PDA

View Full Version : Fast lane enforcement

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
This should be standard across the country. Nicely done!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJjtQKND4W8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

?????
10-11-2011, 05:24 PM
:repost:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=331409

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 05:41 PM
Traffic Cop - as a civil servant, would you do the same?

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 05:42 PM
Yup

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 05:44 PM
Without pulling him over to give a lecture?

max_boost
10-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Fast lane enforcement? In this province where ticket revenue is such a huge part of the budget? Hmmm....I am skeptical.

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:01 PM
To be honest guys, i enforce it to a point. The example on the video was clever, but I gurantee the "miss daisy" didnt have a clue what they had done wrong. I honestly beleive the city and Province really need an ad campaign followed by strict enforcement. That would stop a lot of the lane hoping, should reduce road rage, and make roads such as Deerfoot run that much smoother. In turn, we should see a reduction in collisions.

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 06:04 PM
This is an old post. Surprised it took so long to get around the civil servant community.

pf0sh0
10-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Traffic_Cop
To be honest guys, i enforce it to a point. The example on the video was clever, but I gurantee the "miss daisy" didnt have a clue what they had done wrong. I honestly beleive the city and Province really need an ad campaign followed by strict enforcement. That would stop a lot of the lane hoping, should reduce road rage, and make roads such as Deerfoot run that much smoother. In turn, we should see a reduction in collisions.

:thumbsup:

AllGoNoShow
10-11-2011, 06:10 PM

A+, 100% agree with you on this one. No left lane loosey's, will show a reduction in lane hoping, pissed off lane hopping, pissed off tailgaters, smoother flow on the faster lane which will reduce congestion and the end result is a reduction in collisions! Amazing!

Where do we sign up with you on this one?

btimbit
10-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

A+, 100% agree with you on this one. No left lane loosey's, will show a reduction in lane hoping, pissed off lane hopping, pissed off tailgaters, smoother flow on the faster lane which will reduce congestion and the end result is a reduction in collisions! Amazing!

Don't see it happening, but I support. Where do I sign?

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
This is an old post. Surprised it took so long to get around the civil servant community.

What can I say?, you only need a grade 12 education to be a Police Officer. Takes us a while to figure out the whole internet thingy.

lasimmon
10-11-2011, 06:17 PM
I don't get it? You want slower people in the right lane so people like those in this thread can be dangerous and speed in the fast lane?

What causes more accidents? Excess speed or too little speed?

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by AllGoNoShow

I wish!! Im as frustrated as you guys, and I have made several suggestions for this, as well as restricting heavy commercial vehicles such ad semi-tractor units to only use lanes 2 & 3 (middle and slow). This works very well in countries such as the UK. Its even worse if you drive a marked Police Vehicle. No one overtakes you (for the most part), people in front of you wont move over, if you speed people complain, and if you drive slower than the limit, people complain you are holding up traffic. You just cant win.

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by lasimmon
I don't get it? You want slower people in the right lane so people like those in this thread can be dangerous and speed in the fast lane?

Its not an issue on the autobahn

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM

What can I say?, you only need a grade 12 education to be a Police Officer. Takes us a while to figure out the whole internet thingy.

Don't say that. You all just need to spend less time handing out tickets.

lasimmon
10-11-2011, 06:23 PM

Its not an issue on the autobahn

:facepalm: You think the autobahn would work in Alberta?

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:24 PM

Don't say that. You all just need to spend less time handing out tickets.

Unfortuately, education through enforcement is effective

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:26 PM

In calgary, no. But the M25 works in London. And given proper infrastructure and educatio on longer roads outside the city why not?.

Abeo
10-11-2011, 06:29 PM

I take it you've never driven where left lane passing is enforced. It works, trust us.

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

I take it you've never driven where left lane passing is enforced. It works, trust us.

Absoloutely!!!!

RickDaTuner
10-11-2011, 06:32 PM
make it mandatory to have license retesting done, in order to include left lane rules.

This will make the province money, and improve the quality of road travel.

Wow if that could be done, then it would be a great opportunity to instruct and inform drivers of so many other things, not mention the fact that it would allow the "weeding out" of the poor drivers who lack basic driving skills as well.

Then the Province can introduce 2 year mandatory driver training, prior to getting a license, get rid of this stupid graduated driver bullshit, and put some real drivers on the road.

Seriously, why are we so behind in driver education? Even all the third world countries I have been to, where getting a license is not a requirement-showcases far better driver ability and respect than our so called "modern" society.

lasimmon
10-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Although you may be correct, most of the complaints you see on here are essentially about people in the left lane going slightly faster then the speed limit. And the people want them to move over so they can excessivly speed. You people see no problem with this?

Mind you there are those who do drive really slow in the left lane which I admit, sucks.

HuMz
10-11-2011, 06:37 PM

There's a difference between maintaining the speed of traffic and excessive speeding. When people try to play hero and go exactly the speed limit or under it just creates more problems and dangerous driving, not too mention restricting the flow of traffic.

If there are more cops enforcing slow drivers in the fast lane, they will be more likely to catch excessive speeders.

RickDaTuner
10-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Man, I want to slap every left lane warrior I encounter.

2007RS4
10-11-2011, 06:44 PM

Unfortuately, education through enforcement is effective

Keep telling yourself that.

Abeo
10-11-2011, 06:46 PM
What I'd like to see:

-Passing on the right against the law
and, at the same time,
-left lane passing enforced

Its been shown that passing on the right is much more dangerous than passing on the left (for LHD cars on LHD roads), and by not enforcing passing on the left its almost encouraging passing on the right.

Also, lasimmon, if you let the speeders by, they'll be more likely to be caught. It works out pretty good for everyone: big fish gets caught, everyone else gets to drive without being impeded.

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 07:29 PM

And judging from your posts you are a Police hater, so no matter what I say, you are going to rag on.

btimbit
10-11-2011, 07:51 PM

It does indeed work, I know not to speed. Why? I can't friggin' afford it

J-hop
10-11-2011, 08:35 PM

In calgary, no. But the M25 works in London. And given proper infrastructure and educatio on longer roads outside the city why not?.

With all respect I really can't stand road comparisons like this. With the climate we have it would be impossible to maintain a road to the same quality as the M25 etc. I don't know what people don't understand about that. "well they just have to use better materials" is always the common response, well one who is going to pay for it, 2 since when is every one on beyond a civil engineer with knowledge of these "better" materials. It just isn't feasible in Alberta.

As much as I agree slower traffic should stay out of the left lane it is up to the toolbags doing 120 down deerfoot to look out for those of us doing the speed limit not the other way around.

Kennyredline
10-11-2011, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
make it mandatory to have license retesting done, in order to include left lane rules.

This will make the province money, and improve the quality of road travel.

Wow if that could be done, then it would be a great opportunity to instruct and inform drivers of so many other things, not mention the fact that it would allow the "weeding out" of the poor drivers who lack basic driving skills as well.

Then the Province can introduce 2 year mandatory driver training, prior to getting a license, get rid of this stupid graduated driver bullshit, and put some real drivers on the road.

Seriously, why are we so behind in driver education? Even all the third world countries I have been to, where getting a license is not a requirement-showcases far better driver ability and respect than our so called "modern" society.

:clap:

CMW403
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM

Obviously not if everyone drove pussy ass corollas like you, corollaboy.

Abeo
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by J-hop

With all respect I really can't stand road comparisons like this. With the climate we have it would be impossible to maintain a road to the same quality as the M25 etc. I don't know what people don't understand about that. "well they just have to use better materials" is always the common response, well one who is going to pay for it, 2 since when is every one on beyond a civil engineer with knowledge of these "better" materials. It just isn't feasible in Alberta.

Eastern Ontario has a similar climate to Calgary (and region) but have worse frost heaves and more variable moisture that messes with the roads. They just pave and repair roads more often, and they end up with much better roads overall. On the other side of the ont/que border (with the same climate), Quebec take the Alberta approach, and the roads are messed up as a result.

Originally posted by J-hop

As much as I agree slower traffic should stay out of the left lane it is up to the toolbags doing 120 down deerfoot to look out for those of us doing the speed limit not the other way around.

Good point, but its everyone's responsibility to keep an eye out for approaching traffic and to judge other vehicle's speeds. Its also everyone's responsibility to judge whether their own driving is having an impact on those around them (whether they are tying up traffic or cutting off people while speeding).

Xtrema
10-11-2011, 10:27 PM

It's not speed. It's the differential in speed.

I love more enforcement but it is tougher to prosecute. Driver here don't pay enough attention to their surroundings.

Xtrema
10-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Although you may be correct, most of the complaints you see on here are essentially about people in the left lane going slightly faster then the speed limit. And the people want them to move over so they can excessivly speed. You people see no problem with this?

Mind you there are those who do drive really slow in the left lane which I admit, sucks.

If you want to enforce the speed limit, go join Traffic Cop.

If you are slower, pull to the right.

Unknown303
10-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

If you want to enforce the speed limit, go join Traffic Cop.

If you are slower, pull to the right.

Those signs do say maximum on them do they not?

Traffic_Cop
10-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Nope, "slower traffic keep right"

Xtrema
10-11-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Unknown303

Those signs do say maximum on them do they not?

You are also supposed to be on the right except when passing. 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.

Of course, if someone is riding your ass and you have nowhere to go, feel to flip him the bird. Legally and by courtesy, you shoul always stay on the right.

Unknown303
10-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

You are also supposed to be on the right except when passing. 2 wrongs doesn't make a right.

Of course, if someone is riding your ass and you have nowhere to go, feel to flip him the bird. Legally and by courtesy, you shoul always stay on the right.

True I see what you're saying.

5t3v3
10-11-2011, 11:26 PM

Think of it this way. If someone wants to speed excessively, THEY WILL. Trying to box them in or slow them down by blocking them will only aggravate them and drive even more dangerously out of road rage.

Also, just because the road is clear, not everyone is a moron and drive recklessly. Strict laws and traffic tickets aren't what stops most people from driving sensibly. A lot of people can be responsible drivers without being treated like children with rules.

Like someone mentioned it's the differential of speed is where the danger is.
For example, on a 50kph two lane road, it's perfectly legal to drive the speed limit past the lane that's has come to standing still.
But is it safe? Fuck no. You're traveling 50kph faster than the cars next to you and it would only take one car to pull out to cause an accident.

Edit: People trying to merge onto Deerfoot at 80kph comes into mind. :banghead:

Sugarphreak
10-12-2011, 08:36 AM

schocker
10-12-2011, 08:42 AM
Stoney trail every day is a good example of this. Going from symons valley to crowchild, there are three lanes for the most part. 97 in the left lane, 95 in the middle lane, me passing on the right ffs.

CMW403
10-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
You can really see the difference in areas where provinces enforced this and display signage, traffic moves so much smoother and a lot less drama between drivers occurs.

You are NOT a cop... it is not your job to enforce the speed limit by intentionally driving slow or impeding faster cars in the left lane.

You think it's good in other provinces?

Wait until you drive in Europe. NO ONE stays in the left lane EVER. I was driving all over Europe for a month, Germany, France, Italy, Switzerland, Belgium and I wasn't frustrated ONCE. I can probably count 5 times of complete frustration behind someone completely lacking driving skills just on my way to school this morning. If anything, the Europeans were frustrated with me because I had a little trouble with their 4 lane 6 exit roundabouts.

max_boost
10-12-2011, 11:17 AM
It's because the drivers education here is a complete joke.

Those cars that display "new driver" on the back of the window, going 15kms under the limit, how the fuck did they get their license. Seriously!!:nut: :dunno: :confused:

Nakadah
10-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Those cars that display "new driver" on the back of the window, going 15kms under the limit, how the fuck did they get their license. Seriously!!:nut: :dunno: :confused:

Hahaha! And the so called drivers see nothing in the back mirror because of those signs "New Driver"... Not that they ever look at the mirrors though :rofl:

To get a driver's licence in Canada is a joke! You gotta pretend to be robot for 30 min. Haha!

Laoz
10-12-2011, 01:01 PM
Wheres that gif. if Micheal Jackson eating popcorn....

schocker
10-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

Lol, was driving behind a C350 with a big student driver sign taped on the outisde of the window which is :facepalm: No. 1
They were doing 10-20 under for the entire time I had to stay behind them and left turns, don't get me started. Car is a block away, wait and let them pass. :facepalm:

sexualbanana
10-12-2011, 01:22 PM
I used to think signs that had a stated minimum speed would be a good idea because, in my mind, if you're only comfortable driving 85-90kmh then you should keep your ass of Deerfoot. But after my road trip in the US, I realized that the states that do that put a very wide range of allowable speeds. I think one range was something like 40mph - 65mph. So that nixed my opinion.

But an initiative to keep slower traffic to the right would/should accomplish the same ideal. Which I agree with. I don't speed much, but I still find times when I'm passing much slower moving vehicles, in which case I pass and get out of the left lane when I can.

clem24
10-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Its even worse if you drive a marked Police Vehicle. No one overtakes you (for the most part)

LOL yeah I keep seeing this and must think how frustrated cops must be.. If the cop is doing under the speed limit, I will not hesitate to pass. I just have to be absolutely sure of the speed limit LOL.

Originally posted by Nakadah
Hahaha! And the so called drivers see nothing in the back mirror because of those signs "New Driver"... Not that they ever look at the mirrors though :rofl:

This is so f'ing hilarious cause I notice the EXACT SAME THING. They have this HUGE "NEW DRIVER" sign that takes up half their rear window and/or blocks their third brake light. Total failure. One other sign I always ignore.. Baby on Board, especially when said car is going over the limit or darting in and out of traffic hahaha.

gretz
10-12-2011, 03:41 PM
I really enjoy getting flipped off by people that are going 15 under the limit lol... I find the calf rope bridge going south is always like this.