PDA

View Full Version : What about a 2012 Focus SEL

Tonny
10-06-2011, 09:54 PM
GF wants a Ford 2012 Focus SEL, around 26K. She like the features of SEL trim, good enough for her daily drive.
The quality or reliability? Have no idea. Some says good, some not. What I know is the American car maintenance is lower than Europe or Japan cars.

She wants a good on gas sedan or even a small SUV/VAN.
AWD or 4WD, better to have, but they're all seems have low MPG. Don't ask me why a HIGH MPG car, no evidence the gas price going down, but higher.
Hybrid? She's kind of not on that track.

Give 10 the top score, what score do you give to 2012 Focus SEL? Tell if you have other suggestion.

davesparky6
10-07-2011, 06:06 AM
:english:
Go for the focusing... It is least at 8/10

gruster
10-07-2011, 08:29 AM
:english:

10-2/10

kamakurakid
10-07-2011, 08:51 AM
2012 Subaru Impreza, you do not need to spend 26K and it is a brand new car, redesigned for 2012, with AWD, great on gas. Base price is about 20K.

http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2012-subaru-impreza-2-0i

heavyD
10-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by kamakurakid
2012 Subaru Impreza, you do not need to spend 26K and it is a brand new car, redesigned for 2012, with AWD, great on gas. Base price is about 20K.

http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2012-subaru-impreza-2-0i

Did you miss the part about his girlfriend liking the features of the SEL trim? A base Impreza will be bare bones and even fully loaded won't have all the features available in a loaded Focus.

Twenty
10-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I have a '12 SE, which is one trim level below SEL. It's been great so far, but one thing to watch out for with the higher trims is the My Ford Touch (MFT) equipment; there have been problems with it, small issues up to the system shutting down. Also, the auto transmissions are quirky at low speeds.

Overall I would recommend it though, attractive car that's fun to drive with lots of toys.

Rat Fink
10-07-2011, 10:45 PM

Bladeh
10-10-2011, 08:06 PM
I recently bought a 2012 SE model with winter package in tuxedo black a couple of months ago, has plenty of power for me and rides well, didn't get MFT but got the sync package and works well with my iphone. I think they cheeped out on a couple of finishing touches in the interior but otherwise it works ok, I get around 31mpg with mostly city driving.

Canucks3322
10-10-2011, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Twenty
I have a '12 SE, which is one trim level below SEL. It's been great so far, but one thing to watch out for with the higher trims is the My Ford Touch (MFT) equipment; there have been problems with it, small issues up to the system shutting down. Also, the auto transmissions are quirky at low speeds.

Overall I would recommend it though, attractive car that's fun to drive with lots of toys.

Wow, good to know Ford is still making SHIT. I knew there was no way all those electronic components would be good in a Ford. worse part is Fotds arent even cheap.

Twenty
10-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Their biggest problem with the '12s is that they're struggling to keep up with demand.

If you get a lower model (ie.SE) you'll be fine. Mine has been a joy to drive and frankly, I don't miss the high-tech toys.

I work for Ford so I get to see all of their new cars on a daily basis, and I've been really impressed. I wanted an Integra when I began the hunt for a second car but the Focus won me over.

heavyD
10-11-2011, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Wow, good to know Ford is still making SHIT. I knew there was no way all those electronic components would be good in a Ford. worse part is Fotds arent even cheap.

They make much better cars than Nissan. Now that's SHIT.

Canucks3322
10-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

They make much better cars than Nissan. Now that's SHIT.

Seriously? From what perspective? I was talking specifically about reliability...you honestly believe yourself that Ford's in general are more reliable than Nissans? The guy above me works for Ford and he's admitting that the new Focus' with their stupid myTouch crap are already experiencing problems...wtf? man...I've owned one Ford vehicle before, back in 2005 I bought a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT, man that thing was a piece of SHIT, 99,000 km and the 4 wheel drive was DEAD (apparently a common problem for that gen of Exploreres, this is fucking SUV for fuck's sake...)and the tranny was starting to go too, the trunk glass window wouldn't open and the lock worked 50% of the time, CV joints were going too...I have never in my life heard of people with Nissans experiencing reliability problems, at least not with newer models...regardless, resale value is gonna shit for the OP's gf...think twice about buying Ford, ya the new Euro designs look cool and all but think long term...reliability issues and shitty resale value...I'd stay away. Far away. With those practical issues aside, I do, however, understand the love for Mustangs though...

heavyD
10-11-2011, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

.I have never in my life heard of people with Nissans experiencing reliability problems, at least not with newer models...regardless, resale value is gonna shit for the OP's gf...think twice about buying Ford, ya the new Euro designs look cool and all but think long term...reliability issues and shitty resale value...I'd stay away.

Sorry man. You obviously don't talk to enough people if you think Nissans you haven't heard of people having issues with them. This isn't the 90's anymore, Fords are more reliable than all the Japanese brands outside of Toyota and Honda. It's been that way for a while now.

AE92_TreunoSC
10-11-2011, 11:26 PM
I've NEVER liked driving any of the focus, and this new one is no exception. But at least the styling and interior tech is really modern and fun to experience.

I'm a fan of the new Ford's and I give them all a fair shake. Even though I'm a Nissan/Toyota guy.

Does the Chevy Cruz compare to the Focus? I keep seeing cruz's and they really look sharp for an entry level.

Jlude
10-12-2011, 12:02 AM

Sorry man. You obviously don't talk to enough people if you think Nissans you haven't heard of people having issues with them. This isn't the 90's anymore, Fords are more reliable than all the Japanese brands outside of Toyota and Honda. It's been that way for a while now.

QFT

Thought this was well known.

corsvette
10-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Jlude

QFT

Thought this was well known.

Sad it is, they used to make one of the most reliable products (i remember having a datsun 510 in hs that refused to die) I know someone very well who works for Nissan, he said its brutal how much their reliability has slipped over the last 5 to 7 yrs.

benyl
10-12-2011, 12:25 AM

Nissans have always been shit. This isn't news.

Rat Fink
10-12-2011, 05:58 AM

heavyD
10-12-2011, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by benyl

Nissans have always been shit. This isn't news.

Apparently to some it is.

toyboy88
10-12-2011, 08:12 AM
Tested out the Focus (2011 model) 3-4 months ago, when deciding between a few models, as I heard the newer Fords were 'alot better' compared to 10 years ago. So thought I'd give it a shot... Didn't like it, still felt 'cheap' (in terms of the build) to me compared to other cars, and the handling wasn't as good as others.

As somebody else stated, take a look at the Impreza 5-door. Ended up going with that myself. Great little car, AWD, fun to drive, and I average about 10.4L/100km in the city so far.

soccernut
10-12-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd say check out the Mitsu RVR. It seems perfect for someone who wants a bit of utility without the size/crappy MPG.

clem24
10-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by soccernut
I'd say check out the Mitsu RVR. It seems perfect for someone who wants a bit of utility without the size/crappy MPG.

LOL WTF completely different class of car.

Originally posted by kamakurakid
http://www.autos.ca/first-drives/first-drive-2012-subaru-impreza-2-0i[/url]

What a shitty review.. Reads like a big fucking ad for Subaru... Even has the same "key words" that Subaru must've required them to put in as this ad.. Er review.

http://www.windingroad.com/articles/reviews/driven-2012-subaru-impreza/?utm_campaign=Weekly+Email&utm_medium=email&utm_source=email-234&utm_content=WR74_3b

Sorry I digress LOL.

heavyD
10-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by toyboy88
As somebody else stated, take a look at the Impreza 5-door. Ended up going with that myself. Great little car, AWD, fun to drive, and I average about 10.4L/100km in the city so far.

Are you talking about the all-new Impreza or the extremely outdated and cheap 2008-2011 Imprezas? That outgoing models could only be liked by Subaru loyalists.