PDA

View Full Version : Remote starter help

Hage69
10-04-2011, 11:21 PM
How do they work on a manual tans. car? I'm thinking of getting one since winters almost here and just wanted to know if it can be in gear or not? tia.

Squishy
10-05-2011, 03:15 AM
No you don't want to leave your car in gear if you have a starter.

RickDaTuner
10-05-2011, 03:43 AM
There is no sensor that will allow the remote starter to know the car is in gear or out of gear, there is also no feasible way to make the car come out of gear with a remote start.

Usually the way they work, is you start a shut down procedure, where you turn on the alarm/starter, step on the brake and leave the car running. once you get out and the door shuts, the car turns off and is ready to be started remotely.
The good one have this kind of feature that won't allow the car to start unless you have left it running and in neutral,
but there are some other brands out there that can start the car with it in gear. This can cause the car to lung forward and stall, or completely take off

It can be done, but just be aware of what you are buying. you will also need to make sure that you parking brake is well adjusted and functional.

ExtraSlow
10-05-2011, 06:20 AM
I have a compustar installed on my 5-speed mazda 3. As mentioned above, there is a procedure to follow when you shut down the car that ensures the car is not in gear.

It's easy to do, and has been zero hassle. As long as your parking brake works, there is no downside.