PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a hatchbacks

Maybelater
10-12-2011, 09:32 PM
I am thinking of buying a new car, something simple.

Can you guys give some feedback on moden some hatchbacks. I've been looking at mostly at Japanese cars: Honda Fit, Suzuki SX4 and Nissan Versa.

What are some other cars? Opinions on the ones I listed already?

Thanks

DeeK
10-12-2011, 09:42 PM
What is a "modem some hatchbacks"?

And you should check out the internet. specifically google, I hear it has all the info you could EVER need.

Cos
10-12-2011, 09:48 PM
New focus, search the forums lost of post already about it.

Nakadah
10-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Ford Fiesta;)

Onassis
10-12-2011, 11:10 PM
Price range ?

Wait for the focus ST or grab a GTi.

dirtsniffer
10-12-2011, 11:20 PM
i would assume he meant cheap based on examples.

my suggestions.
honda fit. kia forte5 or a ford fiesta

Weapon_R
10-13-2011, 12:16 AM
versa hatch, especially used, are great bargains

nismodrifter
10-13-2011, 12:55 AM
Had Versa hatch as a rental, damn thing stored more shit than my Jetta does.

Would buy!!

Cooked Rice
10-13-2011, 02:04 AM
I know you said Japanese, but honestly the new European based Ford Fiesta is a great car.

Maybelater
10-13-2011, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by DeeK
What is a "modem some hatchbacks"?

And you should check out the internet. specifically google, I hear it has all the info you could EVER need.

Sorry, I've been pulling 12 hour work days all week and I was pretty tired when I made this post.

Yes, cheaper is better. Japanese, American, European it doesn't matter.

The Fiesta looks pretty cool.

89s1
10-13-2011, 06:01 AM
I understand they aren't japanese either, but the 2012 hyundai elantra touring is a good option too. Big hatch out back.

ga16i
10-13-2011, 07:33 AM
I love my Nissan Versa. I've taken 2 adult mountain bikes home from Canadian Tire without taking the wheels off. Very cramped, but I did it! Complete ridiculous amount of storage. The 6 speed is pretty fun, pretty short gears, probably in 3rd by the time you exit a left turn. If you check out the FR weight distribution it's a surprising 53%!!

The hatch that currently catches my eye is the Chevy Sonic.
http://www.chevrolet.com/sonic-hatchback-car/features-specs/

Looks like the 1LT and 1LZ is available in their 1.4L turbo 6 speed configuration. That just screams easy power boltons.

davesparky6
10-13-2011, 07:53 AM
Not Jap, but the Hyundai Veloster is pretty cool.
Of the ones already listed it would be a tough pick between the fit (love the seats setup) and the Fiesta (looks better IMO)
:dunno:

Tomaz
10-13-2011, 09:18 AM
That new Chev Sonic seems pretty cool.

Mazda 3 makes a hatch/wagaon

EDIT: The Volvo C30 is actually a pretty cool little hatch. It's too bad the sparkling faggot from Twilight drove one. Kinda killed it for me.

Guillermo
10-13-2011, 09:21 AM
i had a nissan versa as a rental and hated it. SUPER cheap quality, uncomfortable foam seats, and absolutely zero power. ugly as fuck, too.

if you're looking for cheap, i think your money would be better spent on a Hyundai accent hatch or hyundai elantra touring. unfortunately, they're both pretty boring/fat-chick-like, but hey what can you expect for coffee money?

if you've got a bit more cash to spend, you might want to consider a previous generation Mazda3.

EDIT: and personally, I would avoid any product that says "Honda" on it. overpriced and less reliable than competitors in recent years.

J-hop
10-13-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
I love my Nissan Versa. I've taken 2 adult mountain bikes home from Canadian Tire without taking the wheels off. Very cramped, but I did it! Complete ridiculous amount of storage. The 6 speed is pretty fun, pretty short gears, probably in 3rd by the time you exit a left turn. If you check out the FR weight distribution it's a surprising 53%!!

I completely agree with this, I worked at a rental co for a while, thought I would hate the versa, ended up loving it. All around a very comfortable vehicle, good driving position, decent visibility and handled surprisingly well. I personally didn't find that the interior felt cheap but rather very sparse and it actually held up nicely to customer abuse (super easy to clean as well).

Sorry I can't comment on the fit OP but as far as the sx4 goes I don't like it. We had a few 2010s and they were garbage IMO.

90_Shelby
10-13-2011, 08:46 PM
Volvo C30......

Who woulda thunk a Volvo could look good.

http://www.kevve.be/portfolio/kevinv/DSC05519.jpg

npham
10-13-2011, 09:16 PM
Everything but the hatch looks great on the C30 imo.

Sugarphreak
10-13-2011, 09:39 PM

wes_v
10-13-2011, 10:27 PM
mazda 3 sport!

Maybelater
10-13-2011, 10:43 PM
I would love a C30 but the price is much to high.

J-hop
10-13-2011, 10:49 PM
Yea the c30s are amazing. I got to drive the R for a day and even being a conservative driver I wanted to keep my foot planted the whole time.

crash001
10-13-2011, 11:07 PM
What about a Matrix?

I have had 2 now and I can fit as much in the back with the seats folded down then we could in our Colorado with the tonneau cover.

Used 2009 is about $16 - $18 G right now.

90_Shelby
10-14-2011, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by Maybelater
I would love a C30 but the price is much to high.

Buy used, that's what I did. They're a fun car to drive.

Sugarphreak
10-14-2011, 07:37 AM

roll_over
10-14-2011, 04:09 PM
+1 for the fit, back in 08 it was the best in my opinion the nissan was loose feeling the toyota came in a coupe but all the gauges in the middle turned me off. I can fit two bmx's and two people no problem. Things may have changed since then I liked the sx4 but they only had the AWD on the hatch but thats what you're looking for.

What about a impreza?

speedog
10-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
That new Chev Sonic seems pretty cool.

Mazda 3 makes a hatch/wagaon

EDIT: The Volvo C30 is actually a pretty cool little hatch. It's too bad the sparkling faggot from Twilight drove one. Kinda killed it for me. Will be picking up a Sonic LT hatch on Monday - replacing my HHR. HHR was a good solid vehicle for the 4 years I had it - only issue in 4 years (100,000 km) besides regular maintenance was a front wheel bearing that had to be replaced. Picked the Sonic because the I (and the family) are Chev ppl and because I wanted a hatch in a great color (orange again) that got better fuel mileage than my HHR. Will report more on the Sonic after I've driven it for a bit, but the whole package just seemed a good fit for what I needed as a daily commuter that's going to haul around some business stuff at times - not as much cargo room as the HHR, but still pretty decent for a small hatch.

Guillermo
10-15-2011, 01:22 PM
i can't beleive so many beyonders are recommending fat woman/old person hatches like Fits, Matrixes, and Sonics! :rofl: those are just about the opposite of the hot hatch category, y'all need to stop acting like fat bitches and geriatrics and recommend some sporty options! :rofl:

kvg
10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
I drove a Fit before I got my Versa and found it alot smaller and had no back seat. I love my Versa for what it is, but if you get full load like mine its close to 23-24k. I've had no problems, except a FPR had to be replaced under warranty(common problem for my year). I have no input on the sx4:dunno:

speedog
10-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo
i can't beleive so many beyonders are recommending fat woman/old person hatches like Fits, Matrixes, and Sonics! :rofl: those are just about the opposite of the hot hatch category, y'all need to stop acting like fat bitches and geriatrics and recommend some sporty options! :rofl: Didn't recommend anything, but am into my sixth decade on this big old ball of dirt and under your rules, that'll qualify me for the Sonic that I'm getting. Kewl.

Cos
10-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Guillermo

The Matrix XRS is a 200hp AWD car. Is actually really fun to drive. Lots of guys do up their Fits to auto-x.

http://www.sccahawaii.org/pics2007/solo-021608-jon/dsc_0891.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1457/4181/3642090004_large.jpg

Guillermo
10-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Cos

The Matrix XRS is a 200hp AWD car. Is actually really fun to drive. Lots of guys do up their Fits to auto-x.

http://www.sccahawaii.org/pics2007/solo-021608-jon/dsc_0891.jpg

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/1457/4181/3642090004_large.jpg

i'm sorry, but those cars are just silly :nut:

i expect a bunch of clowns to start climbing out or something :rofl: look at the twelve inch wheels on the top one. :rofl:

89s1
10-16-2011, 02:46 AM
You do realize that small wheels are lighter and help the overall performance of the car, right?

In this day and age, power to weight, suspension geometry, gear ratio and tire compounds all come into effect...

You need to realize and that autocross in broken down into several categories and that it is 95% driver skill and course familiarity that will bode you the best times.

The biggest mistake many people racing make is to make the car faster than the driver before the driver ever has a chance to find the limits of their car. Something tells me you are, or would be slow on a racetrack.

cancer man
10-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Get the Audi A3 because nobody deserves to go thru life without being fucked.

Masked Bandit
10-16-2011, 08:57 AM
I've personally never been in the market for a small hatchback but if I was I've always thought I would have a close look at a Matrix XRS (180 hp) or a Caliber SRT4 (280 hp I think). If you're going to drive a kid / girl car it might as well be as fun as possible.

Guillermo
10-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by 89s1
You do realize that small wheels are lighter and help the overall performance of the car, right?

In this day and age, power to weight, suspension geometry, gear ratio and tire compounds all come into effect...

You need to realize and that autocross in broken down into several categories and that it is 95% driver skill and course familiarity that will bode you the best times.

The biggest mistake many people racing make is to make the car faster than the driver before the driver ever has a chance to find the limits of their car. Something tells me you are, or would be slow on a racetrack.

LOL wo gives a fuck, it still looks silly as hell. like a minivan for midgets living below the poverty line. :rofl:

speedog
10-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Picked up a Chevrolet Sonic LT hatch today with the 1.8 liter 6 speed automatic. Quieter than I expected, ride is better than I would've expected from such a small car, seats are very supportive, acceleration is quite adequete for in the city but is lacking a bit on the highway - but since 95% of this car's travels will be city, that isn't a concern. Totally different feel than the HHR I traded and won't be able to haul around 8 foot 2x4's and such like I did with the HHR.

Overall, am quite pleased with the Sonic hatch - amazing headroom even with a sun roof, I'm 6 feet tall and have 5 inches of head room. Back seat headroom and leg room is quite good also, better than the HHR. Can't really report on fuel mileage yet, but expect to see 40 city (possibly higher) and probably close to 50 highway - suspect fuel mileage will improve as a few miles get put on the car.

heavyD
10-18-2011, 08:44 AM
The Nissan Versa is made in Mexico and has been Nissan's most unreliable car. It's the lowest ranked car in the category for reliability. Honda Fit is the class leader IMO but the Fiesta/Mazda 2 (both cars use the same platform) are pretty decent as well.

Tomaz
10-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Picked up a Chevrolet Sonic LT hatch today with the 1.8 liter 6 speed automatic. Quieter than I expected, ride is better than I would've expected from such a small car, seats are very supportive, acceleration is quite adequete for in the city but is lacking a bit on the highway - but since 95% of this car's travels will be city, that isn't a concern. Totally different feel than the HHR I traded and won't be able to haul around 8 foot 2x4's and such like I did with the HHR.

Overall, am quite pleased with the Sonic hatch - amazing headroom even with a sun roof, I'm 6 feet tall and have 5 inches of head room. Back seat headroom and leg room is quite good also, better than the HHR. Can't really report on fuel mileage yet, but expect to see 40 city (possibly higher) and probably close to 50 highway - suspect fuel mileage will improve as a few miles get put on the car.

Is that the turbo model? Is the dash as cool as Forza shows? :D

Sugarphreak
10-18-2011, 09:21 AM

speedog
10-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz
Is that the turbo model? Is the dash as cool as Forza shows? :D Turbo model (LTZ) won't be out until next spring in Canada - I picked up the normally aspirated 1.8 liter.

As for the dash, the disigtal display is kind of neat - takes some getting used to after looking at analog displays over the years. Dash looks just like below...
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2012_chevrolet_sonic_hatc_images_008.jpg

Stealth22
10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Impreza WRX 5-door? :dunno:

Or hell, even the 2.5i with the sport trim if you want simple.

BigMass
10-19-2011, 06:11 PM
how about the Scion IQ?
http://autocarmanual.com/automotive/2011-five-axis-scion-iq-show-car-front-angle-view-photo.jpg

Twenty
10-19-2011, 06:27 PM
'12 Focus hatch. I'd say SE, good price with wide range of colours and a manual transmission is available.

heavyD
10-20-2011, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by speedog
Turbo model (LTZ) won't be out until next spring in Canada - I picked up the normally aspirated 1.8 liter.

As for the dash, the disigtal display is kind of neat - takes some getting used to after looking at analog displays over the years. Dash looks just like below...
http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/2012_chevrolet_sonic_hatc_images_008.jpg

Finished 2nd place to the Honda Fit in the latest C&D issue which just happens to compare all these cars. I suggest the OP pick up this issue. BTW last place was the Nissan Versa receiving one of the worst reviews I've ever seen; "Lows: You want us to start alphabetically?" This is why you never listen to the fanboys as you willl always have the Nissan and Subaru fanboys recommending very mediocre cars when there are much better options.

Link:
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparisons/11q3/2012_chevy_sonic_ltz_turbo_vs._2011_honda_fit_sport_2012_hyundai_accent_se_2012_kia_rio5_sx_2012_nissan_versa_sl_2012_toyota_yaris_se-comparison_tests

ercchry
10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Twenty
'12 Focus hatch. I'd say SE, good price with wide range of colours and a manual transmission is available.

what a garbage car... i currently have one as a loaner when the mustang is in the shop... i cant believe these sell when a mustang starts at $22k (with $2k in incentives) :nut:

its the auto version and...
-it bogs from a start
-it pulls when braking
-gearing sucks for the highway
-sounds like its about to fall apart on gravel
-comes with power locks, mirrors, auto head light, etc yet no aux audio input (has a button for it, but no physical port)
-rides rougher over our bumpy ass roads than the mustang with lowering springs in it, yet still retains terrible body roll
-head rests are uncomfortable...

im sure i will add to this list by tomorrow, currently i have only drove it for 15min to work

hurrdurr
10-20-2011, 08:48 AM
Scion XB?

http://images.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/03/2011xb4.jpg

http://www.auto-power-girl.com/photo-gallery/scion-xb-facelift/scion-xb-facelift-2011-8.jpg

Guillermo
10-20-2011, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

what a garbage car... i currently have one as a loaner when the mustang is in the shop... i cant believe these sell when a mustang starts at $22k (with $2k in incentives) :nut:

-it bogs from a start
-it pulls when braking
-comes with power locks, mirrors, auto head light, etc yet no aux audio input (has a button for it, but no physical port)
-rides rougher over our bumpy ass roads than the mustang with lowering springs in it, yet still retains terrible body roll

im sure i will add to this list by tomorrow, currently i have only drove it for 15min to work

yes, i've had focuses several times as rentals, wasn't a fan at all. the only thing they have going for them is the front headlight design.

heavyD
10-20-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by ercchry

-it bogs from a start
-it pulls when braking

How ironic. My Mustang is in the body shop and I have a 2012 Focus Titanium loaner. Yours was obviously a base Focus.

-First of all this thing has over 25,000 what looks to be hard KM's on it already that's got dents and what looks like an amateur bodyshop repair job on the rear drivers side where someone backed into something. Boo on Enterprise for not even cleaning the big stain on the passenger seat or vacuuming the car.:thumbsdow
-Having owned an EVO with the TC-SST I was prepared and used to the momentary hesitation from starts which is not a fault of the car as it's just a byproduct of dual clutch transmissions. Works well when the car is going though. Wish it had paddle shifters.
-There does seem to be an annoying shudder when slowing down to a stop as the transmission sfits from 3rd to 1st.
-Engine is peppy and more than enough to get around town. Does run out of breath at high RPM's but so does the rest of the class.
-Love the interior design, layout and the NAV (two USB inputs in the arm rest console w/SD cars input as well) which is the newer version of what I have in my Stang. Don't like the materials though which IMO are barely a level above the 2008-2011 Impreza which is my benchmark for worst in class interior materials. The steering wheel is horribly cheap in particular.
-Love the handling. Barely any body roll and I honestly don't remember FWD handling this good. Best part of the car IMO.
-Ride is average and maybe on the firm side for this type of car. No rattles or noises but not as forgiving on road imperfections as a more softly sprung car but that's maybe the tradeoff for the great handling.
-Styling wise it's a good looking car particularily from the front end. Throw in the attractive interior and it definately is the best looking car in the class.

In all I don't think it's as well put together as a Civic but on the flip side it looks much nicer inside and out and I doubt there's a better handling car in the class. I'm very excited to see how the turbocharged Focus ST turns out using this car as a starting point.

speedog
10-20-2011, 11:43 AM
To the OP, drive a bunch, read the Car and Driver article posted by heavyD and weigh the fanboy and/or critic's comments carefully. Most important, go test drive them and see what you like - my Sonic hasn't disappointed yet and in some ways is better than the HHR I traded in, but is lacking in other places. Like heavyD said above, the 1.8l Sonic I have does run out of breath at highway passing speeds, but since 95% of this car's life will be spent driving in the city of Calgary, that really isn't an issue. What has surprised me is the handling, the ride, the seats and the passenger room plus it is a really easy car to service compared to the HHR - mileage on this morning's commute (32km) was 7.4l/100km (38mpg), combination of stop and go plus Deerfoot.