PDA

View Full Version : Winter car storage

Tik-Tok
10-14-2011, 10:14 AM
So for the first time, I won't be able to keep my MR2 in the garage this winter, just not enough space with the GTO taking up most of the room.

I have two options,

A) Store it in our "RV parking" beside the garage, which is currently our dog pen, as we don't have a RV. Benefits to this is that it's right in my backyard, and it's somewhat covered (though does get full of snow when it blows at an angle). Negatives is that it's not protected from wind, so a car cover would shift a lot and possibly scratch clearcoat.

or

B) Keep it at my parents house on Van.Island, where it's not going to get to -30 (they're "unlucky" if it gets to -2*, lol), and is sheltered from the wind, BUT would be parked on grass, with no overhead shelter at all. If it were there though, I could take it for drives when I visit them in the middle of winter, so that's kind of a big +.

I'm really on the fence, so opinions?

edit: I fly free, so it's not like it will cost me anything except gas/ferry getting there now, and gas/ferry getting back in late spring.

R-Audi
10-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Get a good car cover and tarp and leave it on your RV pad.

Tarrantula
10-14-2011, 10:43 AM
^^That. Covered makes all the difference.

88CRX
10-14-2011, 10:52 AM
How bad does a car cover flapping in the wind scratch the paint? I always thought it was pretty bad?

510-Trevor
10-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Get a tent for $2-$300 at CDN-Tire. This will be my 4'th winter using mine. No worries about car cover rash this way.
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k89/SpecV-Trevor/My%20Dime/winterstorage4.jpg

bastardchild
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I vote pay $140/mo at SOS Autobody underground heated parking.

CapnCrunch
10-14-2011, 12:18 PM
I say disassemble it, put all the parts in your basement, and then rebuild it in the spring.