PDA

View Full Version : New to contacts, off and on blur?

OCDP
10-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Hey,

So I've had glasses my entire life, tried contacts probably 7 years ago and couldn't do it, they just dried the hell out of my eyes no matter what.

Recently started a sport and can't use my glasses, thought I'd give contacts another go, things must have surely changed since then. And they have.

I had an eye exam in July 2011 with a different eye doc, the prescription is good in my glasses. Went to another family eye doc today and just used the same prescription from July (it's only been two months..) so I told him to just use that prescription for the contacts. They are acuvue oasyis with astigmatism.

My problem is that when I have them in I get blurry moments, and moments when they are completely fine. Is this just me adjusting, or could something else be going on? It's only been one day but I want to make sure it's nothing worth worrying about. The blurry moments are more than I'd like, pretty dang frequent, but when they're clear they're great... I can barely feel them. I know for sure they aren't inside out, I remember what that feels like.. and there is a little notch in these lenses that's supposed to be on the bottom, and I'm once again pretty certain that notch is on the bottom.

Sorry for the noob question, just really hope these work out for me.

BigDannyCool
10-06-2011, 10:34 PM
your eyes are probably getting dried out. Try some eye drops

turbotrip
10-06-2011, 11:04 PM
glasses prescriptions and contact prescriptions should be different i believe

and yea moments of blurriness is normal for the first little bit. you likely need eye drops or just need the contacts to move back to the proper place on your eye. since you have an astigmatism, the contacts are weighted so if they spin around for a second it will go a bit blurry

dj_rice
10-07-2011, 07:12 AM
I had the same situation as you. Every time that it went blurry, I would blink really hard and it would be clear again. The blinking would re-adjust the contact lens to be center on your pupil again since you have astigmatism. I had astigmatism also. Emphasis on "HAD". Recently did my eye exam and did my contact lens exam again and they said that my astigmatism is gone.

I tried my new lens prescription that is the Acuvue Oasys w/o Astigmatism and so much difference. Its clear ALL the time. Mind you it is a stronger prescription but no blurry moments.

I get my exam+lens at Costco and the guy told me that for Astigmatism lenses, think of it as a football that is curved. And then w/o Astigmatism that is like a dish on your eye. Its only clear when its centered in your eye like a football, whereas w/o astigmatism, there is clearness all around the dish area.

I would go back to your lens provider and ask for a re-examination to make sure your lens choice + Astigmatism is correct.

hurrdurr
10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
Contact prescriptions are complete different as they are fit for your eyes, not just a lense. That's why you're having difficulties, the acuvue oasis are really great with not drying out in my 6 years experience with them