PDA

View Full Version : Cold Remedies

flipstah
10-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Now that fall is upon us and winter's close at hand, share your remedies/recipes to beat out the common cold!

Mine is hot ginger tea and spicy foods. I recently put-together a 'sweater' meal:

http://s1.proxy05.twitpic.com/photos/large/422469956.jpg

Coconut garlic crab stirfry with 4 kinds of chile. :drool:

Just fry up some garlic, serrano, jalapeno, habanero, and a little Thai chili. Then, add the crab and coconut milk to your desired thickness.

It'll shoot that mucus right out! :thumbsup:

KRyn
10-12-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Now that fall is upon us and winter's close at hand, share your remedies/recipes to beat out the common cold!

Mine is hot ginger tea and spicy foods. I recently put-together a 'sweater' meal:

http://s1.proxy05.twitpic.com/photos/large/422469956.jpg

Coconut garlic crab stirfry with 4 kinds of chile. :drool:

Just fry up some garlic, serrano, jalapeno, habanero, and a little Thai chili. Then, add the crab and coconut milk to your desired thickness.

It'll shoot that mucus right out! :thumbsup:

Looks delicious, when can I come over for dinner?

Nothing like some good old vitamin-V to keep the immune system strong!
:poosie:

flipstah
10-12-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by KRyn

Looks delicious, when can I come over for dinner?

Nothing like some good old vitamin-V to keep the immune system strong!
:poosie:

You offering? Because I don't give it up for anyone.

That and my inability to provide your needs.

... Equipped with the penis and all.

KRyn
10-12-2011, 10:57 PM
Uhh I was not propositioning what you think.

I was suggesting that getting some vitamin-V is good for us males to keep the immune system strong. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously that meal looks delicious.

flipstah
10-12-2011, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by KRyn
Uhh I was not propositioning what you think.

I was suggesting that getting some vitamin-V is good for us males to keep the immune system strong. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

But seriously that meal looks delicious.

LOL this is what happens when you're hopped up on chili heat! Back on topic!

Anyone ever done straight up honey? Soothes a scratchy throat!:thumbsup:

shynepho
10-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Anyone ever done straight up honey? Soothes a scratchy throat!:thumbsup:

Yep honey is my natural antibiotic of choice. I have a teaspoon or mix it with some warm water and drink it daily at night.

jdmXSI
10-12-2011, 11:41 PM
This was given to me from a doctor for respratory infections and I might add that it works quite well!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s181/jdm_xsi/9e812607.jpg

flipstah
10-13-2011, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI
This was given to me from a doctor for respratory infections and I might add that it works quite well!

The VapoRub on the feet is a new one. So I'm trying it out right now!

.. What does it do? I use it to sleep soundly whenever I have a stuffy nose.

n1zm0
10-13-2011, 08:55 AM
Any noodle soup for me, i mean asian noodle soup, with loads of chili in a saucer, if i have time, water-tungchoy-rice vermicelli and lots of chili to eat with.

if i dont have time for that, then pho it is, with 70% sambal oelek and 30% hoisin, really clears up the sinus area lol

flipstah
10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Any noodle soup for me, i mean asian noodle soup, with loads of chili in a saucer, if i have time, water-tungchoy-rice vermicelli and lots of chili to eat with.

if i dont have time for that, then pho it is, with 70% sambal oelek and 30% hoisin, really clears up the sinus area lol

Where can you get Sambal Oelek? Looks mighty good! :drool:

JRSC00LUDE
10-13-2011, 10:26 AM
http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/firecider.html

I know a few people who swear by this shit, I'm too scared to try lol but I might mix a batch up for fun.

Kritafo
10-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Where can you get Sambal Oelek? Looks mighty good! :drool:

you can buy it right at superstore. It's my favourite chili paste, although I am not sure if it's 70% but it's hot enough to get your sinuses going.

gts_gurl
10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
A shot glass filled with water and 3 drops of oil of oregano every morning.... seems to do the trick for me!

Kritafo
10-13-2011, 10:51 AM
I am going to try the vicks on the feet my son, he is home sick today. Lets see what happens. We use oil of orenego everyday, multi-vitamins, fresh fruit and veggie juice every day....this is the second cold since school started. He is in neocitran coma at the moment.

jdmXSI
10-13-2011, 11:06 AM

The VapoRub on the feet is a new one. So I'm trying it out right now!

.. What does it do? I use it to sleep soundly whenever I have a stuffy nose.

Not really sure, I have never tried it. The only ones that i have tried were the apple cider vinegar, Collidial Silver (natural anit-biotic), L-Lysine(immune booster) and the "Herbal" tea.

n1zm0
10-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kritafo

you can buy it right at superstore. It's my favourite chili paste, although I am not sure if it's 70% but it's hot enough to get your sinuses going.

no, i'm talking about the hoisin and sriracha that pho restaurants usually give you for take out, the small little container isn't enough for me, so when i bring it home, 70% sambal oelek and 30% hoisin in a small dipping dish. also sometimes, since being m'sian, ill do sambal oelek and lime, :drool: with any kind of noodles.

2007RS4
10-13-2011, 11:10 AM
2-3 shots of Becherovka (Czech liquor).

88CRX
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Some sort of Netipot/sinus rinse for and sinus type stuff seems to work wonders.

That plus some sort of meds to assist with getting a good nights sleep helps power through colds as fast as possible.

theken
10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Week 2 of cough due to cold, just coming off 7 weeks of sore throat. Love my life.....

GQBalla
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
sore throats

cup of hot ass water
and dissolve as MUCH salt as possible and gurgle the whoel thing

repeat

DGill
10-13-2011, 01:06 PM
Interested how the vicks on the feet works, if anyone tries it post a review haha, I would try it but im not sick so it wouldnt make a difference.

cancer man
10-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Get 3 packs of halls crush them and mix with Yukon Gold or Alberta springs whiskey.
You want believe the dreams you have.

flipstah
10-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by DGill
Interested how the vicks on the feet works, if anyone tries it post a review haha, I would try it but im not sick so it wouldnt make a difference.

Nothing really happened to me... Just a cool feet sensation throughout the day? :confused:

wintonyk
10-13-2011, 03:19 PM
i do the ginger, lemon and honey thing all the time.

Clove of raw garlic every night before bed when I remotely start feeling sick.

88CRX
10-13-2011, 04:01 PM

Nothing really happened to me... Just a cool feet sensation throughout the day? :confused:

I think you've been trolled!

:rofl:

flipstah
10-13-2011, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
http://www.herbalremediesinfo.com/firecider.html

I know a few people who swear by this shit, I'm too scared to try lol but I might mix a batch up for fun.

Holy shit, looks potent! Must try lol!

Originally posted by 88CRX
Some sort of Netipot/sinus rinse for and sinus type stuff seems to work wonders.

That plus some sort of meds to assist with getting a good nights sleep helps power through colds as fast as possible.

OHHH WHAT THE FUU-

LW9mvVe7Mk4

That shit's nasty.

Kritafo
10-13-2011, 07:46 PM
yup vicks on the feet isn't doing anything for my boy. Neilmed low flow high volume nasal rinse I use on a daily basis.

88CRX
10-13-2011, 07:48 PM
It's nasty but it works!

Works great for sinus colds and allergys.

jdmXSI
10-13-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by 88CRX

I think you've been trolled!

:rofl:

:rofl: :rofl:

I seriously didn't try and troll anyone...lol.

A quick google search resulted of "Vicks vapor rub on feet" is supposed to help releive a persons cough and or athletes foot.

imhungry
10-13-2011, 11:02 PM
I rely on cold-fx. Idk just works for me. Also lemon-honey tea! Or washing down cold-fx with honey lemon tea =)

msommers
10-13-2011, 11:48 PM
Depends. Buckley's and Vapor rub are great for a sore throat or hacking cough. Nqyuil day/night for runny nose/mild flu. Salt water works too.

Either way, I down OJ like crazy, take echinacea and garlic pills and sleep much earlier than usual. That nyquil night shit makes me pass out in like 10 minutes! That or neocitrin.

Sometimes a really spicy pho has helped. I remember I got shitfaced one night and the next day I wasn't sick anymore!

Mitsu3000gt
10-14-2011, 12:59 AM
IMO, sleep and tons of water is the fastest way to rid of a cold.

Also, I drink way more water than the average person and I haven't been sick in 14 months.

Cold FX has been proven useless unless taken EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE, at which point it reduces cold chance by about 10%. Not worth it. The people that take it only when their colds start aren't doing anything. It's not going to cause harm, obviously, but at $25 a bottle and 9 pills a day recommended it may not be the best way to battle a cold.

Cooked Rice
10-14-2011, 03:23 AM
vodka, orange juice, honey, hot red pepper. stir it up, warm it up, drink it, knocks you on your ass, wake up feeling good as new.

flipstah
10-14-2011, 06:24 PM
I am now a firm believer of the nasal rinse. Shit's nasty but my nose is hella clear.

mmmm ahh. :love:

But definitely, read the instructions thoroughly. The carnage is still evident in my bathroom.... :cry:

imhungry
10-15-2011, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
IMO, sleep and tons of water is the fastest way to rid of a cold.

Also, I drink way more water than the average person and I haven't been sick in 14 months.

Cold FX has been proven useless unless taken EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE, at which point it reduces cold chance by about 10%. Not worth it. The people that take it only when their colds start aren't doing anything. It's not going to cause harm, obviously, but at $25 a bottle and 9 pills a day recommended it may not be the best way to battle a cold.

Works for me. Maybe more of a placebo effect =P. But if it works for me whether medically or physiologically it still makes me feel better. And if it makes me feel better, it's worth $25.

88CRX
10-15-2011, 10:26 AM
I am now a firm believer of the nasal rinse. Shit's nasty but my nose is hella clear.

But definitely, read the instructions thoroughly. The carnage is still evident in my bathroom.... :cry:

Yup!

It's pretty messy like you said haha. Just keep doing it for the next several days and you'll be good to go.

boarderfatty
10-17-2011, 08:08 PM
I drink vegegreen every day, is a vegetable powder made mostly of seaweed, kelp, grass, and crap blueberry flavoring. But it is like 12 servings of vegetables. Have 1 scoop in water every morning, haven't had so much as a cold in 2.5 years.

nonofyobiz
10-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by jdmXSI

you were supposed to do all of those things?
that's nuts, usually i just take Cold FX, although never really convince that it did anything.

J.D.
10-22-2011, 12:03 PM
For ccolds coughs and flus if you start feeling it coming on try this for a few days till you feel better, Emergenc (http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=emergenc&um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&sa=N&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=785&bih=308&tbm=isch&tbnid=E96LwGXLK1DXhM:&imgrefurl=http://instoresnow.walmart.com/enhancedrendercontent_ektid40948.aspx&docid=IXg3nINOcCLkiM&imgurl=http://instoresnow.walmart.com/uploadedImages/In_Stores_Now/Free_Samples/1743_mod_full_emergenc.jpg&w=690&h=238&ei=9wSjTseTCfDUiAK_0PHcAw&zoom=1)

1000mg of vitamin c in liquid form so your body can absorb and use it faster.

Mitsu3000gt
10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by imhungry

Works for me. Maybe more of a placebo effect =P. But if it works for me whether medically or physiologically it still makes me feel better. And if it makes me feel better, it's worth $25.

Yup, the placebo effect is actually complete valid. If it works for you then it's probably worth the $25. I'd pay $25 to get rid of every cold I got haha. Doesn't work that way for most though I don't think.

CompletelyNumb
10-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Source on the ColdFX not working?

I don't get sick too often but when I do I always hit up coldfx, and it seems to work very well for me.

I'll +1 for salt water gargles and honey and tea.

crash001
10-23-2011, 09:11 PM
The minute I have a slight sniff or tickle in my throat I break out the netti pot (sinus rinse) and oil of oregano, some vitamin c and echinecea.

Yes the netti pot is nasty, but it works. As for the oregano, put 3-4 drops into a shot glass with orange juice and shoot it. Some people plug their nose when they take it so it's not so strong.

I have friends that swear by the vicks on the feet.

Sometimes it's best to let a cold run it's course to build some immunity

Cheers!

CCM Pro
10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
Unfortunately I get colds (or the start of them) at least 4X a year...I am just somewhat prone to them even though I work out and take lots of supplements. When I start to feel it come (and the trick really is to start the cold supplements the minute you feel it) I take the following:

-Sinus Take Care (by Nu Chapter)
-Oregano
-Bio K probiotic drink

Take these along with a regular multi (if you have one) and I find it comes at about 10% of capacity only and is gone fast.

It works for me but doesn't mean it works for everyone...

dino_martini
11-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Where can yOu get oil of oregano? Got a case of the sniffles right now :(

flipstah
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
since the inception of this thread, my "cold" hasn't disappeared. So I'm hitting it with the heavy stuff; ampicillin but still got it! Fml.

Kritafo
11-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Where can yOu get oil of oregano? Got a case of the sniffles right now :(

London Drugs, shoppers just about everywhere I bought my last bottle at Superstore

bulaian
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM

hahah yup, first time I did it I thought I was going to drown and then spilled it all everywhere.

Ukyo8
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
When I feel like I'm getting sick I eat as much garlic and fresh ginger as I possibly can.

Probably works about 90% of the time for me and I'm not sick anymore by the next morning.

spikerS
11-01-2011, 05:50 PM
When I get sick, if on the 3rd day when I wake up, if I still feel sick, I take the day off, and get fall down drunk on things like Rye+water or vodka+gatorade. the key here is getting smashed. Does not matter if I puke or not. Doing this makes me go to bed early, and the water or gatorade keep me hydrated, and any hangover gets slept off.

I wake up the next day, minimal hangover, if any, and no symptoms of being sick.

heavyfuel
11-01-2011, 08:18 PM
Ibuprofen and chicken broth. I'm talking 4-6 400mg's, and 2-4 litres of low-sodium chicken broth. Weird. But it works for me each time.