PDA

View Full Version : In-car Bluetooth

shakalaka
10-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Just wondering if there is a way to get an in-car Bluetooth installed in a car that doesn't come with one. So that it works like the inbuilt ones where you connect your phone via Bluetooth and talk through car speakers etc

TE4MFaint
10-17-2011, 10:32 PM
Yes. You will want to look at the Parrot pieces available. You can get them installed through factory deck's and they use an external mic and play through the factory speakers.

Be prepared to spend some money though as you'll need the piece + the wiring for whatever vehicle you have.

A790
10-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
Just wondering if there is a way to get an in-car Bluetooth installed in a car that doesn't come with one. So that it works like the inbuilt ones where you connect your phone via Bluetooth and talk through car speakers etc
A lot of aftermarket head units have this feature now. The last one I had installed put a small mic right above my head and integrated everything seamlessly. It actually sounded better than the factory bluetooth setup in my Forte.

Stupid Kia :( hahaha

imhungry
10-17-2011, 10:44 PM
I saw some systems that sync up to your car's speakers/stereo for sale at Best Buy, but they are pretty expensive.

I've also looked at ones that connect via FM transmitter, but they weren't for me as you couldn't listen to FM radio and have the transmitter transmit calls at the same time but only listen to your phone music.

So I went out and bought a simple sun visor clipped speaker bluetooth. Works relatively well.

shakalaka
10-17-2011, 10:59 PM
Thinking of getting this one and installed locally. Seems to do pretty much everything.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/PIONEER-AVIC-X930BT-NEW-6-1-TOUCHSCREEN-MONITOR-NAVIGATION-RECEIVER-AVICX930BT-/370551155202?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564691ea02#shId

It's bloody $1000 at Bestbuy, might as well get it online.

sillysod
10-18-2011, 08:12 AM
AVIC's are really nice, you won't be dissapointed.

JRSC00LUDE
10-18-2011, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by A790

A lot of aftermarket head units have this feature now. The last one I had installed put a small mic right above my head and integrated everything seamlessly. It actually sounded better than the factory bluetooth setup in my Forte.

Stupid Kia :( hahaha

The best quality sounding ones I have owner/used have been out of the pioneer premier line.

spike98
10-18-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a Parrot Asteroid in my car as we speak. I am very pleased with it so far and the fact that it has Android is a plus for me. Everything works perfect. I share the internet via bluetooth with the hardware.

It has apps for speed cams, maps, internet radio, and plays all types of digital media with full ipod control as well. Pretty slick unit.

The only downside to me so far is that the maps app is lacking turn by turn directions. But apparently there is going to be new apps released to solve this.

The bluetooth portion of it is perfect and does voice commands much like siri with ios5

Kloubek
10-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I have some inexpensive JVC deck which uses bluetooth fairly flawlessly. They are certainly available - and probably for the same price or less than you'd pay to get your stock setup converted.

shakalaka
10-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I might have to check out this Parrot thing. I have no idea what it is.

TE4MFaint
10-18-2011, 04:51 PM
Basically all the Parrot thing is a module that goes inline from your factory deck to your speakers and adds a mute wire, so when a phonecall comes through, it mutes the speakers down & you'll hear the phone ringing through your speakers.

They work very well actually. Installed one last week into a Porsche and worked flawless.

Kg810
10-20-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by spike98
I have a Parrot Asteroid in my car as we speak. I am very pleased with it so far and the fact that it has Android is a plus for me. Everything works perfect. I share the internet via bluetooth with the hardware.

It has apps for speed cams, maps, internet radio, and plays all types of digital media with full ipod control as well. Pretty slick unit.

The only downside to me so far is that the maps app is lacking turn by turn directions. But apparently there is going to be new apps released to solve this.

The bluetooth portion of it is perfect and does voice commands much like siri with ios5

Whoa wait, I wasn't aware the Asteroid was out.

Where did you pick it up and for how much?

*PM'd you instead

01RedDX
10-20-2011, 11:44 AM

shakalaka
10-20-2011, 12:06 PM
So I just got back from Visions and was asking about the install and all. I already have two screens in the car, a double din and a flip out. The new bluetooth deck would be replacing the flip out, so I was asking him about the model I posted above. He said that since the other screen is Alpine, I should stick with the new deck being Alpine as well otherwise the two might not work well together.

What I do is, if I want to watch a video I just select the back one to play the video the flip out goes in. So I want to make sure that the new deck has that option for me to play my videos in the rear and not the front one.

The only thing is Alpine is around $1400 compared to Pioneer which was $1000. And for install he was telling me around $350 with all the parts and labour including ipod cable and the cost of running it to my centre console since Z's don't have gloveboxes.

What do you guys think?

spike98
10-20-2011, 12:35 PM
He said that since the other screen is Alpine, I should stick with the new deck being Alpine as well otherwise the two might not work well together.

Upsell much? I would stick with the pioneer and tell him he is an idiot. Say something about his mom while your at it.

Man i hate salesmen

shakalaka
10-20-2011, 12:50 PM
Hehe

That's what I have been thinking really. All the new deck requires is a Video output. It wouldn't matter what bloody brand it is as long as it has that, since the older screen can hook up to it's video output connection. And all brands have exact same one's.

I looked at the deck he was recommending instead (Alpine) it's freaking $400 more. What a dick. For some reason even the $350 he quoted for the installation, seems a bit much.

spike98
10-20-2011, 01:03 PM
Hehe

That's what I have been thinking really. All the new deck requires is a Video output. It wouldn't matter what bloody brand it is as long as it has that, since the older screen can hook up to it's video output connection. And all brands have exact same one's.

I looked at the deck he was recommending instead (Alpine) it's freaking $400 more. What a dick. For some reason even the $350 he quoted for the installation, seems a bit much.

It really depends on the vehicle. I know to get a +12v ignition signal to a deck in a newer VW the PAC can-bus adapter is $180....yes....$180! It can be bought on-line for around $100 shipped. OR a $10 add a circuit from can tire can get you an ign signal from the fuse panel.

If it was me, i would save the money and do it myself. Check out the forums for your car and find the dash kit that fits the best (some suck) and get the appropriate harness and module (if needed) and have at er.

www.the12volt.com is your friend and will tell you the wire colours and locations for everything you need.

Save $750 by going with the pioneer and doing it yourself.

shakalaka
10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
If I even had an ounce of a clue, I would have deff. given it a shot. But when it comes to all this crap, I literally would be sitting there like a deer in front of headlights. It get's complicated where I have to connect the other screen and the amp and subs. I wouldn't even know how to open the damn center console to begin with. lol

Trust me when I say I suck at these sort of practical projects. Especially if they have something to do with electronics.

Are there any other car audio shops, perhaps I'll ask around and see how much a couple of them say it would be to install this thing in my current set up. I know now what Visions (NE) quoted. Even though the guy calculated it with the Alpine deck, I am sure it'll be more or less the same with the Pioneer one. He was saying something about the ipod cable being expensive and extra $60 since it can't be ran into the glovebox.

spike98
10-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Order all the parts yourself and get them to do it if you aren't comfortable. Should save you $100 right there.

I am not quite sure i understand the ipod cable thing however. 99% of the decks come with an ipod connection cable. Maybe he is talking about labour to run the cable? If so that is a rip off and should be included in the labour for the deck.

clem24
10-20-2011, 02:56 PM
I looked into the Parrot option too but it was just too damn pricey, especially if someone else does the install. So I said fuck it and ended up with one of these.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=47962&vpn=HF-510&manufacture=NOKIA

Goes onto your visor or windshield (where I have it so it's directly at eye level). Can download your phone book and has a display for caller ID as well. Works great! Only needs to be charged once a month. Also was only $30 at NCIX for the longest time.

TE4MFaint
10-20-2011, 03:20 PM

roll_over
10-20-2011, 03:47 PM
$1400 did you even try bartering? Visions was always pretty good for price matching. The Alpine unit stops movies,dvds,radio,everything when you get a phone call I dont know if you care but just so you are aware of it.

shakalaka
10-20-2011, 04:45 PM
I am thinking of going with the Pioneer unit to be honest. It's cheaper for one and does everything. I am not buying into the guy's crap about Alpine should be better cause my other screen is alpine. All the other screen needs is a TV out from the new deck and the Pioneer one has that. I just can't see how and why there should be any problems.

I am going to try and find another place where I can get a quote for installation. If you guys have any recommendations, please throw them my way.

Thanks