PDA

View Full Version : Bike Trainers

msommers
10-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Curious if anyone is using a trainer and what kind if they are. I've done a bit of research today and I think I'm set on the Kurt Kinetic road machine or rock and roll. The latter seems more expensive but apparently gives a better road feel and is more reliable in the long run.

98type_r
10-14-2011, 09:33 AM
I have never tried the rock n' roll but I've had the road machine for about 4-5 years now. Still works great for logging long mindless hours in the winter.

swak
10-14-2011, 10:17 AM
Id say go Kinetic, or Cycleops.

You pay a little more, but ive had my FLuid2 Trainer for years now without a hiccup.

Or if you're really baller go for the Tacx Bushido. I rode on it yesterday, and it is definitely worth the price tag, but that price tag is pretty steep haha...

scary_perry
10-16-2011, 09:58 PM
The crazy new Lemond that replaces your rear wheel looks neat. I like that you can get cadence and power for it too.

But it starts at $579. :(

swak
10-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
The crazy new Lemond that replaces your rear wheel looks neat. I like that you can get cadence and power for it too.

But it starts at $579. :(

ANNDDD... Its loud as balls.
Like i know some people say their trainer is loud but really its not that bad... Not the case... These guys are LOUD. You can hear it going on a busy day in Bow Cycle on the other side of the store over the noise from the people etc.. Then when you hear it sounds like something is going to blow up.

I wouldn't recommend haha...

But to be honest, Greg LeMond is my all time cycling hero. So i really am disappointed. When they change it, i will support it fully. Until then, Cycleops.

scary_perry
10-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Yeah, you can go deaf if you train indoors a lot.

It must be a wind trainer.

swak
10-17-2011, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
Yeah, you can go deaf if you train indoors a lot.

It must be a wind trainer.

the big fan attached to it give it away? :poosie:
Most trainers realistically arent that bad.

LeMond dropped the ball hard though

HHURICANE1
10-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm looking for a good training program for mine this winter. Anyone have any good sites or suggestions?

swak
10-18-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by HHURICANE1
I'm looking for a good training program for mine this winter. Anyone have any good sites or suggestions?

I dont have any good resources online, but i can fax you a good article i found if you want (dont want to type it out)... Or send it on a dinosaur, whichever you prefer :banghead:

Just do lots of sprints (short ones, long ones)
..... thats what she said ^

Hill climbs, etc.

Penguin_Racecar
10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
I like my Cycleops Fluid2. Relatively inexpensive and it does the trick.

tom_9109
10-19-2011, 08:23 AM
I have a decent fluid trainer with like 100km on it. If you're interested pm me and I'll send you the info.

HHURICANE1
10-19-2011, 08:35 AM
^I have the trainer, just looking for a program for the winter.

msommers
10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
Went and tried out the two trainers I narrowed down to, cyclops and road machine. The cyclops is really quiet but then sounds like a jet engine when you get going. The road machine is a seemingly quieter but I think it is the frequency as it's quite a bit lower and not whinny.

Considering they're the same price, I'm opting for the road machine!

BrknFngrs
10-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Rather than start a new thread; can anyone recommend a good road bike to match with a road machine trainer? I know that this is a fairly wide open question, but I'm essentially just picturing a bike that can be almost purely for trainer use over the winter, available at a good price and has any/all the right components to ensure good compatability with a trainer.

Edit: Alternatively, has anyone used a mountain bike with a trainer for winter exercise? I'm assuming I would just have to get a road, as opposed to nobby, tire?

swak
10-24-2011, 07:44 PM
yes, many people use their mountain bikes on trainers.

What you would be looking for is a MTB Trainer tire. (They are essentially wax tires, designed for strictly trainer use).

Makes way more sense than buying a cheap road bike for just using on a trainer, unless you plan on getting into some road riding in the new year.

The tires are in the $60 range.

BrknFngrs
10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by swak
yes, many people use their mountain bikes on trainers.

What you would be looking for is a MTB Trainer tire. (They are essentially wax tires, designed for strictly trainer use).

Makes way more sense than buying a cheap road bike for just using on a trainer, unless you plan on getting into some road riding in the new year.

The tires are in the $60 range.

:thumbsup: Thanks for the info; much easier than buying a second bike that I don't have room for.