PDA

View Full Version : linde werdelin

pinoyhero
10-08-2011, 03:35 PM
need a sportier watch with great durability and although bellross seems like the ob choice, im looking for alternatives, anyone know if you can even get a linde in yyc? carty roadster i wear with a suit on weekdays isnt cuttin it with weekend wear

statick
10-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Pinoyhero, there isn't an AD in Calgary but L'Oro Jewellers in GTA is. You could arrange to purchase one from them and have it shipped, but HST may be involved ;-)

What are you thinking of picking up? Spidospeed? Oktopus? Best of luck with the hunt and let us know how it goes!

rage2
10-09-2011, 01:44 AM
The Spidolite 2 is out next month, awesome looking watch. Only 200 being made in titanium (which does tend to scratch easily).

If you're looking for durability, find a ceramic watch. You can smack em around and they don't scratch.

pinoyhero
10-09-2011, 08:29 AM
I figured loro was the only yyc place, not crazy about buying without touching, argh. I was gonna go okto.

Thoughts on the bell ross, a step down I know. Was also thinking marine j12 but feels like a miata. Looked at the j12 chromatic a well, same thing.

Was gonna even go cheap and get a lumtec but I'm a bit lost here. I even though gshock but its a bit to ronron for me.

Ideas?

statick
10-10-2011, 12:17 PM
I think a G-Shock makes a great activewear watch and for the price, there's not much harm in having one in the stable. Especially because they come in different colors and styles and with different functions.

I'm not sure how much of a fan of Omega I am these days, but a Planet Ocean on a rubber strap is a potential option. But for less than three grand, a Breitling Superocean Steelfish is worth a look at.

Another good, unique option for even less is the Sinn U1:
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/Sinn-U1-on-Bracelet-6p415.htm

Are there any criteria in specific for which you are looking in your weekend watch?

You mentioned the Marine J12, so I assume your budget is around four or five grand. Is this correct?

pinoyhero
10-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the reply. This will sound bad but my budget is whatever. I mean I'm not gonna spend 25k but I really am looking for the best value watch that fits what I'm after, if its 10k, fine. I don't mind omegas, but to me the have a but of a stigma of being the poor mans rollie, that said rolex doesn't make the type of watch I'm after (I love the submariner but think ill beat it up too much). Will check out the planet ocean though. I dislike breitlings, I don't mind some but they feel like the ed hardy of mid level watches. Sorry to those with briets and omegas! Don't mind the sinn but for the money I think it rather go with the b and r.

I want a watch I can wear with a t and jeans, maybe into the pool with my kid, on a run, and to work on casual fridays. Basically a nice watch that can be worn casual and take a beating. I love the oktopus but no sure I'm willing to commit to nearly 10k with out even seeing the watch.

rage2
10-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I want a watch I can wear with a t and jeans, maybe into the pool with my kid, on a run, and to work on casual fridays. Basically a nice watch that can be worn casual and take a beating. I love the oktopus but no sure I'm willing to commit to nearly 10k with out even seeing the watch.
http://www.timeimports.com/designer-watches/pc/catalog/301.ci.1770.rx_732_detail.jpg

You can find it for about 12k to 13k. Case and bezel in ceramic, which doesn't scratch. I've only seen a few cases where the ceramic chipped, and that's from dropping the watch on tile.

While I don't have the Black Magic shown here, I've got a few Hublots if you wanna see 'em in person. Calgary Jewellery is the official dealer in Calgary, but their stock is uber low.

pinoyhero
10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
do like that hublot, but that's testing the budget for a watch a like but don't love. Foreign movement replaced by wicked marketing. I'm torn. Probably step down from that and go with the b and r or try to get my hands on a linde next time I travel. You always buy from cj? I like the seamaster a lot now but still not convinced on omegas ... Other suggestions?

rage2
10-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Yea, that's why I offered to let you check my Hublots first. I didn't understand the Hublot appeal at first, everyone (well, before all the rappers) that owned them loved them, but like you I couldn't figure out what was so special for the money. I finally bought one sight unseen just to see what the fuss is about.

Once you see it in person and wear one, you'll understand. It's the most comfortable watch I've ever worn, rugged, looks good with shorts, jeans, suits. It looks way better in person than in pictures.

The service level for Hublots is awesome too. The CEO hand writes an extended warranty for 5 yrs if you post a pic of your watch on TZ.

As for the movements, they're La Joux-Perret movements which are based off the Valjoux 7750 as a base. You can move to in-house movements if you move to the King Power Unicos, but that's closer to $16k start.

http://www.goldwatches.com/WatchImages/Large/4287.jpg

pinoyhero
10-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Omg that unuicos is sick. Where do you buy your watches rage?

rage2
10-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Calgary Jewellery. Although sometimes you can get a better deal going through the US.

adamc
10-11-2011, 03:04 PM
If you are spending that much you can get in to IWC and AP (used) territory.

Hublots, while nice to look at, don't really have the cachet for the extravagant price tags.

adamc
10-11-2011, 03:06 PM
You can find IWC big pilot for under 10k, they are a great all around watch imho.

Impreza
10-12-2011, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by adamc
You can find IWC big pilot for under 10k, they are a great all around watch imho.

Where can I find an IWC Big Pilot for under $10k? I have always wanted one, and if the price point is under $10k, I might be tempted enough to pick on up.

rage2
10-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
Where can I find an IWC Big Pilot for under $10k? I have always wanted one, and if the price point is under $10k, I might be tempted enough to pick on up.
Used maybe. That watch would get beat up so bad after a month if you're not careful. I refuse to buy stainless steel cased watches now cuz it nicks and dings so damn easy.

Impreza
10-12-2011, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Used maybe. That watch would get beat up so bad after a month if you're not careful. I refuse to buy stainless steel cased watches now cuz it nicks and dings so damn easy.

That's what I'm thinking. Would be tough to get a big pilot NEW under $10k. Im not too interested in a used one unless it was in pretty much like new condition.

adamc
10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Used but just refurbed at IWC

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5874047&rid=0

99.9% 10k

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=196511

rage2
10-12-2011, 03:31 PM
meh, for that price on the IWC's I'd pay a little more and grab a used Da Vinci Kurt Klaus in stainless. That's a real movement!

FYI - those IWC BP's are asking crack money for used. IWC's hold value comparable to TAG Heuers.

statick
10-12-2011, 06:13 PM
Pinoyhero, with a budget as wide as ten grand and very few specific criteria, as you can tell, there are so many options.

I think it's best if you take a trip to Calgary Jewellery and either Brinkhaus or J. Vair Anderson. If Rage is still down, try some Hublots too.

Another good option may be a ceramic Rolex Submariner.

I'm not sure how you feel about the current generation IWC Aquatimer, but it feels to be a quality piece and isn't too pricey. If I'm buying an IWC, that's the one.

I'd also be considering a few JDM Seikos...

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBDX001/SEIKO-Prospex-300M-Diver-Automatic-SBDX001-Marine-Master.html

http://www.seiyajapan.com/product/S-SBDB001/SEIKO-Prospex-600M-Diver-Spring-Drive-SBDB001.html

...But I understand this may not be everyone's cup of tea. Their Spring Drive movements seem promising, but I'm interested to see how the long-term durability is.

adamc
10-13-2011, 02:27 AM
All depends what the OP considers sporty.

Anyhow, it sounds like he's new to high end watches, why not suggest a Tag GC, or something in the 5-7k range before blowing your entire 10k load on a single piece.

You can pick up a few nice pieces for the 10 and rotate them. A grand carrera and a PAM, maybe, for example.

pinoyhero
10-25-2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Buy sporty I mean something that goes well with jeans and can take a beating so I'm a fan of rubber bands and ceramic boxes.

I'm still leaning very much towards the Oktopus but likely will hold off until I travel before buying so I can see and feel the piece. While LW seems to have a wicked online buying policy I'm just more partial to hitting up a shop.

Also on (and off the radar)

PAM104 - Still have my eye on this although having to replace the band and the steel box are a drawback. That and it kind of feels like a watch past its prime. Like the price point though.
Bell & Ross - Off the radar, although cheaper it looks like a rich man's Nixon.
J12 Marine - Can't get over the Miata feeling of a J12 and seems overpriced for what you get.
Hublot BB Black Magic - Love but more than I want to drop.
Omega Seamaster Plantet Ocean - Probably 3rd on the radar behind the Okto and PAM, just feels a bit common.

Still open to suggestions of course.