars stuck in traffic for an extra 5 minutes each day is equivalent to how many people biking into work?

Well I can see what they're trying to do. It's not really about environmental impact, I think it's more about keeping cars out of the downtown as the city population continues to grow. What's retarded is that a.) urban sprawl means biking to work isn't even a choice for many and b.) who the fuck wants to bike when it's cold out?? It is retarded that they had to do this to a major N->downtown corridor. And then having to deal with asshat drivers (which I find BTW are 65% women and 30% Asian and 5% other)...