PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Mountain Apparel

ga16i
10-13-2011, 11:35 AM
Been fairly busy this year heading out to the mountains almost every other weekend. What are people's thoughts on North Face VS Columbia VS Helly Hansen VS etc?

So far, definitely liking the North Face and Columbia for heat gear and H/H Warm is doing its job so far. The heat gear is fairly moisture resistant and dries very quick if you get it wet.

Does the fancy Columbia base layer with shiny material on the inside and dark material on the outside actually work?

Definitely thinking of grabbing some ice walking crampons and getting out there this winter, went out there with snowboarding clothes last winter and while it works, I'd like something thinner and warmer. Think junior Bear Grylls nothing too crazy kind of winter hikes.

statick
10-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Primarily, I use outdoor gear given to me from work. It's not great, but it certainly works. I'm finding that one of North Face's multi-layer (shell, liner, etc) systems is working well, I opted against Columbia's variant based on how the jacket fitted and felt on me.

I'm not a skier/snowboarder or ice/mixed climber, so I don't get out in the winter unless work takes me their. I'm usually out in spring, fall and, needless to say, summer for a few things. I did enjoy skiing the one time I went though and I wouldn't mind getting some snowshoes.

With this kind of discussion, I miss living in Calgary...

How many and what kind of layers do you find working well for you in the cold of winter?

r3ccOs
10-13-2011, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ga16i
Been fairly busy this year heading out to the mountains almost every other weekend. What are people's thoughts on North Face VS Columbia VS Helly Hansen VS etc?

So far, definitely liking the North Face and Columbia for heat gear and H/H Warm is doing its job so far. The heat gear is fairly moisture resistant and dries very quick if you get it wet.

Does the fancy Columbia base layer with shiny material on the inside and dark material on the outside actually work?

Definitely thinking of grabbing some ice walking crampons and getting out there this winter, went out there with snowboarding clothes last winter and while it works, I'd like something thinner and warmer. Think junior Bear Grylls nothing too crazy kind of winter hikes.

truely no need to buy anything overly exclusive and expensive like arcteryx or patagonia unless you really want to treat yourself...

MEC products are the most practical and best valued products I've ran across...
Their gators, packs, tents, undergarmonts, shirts, pants, amongst other things offer great functionality & value

however if you are fashion concious, yes there is Helly, North Face, then of course Mountain Hardware, etc...

My favorite company so far is Outdoor Research, as their gators, exped downmats, and mithril jacket has yet to fail me.

But still... I'll buy whatever works for whatever is priced best.

I'm definately a fan of Columbia's titanium stuff... I used to have a hardshell of theirs and it stood up just as good as any GORE products I've owned.

Columbia also owns mountain hardware, and I've heard nothing but good things about their reflective liner... that being said, out here in Cowtown, unless you're rocking Burton, Phenix, Spyder, North Face, Arcteryx out in the mountain resort or on some k-country trails, you're a second class citizen.

One thing I wouldn't cheap out on is boots...
Personally I think that North Face, Salomon, Merrell are alright for day hikers and light trail boots... but any actual backpacking/mountaineering boots are best left for:

Asolo
Vasque
Scarpa
Garmont
Zamberlan

Most of those boots also allow optional crampons, are usually made on a 1 piece upper and a vibram rubber sole with some sort of a strong shank in it.

Mixalot27
10-13-2011, 11:11 PM
I would suggest ordering your items from these vendors:

www.campmor.com 12% USPS shipping

www.campsaver.com Free USPS shipping over $200

Find a local store you can check out and try on the items you are interested in and then order online from one of the above and you'll usually save big bucks.