PDA

View Full Version : Olympic training at Golds Gym NE

Modelexis
10-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I want to see if anyone would be interested in starting an Olympic lift session at golds gym as a group.

I'd like to get a group of about 6 guys together.

If there is enough support I can ask golds for a trainer that can coach some of the Olympic lifts and provide support to teach the lifts.

The goal of this session would be to teach at a very beginner level the basics of Olympic lifting and the fundamentals of training in this area.

This would allow people to utilize the equipment at golds that they are fortunate to have at their gym and do it safely and in a way that will allow them to progress.

So just a feeler thread, see if anyone goes to this gym and would be interested in splitting a trainer and coming in as a group to learn these lifts.

It would be basically an hour or two hour session where we train as a group with the trainer and develop the fundamentals of the lifts.

So if you might be interested in a program like this just post up and say so, or pm me so that we can organize something.

Modelexis
10-10-2011, 05:03 PM
If you go to golds gym and are capable of teaching these lifts you can chime in as well, it doesn't need to be a golds trainer, it can be private.

KRyn
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I am in the midsts of helping to put together a group at Strive (aka the NE Soccer centre) with one of Calgary's best Oly lifters. The details should be sorted out in the next week or so. It could cost money or it could be completely free. Will update with more details when I have them.

lint
10-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Strive sounds like a much better location for this in the NE. Golds trainer teaching O lifts sounds scary

scboss
10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Do not get training from a trainer there on olympic lifts. I had alot of bad exp there with trainers before I went to university.

If you want help I can give you a hand but I work out of world health sunridge. We have a "real" platform and the proper bumper plates.

Strive is great to they have a really great facility.

Ive taken many courses on these lifts. Just make sure if your gonna pay a trainer they can teach you ALL the accessory lifts.

Modelexis
10-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by warcaster
Do not get training from a trainer there on olympic lifts. I had alot of bad exp there with trainers before I went to university.

If you want help I can give you a hand but I work out of world health sunridge. We have a "real" platform and the proper bumper plates.

Strive is great to they have a really great facility.

Ive taken many courses on these lifts. Just make sure if your gonna pay a trainer they can teach you ALL the accessory lifts.

Golds just renovated an area for this, 6 stations all with hard wood center and bumpers on the side, all with bumper plates and brand new olympic bars.

I might take you up on that offer to get some help with training, I can make a trip down to world some day when you're training to get some tips.

lint
10-11-2011, 09:46 AM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/328573/weight-lifting-courses-in-calgary/

scboss
10-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

Golds just renovated an area for this, 6 stations all with hard wood center and bumpers on the side, all with bumper plates and brand new olympic bars.

I might take you up on that offer to get some help with training, I can make a trip down to world some day when you're training to get some tips.

Yeah those platforms are garbage. There incramints are weird to 25,35,45. No 10's so it's hard to teach noobs. I use to have a golds pass but cancelled it because the place is run like a joke.

Strive (Calgary soccer center) is a great place to learn these lifts to. If you have the money I would recommend peak power over anything.

Modelexis
10-12-2011, 03:16 PM

Yeah those platforms are garbage. There incramints are weird to 25,35,45. No 10's so it's hard to teach noobs. I use to have a golds pass but cancelled it because the place is run like a joke.

Strive (Calgary soccer center) is a great place to learn these lifts to. If you have the money I would recommend peak power over anything.

They have 10 25 35 45

lint
10-12-2011, 03:32 PM
posted this in another thread. Can't go wrong with tips from Kono
CNy0Odapgds

scboss
10-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Modelexis

They have 10 25 35 45

They have 10 pound plates that are the same size as the 45's? I havnt been there in a month or so bout time. I remember watching a trainer showing someone how to do snatch with 25's on each side and him bailing hard.

Some easy stuff to work on for clean and jerk
- Front Squat
- Deadlifts
- Clean Pulls (high and low)
- Standing overhead press
Snatch
- Wide grip deadlift
- Overhead Squat
- Wide grip high pulls

Modelexis
10-12-2011, 10:46 PM

They have 10 pound plates that are the same size as the 45's? I havnt been there in a month or so bout time. I remember watching a trainer showing someone how to do snatch with 25's on each side and him bailing hard.

Some easy stuff to work on for clean and jerk
- Front Squat
- Deadlifts
- Clean Pulls (high and low)
- Standing overhead press
Snatch
- Wide grip deadlift
- Overhead Squat
- Wide grip high pulls

thanks for the info, yeah, they have 10's. They're black and skinny but they are the same diameter as the rest of them and are good for doing light weight reps.