PDA

View Full Version : Photo radar warning

FraserB
10-05-2011, 12:18 AM
There is photo radar set up on the Calf Robe Bridge going northbound. The van is inside the barricades so it is very hard to see until you are next to it.

Speed limit there is 50kph.

ReflexFX
10-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the heads up! :thumbsup:

cloud7
10-05-2011, 02:45 PM
If you are talking about the photo radar set up near the end of the construction zone, then they are out there quite a bit. It is kind of a trap because the road is widening out from the 2 narrow lanes but the 100 km/h speed limit sign is another 50-100 m away. They should move the speed limit sign and you wouldn't need the photo radar there and it would help traffic a little as well. But then the City/police wouldn't get the extra income.

rx-7fd
10-05-2011, 11:54 PM
Totally random but did anyone see a radar van setup on crowchild south this morning around 9am near the turnoff to mount royal, saw a van but couldn't tell if it was radar or not.? :dunno:

Maxt
10-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Next one to look for is the new one on Heritage and McLeod southbound for McLeod.
Its a new style camera in the MIDDLE of the road, on the meridian. Just 3 weeks ago the police said they werent putting up any new camera's just replacing.. Guess they changed their mind..
I didn't see them cut in any loops for this new one, not sure if what measuring system it uses.

triplep
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
If it is 50-100m to the 100km sign, I don't know wtf the cops are getting at? I was under the impression that by the time you reach that sign you are supposed to be driving 100km/hr therefore you are allowed to speed up, so that by the time you are there you are travelling 100km.hr.

so if it is 50-100m and you are traveling 50km/hr which means 13.9 m/s, so you have 50/100ms to speed up..... I dunno sounds like scam.....

96integra
10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by triplep
If it is 50-100m to the 100km sign, I don't know wtf the cops are getting at? I was under the impression that by the time you reach that sign you are supposed to be driving 100km/hr therefore you are allowed to speed up, so that by the time you are there you are travelling 100km.hr.

so if it is 50-100m and you are traveling 50km/hr which means 13.9 m/s, so you have 50/100ms to speed up..... I dunno sounds like scam.....

It's 100KM MAX, not 100KM MIN. By your argument, people should be speeding up halfway through a playground zone to get back to the posted speed limit.

triplep
10-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by 96integra

It's 100KM MAX, not 100KM MIN. By your argument, people should be speeding up halfway through a playground zone to get back to the posted speed limit.

Nope not by my argument, but even in a playground zone, if you look at the guidelines for school and playground zones in alberta, the End of school zone or new max speed limit is posted a certain distance from the school/ park property line. If it is to increase to 50km, then it has to be 30m from the end of the school line, as this is the amount of time it should take for a driver to increase from the 30km/hr to 50km/hr. Therefore, from 50km/hr to 100km/hr I can easily see it being at least 50m to get to the speed limit.

schocker
10-07-2011, 09:42 AM
Seriously :rofl:
You are to be doing the speed limit until there is signage telling otherwise, you are never allowed to begin speeding up in preparation of a higher speed.

Though they should have signs on say deerfoot and stoney merging lanes telling people they should be at 100 when they get on the roadway, not 60-70.

Team_Mclaren
10-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by triplep

You're an idiot, how can you not understand the concept of speed limit?!:facepalm: There's no fucking guideline, you are only allowed to increase your speed when you have reached the next zone. Which means PASSED the new speed limit sign.

schocker
10-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

You're an idiot, how can you not understand the concept of speed limit?!:facepalm: There's no fucking guideline, you are only allowed to increase your speed when you have reached the next zone. Which means PASSED the new speed limit sign.
You must not have driven past the new signs they have installed.
http://i.imgur.com/B78Wa.jpg

theken
10-07-2011, 11:00 AM
i believe that is for SLOWING down hence the warning when speed limit is reduced, so you can be doing the speed limit by the time you get there, there is very few that warn when there is an increase in speed, I can't believe these people are on the road with us. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

triplep
10-07-2011, 11:52 AM
I know that it is for sure for slowing down.

I guess my interpretation is wrong of accelerating towards a given speed limit when there is a change. My Bad.

But I could have sworn that somewhere, I read that when you pass the sign you can be travelling at the posted speed limit if you choose. Which for me, would mean that you are allowed prior to the posted speed limit, accelerate to the given speed limit.

If thats not the case, then I guess I'm wrong

Kennyredline
10-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
Next one to look for is the new one on Heritage and McLeod southbound for McLeod.
Its a new style camera in the MIDDLE of the road, on the meridian. Just 3 weeks ago the police said they werent putting up any new camera's just replacing.. Guess they changed their mind..
I didn't see them cut in any loops for this new one, not sure if what measuring system it uses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meridian_%28geography%29

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_reservation

......otherwise known as the median, which is also not totally right, but better than meridian. :thumbsup:

Maxt
10-07-2011, 01:29 PM
I think I actually meant to type median but spellchecker chose that and I missed the correction.

frizzlefry
10-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Subscribe to the calgary rader twitter. A couple of alerts a day usually.

https://twitter.com/#!/CalgaryRadar

J.D.
10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Yes lovely construction zones slow down all the time or well double your ticket and its the city so no ones ever working there.