PDA

View Full Version : Minivan time - let's make the best of a bad situation

Pages : [1] 2

250and3
10-14-2011, 06:23 PM
OK team, everyone knows minivans are uncool. Nobody really WANTS a minivan. :zzz: :nut:

That being said, I'm pretty sure my wife's next car will be a minivan. I'll probably only drive it once a week or less.

So, what's the "best" minivan? Are any actually nicer/faster/better than the others?

At first glance, I'm leaning towards the Grand Caravan, because it appears a little cheaper, the new engine sounds decent, and it's got those nifty stow-n-go seats.

The Odyssey has a great reputation, but not sure if it's worth the extra few thousand.

Any other family folks in the same situation? Anyone bought a minivan recently and can share some insight?

Fcuk
10-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Sienna. Mini vans are awesome :love:

03ozwhip
10-14-2011, 06:30 PM
did she hand you your balls in a bag or basket? why the fuck a minivan? you know there are SUV's that cost the same, right? i say NO MINIVAN.

RickDaTuner
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
Odyssey is great, Honda fuel economy and reliability. The sienna's are the ones that are high priced.

AndyL
10-14-2011, 06:31 PM
swagger wagon (toyota sienna)

Got a '10 GC - it fucking SUCKS. Repeated issues with this damn keyfob ignition (keeps forgetting what keys are programmed) been in 5-6 times now. Spare tire is between the front seats - if you EVER get a front flat, you're f*cked - you can't get the jack under the jackpoints; with a front flat, you can't get clearance to get the spare out, until you get it jacked up - and climbing under a vehicle on a OEM jack = :facepalm: Gets abhorrent mileage around town. One of the strut mounts on the tailgate just sheared off today...

Can't wait to trade it in on a sienna...

RickDaTuner
10-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
swagger wagon (toyota sienna)

Forgot about that video :D :D

ql-N3F1FhW4

ExtraSlow
10-14-2011, 06:40 PM
I always thought that minivans were the only thing chrysler did well.

Sugarphreak
10-14-2011, 06:51 PM

kvg
10-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Say no to mini van!! Get a pedo van:D

AndyL
10-14-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
I always thought that minivans were the only thing chrysler did well.
I figured so too... Until we got this one, I figured a chryslers experience + mb oversight would mean it would be a massive improvement over the previous generations...

Hindsight, and we did debate the sienna vs the GC - decided to take the lower price... But now, yeah - we would have been way better off to take the sienna; especially since we bought just a few months before that 'canada value edition' came out at 19,988 - we payed almost 27... :banghead: only difference is we've got the swivel n go instead of the stow n go...

Originally posted by RickDaTuner

Forgot about that video :D :D

Best marketing campaign EVER... Why the hell it never went much more than a month :dunno: I think I only saw 1 tv commercial...

thager
10-14-2011, 07:05 PM
get a awd chevy astro

sillysod
10-14-2011, 07:06 PM
Were going to pick up an R-Class this spring for a fam hauler.

IMO only nice minivan and avail in diesel :thumbsup:

rage2
10-14-2011, 07:07 PM
R63 AMG if you can find one.

trieuth
10-14-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by AndyL

I figured so too... Until we got this one, I figured a chryslers experience + mb oversight would mean it would be a massive improvement over the previous generations...

Hindsight, and we did debate the sienna vs the GC - decided to take the lower price... But now, yeah - we would have been way better off to take the sienna; especially since we bought just a few months before that 'canada value edition' came out at 19,988 - we payed almost 27... :banghead: only difference is we've got the swivel n go instead of the stow n go...

Best marketing campaign EVER... Why the hell it never went much more than a month :dunno: I think I only saw 1 tv commercial...

the canada value package didn't come with stow and go though and had bench seats instead of captain seats in the middle. the new 11's are 100x nicer than the 10's to be honest with you. and if you want one for even cheaper wait a few months and rental car companies are getting the 12's now, the used 11's will be on the market in huge numbers soon.

treg50
10-14-2011, 07:13 PM
I did not vote, none of the candidates appealed to me.

Just don't get the updated/new Nissan minivan, what a hideous monstrosity. The Odyssey seems like quality, but pricey. The Caravan has a really good price and Stow-n-Go is amazing, but maybe not the best looking. The Sienna, it's like between the Odyssey and the Caravan, but almost as ugly as the Nissan. It's a tough call.
:cry:

flipstah
10-14-2011, 07:23 PM
Never get a GC/Town and Country/whatever.

I rented one for my US trip and it was probably one of the worst vehicles I've driven. It had 20k miles but probably had one of the worst transmissions ever; shifts were never smooth and it was always jerky.

Interior was shitty and plastic galore for a high-end Chrysler and stereo was shit.

Swagger Wagon or a Quest FTW.

Originally posted by rage2
R63 AMG if you can find one.

Or an XC90. We use it as a people hauler and it's awesome. 7 seater AWD + enough room in the back for things! :love:

Maxt
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
The one thing Minivans have over Suv's is the sliding doors. The sliding doors are great in parking lots for kids and groceries...
Even though I despise minivans, if I had to buy another one, it would be another GC.

dirtsniffer
10-14-2011, 07:31 PM
what about a mazda 5?
imo kids should not be in charge of opening swing out doors. they dent the shit out of others vehicles. so to the guys who suggest SUVs I hope you open the door for your kids

250and3
10-14-2011, 07:34 PM
OK, let's put some constraints on this.
- Must be under 40k. If we spend too much on the wifes car, that just impedes me getting a newer car.
- Must have "lots" of room behind second row seats.
- Must have "decent" fuel economy.

So that gets rid of the R-class (price) and most SUVs. Large SUV's get poor economy and are too costly, small SUV's are too small.
One that is definitively left is the Ford Flex. Used Flex can be had under $20k, and new for under $30.
Wife likes the idea of a sliding door, but who knows.

Pedo van is still in the running. :nut: :eek: :nut:

alpha_gangsta
10-14-2011, 07:48 PM
I love minivans but most people despise the idea. I think the majority of those haters though haven't ever had to load up 2+ kids into seats and the usual hassles of young kids that can't buckle themselves in. It's a big pain in the ass lifting kids up into seats of an SUV vs just stepping into a minivan. Plus it feels like there's always so much more room in a minivan.

A few friends have commented that it's best to avoid spending too much since you only really need a minivan until the kids can get themselves into the vehicle and buckle themselves in. After that... get whatever you want. I'd love a turbo diesel awd wagon with 6speed. hehe

Canucks3322
10-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by treg50
I did not vote, none of the candidates appealed to me.

Just don't get the updated/new Nissan minivan, what a hideous monstrosity. The Odyssey seems like quality, but pricey. The Caravan has a really good price and Stow-n-Go is amazing, but maybe not the best looking. The Sienna, it's like between the Odyssey and the Caravan, but almost as ugly as the Nissan. It's a tough call.
:cry:

Man what's with all the hate for Nissan on beyond?? I love the Quest...Nissan makes the best car in most categories imo:thumbsup: subcompact? the new Versas, compact, new Sentra coming, sedan/coupe? Altima, full size sedan, Maxima (DRROOOLL)...sports car 370z/GT-R, suvs? Xterra, Pathfinder...crossover? JUKE!!...trucks? Titan, Frontier..treehugger? the new Leaf is hands down the best treehugger car out there....minivans...Quest!! www.nissan.ca ;)

http://www.drivingtelevision.tv/?cid=1003&search_text=nissan%20quest&search_type=any&task=search

sillysod
10-14-2011, 08:47 PM
Nothing wrong with Nissans. My little Frontier is a great little truck. They just tend to be a little too generic for most people. Not as boring as Toyota's stuff but still not as nice as some of the other vehicles. Infiniti IMO has so much potential, but their vehicles always feel like they're missing something. :dunno:

sillysod
10-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 250and3
- Must be under 40k.

So that gets rid of the R-class (price)

Clicky Click (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2008-Mercedes-Benz-R320-CDI-4MATIC-Diesel-SUV-Vancouver-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ317407779)

Clicky Click 2 (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-Mercedes-Benz-R-320-CDI-W0QQAdIdZ316747808)

300+ HP YEEEAAAAAAHHHHH!!!! (http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2006-Mercedes-Benz-R-Class-R500-W0QQAdIdZ314353909)

Hallowed_point
10-14-2011, 09:39 PM
I give minivan drivers a wide berth..cause they do the craziest sh*t. No lights at night, jumping curbs, no turn signals. A lot of em drive like they got nothing to lose which they don't i guess. I fear the minivan!

shige
10-14-2011, 10:12 PM
i think the current sienna SE is the best lookin minivan i ever seen, especially in black or white :love:

topmade
10-14-2011, 10:37 PM
SUV's are not comparable to mini vans, they are small in comparision and you cannot move around inside of them very well whereas you can run circles in a minivan. I stuffed 2 sofas in my van and you wouldn't even be able to fit one in a SUV. I can fit 4' x 8' sheet's of wood or drywall with the door closed in our van, try doing that in a SUV. SUV's are also higher making it hard for smaller kids to get in without assistance. Imports hold their value better so the few extra g's now will still be worth more then any domestic van. Check 3-4 year old imports vs domestic vans and you'll see the difference. We looked into the Odyssey, Caravan, Montana and Sienna and we ended up getting a Sienna LE. It's pretty fast (for a van) and I enjoy driving it. Auto sliding doors are a must. IMO every family needs a van, once you see the difference and benefits you'll know why it's essential for a growing family.

kevie88
10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by topmade
SUV's are not comparable to mini vans, they are small in comparision and you cannot move around inside of them very well whereas you can run circles in a minivan. I stuffed 2 sofas in my van and you wouldn't even be able to fit one in a SUV. I can fit 4' x 8' sheet's of wood or drywall with the door closed in our van, try doing that in a SUV. SUV's are also higher making it hard for smaller kids to get in without assistance. Imports hold their value better so the few extra g's now will still be worth more then any domestic van. Check 3-4 year old imports vs domestic vans and you'll see the difference. We looked into the Odyssey, Caravan, Montana and Sienna and we ended up getting a Sienna LE. It's pretty fast (for a van) and I enjoy driving it. Auto sliding doors are a must. IMO every family needs a van, once you see the difference and benefits you'll know why it's essential for a growing family.

Couldn't agree more man, Vans are vastly superior to SUV's in pretty much every aspect except 'neighborhood stunnin' and one upping the neighbors. Mini vans rule.

kvg
10-14-2011, 11:05 PM
A lowered Quest on Volks!! FTW

artieg30
10-14-2011, 11:08 PM
if you were to live in asia i would reccommend the Toyota velfire, leather interior along with decent aftermarket support, it's a tuner's family car lol

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Wald-Toyota_Vellfire_2009_800x600_wallpaper_04.jpg

max_boost
10-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

Couldn't agree more man, Vans are vastly superior to SUV's in pretty much every aspect except 'neighborhood stunnin' and one upping the neighbors. Mini vans rule. I have to agree lol Utility of vans are awesome.

Are there any AWD minivans?

max_boost
10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Sienna AWD.

Do it. :D

NRGie
10-14-2011, 11:28 PM
My parents had a 07 Sienna and had numerous issues with it. Squeaky doors, and a loud whistling/ humming sound coming from the front when driven on a highway.

It was a blast to drive though, thing was a beast.

Resurrected RA
10-14-2011, 11:44 PM
I would like to see something like this in Calgary.

KTnAt0fYRq0

spacerz
10-15-2011, 12:21 AM
If you are considering the Odyssey I would check up on whether any improvements have been made to the transmission. They are known to give out rather quick.

Edit: Nevermind....looks like the problem has been solved.

rage2
10-15-2011, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by 250and3
- Must be under 40k. If we spend too much on the wifes car, that just impedes me getting a newer car.
- Must have "lots" of room behind second row seats.
- Must have "decent" fuel economy.

So that gets rid of the R-class (price) and most SUVs.
R63s sold last year at 42k. They're definately under 40k today. Problem is finding one, MB only sold around 100 worldwide. There's not a huge market for 510hp minivans lol. They do pop up here and there for sale a few times a year. Just have to get lucky.

It's the ultimate winter car. Tons of room, 500hp, paddle shifter, awd, air suspension so you can slam it with a press of a button and go back to stock when the wife drives it. Pretty perfect.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-benz/r-class/2007/first-drive-2007-mercedes-benz-r63-amg-4matic.html

Maxt
10-15-2011, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

Man what's with all the hate for Nissan on beyond?? I love the Quest...Nissan makes the best car in most categories imo:thumbsup: subcompact? the new Versas, compact, new Sentra coming, sedan/coupe? Altima, full size sedan, Maxima (DRROOOLL)...sports car 370z/GT-R, suvs? Xterra, Pathfinder...crossover? JUKE!!...trucks? Titan, Frontier..treehugger? the new Leaf is hands down the best treehugger car out there....minivans...Quest!! www.nissan.ca ;)

http://www.drivingtelevision.tv/?cid=1003&search_text=nissan%20quest&search_type=any&task=search

My parents Xterra was a total POS.....Thats if you can qualify the rear axle shearing off at highway speeds as being a POS.

ianmcc
10-15-2011, 05:47 AM
We have a Flex and love it. AWD and traction control for winter, lots of second row room, wide second doors for getting in easier and a third seat that actually will seat a full sized adult. Plus we are currently averaging between 10-11 L/100 km and have seen 9 on extended highway trips.

ExtraSlow
10-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Rage, you must have missed the request for "reasonable" fuel efficiency. The R63, while awesome, sucks down nearly twice as much fuel as the same-year CDI, or the current year Grand caravan (interestingly).
Not to mention that the R63 takes premium fuel, so your fuel costs would be more than 2x as much.

revelations
10-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Our company rented 2, brand new Chrysler GC while we were in Minnesota. We put 5 weeks and 10,000 MILES on them.

observations:

- super annoying rattle developed at BOTH sliding doors, right behind the B pillars (prob a quick fix). We did off-road these vehicles more than most SUVs will be.
- pretty decent gas mileage (in ECO mode)
- shifting is a bit lurchy (in ECO mode) but nothing crazy
- stow and go seats are amazing
- lots of power but lots of torque steer
- power tailgate/sliding doors are so ballin'
- tall drivers will find the seat doesent slide back far enough, my knee rested, annoyingly, on the dash
- otherwise great for long drives, hauling crap, kids, shit, etc.
- great interior LED lighting package

roll_over
10-15-2011, 11:19 AM
A Co-worker has a 86 gmc cargo van he wants to sell

Ted Bundy White
110,000kms
4 speed auto
Camper conversion(bed in back)
Original owner

Sienna is baus!!!

Cos
10-15-2011, 11:31 AM
http://www.cambridgetoyota.com/Portals/122/Uploaded%20Images/Sienna.jpg

Although expensive this is a great vehicle. I find Toyota to be really underwhelming lately but if I had to get a van I would get a Sienna.

I will get an SUV though, I grew up with MiniVans and although the sliding doors ARE super useful I just couldnt take it. I need an excuse to get an Escalade :)

bignerd
10-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I thought Sienna's were the heaviest and slowest of all the mini-vans with the worst fuel economy??

I would buy the Honda myself. They look nice, go forever, good resale.

Neil4Speed
10-15-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by rage2

R63s sold last year at 42k. They're definately under 40k today. Problem is finding one, MB only sold around 100 worldwide. There's not a huge market for 510hp minivans lol. They do pop up here and there for sale a few times a year. Just have to get lucky.

It's the ultimate winter car. Tons of room, 500hp, paddle shifter, awd, air suspension so you can slam it with a press of a button and go back to stock when the wife drives it. Pretty perfect.

http://www.insideline.com/mercedes-benz/r-class/2007/first-drive-2007-mercedes-benz-r63-amg-4matic.html

Wow, so if your really hellbent on getting a 63 AMG but on a budget, R class is the way to go.

LOLzilla
10-15-2011, 12:06 PM
Used Ford Flex Ecoboost. Twin turbo V6, still under warranty.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/flexecoboost_fd---01_opta.jpg

thager
10-15-2011, 12:58 PM
here ya go, the 4.3 is a 350 minus 2 cyl and the awd is great.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Chevrolet-Chevy-Astro-LT-AWD-4-3L-V6-Minivan-GMC-Safari-W0QQAdIdZ313561148

speedog
10-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by thager
here ya go, the 4.3 is a 350 minus 2 cyl and the awd is great.
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Chevrolet-Chevy-Astro-LT-AWD-4-3L-V6-Minivan-GMC-Safari-W0QQAdIdZ313561148 Suspect OP is looking for something newer then a 98 - Astro's were pretty good, had two of them while the family was young. AWD versions were quite a bit noisier than the RWD versions and the front end suspension/steering pieces wore out really quick - too quick. Not great on fuel, not a great handler, but could carry and tow a lot of stuff. Newer vans are way more accommodating for families though - moved into a larger SUV after the Astro's and can honestly say that the vans were much better suited for family hauling.

thager
10-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by speedog
Suspect OP is looking for something newer then a 98 - Astro's were pretty good, had two of them while the family was young. AWD versions were quite a bit noisier than the RWD versions and the front end suspension/steering pieces wore out really quick - too quick. Not great on fuel, not a great handler, but could carry and tow a lot of stuff. Newer vans are way more accommodating for families though - moved into a larger SUV after the Astro's and can honestly say that the vans were much better suited for family hauling.

they did build them till 2005, ive had 2 and i loved them.

max_boost
10-15-2011, 02:14 PM
Damn it I think I'm in love with the Toyota Sienna now lol :bigpimp:

AndyL
10-15-2011, 03:32 PM
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/byclass/Minivan2012.shtml

There's not much difference between the models... High of 24mpg low of 19...

Sorath
10-15-2011, 03:37 PM
odyssey hands down, best minivan ever

Nakadah
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-2007-Mercedes-Benz-GL-Class-SUV-W0QQAdIdZ311581093

Aleks
10-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

x2

Current Sienna can't even come close to it according to all the reviews I've seen.

corsvette
10-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

x2

Current Sienna can't even come close to it according to all the reviews I've seen.

Just finished reading some owner reviews of the Sienna, seems folks were much happier with the older model than the new one. New Toyotas are probably not much better quality wise than the Chrysler product. Stick with the Honda for reliability, Chrysler for price.

thager
10-15-2011, 10:03 PM
the Volkswagen Routan is just a re badged caravan

4doorj
10-15-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a 2008 dodge caravan and it really sucks.
Since I've had it, my a/c has broken twice. My power steering leaked.
I would prefer a odyssey or a sienna. The new siennas look sweet... (for a mini van)

masoncgy
10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
Minivan is the way to go with small kids. We have an older one, a 1996 Caravan Sport, that I purchased from an old couple in Nanaimo and it is a bloody tank.

I had originally bought it to use for hauling stuff as I went through a significant renovation... so it came in handy. That said, my wife uses it all the time now because she finds it way easier to load/unload our kids... plus it's apparently comfy?

Naturally, it has it's weird Chrysler quirks, like the wipers coming on for no reason on the rare occasion, but other than that it runs like new & drives like new after 15 years & 180,000 km... which I suppose is pretty low for a '96.

250and3
10-16-2011, 09:12 AM
OK, you Mercedes fans can stop posting the R, or the GL.
Wife doesn't care about brands, and a five year old, 100,000km vehicle is no comparison to a brand new one. Especially since the Mercs are more expensive.

Need the sliding rear doors. Fitting an infants bucket seat through the swinging doors when you are parked next to some line-hugging asshole pretty much forces you to ding both cars. I know how beyond.ca treat door-dingers :whipped: :guns:

I'm well acquainted with the astro vans, and I hate them. No.

I was originally sorry I hadn't put the Toyota van in the poll, but the more I look at it, the less I like that van. To me, the choice is still Grand Caravan vs Odyssey.

I guess the final steps would be to actually drive these two, and figure out what bells and whistles we need/want.
Looks like a base GC is pretty barebones, and the top-line Honda is far too dear at around $52k :eek:
Seems like you can get both nicely equipped for between 28 and 34k. (GC Crew and Odyssey EX)

Does Beyond have any Dodge or Honda salemen?

redline
10-16-2011, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Resurrected RA
I would like to see something like this in Calgary.

KTnAt0fYRq0

Tunerworks did on Honda Mini van a long time ago for one customer...

strawberrydouch
10-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Just get something disposable, that way you dont give a fuck when your kids leave french fries under the seats and generally destroy it from the inside out.

BerserkerCatSplat
10-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2009/07/flexecoboost_fd---01_opta.jpg

That's what I'd get. I want one and I don't even have kids.

nicknolte
10-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Skip the new models. Get an old first gen Caravan/Voyager with the turbo

rLIlqY6SwxA

Ukyo8
10-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by nicknolte
Skip the new models. Get an old first gen Caravan/Voyager with the turbo

Worst advice ever :facepalm:

duaner
10-16-2011, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322

GT-R would be the only Nissan I would consider after this car. Look up rust problems and find out just one reason why Nissan is no longer the manufacturer they used to be. Most of their newer stuff is ugly or uninspiring, apart from the Z, GT-R, and I suppose the Murano, although I prefer the old design.

As to the OP, Ford Flex ftw. Depending on how many seats you need, loose the middle, middle seat and get the cooler. Nothing but good reviews and they are supposed to be one very comfortable ride. The wife and I (no kids) will be looking at them when we get our finances in order, although it will be mainly for her business.

craigcd
10-16-2011, 09:28 PM
Sienna for sure, I too said I would never own a minivan and bought one earlier in the year. My second choice was a Odyssey but after reviewing the below website I changed my mind.

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

Looking in Kijiji i actually have noticed several with replaced transmissions.

Tomaz
10-17-2011, 10:09 AM
I will NEVER own a minivan and will find any way possible to keep away from massive SUVs.

If I am having kids, i better be baller enough to buy a MB E63 Wagon!

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/wp-content/uploads/AMGE63Wagonfront-440x293.jpg

But, if a minivan is necessary, It better be an SRT...

http://image.motortrend.com/f/concept-cars/chryslers-forgotten-concepts/7946957+w750/dodge-grand-caravan-r-t-concept-front-three-quarter-view.jpg

And then you can join the "Minivan Fan Club" forums... :rofl:

ExtraSlow
10-17-2011, 10:25 AM
That dodge SRT isn't fooling anyone. It'll still handle like a pig.

legendboy
10-17-2011, 10:30 AM
We have had a sienna for 4 years or so, i love it.

Sooooooooooo handy having a minivan

davesparky6
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
S2000, just make 2,3, or even 4 trips.

All jokes aside, it's the Odyssey for my vote.

Mosquito_R
10-17-2011, 02:23 PM
Well, I drive a minivan and it's definitely not cool, but certainly it's a timely addition to my family. Even though we don't bring the kitchen sink with us whenever we head out, it's good to have extra cargo room for extra knick-knacks.

As some other ppl were saying, the sliding doors are awesome when it comes time to strap kids into their car seats while parked in a tight parking spot. Try that with your average SUV! When it comes to the business of hauling kids and their gear, you're putting them first anyway, so who gives a rat's ass about looking good in your generic SUV (I'm thinking MDX, XC90, Highlander, Yukon, etc).

If I were buying new, I would lean towards the Odyssey because it's got better handling than the other vans, and yes, the Honda name helps at time of resale, assuming that you're letting go of it in a few yrs time when the kids grow up a bit, etc.

If I were buying used, Sienna, Odyssey, Caravan would do. Just get a cheap but well-maintained one, let the kids beat the van up (milk stains, biscuit crumbs, you get the idea), and when they grow up, move on to something better/smaller. Oh, and save some money for maintenance and replacement parts. This is the strategy I'm taking with my 1st-gen Sienna.

To the OP: if your kids are young, you should investigate where you can put your car seats (i.e. LATCH anchor locations). From what I've read, you have much more options on the Odyssey than the Sienna.

I've rented the pre-facelift GC and it's nasty. Makes the old van (previous-gen Caravan) look and feel much better. I have high hopes in Chrysler's revamp of the GC/T&C, but I'm kinda skeptical about how much the quality/reliability has improved in Chrysler products.

Stealth22
10-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Parents have a recent-model Sienna. Never had any issues with it whatsoever, its an awesome minivan. When I was a kid we had this 1996 Caravan. Thing was a piece of shit, always had problems since we bought it, and it took FOREVER for the 'rents to decide to replace it with the Sienna.

Personally, (when I get to that stage of life...I'm in my twenties but not "there" yet), I don't think I would be getting any minivan. If I HAD to get a large vehicle, it'd be a crossover or SUV. And if I HAD to get a minivan (Read: If future wife wants minivan...), then it would be a Sienna. But as others have said, the sliding doors are really useful. I don't even have a wife or kid yet, and I find the doors useful for loading shit into the van. I could never do without powered sliding doors on a minivan now. I think I just contradicted myself in this paragraph, but meh...like I alluded to, I'll cross the bridge when I get to it. :nut:

The parents' Sienna, because its a van, like I said, isn't MY personal choice. BUT, I think the Sienna is the best van out there. The V6 has a lot of kick, and its enjoyable to drive on road trips.

We rented the current Sienna in Hawaii...equally as enjoyable to drive, if not more. The vehicle was brand new, with like 1000 miles on it when we took it out, I was really impressed with it.

lint
10-18-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by LOLzilla

:thumbsup:

Nufy
10-19-2011, 07:37 AM
Back when I got my wife the 09 Sienna we test drove the new GC as well and the Honda Odyssey

The Sienna was much smoother ride than the GC and seemed to have better pickup as well.

The Odyssey lost out on $$$

3 years in and it still rides great on the highway and still has enough gusto to cruise comfortably.

A sports car it isn't but as Minivans go Its tops on my list.

sputnik
10-19-2011, 09:03 AM
y3UKI0ciMRY

clem24
10-19-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by craigcd
Sienna for sure, I too said I would never own a minivan and bought one earlier in the year. My second choice was a Odyssey but after reviewing the below website I changed my mind.

http://www.odysseytransmission.com/

Looking in Kijiji i actually have noticed several with replaced transmissions.

LOL that was an issue with the early 2nd gen (00-02) before the introduction of the 5 speed. We have a 2000 and it will almost hit 200,000 soon. The only major issue we've ever had with the car was failure of motors in each power sliding door but that was to be expected when the car was purchased.

The truth is, the problem was really confined to a specific model year group. And not all were afflicted. Look at the site. Heck, look at the "problem" figures and then compare that to how many Odysseys were sold. You'll now notice that the problems they've had are probably less than most ANY CAR on the market today.

As for finding cars with replaced transmissions for sale, think about it. You're probably LOOKING for that. For every 1 problem car, there are probably hundreds of them problem free. And people are selling them because of that very problem - others are hanging onto them because they are that good.

In any case, as long as you're happy with your Sienna, that's all that matters. But your research is very flawed.

[edit]BTW, to OP, if survey answer #4 is what you want, then you can always try to hunt down (the rare as hell) Merc R63 AMG 4Matic. I've only seen one for sale in AB and that was at least a year ago. And only 2 on Autotrader in all of the US:

http://tinyurl.com/3seer9g

How do you beat 507 HP and 6 seats hahaha

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/06q4/2007_mercedes-benz_r63_amg-first_drive_review

flipstah
10-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Nufy
Back when I got my wife the 09 Sienna we test drove the new GC as well and the Honda Odyssey

The Sienna was much smoother ride than the GC and seemed to have better pickup as well.

The Odyssey lost out on $$$

3 years in and it still rides great on the highway and still has enough gusto to cruise comfortably.

A sports car it isn't but as Minivans go Its tops on my list.

+1 on Sienna! :thumbsup:

max_boost
10-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Although expensive this is a great vehicle. I find Toyota to be really underwhelming lately but if I had to get a van I would get a Sienna.

I will get an SUV though, I grew up with MiniVans and although the sliding doors ARE super useful I just couldnt take it. I need an excuse to get an Escalade :)

That's the SIENNA SE V6 8-PASS 6A model according to the website.

I'd totally rock it. The front and rear end separates it from the other Sienna's.

$36,825 MSRP

Can drive all your friends for an epic guys road trip. :rofl:

heavyD
10-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

Yep it's definately the best I just hate how much more it costs compared to a comparable Chrysler. If I have to drive it all the time I would get an Odyssey but if it's for the wife I'm not sure I would rather save $5k and get a Chrysler as they aren't that bad as long as you have warranty.

If you have young kids like I do and think an SUV is the way to go you will learn as I have that SUV's suck and do not come anywhere close to having the utility and child hauling capacity of a minivan and nothing beats sliding doors for getting kids in and out of child seats.

Stealth22
10-19-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by heavyD

If you have young kids like I do and think an SUV is the way to go you will learn as I have that SUV's suck and do not come anywhere close to having the utility and child hauling capacity of a minivan and nothing beats sliding doors for getting kids in and out of child seats. I don't yet...and like I said before, I'd prefer not to buy a minivan eventually. But somehow, I get the feeling that I'm going to eat those words later.

Xtrema
10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
If you got $40K budget, you can't lose with Sienna or Odyssey.

I prefer Odyssey's edgier style. Never tried either but heard Odyssey's ride is a bit rougher but handles better.

As much praise as GC had with the new Pentastar engine and the new interior, as an 08 owner and former Varsity customer, I have swear off all Chrysler products for the foreseeable future.

Unless you want to save a few bucks, do not get the GC, EVER.

clem24
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Unless you want to save a few bucks, do not get the GC, EVER.

I dunno... I've hated Chrysler as far I can remember but they've been making a lot of progress with their latest round of cars, as in the ones that have received significant interior and engine updates. Originally I thought it was a stupid strategy on their part, but I think it has worked... Public perception of the company is going up, so that people will finally notice when new models are introduced.

Having said that, I think the current Odyssey looks kind of funny... I think the Odyssey to buy is the last gen (i.e. 3rd gen). Both the current Odyssey and Sienna are 2 cars that are inferior to their predecessors, IMHO. Personally, I really like the current Nissan Quest, but it also has the least amount of room and usability of any of the current vans, and that greatly affects resale value down the road...

But hey, if you want at least 6 seats and sliding doors aren't entirely necessary, then either the Ecoboost Flex (which looks discontinued for 2012) or the R63... :D

lint
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
If you have young kids like I do and think an SUV is the way to go you will learn as I have that SUV's suck and do not come anywhere close to having the utility and child hauling capacity of a minivan and nothing beats sliding doors for getting kids in and out of child seats.

I've got 2 small kids (4 and 2) and before we got the Flex last year our family vehicle was a Mazda 3. Personal experience is that sliding doors would be nice, but aren't a deal breaker. My youngest now climbs in and out of his car seat by himself, and even with my big ass, leaning in to buckle him in isn't a problem. The older one gets in and buckles himself.

Because the Flex is big, I don't tend to try and squeeze into tight spots anyways. It's easy enough to park a little further away

craigcd
10-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by clem24

In any case, as long as you're happy with your Sienna, that's all that matters. But your research is very flawed.

Meh that was one website of many, it was just the one that came to mind. I know it also effected Ridgelines in many cases also.

They all have their faults, a GC would likely nickle and dime you to death for the cost of two transmissions before 100,000 Km's. I know some people have decent luck with them but the ones I looked at didnt compare to Sienna's with double the mileage.

clem24
10-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by lint
Personal experience is that sliding doors would be nice, but aren't a deal breaker.

Hehe just wait until your kids have the ability to open doors by themselves... Besides, it's tough to beat doors that open with the push of a button. But you are right - sliding doors are a NICE TO HAVE, but not a deal breaker.

lint
10-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Hehe just wait until your kids have the ability to open doors by themselves... Besides, it's tough to beat doors that open with the push of a button. But you are right - sliding doors are a NICE TO HAVE, but not a deal breaker.

my older son opens the door for his little brother and hasn't dinged the other car. just have to communicate with them.

but yes, auto doors would be nice

saiyajin
10-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Cos

absolutely love the new Sienna's look awesome if i were to get a minivan... boom done Sienna,

forced_eg
10-26-2011, 10:21 PM
I didnt scroll through the 5 pages so forgive me if this was brought up. I originally was going to pick the GC. But have you ever tried to change the spare tire on one of those bastards? they put it in the stupidest spot (center console area), its shitty to do on the floor, imagine on the grass or mud or something

corsvette
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by forced_eg
I didnt scroll through the 5 pages so forgive me if this was brought up. I originally was going to pick the GC. But have you ever tried to change the spare tire on one of those bastards? they put it in the stupidest spot (center console area), its shitty to do on the floor, imagine on the grass or mud or something

Maunfactures dont think about this kind of stuff sometimes. My Uncle had a ridgeline, the cargo bed was full of landscaping rock when he got a flat. on the Ridgeline the spare is only accessible when the bed is empty, was a royal pain for him to clear all the rock out just to change the flat.

clem24
10-26-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

Maunfactures dont think about this kind of stuff sometimes. My Uncle had a ridgeline, the cargo bed was full of landscaping rock when he got a flat. on the Ridgeline the spare is only accessible when the bed is empty, was a royal pain for him to clear all the rock out just to change the flat.

Actually they do. The reason for that is that I believe the Ridgeline shares a platform with the 2nd gen Odyssey. The spare tire is in dead centre betwen the first row and second row seats. They didn't have a choice. They're not going to create a new platform for a low volume truck.

Same thing with the GC. The stow n' go system forced them to make compromises.

You need to give manufacturers, even Chrysler, some credit. Executives might make bonehead decisions, but the engineers usually get it right, taking into account compromises for features, eating into cabin space, how the structure of the car was designed, and obviously, cost.

Cos
10-27-2011, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by corsvette

That is the nice thing about 1/2 ton trucks. The spare is up underneath the bed so unless you get high sided on the bed you can always get it out.

Thaco
10-27-2011, 08:17 AM
i know you're looking at vans, but i currently have a mazda 6 wagon, and it's everything you want, cheap, good on gas, tons of room behind the back seats (does not have a 3rd row... but you only have 4 people in your family...)... might be a consideration...

clem24
10-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Cos

That is the nice thing about 1/2 ton trucks. The spare is up underneath the bed so unless you get high sided on the bed you can always get it out.

Yeah but the Ridgeline is also based on a car platform. And if it's configured exactly the same as the Odyssey, then the fuel tank is where the spare tire usually is on most trucks (underneath the car, behind the rear axle)...

I second the wagon... I love low cars. They handle better, stop better, look better, etc... My Legacy has served me well. If you need even more room, just get a roof top cargo holder - I can still easily fit into parkades with mine. Can't do that with CUV/SUV/minivan + roof top cargo. I throw a stroller up there and leave the hatch free for dogs, shopping, etc... Plus can take the car on road trips with tons of storage room. But a minivan the Legacy ain't. And with a 3rd on the way, I'll be looking to get into something like a Flex in a year or 2 (wife already drives a minivan so I am in no hurry).

spiceboy
10-27-2011, 12:30 PM
I own the new gen Sienna SE in white. Looooove the van.
I was one of those who vowed never getting a van. See what happens after 2 kids? :thumbsup:

At the time of purchase (new Odyssey didn't come out yet), the Sienna SE was clearly the winner in terms of looks and handling in the minivan world. Besides from the looks, the SE also gets 19" rims and also tuned steering. It is significantly different from the usual Toyota-boat feel on other Sienna models. We also have a SUV but for hauling 2 kids + groceries + occasional grandparents or inlaws, and keeping all passengers and driver comfortable at the same time, a minivan HANDS DOWN. Sliding door is a must for anyone with little kids. The SE also comes with power tailgate which is cherry on top.

I believe Toyota was running some sale earlier and the SE can be had for well under $40K incl. tax. Even when I see the new Odysseys on the road now I don't regret getting the Sienna SE.

BTW, you might have spotted this one around city. It's owned by a user on a Toyota forum who happens to live here.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/popp24/DSC_4966.jpg

K3RMiTdot
10-27-2011, 10:32 PM
i likeeT^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

flipstah
10-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by spiceboy
I own the new gen Sienna SE in white. Looooove the van.
I was one of those who vowed never getting a van. See what happens after 2 kids? :thumbsup:

At the time of purchase (new Odyssey didn't come out yet), the Sienna SE was clearly the winner in terms of looks and handling in the minivan world. Besides from the looks, the SE also gets 19" rims and also tuned steering. It is significantly different from the usual Toyota-boat feel on other Sienna models. We also have a SUV but for hauling 2 kids + groceries + occasional grandparents or inlaws, and keeping all passengers and driver comfortable at the same time, a minivan HANDS DOWN. Sliding door is a must for anyone with little kids. The SE also comes with power tailgate which is cherry on top.

I believe Toyota was running some sale earlier and the SE can be had for well under $40K incl. tax. Even when I see the new Odysseys on the road now I don't regret getting the Sienna SE.

BTW, you might have spotted this one around city. It's owned by a user on a Toyota forum who happens to live here.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a299/popp24/DSC_4966.jpg

That black grille and tinted headlights makes it look sooo meaaan... :drool: :thumbsup:

EDIT: Holy shit, captain's chairs?! SOLD!

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_yqsoCmttMNQ/SzHcnME4C8I/AAAAAAAAARk/-fnNYvyCV2I/067%20Sienna%20Limited%5B3%5D.jpg

ExtraSlow
10-28-2011, 06:01 AM
Those reclining second row chairs are good for short people, but for anyone over about 5'10" (I hear) your feet will hit the back of the front seat, making that feature useless.

I think the second row seats in the Odyssey that slide both fore/aft and left/right are more ballin. Now when you are siting three fat 1%'ers in the second row of your minivan, they can all have ample room for blackberries (worn on the hip of course)

spiceboy
10-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Those captain seats are only available on the top model (Limited) which is more than $50K. The sportier SE doesn't have them.
And yes, they are not suitable for tall people. You will also have to slide the front seats all the way to the front to make room. Definitely a gimmick.

ExtraSlow
01-15-2012, 12:03 PM
Bump. I'm in this boat now, we're getting a mini-van.

While I "could" afford a top of the line Odyssey or Sienna, I really struggle with paying $50k for a van. Clearly the Dodge is value leader, and you can get yourself into the Crew model for around $27k, which has a lot of features.
I don't think the stow-n-go second row really matters to me, I'll have infant seats strapped in that position, so no need to stow the seats for many years. I liked the ride in the GC, Honda was more firm. Maybe that means it'll be more fun to drive? that's what the reviews seem to indicate.

Haven't taken a close look at the Toyota yet, but I will be soon.

Wife "needs" the utility of the van, but isn't excited about giving up her sport compact, so she's demanded that the van be brand new, and have some bells and whistles.

If it's your money, which way do you go?

Toyota Racing
01-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I put money on the sienna ours is 2000KM away from 90000KM and thats an 06 model. Runs like it's brand new.

Aleks
01-15-2012, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Bump. I'm in this boat now, we're getting a mini-van.

While I "could" afford a top of the line Odyssey or Sienna, I really struggle with paying $50k for a van. Clearly the Dodge is value leader, and you can get yourself into the Crew model for around $27k, which has a lot of features.
I don't think the stow-n-go second row really matters to me, I'll have infant seats strapped in that position, so no need to stow the seats for many years. I liked the ride in the GC, Honda was more firm. Maybe that means it'll be more fun to drive? that's what the reviews seem to indicate.

Haven't taken a close look at the Toyota yet, but I will be soon.

Wife "needs" the utility of the van, but isn't excited about giving up her sport compact, so she's demanded that the van be brand new, and have some bells and whistles.

If it's your money, which way do you go?

Test drove the Odyssey EX and Sienna LE AWD. AWD Sienna is the 7 seater whereas the FWD you can have 8 or 7 seats. The 8th seat in the Sienna is useless. Odyssey 8th seat works better as you can slide the outboard seats out 2" each to make room for 3 baby seats in the middle if need be. Also Sienna had only 1 set of anchors/tether in the 3rd row vs Odyssey's 2.

The ride in the Sienna was much softer and agreeable, but Odyssey drove sportier. Sienna felt faster. Finally the Odyssey looks way better inside. Sienna looks and feels cheap. Too many hard plastics. Odyssey has more features like heated cloth seats, massive backup cam (vs a small one in Sienna), auto climate vs manual in lower trims etc. Went by Dodge to look at the GC and didn't really like it. The seats were super flimsy and everything else about it was cheap. (Granted we looked at the SXT version) I guess that's why it's way less money.

If AWD is important Sienna is the one to get now. Otherwise I think we are likely going to get an Odyssey to replace the Forester.

heavyD
01-16-2012, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

If AWD is important Sienna is the one to get now. Otherwise I think we are likely going to get an Odyssey to replace the Forester.

Ha ha ha. Another one bites the dust.:)