PDA

View Full Version : How many kms is too high for you to buy?

LUDELVR
10-03-2011, 03:21 PM
I'm debating about a used vehicle but it has over 275 000 kms on it, mostly highway from what I'm told and it's a 2006. It's a Honda if that matters and it's basically the 3.5 L V6 engine from an Odessey.

X_EVO_X
10-03-2011, 03:27 PM
That is crazy high, the market adjustment for the mileage had better be inline with high amount of kms highway or not. Have your mechanic look at it too!

shakalaka
10-03-2011, 03:35 PM
No way I would go for something with mileage THAT high. I am comfortable if it's under the 100K range, lower the better offcourse. But if it's a car that I REALLY want and it's a REALLY good deal, then I might consider around 100-120K range TOPS.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I bought a 2005 with 176000km last December. It's going to hit 200000km next week.

Masked Bandit
10-03-2011, 03:48 PM
It really depends how much you're paying for it and what you're doing with it.

If it's just for bombin' around town in the winter and the price is right, go for it.

turbotrip
10-03-2011, 03:53 PM
275 is fine if everything else checks out mechanically

D'z Nutz
10-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Anything more than 10,000KM/year unless it was intended to be a short term beater

Abeo
10-03-2011, 04:04 PM
if I'm buying a daily, under 150K is about what I want. I don't like seeing my cars roll over to 200K. If its a car that I'm going to tear apart and modify anyways, then the condition of the car plays a greater role than km. A solid and straight 300K car beats a twisted 90K rust bucket any day.

Tomaz
10-03-2011, 04:14 PM
God, I'll never be able to sell my car! I drive 50,000-60,000kms/year! haha

I dont really care about kms on a vehicle. 150k - 200k is alright for a used car. I expect to pay less than $5000 of course.

1991 Honda Civic... Don't care about kms. It could have over 1,000,000 kms on it and I would still buy it. New engine is like $400 in one of those!

Team_Mclaren
10-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Anything more than 10,000KM/year unless it was intended to be a short term beater

wTF? do you drive like 4 months outta the year? :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
10-03-2011, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

wTF? do you drive like 4 months outta the year? :rofl:

No kidding lol, with the exception of my old prelude everything I own has gotten at LEAST 24K km a year on it.

D'z Nutz
10-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Haha taking city transit to work saves me a lot on mileage. My 2008 Subie just rolled over 40,000KM a couple weeks back and that's including a few trips to BC/Washington. I'd have a lot less mileage too if I weren't driving to Bridlewood 1-2 times a week.

supe
10-03-2011, 04:25 PM
You also have to think about resale value, obviously you already think this is high, after a few years of owning it, it will be an even tougher sell.

Thaco
10-03-2011, 04:31 PM
all of my vehicles have high mileage... as long as it's in good shape mechanically, the mileage really doesn't mean a lot to me... other than a cheaper pricetag :)

The highest mileage i have right now is my 2000 yukon at nearly 300k

all of my vehicles i got for less than 50% market value due to high mileage, and they have all been very reliable and mechanically sound.

corsvette
10-03-2011, 05:16 PM
I myself would rather have a high mileage highway driven vehicle than a low mileage city driven one. Highway miles are easy miles for a car, but they add up very quickly (i drove 75,000km last year)

When i was looking to buy a diesel truck i looked at low mileage and high mileage units. What shocked me was the difference in engine running hours (the newer diesels have hourmeter readings you can pull up on the dash display) the trucks with between 130-160,000kms were owned by guys living in Calgary using them as daily drivers had between 2800 to 3600 hours, one truck with 150,000 kms has 8700 hours!!. I looked at one truck that was $6500 LESS than the average asking price, it had 240,000kms as the owner drove from Crossfield to red deer....it had 3100 hours, no actual Running time difference than the others, just more distance travelled at a higher average speed.

The diesel mechanic i took the truck to flat out told me that truck would go at least 500,000+ KM highway, and that in town miles put much more wear and tear on both the engine and tranny, so he said the lower mileage truck may not be the best deal..it depends on maitenence and where the miles came from.

I kept that truck 3 years, sold it with 370,000 kms. in the three yrs of ownership i replaced the brakes, waterpump, clockspring for the airbag, and some normal wear items in the front end. Nothing more than what would have had to be done on a low mileage truck, so i saved a lot of money in the end, i even got very good money when i sold it because it was still in great mechanical order.

AndyL
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Seriously? 1,800,000 is my max. Yes 1.8 mil

Newer than '00 - id think twice (they started getting good at designing life cycles around then). Older than 00 - I want to see at least 30k/yr - any less and its been sitting too much and is going to have issues.

I've always done better on high mileage vehicles, the low mileage ones have always been POSes.

Rat Fink
10-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Sugarphreak
10-03-2011, 05:30 PM

max_boost
10-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Personally I wouldn't want a vehicle with that high mileage but that's because I can't fix anything. I suppose if the price is right and there is a documented service history, sure.

LUDELVR, there are so many vehicles on the market, any reason why you are after this high mileage one? :dunno:

Neil4Speed
10-03-2011, 05:45 PM
Documented service history is a must as well as a good inspection. I think to how great my sisters 3.5RL runs with 340k on the clock. Supremely smooth.

project240
10-03-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
It really depends how much you're paying for it and what you're doing with it.

If it's just for bombin' around town in the winter and the price is right, go for it.

I think this about sums it up.

Obviously completely dependent on price and what you plan to use it for. I bought my work van 3 years ago with 210K on it and it's probably going to roll over 300K next week. I've never had it break down on me and have only done routine maintenance.

LUDELVR
10-03-2011, 06:03 PM
The vehicle was a lease return and it was a business truck from a company. The lady has owned it since June 2009 and has drove daily in Calgary and back and forth to Vancouver. It does have high kms but I'm keen on this particular one because it's in the colour I want and has all the options and I reckon it's quite cheap compared to a lot of the other vehicles in its category.

J-hop
10-03-2011, 06:16 PM
I guess highway driven is a plus. I would want full maintenance records. If it was going from here to van and put on that many kms in such a short period I'd be worried that on occasion an oil change would get put off or something of that nature. I remember when working for a rental company we had several companies that would do long term rentals and they would never have them serviced (resulted on one van going 30k without an oil change). Now I realize a rental and a lease are two different things but when I was in the field at a previous job I know the guys didn't give a shit about their leased trucks.

Could be a different story with this lady but its something to consider. Make sure you are getting it for MUCH cheaper than the same vehicle with 100+k less kms, not just a few thousand.

max_boost
10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
I would expect it to have new tires, brakes, no crack in the windshields and a full detail prior to delivery.

Plus the huge discount compared to other models.

Lowball her LEO!! haha

LUDELVR
10-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I would expect it to have new tires, brakes, no crack in the windshields and a full detail prior to delivery.

Plus the huge discount compared to other models.

Lowball her LEO!! haha

You know me bro! Which reminds me...I haven't been to your restaurant in AGES! Time to lowball over there! This egg roll is too small! half price! :devil: :rofl:

kvg
10-03-2011, 06:33 PM
A vehicle with that many km might need steering and suspension work so thats a biggie.

kvg
10-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Is this "truck" with a Honda 3.5 a stupid Saturn Vue? If so light it on fire and walk away

corsvette
10-03-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by kvg
Is this "truck" with a Honda 3.5 a stupid Saturn Vue? If so light it on fire and walk away

prob a ridgeline

kvg
10-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Just incase he wasn't sayin what it was because its a Saturn;)

funkedelic2
10-03-2011, 07:21 PM
it really depends on the brand. If it's some $1000 beater than i wouldn't really give a shit about the kms as long as its not anything crazy like 400,000+. As long as it ran well and it checked out on a test drive, i would buy it.

Now i wouldn't buy a "performance" or a car i was really going to care about if it had over 80,000kms.

I wouldn't buy OP's car unless it was dirt cheap and were basically giving it away. At 300k the car is pretty much worthless no matter what it is imo. (In terms of market value)

msommers
10-03-2011, 07:26 PM
A buddy of mine has a 85' land cruiser that quite frankly won't die. Turbo diesel with 750,000km and runs like a top. It really depends on the type of driving and maintenance performed by the previous owner(s).

Cos
10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
The vehicle was a lease return and it was a business truck from a company. The lady has owned it since June 2009 and has drove daily in Calgary and back and forth to Vancouver. It does have high kms but I'm keen on this particular one because it's in the colour I want and has all the options and I reckon it's quite cheap compared to a lot of the other vehicles in its category.

Only thing I can say.... make sure that those claims are true. I was told mine was a lease return to Universal Ford. When I ran the VIN through the Ford Oasis system it turns out it was a Wholesale purchase from Grand Prairie. Granted I have had no problems with the truck that i havent caused myself..... but just make sure that isnt salesman BS.

kvg
10-03-2011, 07:46 PM
Very true Cos, my friends old Red Gti is for sale and they told my friend it was lady driven and trouble free. My friend is a guy and the car was in the shop all the time and was nothing but a lemon thats why he got rid of it.

LUDELVR
10-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Yeah, sorry, I thought I said what kind of vehicle it is. It's a Ridgeline and it's a private sale from some lady. Haven't checked out the truck yet, so hopefully this week.

boarderfatty
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
I would say condition of the car is more important than km as some others have said.

In our shop we have a guy that comes in with a 1996 Chrysler Intrepid it last month he had 671xxx km on the original motor. He uses it as a car to travel from his farm into the city for work. the body is in rough shape now, but the motor runs like a charm, just comes in for regular oil changes and other regular maint.

JRSC00LUDE
10-04-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Yeah, sorry, I thought I said what kind of vehicle it is. It's a Ridgeline and it's a private sale from some lady. Haven't checked out the truck yet, so hopefully this week.

For god knows what reason, our company has three ridgelines. One of them is mine. They are 05/06/11. One has 70,000 miles (american) the other has 260,000 km. Obviously the '11 has barely any. The older ones both run just fine and have no issues so long term reliability seems to be solid. They are not rusted either which is a plus.

The 05/06 both have a piston "knock" at idle that apparently is caused by a common defect through several model years and will return even if you replace the piston. That being said, I don't think it causes any real issue....just gets louder with time.

Some items to consider:

My buddy has a 2010 Ridgeline and bought a pontoon boat this summer. It weighs 2600 pounds with the trialer and makes the Ridgeline struggle like a 700 pound woman climbing six flights of stairs. Or like ToiletD resisting the urge to make a shitty joke about being gay or a likewise stupid comment and sound like an idiot. He is now buying a new truck to pull it with. Clarification, he is buying a REAL truck to haul it with.

We have made fun of him relentlessly since he bought it and we often piss on it at parties out of protest for the way it diminishes his manhood.

I can't fit my motorcycle in the back of mine.

It is ugly as fuck.

I see several around just like mine, they are driven by girls.

It can't haul any significant weight, even in its box. Although by the look of it, several of the girls who drive these could. They too are ugly as fuck.

It does have some good utilitarian uses if you are hauling around some kids. We both know you are not.

The underfloor storage compartment in the box can be used to store a very significant amount of beer and ice. This is a plus.

It's ugly as fuck.

Mileage is decent, all things considered.

It isn't a truck, no matter what anyone tells you. Random people may slap you in the mouth if you are overheard referring to it as a truck.

If mine wasn't free, I would not be caught dead driving in it.

The only reason I haven't been ridiculed to the point of tears for owning it is because I do not pay for it, the insurance, the maintenance or the gas. A person should not willingly direct any of their own money towards the owning or operating of one of these.

EDIT - Also, while the all wheel drive system is capable, don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is a 4x4 because it is not.

Toilet_D
10-04-2011, 01:09 PM
i was hoping you guys would purchase vehicles with a higher range. my safari has 600,000 km's. 300,000 being school zone km's

Canadian 2.5RS
10-04-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Toilet_D
i was hoping you guys would purchase vehicles with a higher range. my safari has 600,000 km's. 300,000 being school zone km's

That is sad in so many ways. :rofl:

LUDELVR
10-04-2011, 11:53 PM
Hmmm...oddly enough, I don't mind the look of this thing and it's actually starting to grow on me! haha :rofl:

That being said, I was wondering what it's towing capabilities were and was looking to haul a wakeboarding boat in the near future.

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

For god knows what reason, our company has three ridgelines. One of them is mine. They are 05/06/11. One has 70,000 miles (american) the other has 260,000 km. Obviously the '11 has barely any. The older ones both run just fine and have no issues so long term reliability seems to be solid. They are not rusted either which is a plus.

The 05/06 both have a piston "knock" at idle that apparently is caused by a common defect through several model years and will return even if you replace the piston. That being said, I don't think it causes any real issue....just gets louder with time.

Some items to consider:

My buddy has a 2010 Ridgeline and bought a pontoon boat this summer. It weighs 2600 pounds with the trialer and makes the Ridgeline struggle like a 700 pound woman climbing six flights of stairs. Or like ToiletD resisting the urge to make a shitty joke about being gay or a likewise stupid comment and sound like an idiot. He is now buying a new truck to pull it with. Clarification, he is buying a REAL truck to haul it with.

We have made fun of him relentlessly since he bought it and we often piss on it at parties out of protest for the way it diminishes his manhood.

I can't fit my motorcycle in the back of mine.

It is ugly as fuck.

I see several around just like mine, they are driven by girls.

It can't haul any significant weight, even in its box. Although by the look of it, several of the girls who drive these could. They too are ugly as fuck.

It does have some good utilitarian uses if you are hauling around some kids. We both know you are not.

The underfloor storage compartment in the box can be used to store a very significant amount of beer and ice. This is a plus.

It's ugly as fuck.

Mileage is decent, all things considered.

It isn't a truck, no matter what anyone tells you. Random people may slap you in the mouth if you are overheard referring to it as a truck.

If mine wasn't free, I would not be caught dead driving in it.

The only reason I haven't been ridiculed to the point of tears for owning it is because I do not pay for it, the insurance, the maintenance or the gas. A person should not willingly direct any of their own money towards the owning or operating of one of these.

EDIT - Also, while the all wheel drive system is capable, don't let anyone fool you into thinking it is a 4x4 because it is not.

TomcoPDR
10-05-2011, 12:08 AM

Lowball her LEO!! haha

And post pics on Ask Leo :poosie:

JRSC00LUDE
10-05-2011, 09:25 AM
Well I'd get some more real world experience from people about towing capacity if that is the case. It CAN tow that boat but it doesn't do it easily that's for sure. There is likely more drag on a pontoon than there is on a wakeboarding boat but, I assume I pontoon weighs less as well so I don't know.

Regardless, in Josh's experience, he towed it home from the states and immediately decided he is buying another truck to tow the boat with after 2 days on the highway with it behind the ridgeline.

Mitsu3000gt
10-05-2011, 11:17 AM
Myself, and many people I know have a mental block around 100,000 KM. There is of course often nothing wrong with a car with 100,000 KM on it but it seems to lower value significantly at that point. I've always sold my cars at or around the 100,000 KM mark if they get that high.

I'd never buy a car with near or over 100,000 KM, myself, however but I don't really have a good reason for that. I'm usually just scared of maintenance and such, and also the fact that 99% of people don't look after their cars as well as I'd like.

max_boost
10-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Myself, and many people I know have a mental block around 100,000 KM. There is of course often nothing wrong with a car with 100,000 KM on it but it seems to lower value significantly at that point. I've always sold my cars at or around the 100,000 KM mark if they get that high.

I'd never buy a car with near or over 100,000 KM, myself, however but I don't really have a good reason for that. I'm usually just scared of maintenance and such, and also the fact that 99% of people don't look after their cars as well as I'd like. :werd: :werd: :werd:

LUDELVR
10-05-2011, 01:47 PM
:werd: :werd: :werd:

Fuck sam, you usually trade cars the minute you get it home don't you? :devil: :rofl:

hurrdurr
10-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Get an Avalanche :devil:

johnboy27
10-06-2011, 09:02 AM
I bought my civic in 08 with 100,000 km's on it and have put another 90k on it since then and have had no issues with it. The biggest expense was a rear wheel bearing(100 bucks). I change the oil when the oil minder tells me too, changed the spark plugs when it told me to and it runs like a top and still gets the same mileage it got me when I bought it. As for the ridgeline, that is high km's but if the price is right and you have no need for a "real truck" then why not.

D'z Nutz
10-06-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Myself, and many people I know have a mental block around 100,000 KM.

Yeah I think it's one of those "rule of thumbs" passed down to us by our dads from when they used to buy and sell cars, like oil changes every 3000-5000KM. Technology's changed so much since then that it's not a really relevant guideline anymore.

LUDELVR
10-06-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

Yeah I think it's one of those "rule of thumbs" passed down to us by our dads from when they used to buy and sell cars, like oil changes every 3000-5000KM. Technology's changed so much since then that it's not a really relevant guideline anymore.

Well, it looks like I'm going to take the plunge and I'll let you know fellas know how it goes! If it goes well, you'll hear about it! If not, then...You'll see a ridgeline shell for sale fairly soon! :rofl: