PDA

View Full Version : Infused Apple Liqueur

wintonyk
10-03-2011, 08:50 PM
I helped out with a community harvest thing on Sunday and have about 20 lbs of apples. In my effort to have some fun and be creative I made a red wine balsamic apple glaze for pork chops last night.

Tonight I decided to go a different direction and create my own apple liqueur. Here is the recipe I went with, modified from a few i found online.

2 lbs of Tart Crab apples
2 1/4 cups Vodka (Wyborowa) - unfortunately this is all i had left so thats the quantity I made
1 1/2 cups Sugar
2 3" cinnamon sticks
1/4 Nutmeg kernel
1 vanilla bean

I diced the apple into 1/4" pieces. And placed all in a large jar. The plan is to let it sit for 1-2 weeks until all the sugar is dissolved. Then strain and taste. Go from there.

Anyone else infuse their own alcohol? I know a lot of guys make wine/beer. I am also thinking about making bacon vodka. Saw it at the yard house. I think it would be an awesome Caesar. https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l2SrwsAesx8/Top0Hubi01I/AAAAAAAAAHk/i8GyUhA8irE/s512/2011-10-03_20-23-59_116.jpg

wintonyk
10-09-2011, 11:22 PM
After a week of infusion, all the sugar was dissolved so I pulled it out and filtered through a coffee filter.

Very smooth. The juice from the apples infused added close to 1/2 cup of fluid to the mixture. I saved the apples as well for a little thanksgiving day treat, might make drunken apple crisp.

The final Product:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--mJOSteYpKo/TpJ_RXoWIKI/AAAAAAAAAH0/PeejdU3gqN4/s512/2011-10-09_23-10-24_874.jpg

Affinityion
10-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Looks pretty interesting, might have to try that sometime

kcasement
10-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Have made a few different ones. Crabapple, raspberry. Haven't tried a bacon one, but I make my own bacon so maybe I should just take some and try the alcohol infusion.

Neil4Speed
10-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Surprised this doesn't have more responses, Awesome!

wintonyk
10-13-2011, 04:12 PM
The drink was a hit with the friends/family. Gotta be careful though because its still straight vodka.

I have a ton of apples at home still so likely going to try a rum based one in similar fashion. Try a few different spices.

Also in spirit of halloween I think I am going to do a pumpkin vodka too.

I swear this shit is addictive. Although it really tests your patience.

Affinityion
10-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by wintonyk
The drink was a hit with the friends/family. Gotta be careful though because its still straight vodka.

I have a ton of apples at home still so likely going to try a rum based one in similar fashion. Try a few different spices.

Also in spirit of halloween I think I am going to do a pumpkin vodka too.

I swear this shit is addictive. Although it really tests your patience.

That sounds awesome, throw some cinnamon in there...thinking I might try making "apple cider" for the long winter ahead :thumbsup:

wintonyk
10-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I finally took the time to make up my pumpkin Vodka. I am only going to be letting sit for 6 days as I am time pressed for Halloween party.

1 Bottle of Finlandia Vodka (on sale)
1 1/2 cups Brown Sugar
2 3" cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp Allspice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
1 vanilla bean
1/2 Can Pumpkin Puree

Same as last time, plan is to let sit for a week and then go from there.

It doesn't look nearly as appealing as you can see haha. Brown sugar totally changes the colour. But I figured it was much more suitable being that pumpkin is in there anyway.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a5pRp0HnFEY/TqM2MmZvS7I/AAAAAAAAAIA/vl0_J4OikXw/s912/2011-10-22_14-52-45_389.jpg

AndyL
10-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Yeah you might wanna clear that :)

Wine making stores sell Kielsol/Chitosan; you'll have to adjust to volume (given they're meant for 5g pails) but they work VERY fast (takes little more than a day)... But be forwarned, chitosan is a byproduct of shellfish; so if you have friends with allergies...

You might want to try puree'ing the apples and adding some pectic enzyme next time - you'll get a lot more flavor.

wintonyk
10-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Filtering the pumpkin right now. Going to use the left over to make some sort of drunken pumpkin pudding.

Does anyone have any chitosan or kielsol? Obviously i don't need enough for 5 gallons.