PDA

View Full Version : Hand controls

Maxt
10-15-2011, 04:27 PM
I was out looking at Srt8 jeeps and come across this one... I thought speed knobs were illegal? But its obviously been handicap equipped... Government is all worried about people holding their phones/food and some guy with obvious disabilities is driving around with 425hp and hand controls, lol...
Guy obviously couldn't vacuum either, thing was filthy inside.

DeeK
10-16-2011, 08:36 PM
Making fun of the handicapped? Good call. :facepalm:

Obviously you've never seen/used hand controls. Once you are used to them they are NO different than using pedals. Now before you get your panties in a bundle, I'm referring to daily driving, not some track superstar. Obviously the level at which they can perform is totally different. All I'm getting at is that for daily driving they are basically the same.

Now. If he was driving a standard with hand controls, that's a totally different story. Also, the suicide knob is illegal up here in Canada.

So another person bought a car that they will never ever use it's full potential? big deal. I see it all day, every day. Making fun of him/her for it because they are handicapped? Douchebag.

A790
10-16-2011, 08:47 PM
OP just got told.

It's like using a trackball vs. a mouse. It's not rocket science ;)

Maxt
10-16-2011, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by DeeK
Making fun of the handicapped? Good call. :facepalm:

Obviously you've never seen/used hand controls. Once you are used to them they are NO different than using pedals. Now before you get your panties in a bundle, I'm referring to daily driving, not some track superstar. Obviously the level at which they can perform is totally different. All I'm getting at is that for daily driving they are basically the same.

Now. If he was driving a standard with hand controls, that's a totally different story. Also, the suicide knob is illegal up here in Canada.

So another person bought a car that they will never ever use it's full potential? big deal. I see it all day, every day. Making fun of him/her for it because they are handicapped? Douchebag.
Ohh calm down drama queen... Not making fun of the guy at all, making fun of the new silly traffic law...yes I have seen vehicles with hand controls before, but its usually pretty mundane rides , like minivans, aztec's etc, to see it in such a potent vehicle was a shocker.. I was actually impressed that someone would do that to an SRT8.. And I was surprised also to see the interior of such a relatively high end vehicle in such a pig sty state...
Looks like the "brodie knob" is perfectly legal if you have a medical exemption.

Mar
10-16-2011, 09:36 PM
I don't see how he was making fun of anyone.

georgemagana
10-16-2011, 11:20 PM
I saw a guy driving like 12 seconds car at race city with hand controls last year!

Maxt
10-17-2011, 03:41 AM
The distracted driving law, was apparently to get peoples hands back on the wheel, since it really doesnt stop people from talking. The stupid thing, how many exemptions are they going to have to make to it? The law ends up so diluted what makes a commercial driver with a CB, a cop, a handicapped person with hand controls or a taxi driver with fare computer any more or less capable than Joe Schmoe with his mug of coffee that gets ticket for that or holding his phone. Thats what I see as ridiculous about the law, its like they really didn't think about reality out there on the road at all. Its going to be interesting to see if that law can survive.

16hypen3sp
05-10-2016, 03:42 AM
Bumping because I'm curious about the Brodie knob (suicide knob).

Can anybody point me to a piece of legislation that specifically bans Brodie knobs? I've looked into it but can't seem to find a solid answer.

speedog
05-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
Bumping because I'm curious about the Brodie knob (suicide knob).

Can anybody point me to a piece of legislation that specifically bans Brodie knobs? I've looked into it but can't seem to find a solid answer.

I have to agree with you because I was recently trying to figure out the legality of them recently and I also could not find anything that declared them illegal in Alberta. Remember driving a swather in the 70's that had one and also a grain truck as well, they were quite useful in the correct applications.

M.alex
05-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Still better than those people who use their palm on the horn to steer the car

sputnik
05-10-2016, 11:54 AM
BOo_0MhjldQ

16hypen3sp
05-10-2016, 06:48 PM
I searched the Vehicle Equip Reg in AB, and searched thru some Transport Canada regs but couldn't find anything on it.

Thaco
05-10-2016, 08:36 PM
i am pretty sure i know whose truck this is, he's a paraplegic, so needs 1 hand for throttle and brake and one for steering. really nice guy if its the same guy, never a bad word to say about him, it is a super nice rig.