PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a Subaru: Beatrix.

freshprince1
10-12-2011, 09:52 AM
I've been here for 5-6 years, and just started looking through the Garage section. Very cool threads by the way. Lots of ideas and cool projects going on.

So ever since I was a newly graduated 18 year old, and first laid eyes on the 2.5 RS, I've wanted a Subaru. Because of the decisios I made in life, I haven't been able to afford one till now. I do not like debt, I lived abroad in the jungle for 2 years, came back and went to school, got married, had 2 kids. Life has been a great adventure and I've loved every minute of it. but until now, I just couldn't swing the car I've really wanted.

I recently bought a 2005 Legacy GT and am able to have my company pay for it! (yay, car allowance!) It came with some really nice modifications (courtesy of the previous owner, who is a Beyonder):

- Borla Hush Exhaust
- Cobb Up Pipe
- STi Down Pipe
- Kartboy Short Shifter setup
- JDM Rear Sway Bar
- Open ECU Tune
- Jazzy mod stereo

I love the car - despite having now to replace the clutch and flywheel less than a month after buying it. So I'm looking forward to getting a nice, durable Stage 1 and lightened flywheel setup. I'm not a gearhead myself, nor do I have the space to get out the tools and learn. So for now, I'll lean on the boys at Tunerworks to source the parts and do the install work.

Looking forward to learn more about the car and progress with smart modifications that will boost the performance and still make for a comfortable and reliable daily.

http://i.imgur.com/ElRnE.jpg
photo courtesy of previous owner

jsn
10-12-2011, 12:31 PM
Nice car and welcome to the subaru club:). I've always liked this body style best for the legacys. If you haven't already, you should join WSC. Lots of good information and friendly members on that site.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Nice! Welcome the Subaru and Legacy GT club.

cherpintow
10-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Nice ride, congrats!! The best season for subaru's is ride around the corner.

n1zm0
10-12-2011, 02:38 PM
i still want one of these, so hard to find lower mileage examples tho

freshprince1
10-12-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i still want one of these, so hard to find lower mileage examples tho

Yah, I paid a bit of a premium, but it only had 77K kms and is in great shape (except for the clutch:banghead: ).

loving it so far.

jdmXSI
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Congrats! i have a couple friends who replaced thier clutchs on thier subies and it took near 12-15hrs thier first time... You made the right move on hiring out for the job!

RickDaTuner
10-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
Congrats! i have a couple friends who replaced thier clutchs on thier subies and it took near 12-15hrs thier first time... You made the right move on hiring out for the job!

12-15 hrs.. OUCH!!!

kinda hard to hear considering they can be done in 3-4 hours.

Congrats on the Legacy! Subaru's are fun.
Time to get all the JDM Legacy STi parts on that beast

BokCh0y
10-12-2011, 11:25 PM
Pimp :bigpimp: :thumbsup:

more pics please.

freshprince1
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
ACT HDSS Stage 1 Clutch and XACT Streetlite (600480) lightened flywheel has been ordered!

Letting Tunerworks do the heavy lifting here. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to Civic_Stylez for getting things organized.

ACT Link (http://www2.advancedclutch.com/1430733/0/0/0/2005_SUBARU_LEGACY_H4_2.5L_T_FI_(EJ255).html)

freshprince1
11-07-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
ACT HDSS Stage 1 Clutch and XACT Streetlite (600480) lightened flywheel has been ordered!

Letting Tunerworks do the heavy lifting here. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks to Civic_Stylez for getting things organized.

ACT Link (http://www2.advancedclutch.com/1430733/0/0/0/2005_SUBARU_LEGACY_H4_2.5L_T_FI_(EJ255).html)

It's going in today! Can't wait to get it back.

Found out that the previous clutch didn't actually get worn out, but that the oil cable for the slave cylinder was leaking all over it. So the clutch was getting nicely lubed from the cracked cable and contaminated the whole setup. Sucks that a $35 part ruined the clutch...but I guess it gave me an excuse to throw in the higher end parts.