PDA

View Full Version : Dog Obedience classes NW

pyro
10-06-2011, 08:03 PM
Just curious if anyone has taken any of the dog obedience classes in the NW. Im getting a pup next month and would like to put him in asap, start him off right. :thumbsup:

bignerd
10-06-2011, 10:19 PM
Um, wrong sub forum.

Kloubek
10-18-2011, 11:10 PM
Anyone have an answer for him? I was kinda looking for this too. Though our 17 week staffie doesn't seem to have much trouble learning:

_6MI6CpVCQM

AndyL
10-18-2011, 11:33 PM
I need to get me a treadmill...

I've been to 3 - wouldn't recommend any... 2 were teaching old school obedience (dominate the dog, who's the boss) - which might work with smaller dogs - but with a very headstrong pyrenees cross (and my wife as the handler) - I'd rather not see what could happen.

The third; well the 16yr old 'instructor' wouldn't put down the iphone long enough to teach anything - so needless to say; we left within 15min - so no real comment; other than they obviously don't take it very seriously with staff like that...

clem24
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
Clever Canines.

http://www.clevercanines.ca/

The only one you'll ever need. Not sure what it's like now but we took the 10 week course. It was amazing!

http://www.clevercanines.ca/core.html

[Edit] I just noticed the price has doubled since we took it LOL (likely due to *HUGE* demand) but still way more than worth it. Trust me.

Kloubek
10-19-2011, 09:01 AM
I'm sure its a good course. But a *GRAND*?!! I can get a second education....

clem24
10-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I'm sure its a good course. But a *GRAND*?!! I can get a second education....

LOL for a grand, *no* you cannot get a second education.

Anyway, look at it from a different perspective. It's 30 classes. That's $32.50 per 2 hour class. If you went to a different course, you'd likely paying the same or more than that on a per course/per hour of instruction basis. Plus, as testimonial, those courses obviously don't work, so it's money wasted. Clever Canines is the complete opposite. Just about everything you learn is practical and for life.

z24_wheels
10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I did Clever Canines. It was worth every penny.

Kloubek
10-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by clem24

LOL for a grand, *no* you cannot get a second education.

Anyway, look at it from a different perspective. It's 30 classes. That's $32.50 per 2 hour class.

Broken down, it actually doesn't seem too bad....

I'd like to think that we can train him properly ourselves by watching Milan episodes, but that's not truly likely the case...

lilmira
10-19-2011, 12:50 PM
Haha, those class pictures are nice. Trying to keep a bunch of dogs to stay still for picture is no easy.

clem24
10-19-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek

Broken down, it actually doesn't seem too bad....

I'd like to think that we can train him properly ourselves by watching Milan episodes, but that's not truly likely the case...

If you enjoy The Dog Whisperer, you'll enjoy Clever Canines. Same philosophy. The Dog Olympics at the end is also really fun too - good way to test how well you and your dog did against everyone else. My schnauzer won the sit/stay competition in her year LOL.

Anyway, it's awesome. It's really the only class you'll ever need. Plus you get to go outside and enjoy Calgary (there are no indoor classes).

kenny
10-19-2011, 01:32 PM
Both of my beagles went to Clever Canines, great class that I would recommend to anyone that cares about their dog.

You definitely could train your dog yourself, but a structured 3x a week class structure helps ensure you stick to it. You also get the added benefit of peer support to help you identify problems you might not see and of course that many more people that will correct your dog when it does something its not supposed to.

jdmXSI
10-19-2011, 02:58 PM
We brought our Shiba to Life's Ruff just by Calaway park and iirc it was close to $200 for 6 classes. Definately well worth it!