PDA

View Full Version : Passionate about MWD

wj0202
10-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Recent UofA petroleum engineering graduate seeking a field MWD position, no experience, applied everywhere, no response! Anyone have good advices for me! I appreciate! Million thanks in advance!

adamc
10-18-2011, 05:21 PM
get some rig experience while you wait.

DRKM
10-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by wj0202
Recent UofA petroleum engineering graduate seeking a field MWD position, no experience, applied everywhere, no response! Anyone have good advices for me! I appreciate! Million thanks in advance!

Just wait. They are going to be needing some warm bodies come fall.

The money is good but damn it can be boring as hell.

Aerobat
10-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Passionate about watching TV...this job is perfect!

01RedDX
10-18-2011, 10:19 PM

Aerobat
10-18-2011, 10:33 PM
If I spent that long in school id aim a little higher

broken_legs
10-18-2011, 11:45 PM
lol at the title of this thread :rofl:

lasimmon
10-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Halliburton is hiring. Might be looking for experianced guys though. I interviewed with them a couple weeks ago.

Penguin_Racecar
10-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Sent you a PM.

SJW
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Go work offshore doing MWD the food is lower grade than what prisoners eat.

CompletelyNumb
10-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Petro Eng and you want to MWD? Damn man.

wj0202
10-19-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for replying, guys! Well, I guess it's a little hard to get started without any intern/summer field experience. But I like to get into the field, see how things really going on out there, and advance from there!

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Petro Eng and you want to MWD? Damn man.

wj0202
10-19-2011, 12:44 PM
Replied your PM, thanks a lot!

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar
Sent you a PM.

DRKM
10-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks for replying, guys! Well, I guess it's a little hard to get started without any intern/summer field experience. But I like to get into the field, see how things really going on out there, and advance from there!

There is some truth to this. At my company everyone in R&D goes out to the field for beta testing and to check out what is going on. We also have a direct line with the techs/operators.

But what others have told me is that they wish that there engineers had any kind of field experience.

A large part of field work is what you make of it. If you choose to sit in your shack all day then so be it, most guys on site are friendly and open to questions.

Penguin_Racecar
10-20-2011, 04:12 AM
Replied your PM, thanks a lot!

Haven't received your PM in my inbox. Send again?

HarryB
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
I was contemplating leaving Frac Engineer position with Halliburton to go MWD...but the schedule (15/6) and sporadic work hours is holding me back.

Ive wanted to go into Drilling/ MWD when I graduated 2 years ago also from Pet Engg from U of A...did a year of Operator work as QC with Halliburton cbecause no one seemed to be hiring and now working as an engineer with them.

wj0202
10-22-2011, 06:30 PM
So GOOD to hear from an alumni, send you a PM.

Originally posted by HarryB
I was contemplating leaving Frac Engineer position with Halliburton to go MWD...but the schedule (15/6) and sporadic work hours is holding me back.

Ive wanted to go into Drilling/ MWD when I graduated 2 years ago also from Pet Engg from U of A...did a year of Operator work as QC with Halliburton cbecause no one seemed to be hiring and now working as an engineer with them.

wj0202
10-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Re-send a PM to you! Thanks again! ^ _ ^

Originally posted by Penguin_Racecar

Haven't received your PM in my inbox. Send again?

SKR
10-23-2011, 08:36 PM
I'm not saying I'm above MWDing, I even tried to get into it not that long ago. I'm just wondering why if you're qualified for a broad range of jobs, you've got your heart set on MWD?

You should be able to get into many other services, maybe not any better or worse than MWD, so why close yourself off? If I was you I'd at least consider mud, wireline, completion tools, production, testing, etc. Any of those would be suitable for a new grad.

Go talk to Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford and Baker Hughes, and ask them if they have anything that you'd fit into. Bang away at the best option for a year or so, and then see what the company has for other opportunities.

I guess maybe some people's life long dream is to be an MWD hand, but I can't imagine that taking Petroleum Engineering is the short route to that goal.

SJW
10-24-2011, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by SKR
I'm not saying I'm above MWDing, I even tried to get into it not that long ago. I'm just wondering why if you're qualified for a broad range of jobs, you've got your heart set on MWD?

You should be able to get into many other services, maybe not any better or worse than MWD, so why close yourself off? If I was you I'd at least consider mud, wireline, completion tools, production, testing, etc. Any of those would be suitable for a new grad.

Go talk to Halliburton, Schlumberger, Weatherford and Baker Hughes, and ask them if they have anything that you'd fit into. Bang away at the best option for a year or so, and then see what the company has for other opportunities.

I guess maybe some people's life long dream is to be an MWD hand, but I can't imagine that taking Petroleum Engineering is the short route to that goal.

Exactly. Sometimes I figure at my company if you're capable of fogging a mirror then you are hireable.