PDA

View Full Version : Owning A Franchise

jarome
10-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Does anyone here own a Franchise? If so, which one and how do you like it? If it's not too personal, how much do you make?

My parents were considering purchasing one (prob in the fast food industry) just as an investment. Personally I know nothing about operating a Franchise and would like to gain some insight from some beyond members.

ga16i
10-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I don't own a franchise, but I remembered reading the numbers for Tim's a while back:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill-manns-canada-battle-brews-at-tim-hortons-2011-04-19

So that's a start. $265,000 annual profit per outlet for a Tim's on average. I can only assume that's actual net profit for franchisee, it'd be completely nuts for that to be gross.

max_boost
10-05-2011, 06:37 PM
Even if there are opportunities to own a franchise, most of the time they will let current franchise owners have first crack it.

There are also extensive training and capital requirements as well. Now this depends what you want to get into. McDonald's or Tim's? Good luck.

I looked into a Subway franchise a few years back haha I don't know what I was thinking but when I analyzed the competition they had, I'm like hell no. lol

Other smaller names should be a lot easier. I'm sure you can find most of the information in their Investor Relations section of the company's website.

Xtrema
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
It's buying a job.

That's why you see mostly Asians running them. It's a bit better than earning minimum wage.

Of course, There is a few success stories out there when you have the right location. Like 2nd Cup @ Market Mall or any Tim's.

Tim's is very hard to get into. Most good locations are already snatched up by existing franchisees.

turbotrip
10-05-2011, 07:08 PM
the franchise show is next weekend, you might want to go check that out

muse017
10-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Back when I did a bit of research on BP franchise in Calgary, net profit of the location i was looking at was around $150,000 but then again your initial investment would be close to 1.7~2.3 million range(without owning a building). IMO, it's not a bad investment(Annualized ROI is~10% without working at all and if you do work as a manager then it would be a bonus)

TYMSMNY
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
How big of a franchise is the original OP talking about? I highly doubt it'll be a Tims/second cup/BPs etc. I've got a bit of experience in the industry, list out some questions so we can answer them.