PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes CL500

shakalaka
10-10-2011, 08:21 PM
What do you guys think of these? Especially the year 2003. Looking for some input from past owners or people that have some sort of experience with them. Or off course even those who know about them in general.

Thanks

xnvy
10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
I have not driven but I've been a passenger and I can say that the ride quality is very nice. Other than that I found this, don't know if you've seen it yet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4aiqayZNII

shakalaka
10-10-2011, 10:33 PM
A lots of neat features I see. Which also means more things that can go wrong as well.

Neil4Speed
10-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Their main weak point is the ABS suspension, which when working is amazing, but when problems occur, your looking a big bucks to fix. From what I have read, its not a matter of if, but rather 'when'. (Google this out and you will find lots of details). Some in early models had issues with rust, I believe this isn't a problem for 03+ models.

They are great to drive, beautiful statement cars, exceptionally comfortable, and good room for 4 people with luggage.

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 08:53 AM
Spring for the 55AMG.

Neil4Speed
10-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
Spring for the 55AMG.

After driving a 55 and a 600, I would go for a 600 with the sport package. The TT is actually a more reliable drive train than the 55, and feels much faster. If modding is your thing, 600TT can be brought to staggering amounts of power with pretty simple upgrades.

However, without getting too ahead of ourselves, the 500 still makes a great driver with more than ample power for your average driver.

I think these CL's will age very nicely, better than the W140 CL's (which I also love).

I am a bit curious why you are looking at one given your current 'stable'. Whats your purpose for the car?

shakalaka
10-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Well the whole reliability issue is kind of straying me away from them at the moment. And I looked online their resale value isn't the best. I am just debating if I should trade fir one with the Z, since it's a car that I don't particularly care about TOO much. It's like a side 'fun' car kind of thing. I've grown quite bored of the Z that I find myself driving other cars even on really nice days. So I am thinking about this one as perhaps a little sporty/luxury replacement. But I am pretty much all over the place with it cause I've considered newer Camaro's, 3 Series and what not.

Neil4Speed
10-11-2011, 10:00 AM
A side fun car replacement, I don't know if its the right car for you. The car isn't nimble, or particularily fast (500). That being said, I would take it over a Camaro/3 Series (other than the m3)/etc - but I like large luxury coupes allot.