PDA

View Full Version : Installing a sunroof - Any shops in Calgary?

LUDELVR
10-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Just seeing if anyone has or knows about shops that can install a sunroof into a vehicle that didn't come with one equipped from the factory. Prices? What's involved? Reviews?

Cheers.

projekz
10-11-2011, 09:42 AM
I would check with Speedy Glass. I know they used to do it. As far as quality goes it's hard to get a decent aftermarket sunroof that doesn't leak. Make sure you get a good warranty with it.

max_boost
10-11-2011, 11:01 AM
I think sexual_banana got one on his Civic hatch about a decade ago. Cost was around $300 back then.

I don't know but is it really safe to do?!:dunno:

heavyD
10-11-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't know what you drive but don't do it to a nice car.

clem24
10-11-2011, 02:59 PM
LOL people still do this??

SportEL
10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
CE Design and Upholstery

I was curious at one point, and asked. It is a one day job, and $1500 if I recall correctly. They do installs for dealerships, and charge the same to retail customers.

sputnik
10-12-2011, 06:15 AM
Probably better off just buying a car with a factory sunroof.

I have never seen an after market installation that actually looked good and didn't leak.

LUDELVR
10-12-2011, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by SportEL
CE Design and Upholstery

I was curious at one point, and asked. It is a one day job, and $1500 if I recall correctly. They do installs for dealerships, and charge the same to retail customers.

I've heard of these guys too and they are associated with a company called webasto an they are HUGE in the states and sell really great products.

Originally posted by sputnik
Probably better off just buying a car with a factory sunroof.

I have never seen an after market installation that actually looked good and didn't leak.

If the sunroof is installed well, like anything, it should function well and have no problems and with regards to the vehicle and its structural integrity, I'm wondering, is there any extra support between two models/trims if one as built with a sunroof and the other was not and it was offered as an option or are they pretty much the same?

max_boost
10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm surprised you won't attempt this install yourself. :D :thumbsup: They come with instructions and cutting into cars is something you have done before. haha

2.2vtec
10-12-2011, 09:25 AM
the 350z never came with a sunroof and i have heard of people (primarly in the states) that get the sunroof installed after market.

adidas
10-12-2011, 12:40 PM
These guys got a shop in the south, just look them up in the phone book, heard they do great work. Here is an example.

G-_QC59cqKg

heavyD
10-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by LUDELVR

If the sunroof is installed well, like anything, it should function well and have no problems and with regards to the vehicle and its structural integrity,

Not necessarily. If a model of car never had a sunroof option intended there's no guarantee that a structural integrity won't be compromised. How much of a risk though is debateable. I haven't seen an aftermarket sunroof in almost a decade but I remember them being popular in the mid 80's to early 90's and most of them leaked.

Kloubek
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
I personally would not bother. My mother had two sunroofs installed in two different cars from two different companies. Both leaked and both squeaked over time.

The structural integrity issue is a good point to mention - as cars without sunroofs may not be made to handle the extra stress properly.