PDA

View Full Version : macbook pro or pc laptop

mushi_mushi
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I'm debating purchasing a 13" macbook pro or a portable laptop of the same size (this will be a gift). Im wondering what peoples experiences have been with the new macbooks and weather or not they would make the same purchase again. Im not trying to start a flame war between pc's and mac's, just want to get some input from fellow beyonders. Likewise I would like to know what are some of the other pc laptops that are similar in specs.

Im basically looking for something that's small/portable (up to 14") long battery life (at least 5 hours), nice touchpad and keyboard. This machine will be used for general purpose things, no gaming so even something like an i3 is probably fine. Price is also a consideration, personally I dont want to spend over a grand, but if the consensus is that the macbook is the way to go then ill pony up some of the extra cash. Im currently doing my own research and looking at some of the laptops from samsung and asus.

Enhance
10-07-2011, 07:11 PM
If you're just starting university and you really want to fit in, buy a mac. For all other purposes, buy a PC.

mushi_mushi
10-07-2011, 07:23 PM
Im done with university :) I could care less about fitting in, I would be fine with a 3 year old POS laptop but this isnt for me.

A790
10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
This is a very simple: do you want a MAC, or do you want a PC? They are very different machines.

PC's = easily customized, tons of software/games.

MAC = more "secure", less software/games, not nearly as customizable.

trevh
10-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Mac if male -

PC if female-

Isaiah
10-07-2011, 08:14 PM
For overall user experience and stability I would go with a Macbook. Specifically, I would go for the Macbook Air since you never need a cd drive anymore.

holden
10-07-2011, 08:28 PM
Once you go Mac, you never go back... Big Foig!

7YWTU4BYnWs

mushi_mushi
10-07-2011, 08:30 PM
I dont imagine software being a major concern as it wiil be used for word processing, internet browsing and streaming media. Personally ive never used a mac and am happy with windows 7. This laptop is for my sister. For those of you saying get a pc, can you recommend some decently spec'd 13-14" laptop under 1000. Ive looked at some but suggestions are always welcome.

JAYMEZ
10-07-2011, 08:44 PM
Ill never buy a PC again . I love my mac.. Though I dont play many games anymore.

K3RMiTdot
10-07-2011, 08:52 PM
i bought the hp envy instead of a mac recenty.. i love it

Kavy
10-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by trevh
Mac if Male -

PC if Female-

You are rather confused, I find it quite opposite.

Mac isn't about hardware its about stupid proof OS.

Bottom line:

You will get better hardware for less money in a PC.

You will get a prettier case and a simple to use OS with a mac for a lot more money, A lot more.

And before the crazy isheep come at me, I own 4 Mac's in my studios and own a pro.

However my daily use laptop and computer is a PC so I know both sides.

JAYMEZ
10-07-2011, 10:20 PM
^^ I own 2 PCs and a Mac.. Id pick my mac anyday for normal use.. I seriously would love to throw my Alienware labtop across the room if I ever seen another virus or crash.

I miss PCs for games , and thats about it.

ZorroAMG
10-08-2011, 03:47 AM
If you are a kid and you play games, get a PC, if you are an adult and don't give a shit about programming your computer to jerk you off via coding or some shit, get a Mac.

msommers
10-08-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
If you are a kid and you play games, get a PC, if you are an adult and don't give a shit about programming your computer to jerk you off via coding or some shit, get a Mac.

Man with that reasoning you'd be an idiot to get a PC! :rofl:

Kavy got it right. If it's performance/dollar you're after, PC is the obvious choice.

Seth1968
10-08-2011, 11:14 AM
In general, Macbook repairs will be about three times the price compared to a Windows system.

As far as a Window's laptop goes, most computer techs will suggest HP. Avoid Acer and Toshiba.

Merritt
10-08-2011, 11:23 AM
http://s4.postimage.org/gwvdv5l2/14aflp0.png

ZorroAMG
10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Seth1968
In general, Macbook repairs will be about three times the price compared to a Windows system.

As far as a Window's laptop goes, most computer techs will suggest HP. Avoid Acer and Toshiba.

Repairs? What repairs, I've owned 7 macs since 2000 and none have required repairs before they became obsolete on their own.

DNSRadio
10-08-2011, 11:42 AM
i recently bought an ASUS - for half of what a macbook pro would have cost me .. and the specs are far greater than the macbook pro.

but im using it for my graphic design work....
no gaming or anything on it...

so it really depends on who the person receiving the laptop will be,

a teenager - might what a gaming laptop
a professional - a work horse laptop

a teenager - mac
a professional - doesn't really matter mac or pc

a teenager - mac ( because they want to be cool )
a professional - doesn't matter as long as it does the job.

once again these are just my opinions.

ZorroAMG
10-08-2011, 11:56 AM
A professional doesn't care what operating system they use? I doubt that. One's amazing for creative workflow, the other isn't.

msommers
10-08-2011, 12:15 PM
A professional doesn't care what operating system they use? I doubt that. One's amazing for creative workflow, the other isn't.

With this in mind, it suggests an interesting point. How many people are professionals working with a "creative workflow?" How many people aren't?

Unless you're in a niche field, it really doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot and for what the average person uses the computer for, basically any computer will do the trick.

In the end, go play with each of them and get a feel. If you think the Apple is worth the extra money then so be it.

Seth1968
10-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Repairs? What repairs, I've owned 7 macs since 2000 and none have required repairs before they became obsolete on their own.

I've owned a computer repair shop for over 15 years, and about 5 to 10 percent of my calls are for Mac repairs. That coincides with the percentage of Mac users, so I'm not seeing any reliability advantage.

Virtually all Mac callers begin with, "Do you repair Mac computers?". Reason being, they can't find a Mac tech, or if they did, they thought the estimate was ludicrously high.

I don't doubt your experience, but there are just as many reliable Windows systems. With that being said, a debate of such relies on hardware or software issues.

When it comes to computers, a large portion of repairs are self inflicted. For example, daily virus scans, weekly defrags, registry cleaners, and all other sorts of "Tune up in a can".

atgilchrist
10-08-2011, 12:52 PM
The new MacBook air is awesome, and very price competitive to other superportables.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Mostly it comes down to value. Its hard to beat the deals on some of the Asus stuff, to name one.

The virus argument is IMO invalid. Myself, nor anyone I've set up a computer for has ever had a virus in their life. The most basic of precautions and not clicking "OK" to every pop-up are all that you need 99% of the time. It's just as easy to protect a PC against viruses.

Apple is the "trendier" choice but you pay a hefty premium for the name and you won't get the most bang for the buck.

For what it's worth, nearly every girl I know has a mac, and I don't know a single guy with a mac haha :D .

Seth1968
10-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
The new MacBook air is awesome, and very price competitive to other superportables.

COOL!

I'm at Starbucks sipping a Frappacinno and proudly displaying my Apple logo. Don't fuck with me, as I'm an author in waiting and drive a Prius.

gt2871r
10-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Look out everyone, this guy is obviously better than everyone else. Better go with a Mac then.

mushi_mushi
10-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the good advice guys. Part of me wants to get the mac because my sister already has never used a mac but has other apple products like the iphone and ipad and love them.

On the flip side they are fairly expensive, I guess that goes without saying. Right now the prices for mac's arnt as high as they might have been but you still pay a premium. It would be nice to get apple care and perhaps an ssd but I dont want to add hundreds of dollars onto the price. I noticed that best buy is having 100 off the normal price of the of the 13" macbook pro, its going for 1150 the next few days. Do the prices of these drop around chistmas/new years?

At the same time ive been looking at laptops. As far as brands go asus and samsung look like they make quality stuff although every manufacturer probably has a certain model which is pretty good. I havnt gone to any store yet to try some of these in person but ill probably hit up future shop, best buy, staples and memory express and give these a whirl. I'll list some of the models im looking at when ive narrowed things down a little. I plan on making the purchase in the next two or three months so I have plenty of time to digest all the info and try everything out.

JAYMEZ
10-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

COOL!

I'm at Starbucks sipping a Frappacinno and proudly displaying my Apple logo. Don't fuck with me, as I'm an author in waiting and drive a Prius.

Stupidest thing I have seen in this thread yet.. Like are you fuckin serious? You think everyone that has a mac is like that? Im a mortgage broker / and a photographer , and I sure as fuck would never drive a Prius.. :facepalm:

These threads are retarded. Seriously OP buy whatever the hell you want lol. These type of questions are like asking a guy if he likes tits or butts... No one is right.

mushi_mushi
10-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

Stupidest thing I have seen in this thread yet.. Like are you fuckin serious? You think everyone that has a mac is like that? Im a mortgage broker / and a photographer , and I sure as fuck would never drive a Prius.. :facepalm:

Funny enough my sister drives a prius

Originally posted by JAYMEZ

These threads are retarded. Seriously OP buy whatever the hell you want lol. These type of questions are like asking a guy if he likes tits or butts... No one is right.

Agreed, I thought that the mac vs pc argument might stir up some stuff but I wanted to get a balanced opinion from people who actually use this stuff. Simple thing would to be just to ask whoever im buying what they prefer, but ive been warned not to get either because its an expensive gift (for me anyways)

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2011, 03:40 PM
The new Samsung stuff looks awesome:

http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/office/mobile-computing/ultra-portable/NP900X3A-A02CA/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

Aluminium, super thin, 256GB SSD, i5 processors, USB 3.0, etc.

mushi_mushi
10-08-2011, 04:38 PM
Change of plans. She's trying to convince me to buy her some expensive steak knives instead, she says she doesnt need a laptop but I saw on her browser she was looking at some. I think she just doesnt want to to spend so much money. So instead ill probably get her the steak knives and a 700ish laptop. Still looking for the same kind of thing 13-14", good battery life etc.

If money was no object, I may have gone with the mac, but now ill just look to get her a cheaper notebook. The samsung 9 series is nice but I think its around 2k, way out of my price range. I know there are some ultra portables that will be released soon in the next month or so ill keep my head up. I looked at a few different laptops but havnt narrowed it down yet.

CompletelyNumb
10-08-2011, 05:19 PM
A good set of Zwilling's would make a sexy knife set :poosie:

mushi_mushi
10-08-2011, 05:34 PM
My sister knows which knives she wants. Her husband is into cooking and likes these sort of things. They paid around a grand for a set of knives. The four steak knives I will be getting will be a bit more than $400. I cant recall the brand but might post it later. Probably made of adamantium :)

gt2871r
10-08-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by mushi_mushi
Change of plans. She's trying to convince me to buy her some expensive steak knives instead, she says she doesnt need a laptop but I saw on her browser she was looking at some. I think she just doesnt want to to spend so much money. So instead ill probably get her the steak knives and a 700ish laptop. Still looking for the same kind of thing 13-14", good battery life etc.

If money was no object, I may have gone with the mac, but now ill just look to get her a cheaper notebook. The samsung 9 series is nice but I think its around 2k, way out of my price range. I know there are some ultra portables that will be released soon in the next month or so ill keep my head up. I looked at a few different laptops but havnt narrowed it down yet.

The ASUS U36SD was for sale for $699.99 at Staples. i5-2410M, 13.3", less than an inch thick. It's up to $899.99 again but may go back on sale.

01RedDX
10-08-2011, 07:03 PM

ZorroAMG
10-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by gt2871r

Look out everyone, this guy is obviously better than everyone else. Better go with a Mac then.

^this.

2007RS4
10-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I made the move back to the PC laptop after owning a Macbook Pro for 3.5 years. It was a great computer no question but I am not sure I would ever fork over ~3K for an Apple product again. Guess the novalty wore off for me. Another factor for the move was dealing with these kids working at the Genius bar acting like they were doing me a favor by trouble shooting the computer problems.

gt2871r
10-14-2011, 07:35 AM
Here is a good option OP:

http://ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=64324&vpn=U36JC%2DB1%2DCBIL&manufacture=ASUS&promoid=1366

Previous gen CPU, but the i5-480M certainly is no slouch.

dirtsniffer
10-14-2011, 08:11 AM
^this.
7 computers in 11 years? no wonder you never had any repairs, they hardly made it out of warranty.

OP. the question is, does your sister like the smell of her own farts?

b_t
10-14-2011, 08:56 AM
I record and edit videos and audio on a Windows PC and it works perfectly fine. It's probably better than it would be on a Mac just because both computers are so much more powerful than comparable Apple products.

"Amazing for creative workflow?" What the fuck does that even mean?

viruses vs Windows & Mac. It takes a lot to actually get a virus.. the most common way of getting one is using unsafe computing practices. A functional adult is more than capable of keeping their Windows system virus free. If you get a Mac you are paying a 25% (minimum) price premium to insure yourself against your own ignorance.

dirtsniffer
10-14-2011, 08:58 AM
it means he likes the smell of his own farts

gt2871r
10-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by b_t

I record and edit videos and audio on a Windows PC and it works perfectly fine. It's probably better than it would be on a Mac just because both computers are so much more powerful than comparable Apple products.

viruses vs Windows & Mac. It takes a lot to actually get a virus.. the most common way of getting one is using unsafe computing practices. A functional adult is more than capable of keeping their Windows system virus free. If you get a Mac you are paying a 25% (minimum) price premium to insure yourself against your own ignorance.

+1

Its honestly been years (at least 3) since I have used any anti-virus at all. Anti-spyware tools are important though, but then again they tend to be free.

ZorroAMG
10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

7 computers in 11 years? no wonder you never had any repairs, they hardly made it out of warranty.

Who says I sold ANY of them? I didn't. My mom has my old iMac, still runs, my step dad has another, still runs, my old MBP is my media centre...STILL RUNS, I have my MBA, current iMac and Mac Pro all running fine doing what they do daily for me. Comment on that, Mr. Quip.

Originally posted by b_t

Probably better? So much more powerful? LMAO, nice fucking bench racing. So "knowledgeable" yet you don't know what creative workflow is? Really?

As for your virus and "25% premium" garbage comments, I lol'd.

A790
10-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Fuck such a useless argument, and a useless thread. Apple fanboys will always drink Apple juice and Windows fanboys will always clean Windows.

Whatever. Buy whatever one makes you the fucking happiest.

Kavy
10-15-2011, 12:20 AM
I love watching fanboys justify things.

Q-TIP
10-15-2011, 03:04 AM

Probably better? So much more powerful? LMAO, nice fucking bench racing. So "knowledgeable" yet you don't know what creative workflow is? Really?

As for your virus and "25% premium" garbage comments, I lol'd.

Well Mr. High and Mighty, could you please educate me as to what "creative workflow" is and how the Mac does it better?

I'm just a lowly scientist that doesn't tend to create much workflow.

b_t
10-16-2011, 04:59 PM
I assume the creative workflow is - I have shit I want to combine into something creative. so my workflow is, I record all the stuff, save it as files on my hard drive, and then use a software program to put it all together into something that hopefully resembles what I wanted to make in the first place.

yup can do that on a PC just as well as you can on a Mac.. my audio interface is plug & play, my software works on Windows or Mac (but the lead platform is Windows) and after I installed it that was that.

and bench racing? are you serious? this isn't cars... there is no debating what computer will be faster than another one.

my laptop was $700 plus $200 for the 120gb SSD. I just checked out the Mac Store.. a 13" Macbook Pro with almost equivalent specs costs $1,650us and then the thing doesn't even have a graphics card at all, something you straight up can't get in a 13" Macbook. So it couldn't game, period, whereas my cheap ass laptop somehow runs tons of games maxed out at a solid 60fps. LO fucking L.

Apple fanboys really are something else

dirtsniffer
10-16-2011, 05:06 PM
lol yup...
performace/dollar macs get the bell rung
some things i do like are the aluminium construction, the backlit keyboard. the battery life, the speakers. nice screen. when i bought my iphone at the apple store the 'genius' had to open windows on his mac activate my phone.. that made me LOL.i played dumb and made him explain why windows was on his mac..:clap:

mushi_mushi
10-16-2011, 09:57 PM
Wow this thing turned into a giant shit fest quick. We all have different needs so there's no need to harp on people that chose the mac, likewise if you believe a windows laptop delivers more performance for less price cant fault you for buying a product that best suites your needs. I wasnt looking for someone to tell me buy this or that, I just wanted to get input from people who were buying a similarly spec'd laptop be it windows or mac.

Ive been looking at some of the asus ultra portables, http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX36274%28ME%29.aspx looks nice but its a bit above my price range. In terms of specs it pretty sweet considering it comers with an ssd. Im not feeling the all aluminum look and there are no reviews of this thing yet. Just waiting for a hot deals, havnt seen any that I felt I had to jump on. Wish I made the thread a bit sooner, might have gone with the asus that was on sales at staples, that was a good deal.

ZorroAMG
10-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Sorry about that, OP.

:D