PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons To Own A JBody

Z_Fan
01-25-2004, 01:16 PM
This really comes out of the 'other' thread that got closed about Cavalier drivers. It's meant to be a joke, so relax. Think of something good to add, and perhaps we can make a very good 'top ten' list.

Top 10 Reasons To Own Jbodies...

10. You never spend money washing it.
09. You can park it on the road all year round - no garage required.
08. It’s easy to pass it off as your “grammas” car!
07. You can put 60 2’x 4’ x 8’ studs in it with all doors and windows shut.
06. You don’t ever have to race anyone. You know you’ll lose.
05. You never have to lock it. Even with a ‘steal me’ sticker on it.
04. No one ever asks your ¼ mile time.
03. Door dings now become a competition, not an annoyance.
02. A crash writing it off makes you smirk, not cringe.
01. When you see another one on the road, you don’t have to wave or honk.

Ok, feel free to add your own top 10!

LOL

1badPT
01-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Why the hate for j-bodies?
click here (http://videos.jaxss.com/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=1slowcavalier vs everybody.wmv&directory=Street Racing&)

sandman
01-25-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
would u like that categorized or in alphabetical order?

xkon
01-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by sandman

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ZorroAMG
01-25-2004, 02:36 PM
Ok, enough with the J-body threads...isn't there a whole forum dedicated to the species??

ryder_23
01-25-2004, 02:51 PM
click here (http://videos.jaxss.com/index.php?action=downloadfile&filename=1slowcavalier vs everybody.wmv&directory=Street Racing&)

most of those races lookd like ricer fly-by's....only the audi tt one looked real...

1badPT
01-25-2004, 03:16 PM
actually the person driving is a regular at the jaxracing forums:
http://www.jaxss.com/forums/index.php?showuser=88

They were all true races as opposed to flying by unsuspecting drivers in cool cars. The car is clearly not stock, I just posted it to show there's potential in any car. Mostly because of #6. Most of the top 10 was hate instead of humour IMO. #2 and 1 I thought were funny though :tongue:

Z_Fan
01-25-2004, 03:59 PM
Mostly because of #6. Most of the top 10 was hate instead of humour IMO. #2 and 1 I thought were funny though :tongue:

The whole list is based on my experience with my 2002 Cavalier. Some of it might not be funny, but it's not all hate either. I respect the car for what it is, and the top 10 is just another point of view about these cars. (My point of view) Very glad to hear you liked #2 and #1.

#1 is kind of funny. Reminds of that Honda commercial with the riced up Honda passing the guy in the bone stock Honda, and giving the wave to him as an 'owner'. LOL! This is so real it's funny just thinking about it.

#6 is pretty true for me. You have to just shake your head and go WTF? Why would you race with a bone stock Cavalier? A Moped might whoop you! You gotta wonder right? How embarassing would that be?

#10, admittably, is not true. I have owned my Cavalier for two years now. And I admit, I washed it once last year. But I swear, that's it! :rolleyes:

Oh, and about "Door Dings" becoming a competition, that is strictly humour. I respect my cars (except the Cavalier) but would never ever door ding another persons car with intent. *BUT* it wouldn't bother me a whole bunch to have my Cavalier door dinged a little if you know what I mean. Now, if someone dings my Twin Turbo or my 350z, I might get a little excited...

5.9 R/T
01-25-2004, 05:39 PM
Just out of curiosity what is the point of this thread? :dunno: The other thread was closed so can't you just let it go? Get a life and go spank it over your 'z' cars and stop wasting bandwidth.

88CRX
01-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Z_Fan

02. A crash writing it off makes you smirk, not cringe.

:rofl: :rofl:

made me spill my drink :D

Seanith
01-25-2004, 06:38 PM
I have a good one.

- When you buy one, you can avoid the embarrasing situation of having to come out of the closet to your parents. The car speaks volumes :D

Z_Fan
01-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Tough crowd.

sandman
01-25-2004, 09:25 PM
lol, i loved it
encore!!!

dasdin
01-26-2004, 01:25 AM
J bodies rule.

rc2002
01-26-2004, 09:53 AM
I'm with Z_Fan. I owned a J-body before and even though it's reliable and fun to drive, the list is still pretty true. Sometimes I wouldn't wash mine for 6 months and it didn't even bother me!

RiceCake
01-26-2004, 10:16 AM
:thumbsup: There's got to be more around here....

Nightstalker
01-27-2004, 03:31 AM
I am known for making a lot of fun of the Jbodies.. And from my personal experiance they kind of deserve it. My civic was hit this fall.. it took me a week to get my rental Jbody to burn oil.. and I didn't drive it any different then my 10 year old civic..

But saying that what can you expect for just over 10,000..

There are some cool ones around though and I like the cavi more then the sunfire..

Davan
01-27-2004, 11:29 AM
I got rid of my J-body last November. It gave me a few problems here and there, and was certainly not even close to the best built car I've ever had. It was actually quite cheaply put together.

That being said, it was a fun car to drive. Decent power, for what it was. I ran a 16 flat with a warm air intake and a stripped interior. For the same price and the same mods, I don't believe there are many other new cars that could do the same at this elevation.

And with THAT being said, I love the list, Z_Fan. :thumbsup: :D

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 01:17 PM
140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

:dunno:
you decide

DJ Lazy
01-27-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide

thats a Civic man... Pick like any other import... LOL.. my integra had 140 and I paid 8 grand... :D

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 01:59 PM
im saying dollar for dollar for a NEW car

1badPT
01-27-2004, 02:15 PM
)Yeah how much was the teg new? :tongue:

And even if you don't get the Z24, you still get 140HP. The jbodies all get the ecotec engine which puts out 140HP, which means comparing it to the SI, you can get an even lower price and still have the HP. The point is every car has its advantages.

PS

Sunfires > Cavaliers IMO :eek:

As long as you get the right body kit (and its the kit I like, NOT the paint job :tongue: ). Not crazy about the wing either.

Z_Fan
01-27-2004, 03:02 PM
Interesting information with regards to the HP versus $$.

I honestly would never try to convince anyone that the Cavalier / Sunfire vehicles are great cars. But, strictly economically speaking, they do have real value to offer the average consumer. I guess that's why they sell so many of these vehicles right?

Glad some of you see some humour in the list. It's not *THAT* funny, but if it makes you crack a smile anywhere on the count down, it did its job.

Right now, I am upholding #10 on the list. My Cavalier is so dirty, it could have been used in that old Jeep commerical where they show you all the colors available, and it's all the same thing covered in light brown (dried) mud! Looks just like my car now!

DJ Lazy
01-27-2004, 03:19 PM
)Yeah how much was the teg new? :tongue:

And even if you don't get the Z24, you still get 140HP. The jbodies all get the ecotec engine which puts out 140HP, which means comparing it to the SI, you can get an even lower price and still have the HP. The point is every car has its advantages.

PS

Sunfires > Cavaliers IMO :eek:

As long as you get the right body kit (and its the kit I like, NOT the paint job :tongue: ). Not crazy about the wing either.

Thats the thing though.. you have to buy a kit for those jbodies for them to look good... Imports look good from the factory for the most part.. there is the exception... Plus you are are paying for quality and longjevity (sp) with imports...

jdmakkord
01-27-2004, 03:24 PM
140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide

I'll take the civic:D

1badPT
01-27-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy

Thats the thing though.. you have to buy a kit for those jbodies for them to look good... Imports look good from the factory for the most part.. there is the exception... Plus you are are paying for quality and longjevity (sp) with imports...

That's not entirely true. Granted, jbodies are probably the domestics worst examples of style. That said, most imports are lacking in the style department when compared to most of other domestics.

Quality perhaps, but you are also comparing cars that are in different classes. If you were to compare cars that were in the same class, you'd find that there really isn't that much difference between the domestics and the imports anymore. Most imports don't even have anything that competes with the jbodies because they refuse to make cars that cheap, so its hard to do a fair comparison between jbodies and imports.

Longevity has just as much to do with the driver as it does the car itself. A well maintained car will last a long time whether its a domestic or import.

But yeah its just proof that each car has its advantages - jbodies its mostly a price advantage, but with the new ecotec engine it gets a power and possibly tuning advantage.

ZorroAMG
01-27-2004, 04:22 PM
We ARE talking about japanese imports right? Cause, umm....german cars are imports too...and I think they have a BIT of style compared to Domestic and Japanese....

lude_conduct
01-27-2004, 04:36 PM
I would say that the average japanese import does not look that good from the factory. They all look vanilla. Example: Toyota's entire lineup. I'm not saying american cars look the best, but the japanese aren't the ones to look to for style.

GTS Jeff
01-27-2004, 04:38 PM
140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide
worth nothing after 2 years
z24 cav
$22,000

worth at least 75% after 2 years
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide

1badPT
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by lude_conduct
I would say that the average japanese import does not look that good from the factory. They all look vanilla. Example: Toyota's entire lineup. I'm not saying american cars look the best, but the japanese aren't the ones to look to for style.
Exactly. There are exceptions of course - I think the Celica is a good looking Toyota, and I think the 350Z is a fantastically styled car.

Most euro imports look classy, although there is a brand that I feel is a little plain looking.

Most domestics (aside from Jbodies) IMO have great styling.

legendboy
01-27-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by sandman

:rofl:

140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide

What your car is worth after 2 years:

Cavalier $9000

Civic $15900

you decide

Sounds like you may have a case of j-body denial too, same goes for saturns ;)

Deetz
01-27-2004, 04:54 PM
Also consder looking at power to weight ratios rather than just engine output. I would have to say that a Honda does carry a much higher resale than the average car out there. Everyone likes different things, its what makes life interesting.

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 05:04 PM
okay, so all i gotta say is good luck finding parts for a 10 year old import ;) and if you do find it, they usually hafta ship it in from japan. $$$. i only like the money symbol when its on my pay cheque, not my bill.

edit: and i never said a domestic was better than import

to each their own. fuck i used to drive an integra.

i like the way 1batpt put it, is every car can be fast if done right. and car maintenence is a HUGE part about the life of a car, not where it came from.

legendboy
01-27-2004, 05:06 PM
okay, so all i gotta say is good luck finding parts for a 10 year old import ;) and if you do find it, they usually hafta ship it in from japan. $$$. i only like the money symbol when its on my pay cheque, not my bill.

wrong. lots of new and used parts floating around. and there no more expensive on average than gm parts

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

wrong. lots of new and used parts floating around. and there no more expensive on average than gm parts

your kidding right?

would you rather pay the bill to replace the clutch on my 89 integra or my 97 saturn? i promise you youd rather pay for the saturn.

legendboy
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
so your making your case on 1 part?

1badPT
01-27-2004, 05:08 PM
Resale after 2 years is only going to be an issue if you are reselling early or leasing. If you typically drive a car for 5 years or drive them into the ground, resale won't be important. If you buy used, then it means you can pick up a domestic for a steal.

Yes it really depends on what you're after in a car, and everyone is going to be different.

Deetz
01-27-2004, 05:10 PM
I can get a clutch for an 89 Integra for $179 and about $200 labour. I don't think thats bad, as i use one of these cars for a winter beater.

three.eighteen.
01-27-2004, 05:13 PM
i would say j-bodies have respectable output, the styling is meh...but the worst is the lack of individuality associated with the car, and its ancient suspension

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
I can get a clutch for an 89 Integra for $179 and about $200 labour. I don't think thats bad, as i use one of these cars for a winter beater.

i notice it says sponser... so where ya work to get that good of a deal? ;)

but yes as eighteenth said bloody pain in the ass part with domestics is everybody has one

Kona9
01-27-2004, 05:39 PM
girlfriends 96 sunfire= 132000 km
my 96 Si coupe = 158000 km

girlfriends sunfire= squeaks rattles rides like a tank sounds like
a dieing goose when accelerating

my 96 Si coupe = even though lowered a bit, it does none of the
above. and yes my exhaust is bone stock.

my roomates 97 sunfire makes the same noises my
girlfriends car does. I am expecting to see an RSX-S in
his parking stall soon. As for the styling...ever notice that a
sunfire looks like a pregnant frog from the back?

legendboy
01-27-2004, 05:46 PM
but yes as eighteenth said bloody pain in the ass part with domestics is everybody has one

and that they are generaly peices of shit :whocares:

my gf has a cavalier, i have spent more time under the hood of that car than under the hood of my turbo integra

Deetz
01-27-2004, 05:52 PM

i notice it says sponser... so where ya work to get that good of a deal? ;)

I am a sponser, and the price i quoted is what i can provide as a selling price to the public for an 86-89 Integra. In fact, if needed, I can get clutch assemblies for most cars import or domestic for prices under the $249 mark. I find on a lot of cars these days, yes even older imports, prices have really come down on many replacement parts over the past 5-6 years. I also notice that the higher performance lines for the most part are closing the gap price wise regardless of import or domestic. (i'm talking in general, of course there are exceptions)

Deetz

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Deetz

I am a sponser, and the price i quoted is what i can provide as a selling price to the public for an 86-89 Integra. In fact, if needed, I can get clutch assemblies for most cars import or domestic for prices under the $249 mark. I find on a lot of cars these days, yes even older imports, prices have really come down on many replacement parts over the past 5-6 years. I also notice that the higher performance lines for the most part are closing the gap price wise regardless of import or domestic. (i'm talking in general, of course there are exceptions)

Deetz

your slowly becomin my best friend, pm with your shop :D which sponser are you from? thx!

:)

frostyda9
01-27-2004, 11:17 PM
J-body trashing threads are lame. We all know they're badly built, fall apart and aren't worth shit after 4 years, but they are a decent cheap car. My old Z-24 had 180 ft-lb stock and wasn't bad to rip around in.

403Gemini
01-27-2004, 11:58 PM
bang for buck like said, they are great for first 4-5 years. decent hp, easy on gas. not to shabby.

for longevity, i would prefer a civic myself.

way i see it, id probably lease a sunfire/cavalier

nosegrindR
01-28-2004, 12:37 AM
140 @5600
150 @4000
z24 cav
$22,000

127@6300
114@4800
honda civic si
$22,000

you decide

i'll take neither thank you very much

Seanith
01-28-2004, 02:09 PM

your slowly becomin my best friend, pm with your shop :D which sponser are you from? thx!

Dude if you can't figure out what shop hes representing, I don't know whats wrong with you :rolleyes:

CRX-R
01-28-2004, 02:29 PM

You're an idiot, this is one of the stupidist statements on this thread and there are quite a few to choose from!! I've been building an '88 CRX... Incase you're not quite there in school yet... that's 16 years old. The worst part I had to buy was a 'single camshaft sprocket bolt' that had to come in from Vancouver and was here the next day. Granted if you're looking for something that's not replaced everyday and you're deadset on getting OEM. Then it may be a few days from wherever. But that's no different from your precious saturn. My mother drives a 2000 SL2 and the cable to release her gas door broke in the cold a few weeks ago... with NO other way to open it (no back-up) I had to order a new cable and door attachment from Saturn... 2 and 1/2 weeks... STILL WAITING for it to get to town...

CRX-R
01-28-2004, 03:24 PM

Seriously.. take 5 seconds to think about what you're posting before you hit 'submit reply' :rolleyes:

403Gemini
01-28-2004, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CRX-R

You're an idiot, this is one of the stupidist statements on this thread and there are quite a few to choose from!! I've been building an '88 CRX... Incase you're not quite there in school yet... that's 16 years old. The worst part I had to buy was a 'single camshaft sprocket bolt' that had to come in from Vancouver and was here the next day. Granted if you're looking for something that's not replaced everyday and you're deadset on getting OEM. Then it may be a few days from wherever. But that's no different from your precious saturn. My mother drives a 2000 SL2 and the cable to release her gas door broke in the cold a few weeks ago... with NO other way to open it (no back-up) I had to order a new cable and door attachment from Saturn... 2 and 1/2 weeks... STILL WAITING for it to get to town...

who shit in your corn flakes? fuck your pissy today, go back to bed

reason why its easier to get crx parts is, oh oh... go on canada trader and look how many are for sale, fuck go into our forum and see how many are for sale. now look for a 1st gen integra... right... not to many around hey? certain parts are deadly hard to find (for all vehicles) a 80's civic (forget which year exactally) has a distributor which is unlike ANY other civic, and you gotta order from japan.

just saying domestics are GENERALLY cheaper to fix than a import. it all of course depends on which engine your lookin at too. a jbodies water pump is on the bottom of the engine i believe so its a shit load for labor costs. shit like that. every car is different.

edit: and about my other post, i dont look at sig's very often ;)