PDA

View Full Version : Hypermiling: What do you guys think?

Green Eggs And Sam
10-08-2011, 10:31 AM
I am a reporter and photographer for The Calgary Journal. I want to write a story about hypermiling, and I am in need of some car-enthusiast's opinions.

Love it?

Hate it?

Is is safe or worth it?

Let me know!

Modelexis
10-08-2011, 10:41 AM
No real car-enthusiast is going to do this.

Unless you're constantly falling asleep driving on the deerfoot and need something to keep your mind occupied.

It has no practical significance.

Kardon
10-08-2011, 10:44 AM
Go ride a bike.

max_boost
10-08-2011, 10:49 AM
This would apply.

SfKTDMEoC88

Modelexis
10-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I've made this comparison before but I think it's true so I'll repeat myself:

Why don't you post up on an athletic forum asking if what the members think about the practice of exerting the least amount of energy needed to get through the day and burn the least amount of calories, because food costs money.

Ask a few marathon runners if they've ever considered taking a bike one day a week to save energy and food costs.

kvg
10-08-2011, 11:06 AM
If people on here cared they would not be driving card with high performance modifications, they would have a Prius or a leaf. :dunno: Personally I don't want do do shit like this to my car.

http://cruisenews.net/whacked/versa/April%2014%202009/2.jpg

I'd rather walk or catch the bus, than try to drive this with a ski mask and attempt not be recognized. :barf:

Good luck though:dunno:

ExtraSlow
10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Hypermiling is interesting for a very small number of nerds. As mentioned, it's not something that is useful for the vast majority.

Kardon
10-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by kvg
If people on here cared they would not be driving card with high performance modifications, they would have a Prius or a leaf. :dunno: Personally I don't want do do shit like this to my car.

http://cruisenews.net/whacked/versa/April%2014%202009/2.jpg

I'd rather walk or catch the bus, than try to drive this with a ski mask and attempt not be recognized. :barf:

Good luck though:dunno:

http://www.aerocivic.com/imgs/rear-3-4-z.jpg
unsure which is worse..

alloroc
10-08-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't exacly 'hypermile' but I sometimes do some of the less extreme practices in my normal commute ... when I remember to.

WOT short shift, coast down hills to maintain speed limit, use cruise possible.

Yet I'll still do the odd hard start from a light and full rpm wot acceleration to pass and I must admit the 'hyper miling' isn't an every day or every drive habit.

It helps a touch, I manage a real world at the pump gas consumption between 7 and 9L/ 100k in the city in a 3,300 Lb AWD car. Around 650k on 50 to 55 litres.

Green Eggs And Sam
10-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Thanks for all the input guys!

Awesome responses. Some made me actually Lol. I am dating a self-procalimed boost-junkie, so these comments are totally what I am looking for.

(He told me he would rather shoot himself in the face than Hypermile, lol)

Please, please keep them coming. I have joined a few other forums looking for hypermilers, so i'm not only here researching.

Would any of you be interested meeting for an actual interview sometime next week? I'll snap some sweet pics of your non-hypermiling self and ride.

ExtraSlow
10-08-2011, 11:50 AM
no need to snap your own pic, feel free to use my avatar.
Caption could be "Beyond.ca Forum User ExtraSlow says that hypermiling is a for nerds. "

Green Eggs And Sam
10-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Hahaha ExtraSlow. I don't think my editors would appreciate that. Something about Journalistic integrity.

black13
10-08-2011, 12:23 PM
fuck i hate the guys who do this.
Always accelerating like a turtle at lights, going below the speed limits and slowing traffic like crazy. Everytime I come behind a prius, i automatically change lanes and rip past them.

spikerS
10-08-2011, 02:29 PM
hypermilling is interesting, and I have tried doing it, but it is when i am in a quirky kind of mood and I have no idea if I am even doing it right, as I usually only do it for a 20 min burst kind of thing.

But yes hypermilling can be very dangerous. Some of the extreme practices some people do just make me shake my head and Darwin smile.

Guillermo
10-08-2011, 03:01 PM
i think it's kind of a neat idea, but i like speed to much to ever do it.

Mitsu3000gt
10-08-2011, 03:44 PM
On a scale of 1 to Richard Simmons, I put hypermiling around a 9 or 9.5. Pretty gay, IMO, and not worth the effort or annoyance it is to other drivers.

slinkie
10-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Kardon

unsure which is worse..

If it said XYZ RACING JAPAN on the side everyone would hella have it yo

rage2
10-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Kardon
unsure which is worse..
Arash does civics too? I thought he just did 300zx's.

Benny
10-08-2011, 03:59 PM
To me, hypermiling is the anti-driving.

I, like many other like minded individuals on this forum, enjoy the pleasurable sensation that driving a vehicle gives me. Driving is about freedom and the experience of connecting human muscular coordination to a machine that's capable of relatively unbelievable things. Not to mention the fact that I believe we are in the golden age of driving. We finally have vehicles that are reliable and refined enough to have incredible amounts of power without them breaking constantly, yet we're not quite in the time where there is such a significant gas crunch that we literally must drive like old ladies in order to stretch out every last drop of gasoline we have. Driving to me is so much more than just a way to get from point A to point B.

The idea of driving in a manner that uses a tiny fragment of the potential of my vehicle in order to save an almost immeasurable amount of fuel just boggles my mind. I'm not some stupid fast and furious kid who revs around and races anything with wheels either. I drive my car (RWD V8) responsibly but like it was designed to be driven. People have the dedication and stubbornness to go through their inevitably shitty lives with the intention of creeping away from lights and coasting to a stop from a kilometre away. This makes me know for a fact that not only are they incredibly boring, and nerds, but that they are also complete fuckheads who can't derive joy from one of the most pleasurable sensations human beings can experience.

Damn, I was trying to get through this without going into a profanity laden rant. The problem with asking that question on a car forum such as this is that you're only going to get one type of answer. Car guys hate what the hypermiling types stand for, and vice versa. In summary, I love driving and I love driving my way. Fuck it, it's only gas.

FraserB
10-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I drive something with the aerodynamic qualities of a brick and have 12.5" wide mud terrains on it. I dont drive slow to save gas since it would ruin the enjoyment of my vehicle. Pay to play. If saving the one or two dollars is that important to you, ride a bike.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Its fucking stupid imo.

FraserB
10-08-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
Its fucking stupid imo.

This quote plus Twim_Cam's avatar = selling out of your paper.

zipdoa
10-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Do you have to do ridiculous aero-mods to your car to hypermile? No.

I enjoy a spirited drive as much as the next guy, but I'd rather coast to a stop and accelerate slowly and get significantly better fuel economy than just bagging on my car all the time. It's the difference between 8L/100km and 12L/100km, which is quite a margin.

Not only are you saving fuel, but coasting as much as possible helps reduce wear on your brakes and tires.

Will I do some WOT runs? Yes.

Do I need to drive my car to it's full potential, just because I can? No.

Does a healthy dose of hypermiling technique make a significant difference in mileage? Absolutely.

78si
10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
go to www.gassavers.org :thumbsup:

RickDaTuner
10-08-2011, 04:43 PM
If people are able to take cars from the factory and turn them into gas vapor inhaling 1.1L per 100km economy machines; Well, what does that say about the current focus on fuel consumption from auto manufactures.

Hyper milling....

Its interesting, but I see it just like hoarding, and extreme couponing. You kinda have to be a little nutty to be doing it.

e31
10-08-2011, 08:06 PM
If you want some real insight into super-mileage vehicles the U of S has run a very successful program for many decades. So successful that Transport Canada has been purchasing all the cars & tech documentation, only to shelve and warehouse anything related to the matter.

I can speculate why they would participate in a coverup, but I have never been given an official reason.

tirebob
10-08-2011, 09:09 PM
I try to practice driving for fuel economy as often as I can. Maybe not "hypermiling", but I definitely try to leave extra distance between myself and the car in front of my so I am not on the brakes and gas as often, and anticipating light and getting off the gas early and coating to the light hoping to get back on the gas without having to hard accelerate. I try to coast down hills not on the gas. I try not to accelerate too fast during normal driving (although I won't hold up traffic to do it).

All these things can make a real difference, especially with certain vehicles. For my commute in my old 1989 Dodge truck with a primitive fuel injected (compared to today's system) 318 engine, 4 speed manual transmission (which is really more like a 3 speed as first is only for starting while towing a heavy load), I can vary from between 500kms to 650kms to a full tank depending on how vigilant I am about driving for economy. 150kms is a lot when your truck holds over 100L!

With my QX56 it only seems to make around a 100km swing during my regular driving routine, but that being said, over the course of the last year I have not reset my fuel economy computer even once, and driving the way I do I have averaged 15.3L/100km city and hwy combined, which is quite excellent for a vehicle like this!

I have actually tested this thoroughly. I figure with the amount of driving I do (or I should say "we" with me and my wife combined), I am saving around $1000.00 a year in gas (give or take). I am happy with that...

Abeo
10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
Fanatic hypermiling is a very selfish act when you think about it. Its one person who is inconveniencing drivers around them, for the sole basis of them saving fuel. For instance:

Hypermiler accelerates at a slow pace. Person behind him accelerates normally, then jams on the brakes because hypermiler is moving as fast as a moped. Now the person behind hypermiler has to find a gap in traffic to pass hypermiler, which is difficult because people behind him are fed up and passing while he's still going at a snails pace.

Hypermiler is on the freeway, at 80% the speed of traffic. The above gets repeated.

Not to mention people getting aggravated driving behind someone who starts coasting blocks in advance of a red light, and takes forever to get going again. People who are annoyed while driving tend to use more fuel.

This results in the people around the hypermiler are using more gas because of the hypermiler's driving habits. And the hypermiler's tactics only works if few people do it, otherwise it snarls traffic (which is the worst condition for fuel economy).

Sugarphreak
10-08-2011, 09:27 PM

M.alex
10-08-2011, 10:03 PM
It may work for mpg purposes, but if you do that shit infront of me I'll pass you on the shoulder and run you off the road (serious) :whipped:

Cos
10-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Some aspects of Hypermilling are valid, most involve inconveniencing other vehicles, and some are downright dangerous.

A lot of hypermillers will fill their tires to well over 100psi, much higher than the rated sidewall pressure. This is dangerous to them if it blows out while filling or on the road, but it also reduces the handling and braking capacity of the car.

Risky stunts involving drafting and "Pulse and Glide" techniques (turning off the engine while moving) are also very dangerous and could lead to a serious accident.

For those who turn their engine off as they come to a stop, they are relying on manual brake and steering power. I see it as a serious risk to those around you. If for any reason you need to brake hard or steer to avoid something, you are hooped. I am also sure the safety devices in the car (seatbelts, airbags, ect) would be compromised with the engine off.

+1 couldnt have said it better myself.

schocker
10-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Abeo
Fanatic hypermiling is a very selfish act when you think about it. Its one person who is inconveniencing drivers around them, for the sole basis of them saving fuel. For instance:

Hypermiler accelerates at a slow pace. Person behind him accelerates normally, then jams on the brakes because hypermiler is moving as fast as a moped. Now the person behind hypermiler has to find a gap in traffic to pass hypermiler, which is difficult because people behind him are fed up and passing while he's still going at a snails pace.

Hypermiler is on the freeway, at 80% the speed of traffic. The above gets repeated.

You have just described more than half of calgary drivers though, I am sure they arn't hypermiling :rofl:

89s1
10-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I've posted this before, and it applies here too.

If it takes you over 3 blocks to accelerate your car to 60 km/h for whatever reason, (gas savings being one of them) take the bus.

georgemagana
10-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by schocker

You have just described more than half of calgary drivers though, I am sure they arn't hypermiling :rofl:

THIS!!! hahaha. The only time i coast is when i have a red light in front of me. Love to see all the retards speeding up and then hit the brakes hard about 10 meters before the light haha.

Guillermo
10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
was thinking about this this morning when I left to come into work. I'm generally pretty heavy on the gas and drive well above he speed limit. I usually get around 10.5 L/100 km (22.4 mpg).

Out of curiosity though, I reset my trip computer this morning, and took it SUPER easy on the gas, coasting to stop lights and using the cruise control set to the speed limit. My trip was about 10-15 minuets mostly on Crowchild, and there wasn't the usual stop-and-go that I drive thorough most of the time...

However, my mileage increased to 6.36 L/100 km (37 mpg), which is quite outstanding! I'm going to keep driving like this for a week or so just to see what kind of difference it makes over the longer term, but then i'm sure i'll go back to my lead-footed ways since I'm waaaaaaaaaay to impatient to drive like Ned Flanders all the time LOL.

alloroc
10-09-2011, 01:12 PM
^You'll notice a big difference. As I mentioned earlier I don't really hyper mile as much as just use common sense.

There are some other advantages .. way less brake and engine wear. Especially with a manual transmission and short shifting.

Guillermo
10-09-2011, 01:24 PM
I agree with the others here though that there is a BIG difference between trying to be easy on the gas, and hypermiling. i think some of those hypermilers are pretty psychotic... turning off their engines and coasting to red lights, etc. think about all the extra wear on your starter and engine, too.

gyu
10-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Hypermiling is too extreme, I try to save gas but nothing like that.
- Coast down hills
- Accel. slower
- Try to minimize complete stops

I noticed the light on Shag and John Laurie has a ridiculous wait time so if the light turns red and I know I will make the next light I will turn off my car and wait, something I started doing recently.

schocker
10-09-2011, 08:28 PM
While I don't hyper mile I also do some gas saving tips, like accelerating smoothly but not really slowly, coasting on hills, not giving it gas when the light is red etc. and my mileage has actually improved quite a bit. Probably the biggest idea here is don't hit the gas if you know you are going to stop, while it sounds dumb, it is a big waster of fuel.

Green Eggs And Sam
10-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you so much guys! This is all amazing, I am loving all of these comments. Some made me laugh, some made me want to interview you for my story.

Tirebob, I will be calling you on Tuesday. I want you for this article.

Any of you others out there, I have contacted someone from http://100mpg.ca/ to talk to me about why it is awesome, so I want someone who is not into it to also be a voice for this story.

Please send me a PM in the next couple days with a way I can contact you, and we will set something up.

You guys rock my world.

Green Eggs And Sam
10-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
On a scale of 1 to Richard Simmons, I put hypermiling around a 9 or 9.5. Pretty gay, IMO, and not worth the effort or annoyance it is to other drivers.

Oh sweet jesus. Best rating system ever. Both me and the boyfriend are now implementing this as our new homo-meter.

J-hop
10-09-2011, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by gyu
Hypermiling is too extreme, I try to save gas but nothing like that.
- Coast down hills
- Accel. slower
- Try to minimize complete stops

I noticed the light on Shag and John Laurie has a ridiculous wait time so if the light turns red and I know I will make the next light I will turn off my car and wait, something I started doing recently.

You do realize your startup enrichment probably makes up for a lot of the gas you've saved from not idling for 30seconds. Plus the added strain on your battery from doing this regularly is going to shorten its lifespan so really in the long run you're probably going to break even if not spend more.

Guillermo
10-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Green Eggs And Sam
Any of you others out there, I have contacted someone from http://100mpg.ca/ to talk to me about why it is awesome, so I want someone who is not into it to also be a voice for this story.

LOL, typical reporter trying to find two people who just want to argue and fight with each other. :rofl:

Sentry
10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by J-hop

You do realize your startup enrichment probably makes up for a lot of the gas you've saved from not idling for 30seconds. Plus the added strain on your battery from doing this regularly is going to shorten its lifespan so really in the long run you're probably going to break even if not spend more.
Bullshit.

If the engine is warm, no real enrichment is needed and all it takes is a bump of the key to fire it back up.

FraserB
10-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Guillermo

LOL, typical reporter trying to find two people who just want to argue and fight with each other. :rofl:

At least he is better than Markham:nut:

Sentry
10-10-2011, 11:09 AM
Also, I should mention: My daily commute is 30 km, all highway, no cops ever. I speed like fuck to get to work every morning and get 10l/100km. If I did 110 could I get 8l/100km or less? For sure. Is it worth it for 3 bucks a week I might save? Hell no.

Everybody speeds. Everybody who's not annoying.

gyu
10-10-2011, 11:25 AM

You actually idle there for around 6 minutes between each light change, and if it's busy you usually don't make the first light. I don't drive by there on a regular basis though.

M.alex
10-10-2011, 11:31 AM

Because of the amount of gas used during startup, isn't it something like you'd have to idle for 5minutes before you'd burn the same amount?

alloroc
10-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by M.alex

Because of the amount of gas used during startup, isn't it something like you'd have to idle for 5 minutes before you'd burn the same amount?

I don't do it but I would save fuel if I did.

Unless you have a poorly tuned carbureted V8 that has to be nearly flooded on every start the answer is absolutely not.

The numbers bandied about recently are between 10 and 30 seconds of idling time = one startup for most fuel injected cars with modern ECU's. That's about 1/2 a teaspoon worth of extra gas for to start an average modern automobile.

J-hop
10-10-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

Bullshit.

If the engine is warm, no real enrichment is needed and all it takes is a bump of the key to fire it back up.

Just wondering but have you tuned a fuel management system from the ground up before? You do have to set a warm enrichment as well as a cold enrichment, ask me how I know haha. That was an embarrassing first week when I couldn't get the warm enrichment correct.

Originally posted by gyu

You actually idle there for around 6 minutes between each light change, and if it's busy you usually don't make the first light. I don't drive by there on a regular basis though.

Weird, Ive never waited that long there and I hit that intersection daily.

gyu
10-10-2011, 01:42 PM
^ the people going on John Laurie have it good while the people on Shag get screwed is what I found haha.

Green Eggs And Sam
10-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by FraserB

At least he is better than Markham:nut:

I'll take that as a compliment, although I don't know who this "Markham" character is. hahaha

I'm still looking for someone to talk to me IRL. I'll buy coffee. :D

Please send me a PM!

Team_Mclaren
10-11-2011, 08:51 PM
I drive a rotary, its like global warming on wheels. Burns the most gas, gives you the worst milage. Hypermiling or not it'll still give you shit milage. so no i dont hypermile. :rofl:

Rat Fink
10-12-2011, 05:49 AM

Maxt
10-12-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by alloroc

I don't do it but I would save fuel if I did.

Unless you have a poorly tuned carbureted V8 that has to be nearly flooded on every start the answer is absolutely not.

The numbers bandied about recently are between 10 and 30 seconds of idling time = one startup for most fuel injected cars with modern ECU's. That's about 1/2 a teaspoon worth of extra gas for to start an average modern automobile.
Not to mention you have to recharge the power that came out of the battery on every startup. A starter motor draws something like 200 amps on cars, and more on larger engines..Actual power used, would depend on cranking time.

Hallowed_point
10-12-2011, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by black13
Always accelerating like a turtle at lights, going below the speed limits and slowing traffic like crazy. Everytime I come behind a prius, i automatically change lanes and rip past them.

:thumbsup:

jonnycat
10-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by black13

Everytime I see a Prius, I must pass him/her at WOT getting the worst mileage possible.

AndyL
10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Was in Popular mechanics that arrived today: 160mpg
http://gas2.org/2011/07/14/west-philly-high-school-builds-160-mpg-supercar-win-green-grand-prix/

http://c1.gas2.org/files/2011/07/west-philly-hybrid.jpg

I'd hypermile it :) But ya gotta do something about the Arash quality duct tape work...

Kg810
10-12-2011, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Abeo

Not to mention people getting aggravated driving behind someone who starts coasting blocks in advance of a red light, and takes forever to get going again. People who are annoyed while driving tend to use more fuel.

This results in the people around the hypermiler are using more gas because of the hypermiler's driving habits. And the hypermiler's tactics only works if few people do it, otherwise it snarls traffic (which is the worst condition for fuel economy).

+1 to this

Super selfish and annoying to be behind.

And with all the topics of cyclists lately, what you just described here and what everyone else is saying they find annoying is exactly what cyclists do.

Hypermilers and cyclists who ride like asshats should just take the bus/train or make some friends and carpool.

Hallowed_point
10-12-2011, 12:25 PM
For some reason I pictured the guy in his red Yaris in front of me last night saying - "see honey, if I shift at 700 rpm , I can save extra money on gas for our seaweed research trip on Gabriola Island next summer" :D

Green Eggs And Sam
10-14-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm coming up on my deadline, and it's approaching... fast. I would LOVE to get in contact with one of you, even for a short phone interview.

Help a journalism student out!

:)

forced_eg
11-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Hyper milling is also impossible when you have an awesome head turning bov!