PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Nismoblurr - A Letter from a Shelter Manager

zipdoa
10-14-2011, 10:06 AM
A good read for any pet owner/breeder/seller etc.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4066/29943925187998537841366.jpg

A Letter from a Shelter Manager - anonymous in North Carolina

I think our society needs a huge "Wake-up" call. As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all...a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day. Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don't even know.

That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore. So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays", that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are; "We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving too that doesn't allow pets? Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get? "We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10-12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs! "She's tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family? They always tell me "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog".

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies. Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps. It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it. If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose. If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door.

Those dogs just don't get adopted. It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are.

If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed. If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long . Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment. If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down".

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk happy, wagging their tails. Until they get to "The Room", every one of them freaks out and puts on the brakes when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them. Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are. Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff". Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams. They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pets corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage. What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much farther than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is. I just hope I maybe changed one persons mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog. I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt". THAT WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT

Adrenaline101
10-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Although I agree with the general point behind the post. The euthanasia part slightly bothered me, as I had to have my badly injured dog put down recently.

zipdoa
10-14-2011, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Adrenaline101
Although I agree with the general point behind the post. The euthanasia part slightly bothered me, as I had to have my badly injured dog put down recently.

I've been there as well. Obviously it's a different story when euthanasia is a necessity.

10-14-2011, 10:24 AM
I am a strong beleiver in adoption from a resuce or shelter over buying a breeder dog - looking through the SPCA or even the petland resuce "pets for life" kennels it always tugs at my heartstrings knowing these dogs may not make it..

Granted the pets for life foundation is a "no kill" foundation, it must be terrible for the dogs to be shuttled between stores hoping to be adopted.

The euthenasia part also bothered me, I hope that when it comes down to it, my dogs will pass peacefully in their sleep and not have to be put down.

dirtsniffer
10-14-2011, 10:32 AM
dayum. I wanted to get a purebred boxer. now i think it will be a shelter dog. also been looking for a new volunteer gig. might give the spca a shout. the picture was the saddest part

Abeo
10-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Rescue animals are awesome; you can't help think that they are grateful for being saved.

Great post, OP

desi112
10-14-2011, 11:44 AM
shelter is the only way to go.
If i new better when i got our girl i would've done the same thing, but she's 16 and awesome! next dog is defintaly going to come from the shelther

DannyO
10-14-2011, 12:30 PM
As sad as that is to read, I'm glad you posted it, hopefully it will change some minds.

As for the moving excuse, I moved from England and we brought both our dogs with us, can't really see any reasons that would change that apart from some extreme examples.

I decided a while back my next dogs will be from a shelter/rescue.

sputnik
10-14-2011, 12:36 PM
Having a pet is a ridiculous concept.

zipdoa
10-14-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
Having a pet is a ridiculous concept.

Lets not attempt to derail the thread just yet.

JAYMEZ
10-14-2011, 12:46 PM
My pittys are rescues and I also help foster other pittys.

If you guys are looking for a dog , check out pawsative match :thumbsup:

powerslave
10-14-2011, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
If you guys are looking for a dog , check out pawsative match :thumbsup:

We adopted our dog through Pawsitive Match about a year ago, and we're very happy with her.

kvg
10-14-2011, 12:56 PM
A pet should be more than just a pet, its a member of your family. They have no choice to put their lives in your hands.

Mar
10-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Anonymous? I'd like to see some credibility behind the writer, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some hippie writing this to try and influence people, I wonder how much of it is true and where they got the photo.

Aside from that I support what the shelters try to do with getting pets adopted and I check their website regularly to see if I can take any of the invertibrates off their hands. Or by some grace of God they have a Newfoundland puppy I can take.

Here's the website for anyone that wants to see the animals they currently have. Maybe one day when I'm not so busy I'll redo it for them pro bono.

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/

bspot
10-14-2011, 01:27 PM
:cry: I want to go home and pet my cat :(

A coworker had found him and he was on his way into the euthanasia room when I called to ask about him. I didn't want a cat, but just thinking about this poor little guy (less than 1 year old) recovering from being beaten up and starved on the streets, only to be put down after his fight, was too much to take.

I didn't even know what he looked like until I went to meet him that night.

I know everyone says their cat is the coolest, but anyone that has met Max will agree he IS the coolest. He'll hang out with dogs that come over, he'll play with anything, especially straws from big gulp cups which he regularly steals, and then he'll pass out and sleep on your lap for hours.

He was almost gone, but instead we've had 4 awesome years together.

Yes. I'm a huge fag. I love my cat :)

Almost killed:

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YSmO7K3Y36I/TpiM_n_luSI/AAAAAAAAAH0/qk1Sluc8qLg/s201/Max.jpg

bspot
10-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Anonymous? I'd like to see some credibility behind the writer, I wouldn't be surprised if this was some hippie writing this to try and influence people, I wonder how much of it is true and where they got the photo.

The Calgary Humane society has one of the lowest kill rates in NA (thanks largely to the money provided by the cat/dog licensing program), but even so they have to put down kittens because even they won't go fast enough sometimes. Anything over a year old is generally toast. It's brutally sad.

A790
10-14-2011, 01:55 PM
I'm going to adopt a cat. Not a kitten. A cat.

And it's going to be fucking amazing.

sexualbanana
10-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by bspot

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YSmO7K3Y36I/TpiM_n_luSI/AAAAAAAAAH0/qk1Sluc8qLg/s201/Max.jpg

Whoa, creeper eyes. haha. jk.

Sorry. That's all I have to add to this thread.

Kloubek
10-14-2011, 02:22 PM
Cred or not, that was sad to read. That picture brings a tear to my eye.

Our Staffy is now 17 weeks old, and we would not dream of giving him up for anything - we're so attached to him already.

gretz
10-14-2011, 02:28 PM
We adopted a shep/lab cross at 10 weeks old, as well as a pure-bred chocolate lab @ 11 weeks old...

Spoiled bastards lol

bspot
10-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Whoa, creeper eyes. haha. jk.

Just like his daddy :love:

2007RS4
10-14-2011, 02:51 PM
We have a purebread Golden at home and were considering adopting a rescue last year. The attitude some of the rescue folks had was absurd when we told them there is a purebread dog at home. Turned us off and we walked out. Our Golden would have been the best mentor to one of these pups (it was ARF rescue).

You think some of the purebread kennel club people are snobs, rescue folks can be just as bad.

Mar
10-14-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
We have a purebread Golden at home and were considering adopting a rescue last year. The attitude some of the rescue folks had was absurd when we told them there is a purebread dog at home. Turned us off and we walked out. Our Golden would have been the best mentor to one of these pups (it was ARF rescue).

You think some of the purebread kennel club people are snobs, rescue folks can be just as bad.
http://ibnelson.com/NewBreed/38pureBreadDogs.jpg

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/userfiles/purebread%20pug.jpg

2007RS4
10-14-2011, 03:00 PM
^ You have too much time on your hands. Go do something useful.

Mar
10-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
^ You have too much time on your hands. Go do something useful.

:rofl:
I work on the computer 12 hours a day, I flick back to Beyond every 5 minutes.

kvg
10-14-2011, 03:21 PM
My cat followed my daughters home when they were selling girl guide cookies. It was cold as hell so my wife let her in and gave her some water and let her warm up, the let her out. The cat was still sitting at my door at 9 when I got home so we let her in for the night, then let her out in the morning. Pearl just sat at our door so we tried to find her home(no tattoo/ chip/collar) and took her to the humane society. 10 days later she was still there, and we had a new family member. I'm not a cat person, but pearl is a member of our family now. One less dead cat.

http://i935.photobucket.com/albums/ad193/kellygibbonsemail/P1010845.jpg

jonnycat
10-14-2011, 04:04 PM
We took in a stray recently. Poor little fucker was about 5 months old and stranded outside for awhile. She followed my wife and kid home and they took her in for some water and food.

We assumed we'd find the owners as siamese cats aren't usually typical strays. I used kijiji, checked mailboxes and lamposts, local newspaper and vet offices with no success. We took her into the vet to get her checked out. Turns out she has a herpes type lung virus that she will have forever, but comes and goes and also had ear mites.

Got her on some anti biotics and she has turned out to kick ass. My dog's new best friend.

Vid of dog and cat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56215801@N04/6244359405/
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6117/6244341003_e74f4bb439_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56215801@N04/6244341003/)

kvg
10-14-2011, 04:29 PM
^Thats funny my cat is a flame point Siamese and i was surprised she was a stray.

jonnycat
10-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Nice! Score for us. :D

kvg
10-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Does yours ever shut up?

jonnycat
10-14-2011, 04:42 PM
She's starting to meow a lot more, for food or to play. She was basically silent when we first got her, except for the lung virus. She snorts all the time and snores like dump truck.

jonnycat
10-14-2011, 04:43 PM
She does give the dog the ol' "Surprise Buttsecks" all the time though

sevewone
10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Great post! :thumbsup:

max_boost
10-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

Vid of dog and cat
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56215801@N04/6244359405/
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6117/6244341003_e74f4bb439_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56215801@N04/6244341003/)

That is awesome. I'd love to get a pet but I am so busy now that it just wouldn't be fair.

kvg
10-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
She does give the dog the ol' "Surprise Buttsecks" all the time though :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cos
10-14-2011, 06:01 PM
We got our cat in 2006 from the meow foundation. I hate cats but I couldnt imagine an empty house without him.

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z455/thecosworth/2011-10-14175842.jpg

pea_soup
10-14-2011, 07:04 PM
FYI if you think of your dog or cat as a "PET" then you are a sick human being. The word "PET" is demeaning.

Dogs and Cats are companions and friends. The love and friendship that develop between a human and a dog is rather remarkable. To simply cal that friend a pet is rather rude when they are more so part of the family.

My dog ain't no pet, it's my best friend.

Go peanut go!

http://www.khphotography.ca/beyond/peanutc.jpg

gt2871r
10-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by max_boost

That is awesome. I'd love to get a pet but I am so busy now that it just wouldn't be fair.

Originally posted by pea_soup
FYI if you think of your dog or cat as a "PET" then you are a sick human being. The word "PET" is demeaning.

max_boost, you sir are officially a sick human being.

kvg
10-14-2011, 07:35 PM
I call my kids pet humans, I must be the worst person ever:cry:

AndyL
10-14-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah my dogs (both rescues) are definitely showing signs of low self esteem due to being called PETs... The cat (also rescue) has gone and gotten herself knocked up and hooked on catnip because of it; and she hasn't even graduated yet... (lol - yes she's fixed)

But when we get our own farm; the caucasian mountain dog, and Pyrs will be purebreds :D

ZorroAMG
10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I hate cats but I couldnt imagine an empty house without him.

Actually, for the house to be empty, you'd HAVE to imagine it without him. :D

10-14-2011, 08:20 PM

Dogs and Cats are companions and friends. The love and friendship that develop between a human and a dog is rather remarkable. To simply cal that friend a pet is rather rude when they are more so part of the family.

My dog ain't no pet, it's my best friend.

pea_soup
10-14-2011, 09:13 PM
It's actually the humane society that posts that info and said it publicly on the news. That dogs and cats aren't pets. People that view them simply as pets are the same people that drop them off at shelters.

There is a substantial difference when you view your pet as friend, companion and family member.

I've simply seen too many dogs that get left in kennels for 10 hours or longer a day.

Cos
10-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

Actually, for the house to be empty, you'd HAVE to imagine it without him. :D

Lol fair enough my english is Chinglish and I am white :(. I dont like many other peoples cats and I dont think I will get one again but I would never give away my little bastard.

Mar
10-14-2011, 11:00 PM
How much are you guys spending in dog food every month?

MrSector9
10-14-2011, 11:19 PM
This is Marty Mcfly, she is a a purebred boston terrier, she was a rescue, she farts alot and smells like poop.

As for food, between her and my roomates dog (50lbs chinese sharpei) we spend approx. $50-70 a month. Buy usually Acana or Orijen

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/37976_10150223138580707_626225706_13971640_253051_n.jpg

AndyL
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Including or not including all the people food that they mooch / thieve / hoover? :rofl:

60$/mnth on the dogs, 30ish on the cat (she gets spoiled), 20ish on the fish/inverts.

So the SPC(Animals) - takes offense to the term pets? So why do they use it with such a great frequency on their website? The definition of PET is basically a non-human member of the family; would they prefer we called them "Animals" - same term I use for the f*in mice that are trying to get into my house at this time of year - and I'm killing constantly?

OMG your a bastard... I opened the spca website to verify the use of the term pet... I better not let the wife see lexie and balu ... We've got enough pets...

Kavy
10-15-2011, 12:52 AM
FYI if you think of your dog or cat as a "Pet" then you are a sick human being. The word "Pet" is demeaning.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-KVdmpK1Q64U/TbHh8quslAI/AAAAAAAAB5o/_6Mf6-a7E-w/s1600/jump+to+conclusions+mat.jpg

msommers
10-15-2011, 01:55 AM
We got our cat from the spca 17 years ago and she's still with us. I don't know how much longer she has but I know she knows she is loved.

I'll have to find specific studies but having a pet (especially for seniors) helps mental health. If you have a dog, it's physical because you're walking your dog!

I think the letter has some validity to it. Some dogs I don't think would adopt very well such as rotties. This would be the one breed that I would go to a breeder. A lot of proper breeders are picky about who their dogs get sent to. Who knows how many breeders don't give a shit though :(

dirtsniffer
10-15-2011, 09:16 AM
i've been looking at getting a pooch for a while and after this thread ive really started to notice all the large active dogs that are up for adoption. most in the .75-2 year old range

http://i53.tinypic.com/1z39lyu.jpg

Mar
10-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Went to The Humane Society today just because I read this thread, I wanted to know if the inventory on their website is true to what they actually have there or if it's outdated. I'm glad to say it's actually extremely good, what I saw down there was exactly what they have online. Cool.

They actually have nice dogs too, check these out:

Great Dane

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/Custom/AdoptionPageBuild/ImageHandler.ashx?PicType=Photo2&PicRef=124316

Pit Bull / Terrier

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/Custom/AdoptionPageBuild/ImageHandler.ashx?PicType=Photo1&PicRef=124426

Chocolate Lab, 7 month old female (almost took this one home)

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/Custom/AdoptionPageBuild/ImageHandler.ashx?PicType=Photo1&PicRef=124660

They also have a Labradoodle, lots of Border Collies, a Jack Russel Terrier and a Rottweiler / Pit Bull mix. That last one was really cool. Plus they got a couple of bearded dragons and about 9 million rabbits.

2007RS4
10-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
all the large active dogs that are up for adoption. most in the .75-2 year old range

IMO, that is the prime time when some of these people understand how much work large breed dogs are. Our Golden Retriever is only just exiting the puppy stage @ 2.5 yrs. Many think that a retriever comes perfect out of the box - sorry ain't that way. Suck it up.

AndyL
10-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Yeah, lexi (great dane) is a gorgeous dog for sure...

I really like balu - Akbash / Maremma Sheepdog Mix

http://www.calgaryhumane.ca/Custom/AdoptionPageBuild/ImageHandler.ashx?PicType=Photo1&PicRef=124368

Unknown303
10-15-2011, 03:12 PM
That's it I'm in on this I picked up my white and black cat from Pets for life.

Named him Loki, he was dead silent for probably the first year, then started making weird squaking noises instead of meows and now he's slowly working towards a real cat noise.

http://i.imgur.com/NfVs0.jpg

01RedDX
10-15-2011, 03:21 PM

AndyL
10-15-2011, 03:35 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/339277/looking-for-a-pitbull/

Self owner extraordinaire...

dirtsniffer
10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
beaten with the link. well heres the coles.

member that has been banned. He started a thread about wanting a pitbull and a few members told him he better know its a big commitment to own a dog. they said he shouldn't be the 'typical' kid who thinks owning a pitbull is part of a fasion statement.
he then insisted he could handle it and bought an expense purebred staffy.
soon after he posted he had to give the dog because he wanted to take a job in the north and the self owning was complete.. friggin idiot..

zipdoa
10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Who the hell is Nismoblurr?

He bought a pitbull on a whim and then decided a couple days later he'd rather ditch it and work in fort mac.

Nismoblurr looking to buy a pitbull (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/339277/looking-for-a-pitbull/)

Nismoblurr selling his pitbull days later (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/341907/fs-purebred-red-nose-female-pitbull/)

01RedDX
10-15-2011, 03:44 PM

codetrap
10-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Crappy cell pic, but I think they get along nicely..

http://www.codetrap.net/binaries/gracie.jpg

Disoblige
10-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Once I live in a house, first day I'm going to get myself a dog from a shelter. Can't wait :)

pea_soup
10-16-2011, 09:22 AM
MrSector stop feeding your dog that shit food. Seriously. Do some research on Boston Terrier's and you are going to find you are hurting your dog and it's stomach. Boston's have one of the very most sensitive stomach's there is. Orijen is about the worst food you could feed a Boston.

There are some foods you can buy at Pet Planet that are extremely ideal for Boston Terriers. They aren't cheap though but that gas your Boston puts out will go away almost immediately.

C_Dave45
10-16-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Mar

Mid-sized lab, we spend roughly $60-$80 on food. I kind of "classify" pet food into 3 categories;
1. Crap Food - Can buy a huge 20kg bag for $20 at Superstore
2. Decent Food - Iams, etc. 20 kg bag for (?) $30 ?
3. Really Expensive stuff $70-$80 per bag.

I find the cheap, crap food pretty much useless. When she eats this stuff, she shits about 3 times a day, each one a HUGE dump.

The better, more expensive food, she will shit much less. Mayyybe twice a day, and smaller dumps.

The really expensive food, even less. Her coat gets really shiny on that stuff.

As to the OP...I am really curious on the status of this dog. Did she get adopted? A beyond member offered to take her..did this happen?

95EG6P
10-16-2011, 09:49 AM
what a eye opener thanks for the good read

Mar
10-16-2011, 09:25 PM
One of my best friends is a vet, she posted this on her wall and I asked her how true it is.

me
Saw this on a forum and wanted to ask you how true it is.

Stephanie 1
It's very true. This stuff happens all the time everywhere. People neglect their pets, or they move or they don't get them fixed so animals get abandonned or become pregnant and all these animals are running around without the proper care and end up in shelters with no room for them and that results in a lot of euthanasia.

Stephanie 2
very sad but way too true

Krystyna
Definitely way too true. Sure you have those no-kill shelters, but the large majority cannot be no-kill for the sheer volume of animals that come in. We work closely with a cat shelter at the clinic and the stories I have heard are enough to make anyone cry. Stories of people being offered a free spay or neuter for their barn cat and them declining, because after having dumped 3 litters of kittens off at the shelter, they have finally decided they want to show their children the "joy of life". Then there are the animals left behind in the apartments when people move because they could not be bothered enough to take them with them. Or the tens of animals being put down because they came down with ringworm and the shelter could not afford the lime sulphur shampoo to even try to treat. The list goes on.

zipdoa
10-17-2011, 10:46 AM
MrSector stop feeding your dog that shit food. Seriously. Do some research on Boston Terrier's and you are going to find you are hurting your dog and it's stomach. Boston's have one of the very most sensitive stomach's there is. Orijen is about the worst food you could feed a Boston.

There are some foods you can buy at Pet Planet that are extremely ideal for Boston Terriers. They aren't cheap though but that gas your Boston puts out will go away almost immediately.

Anything to backup your claim that Orijen is a 'shit food'? I've been using the Regional Red + 6 Fresh Fish for 2-years and my Malamute has never been healthier.

Smaller dogs will get diarrhea if you don't carefully monitor portions due to the high protein content, but I wouldn't be calling it a 'shit' food because of that.

Here's a discussion regarding Orijen on a Boston Terrier forum. Most of the posters claim nothing but excellent results from feeding the food in proper quantities:

Orijen @ BostonTerrier forums (http://www.bostonterrierforums.com/forum/new-puppy-help/2223-kirkland-orijen.html)

codetrap
10-17-2011, 11:26 AM
zipdoa, I think pea_soup is a little bit like that small barking dog that everyone ignores. Orijen is a great food. We tried Gracie on it, but the protein content was just too high, so we shifted to Acana. Been rotating her through the different varieties, skipping the fish one because it made her a little too farty. We found we could drastically cut down on the amount of dog food with no negative results. We also offset her diet by adding a can of green beans every day. She loves them. Also really likes cucumber peelings.. much to my daughters delight. A regular walking composter. :P