PDA

View Full Version : Tested some SUV's....

g350z
01-24-2004, 08:12 PM
My dad and I went out and drove 4 cars today, we are looking to replace our Minivan in a while...

We tested:

GMC Yukon Denali - well I have always loved this car, huge V8 engine, very comfortable and roomy, lots of great options and solid overall performance - $58,000 (dealer was clearing them out)

Cadillac SRX - amazing interior, good performance, really nice features and handling, but the braking was awful, and I think this is out of the running for that reason - $60,000

Volkswagen Toureg - pleasent ride, great brakes, the V6 was underpowered and had to rev really high to find any real power, V8 model is too expensive, V6 model is around $63,000

Audi Allroad - Nice and roomy, adjustable ride height, full time AWD, very quiet with good power from the 2.7 litre BiTurbo engine, solid braking and good handling - $64,000

We are also planning to test the FX35, the Volvo XC90 and the Nissan Pathfinder Armada.

so far the Denali is the leader in the 'truck' class, while the Allroad is the best of the 'crossover' class...now we just need to decide which class of car we want, lol

Very fun day though, I love testing cars....

JordanLotoski
01-24-2004, 08:15 PM
i looked at alot of the same SUV's before i bought mine.....(ml320) personally id get the fx45 in black, saw one yesterday, damn sooooo nice.....think its has stock 20 inch wheels

redline_13000
01-24-2004, 08:29 PM
Denali:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fluidic
01-24-2004, 08:45 PM
Test drive the Mercedes ML350 or ML500 if you want V8 power. :)

Stratus_Power
01-24-2004, 08:48 PM
the SRX is suppose to be one amaizng car!!

we also checked out the FX35 while we were car shopping back in Aug, and it was VERY nice, but so hard to resist from the FX45.

T5_X
01-24-2004, 08:52 PM
You might want to take a look at the Volvo XC 70. Its a lot like the Audi Allroad, only a little less power and no adjustable suspension as well as over 10 grand less. It pulls our 3000 lb boat/trailer pretty well.

The XC90 starts at 55 grand for the 2.5T, though you might find that a little underpowered (the XC70 has the same engine, but is lighter) The T6 (2.9 twin turbo I6) starts at 62 grand.

The FX35 is an incredible deal though, with an incredible engine even though its a base model... though the FX45 will also be in your price range. Make sure you test both.

The Tourag is such a rip off when you build it up with the good options... you can get it close to 80 grand I think.

E36M3
01-24-2004, 08:56 PM
Personally, I think I'd go with a Tourag, but the newly redesigned X5 is a great SUV too.

I drove most of the big SUVs out there before buying mine, and really loved the X5 4.4i (lightyears ahead of the Mercedes ML and other direct competitors IMO), the performance of the Cayenne S/Turbo (but not the looks or cheap feeling interior) and absolutely love the Tourag, especially the V8 version.

The Cayenne is about to be release in V6 form, which might not be a bad choice to consider in the class you are looking at, although as I mentioned, I hate the interior. The performance is amazing though.

g350z
01-25-2004, 12:20 AM
here is some more info:

our budget is basically $60,000, which is why the Benz and the BMW wont work. The Audi is actually a very nice car, very underrated, fast and quiet and just really smart. I am telling you, on the SRX, the brakes are TERRIBLE....but otherwise that Caddy is nice. The Denali was pretty cool all around, usually we would never think of such a big beast, since we dont do any towing, but we need something we can take on long trips and something that can handle some snow when we head to the mountains. The Toureg is $85,000 is you put on the V8 and the basic options....yikes

I cant wait to test the FX35, since my family already owns a G35 sedan. I have heard it is a great car, but if we did get the FX, we would skip the 4.5 litre engine. I think 280hp is more than enough for an SUV that size, and 20" do nothing but make the ride poorer and cost a sh!tload to replace rims or tires...

hockeybronx
01-25-2004, 01:05 AM
Go with the Taureg man, I think it's the best out of the SUV's you listed.

Neverthless I still think that the Nissan Xterra is the most kick ass SUV on the market.

g350z
01-25-2004, 01:48 AM
lol, the Toureg is weak on power, very weak, and we're not paying $85,000 just to get the V8, for that money we could get a Lexus GX470 (or whatever their middle class SUV is)

We are also going to test the Acura MDX...

James
01-25-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by g350z

Volkswagen Toureg -

Originally posted by T5_X

The Tourag.

Originally posted by E36M3
Personally, I think I'd go with a Tourag, .

Originally posted by hockeybronx
Go with the Taureg man, I

lol, the Toureg is weak on power, ..

ummmm, its TOUAREG!! ;) lol

T5_X
01-25-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by James

ummmm, its TOUAREG!! ;) lol

Haha, you didn't even bother to read the posts before quoting! Only 2 out of the 5 were supporting the tourag choice! :rofl:

turboMiata
01-25-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by T5_X

Haha, you didn't even bother to read the posts before quoting! Only 2 out of the 5 were supporting the tourag choice! :rofl:

No, that's not what he meant. He's correcting their spelling, not facilitating the decision.

T5_X
01-25-2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata

No, that's not what he meant. He's correcting their spelling, not facilitating the decision.

LOL, I feel like an ass now :banghead:

Stratus_Power
01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
why dont u guys look into the RX330. we got ours loaded w/ sunroof, 18inch rims, hydrolic (sp?) suspension, HID that turns during corners, and stuff like that for ~ 62k off the lot

Dj_Stylz
01-25-2004, 11:49 AM
Got try the Bmw X5

/////AMG
01-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Mercedes-Benz ML :thumbsup:

g350z
01-25-2004, 12:10 PM
you guys...the BMW and Benz are too expensive, we wont be able to put any options or they would go way above our budget. The RX330 looks like a good choice, but its quite expensive again, and not all that exciting, I will report back here after I get back from testing the MDX and FX and whatever else we test...

1badPT
01-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Are you going to try the Pacifica AWD or Dakota? I'm interested to hear a personal opinion on that since, so far I've only seen magazine reviews. Plus if you are replacing a minivan, both have the same seating capacity as one, just with the abilities of your typical SUV.

That.Guy.S30
01-25-2004, 01:27 PM
you guys...the BMW and Benz are too expensive, we wont be able to put any options or they would go way above our budget. The RX330 looks like a good choice, but its quite expensive again, and not all that exciting, I will report back here after I get back from testing the MDX and FX and whatever else we test...

dahahahaha man some ppl dont read the rest of the posts before they post.. guys he said the BMW and BENZ are TOO expensive and his limit is 60000.
go test out a 4 runner or a pathfinder.. im personally in love with the pathfinder..

g350z
01-25-2004, 04:09 PM
tested the Volvo XC90 and Infiniti FX35 todat, here is a long review of the FX:

Test drove the FX35 this morning, here is my view on the car:

Powertrain - What needs to be said? 280 horses, really sporty Z exhaust note on acceleration, but quiet when at cruising speed. Nice acceleration and power across the powerband.

Suspension - A touch harsh, but there was no body roll and the handling was basically perfect, I am sure the FX35 would be a better choice in this area, because the FX45 might be too harsh.

Interior - Really nicely done, good seats, enough room in the back seat, some very cool features like the backup sensor and the adjustable light height.

Steering - Very smooth, probably the best out of any SUV we have tested so far, it felt just like the G, which is amazing given the FX's larger size.

Braking - Amazing, the best out there, again just like the G, quick, controlled stops with no nose-dive whatsoever.

Price/Value - Pretty good, the model we would get (just the base one, there is only 1 possible extra package) is $53,700.

Verdict - I love it, and if it were up to me, this would be my SUV of choice, but the bad news is that there just is not enough storage space for longer trips. We need something that we can take for 7-12 day trips and the FX35 just doesnt have the cargo space. I love the SUV, but has been eliminated from our list of possible choices, it would have been cool to have 2 Infiniti's in our garage, but it wont happen...

I still love the FX35....

The Volvo was nice, with the larger I6 Turbo engine, gave enough power and torque (280 lbs ft). It had enough interior space and was quite comfortable. The problems with it were the poor handling and braking and the fact it costs $65,000

So, for now, the Audi allroad looks to be in the lead, I know this may not make much sense to some of you, but if you went and test drove it, you would see the light. The Audi has great seats, is the fastest of the SUV's in the price range and you can raise or lower the suspension by 3 inches to either increase ground clearence or stablize handling. The Audi is a tad expensive, and we wont make up our minds for a while, but the allroad is a real sleeper... :thumbsup:

1badPT
01-25-2004, 04:13 PM
I like the allroad a lot. I saw one going north on Macleod earlier this week, and was like :drool:

Its more of a wagon than an SUV, but that's not a bad thing (SUV's are technically wagons anyways).

AutodreamMarvin
01-25-2004, 04:21 PM
Since your pretty much stuck on the FX35, and you already have great experience with Infinity, i'd say go with them. But I would also suggest trying out the Acura MDX. They're plenty quick, and they are very roomy inside. I love the way they handle and drive. The only thing that I somewhat dislike about them is the useless spare seats. If you don't use them, they are just excess baggage and only take up space. Other than that, they get a big :thumbsup: from me.

illeagle
01-25-2004, 04:49 PM
i'd go Denali, You'll be glad you did when the repair bills come...

- I drove the Volvo SUV, it hauls ass, and has a comfy, quiet interior, wicked stereo too.
- the denali is pretty big, has lots of blind spots and is hard to manuver in tight places, like Chinook mall on boxing day, but it's my winner out of the bunch, but it's kinda played out, like civics.

The rest just look like $$$$ to me.

rogue
01-25-2004, 05:08 PM
i know most people think the Armada is uggggg but damn I LOVE IT. It looks pretty rugged and has an agressive stance. Also like the interior.:thumbsup:

g350z
01-25-2004, 05:21 PM
The Audi allroad does come with an exclusive 4 year warrenty, meaning you dont pay for any repairs, oil changes, maintenance....anything for 4 years.

The FX is just too small, it wont work for us....

The Denali is still an option, I like the looks a lot and I like the fact it is big, I like the idea of having lots of room for long trips.

Yup, I know the allroad is a wagon, but when you raise it up to its top suspension height, its just like the Volvo...

Ekliptix
01-25-2004, 05:29 PM
My Folks love their Denali XL. It's been trouble free and has over 130,000km on it already.

g350z
01-25-2004, 05:55 PM
thats good to know, we did test drive the XL version, because thats the only one they had at the dealer, I dont think we need something that big, the normal Denali should work...

Denali XL = Chevy Suburban Platform
Denali = Chevy Tahoe Platform

mischief
01-25-2004, 09:58 PM

You should be able to get a pretty well equiped ML 350 for under 60. There are still a few new 2003 kicking around too, you can get those for a steal right now.

There are some good deals on pre-owned 2002 ML's in the paper.

JordanLotoski
01-25-2004, 10:29 PM

i got my 2003 ML320 with 15,000km pretty much loaded, for 41k.....full warrenty and everything, and i got it broke in:thumbsup:

g350z
01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
thats a good deal, but I think the ML would also be a little small, and the reviews I have heard about it havent been very positive, but if it is big enough, I would consider it.

JordanLotoski
01-26-2004, 12:15 AM
the older ML's had some problems......03-04's are pretty solid....i love mine, but u cant compare the size of an ML to a denali.

g350z
01-26-2004, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by SIRCANADA
but u cant compare the size of an ML to a denali.

:werd:

:tongue:

Ya, as I said we really need to determine what size we want, since we arent towing, the Denali seems like overkill, but it sure would be nice over a 7 day driving trip, and when you fold down the back seats, you still have room for 4 and a sh!tload of cargo space.

JordanLotoski
01-26-2004, 01:16 AM
GMC vs mercedes benz...tough one lol

redline_13000
01-26-2004, 01:28 AM

I would take 1 denali over 10MLS...to each their own:thumbsup:

JordanLotoski
01-26-2004, 01:31 AM
sure you would your a domestic whore:thumbsup:

max_boost
01-26-2004, 01:42 AM
GMC vs mercedes benz...tough one lol There goes the brand argument again!!

Weapon_R
01-26-2004, 02:06 AM

The Denali is probably built better than your ML FYI....

JordanLotoski
01-26-2004, 02:08 AM
nahhh man, maybe an older ML, i looked at the denali, and the escalade before we bought or mb.....the interior sucked...iam not into domestics though

g350z
01-26-2004, 09:23 AM
the Interior is really nice on the Denali IMO, you can get TV screens installed from the factory, and there are a ton of really neat features...

Then there's the Audi, that's an import that's in a completely different class....

But its not like we're planing on buying anything soon, so we have time to think.....

and the ML will be too small, so I dont care how nice it is, wont work for the same reason as the FX35

hingkit
01-27-2004, 12:41 AM
V8 4runner Limited (height control air suspension / x-reas sports suspension) very tight turning, drives great ... a cheap GX470 ... 55k all done and finished ... pretty good value ... imo

g350z
01-27-2004, 09:16 AM
actually, the GX470 might be an option, but the base price is $66,800, but maybe without any options (since there is only one options package) it could work

sputnik
01-27-2004, 09:29 AM
The Toureg is $85,000 is you put on the V8 and the basic options....yikes

Did you pull that number out of your ass?

The V8 Touareg starts at $63,200 (according to www.vw.ca). With the Premium Plus Package and Winter Package you are still under $75,000

alloroc
01-27-2004, 09:42 AM
+ 7% GST, Plus any warranty extensions + shipping fees.

No matter how you look at it. For the averge person that is WAY too much money. The only new SUV that I can afford that seats more than 4 would be the XL-7

M3STIMini
01-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by hingkit
V8 4runner Limited (height control air suspension / x-reas sports suspension) very tight turning, drives great ... a cheap GX470 ... 55k all done and finished ... pretty good value ... imo

absolutely.... 4runner is the best.

g350z
01-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

Did you pull that number out of your ass?

The V8 Touareg starts at $63,200 (according to www.vw.ca). With the Premium Plus Package and Winter Package you are still under $75,000

$83,000 was the price the dealer gave, which basically turned us off right there, even though we realize we could get quite a bit of money off that price, even $75,000 is way too much for that type of car...

1badPT
01-27-2004, 06:18 PM
Dunno if you missed my post or not, but have you tried the Pacifica AWD or the new Durango? I've seen a few around town, but I haven't talked to any owners so I'm kind of interested to see how they measure up. They would definitely be in the price range, and if you are looking for a larger interior, both have it.

g350z
01-27-2004, 09:00 PM
we test drove the Pacifica a while ago, it was OK, but we didnt like it that much...the Durango looks like too much of a 'truck' (but hell, so is the Denali)

we will probably test the Armada and the Durango this weekend...

JordanLotoski
01-27-2004, 09:04 PM
durango, is one if the ugliest SUV's......gawd awful.....what about the escalade, or the navigator?

ZorroAMG
01-27-2004, 09:29 PM
Durango.................That thing got a Hemi!?!!!!

The Pacifica in black is PIMP...dunno if you saw black in person, but DO check it out before you buy....

Daimler-Chrysler is the Shizzzznit!

g350z
01-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Daimler-Chrysler is the Shizzzznit!

No, we wont get another Chrysler, we've had back-to-back Town and Country minivans, and the quality has been...questionable...

Umm, $65,000 budget....Navigator....Escalade..... :rolleyes:

ZorroAMG
01-28-2004, 01:36 AM
Ouch...owned!! LOL

Ummm if you actually GO to the Cadillac stealership, you'll see you CAN get an Escalace for 65K....I was quoted that myself.

sputnik
01-28-2004, 08:55 AM
The Durango needs a Cummins Diesel engine before i would look at it.

bighead411
01-28-2004, 12:51 PM
Volvo XC90 is my recommend since i don't interest deal with american car.

g350z
01-28-2004, 06:16 PM
I gotta say the new Acura MDX looks really nice too, this may be an options for us...

http://www.acura.com/images/mdx/mdx_gallpop_img7_ext.jpg

http://www.acura.com/images/mdx/mdx_gallpop_img3_ext.jpg

Forty6an2
01-29-2004, 12:42 PM
1. Escalade
2. Navigator
3. Yukon XL/Suburban
4. Excursion (That would be one of my first choices, because I
love big SUV's)
5. Denali
6. Expidition
7. G Wagen
8. Landcruiser/LX 470
9. ML 320
10. Durango w/ the Hemi

Them are my choices but that is just my own personal opinion so if you don't like it just tell me to shut the f*** up! :whocares:

But if you haven't knoticed I prefer domestic vehicles, lol.

g350z
01-29-2004, 06:52 PM
hehe, well the first 4 on the list are way too big, but I respect your opinion...

for us, you have to think about it rationally, we wont be towing anything, so an Excursion would never work...We just want 3 rows of seats if possible and lots of cargo room when the back seats are folded down, a luxurious cabin and solid performance, and the less cost the better

sputnik
01-30-2004, 08:53 AM
1. Escalade - BLING
2. Navigator - BLING
3. Yukon XL/Suburban - too big
4. Excursion - too big
6. Expidition - too big
7. G Wagen - too expensive
8. Landcruiser/LX 470 - repairs will kill your wallet
9. ML 320 - reasonable
10. Durango w/ the Hemi - the hemi has yet to prove itself

Calgarian
01-31-2004, 11:19 AM
Save your money and look at the Acura MDX.

A2VR6
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
Which VW dealer did you go to? If you really want a V8 Touareg theres a 2004 white one at fifth ave vw for 63,150 in stock. It's in their new vehicle inventory off their website. I guess it depends on how much you value or care about fuel economy. Because if you thinking about those Yukons or Touaregs with the V8 you'll being paying at the pump. Do they actually have MDX's in stock now adays? Because everytime i've been to the Acura dealer, almost all of them are sold and the salesman says theres a waiting list.

g350z
02-01-2004, 01:02 AM
firstly, I live in Vancouver BC...

secondly, yes, fuel economy is somewhat important, but the V6 on the Touareg is very underpowered...

Also, the VW dealer called us today saying that they were raising the price on the Touareg by about $4,000...

thats freaking retarded, the car was overpriced before...

A2VR6
02-01-2004, 11:52 AM
Yep i guess the demand for the Touraeg in BC is much greater than in Alberta then since in Alberta i see a few just sitting there in the lots. I agree the V6 is not enough to power a 5000lb SUV but i guess if it sells, the VW doesnt care.

g350z
02-01-2004, 12:20 PM
its not very popular in BC either, thats what's so messed up about it, I see VERY few of them on the roads and there were about 20 sitting behind the dealership we went to... :dunno:

Ducati
02-01-2004, 11:32 PM
Yeah, the Denali is a blast to drive, with the size of authority and that big honkin Vortec. But it will suck back the gas big time.

My favourites are:
- BMW x5 ...just so nice!
- Subaru Forester XT - a SUV WRX. Drive it! You will have fun. Good gas mileage, too.
- Acura MDX
- and two Mitsubishi's, the Montero, because you get a lot of truck for the money, and the Montero Sport, because they are being phased out by Mitsubishi in favour of the Endeavour (which is also nice, except it looks too much like that Aardvark that they call an Outlander) and the dealerships will let them go insanely cheap. They are good trucks, too. As good as any Japanese SUV.
- Lexus LX450 (I think the top of the line Lexus SUV is called the 450, but I could be wrong. Whatever they are, they are oure elegance)
and my personal very favourite...
- a good used 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser with the Turbo Diesel. :love:

screamer316
02-27-2004, 11:34 PM
D E N A L I :drool:

gpomp
02-27-2004, 11:52 PM
For 50k fully loaded, the MDX has the best value hands down and has one of the highest resale values for all SUVs.

asifka
03-17-2004, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by 1badPT
Are you going to try the Pacifica AWD or Dakota? I'm interested to hear a personal opinion on that since, so far I've only seen magazine reviews. Plus if you are replacing a minivan, both have the same seating capacity as one, just with the abilities of your typical SUV.

pacifica awd is ass..:bullshit: most annyoing thing is its cheap interior..
denalis r FINE. powerful, roomy, fun to drive..