PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Furnace needs Permit?

ZenOps
10-18-2011, 02:44 PM
Help.

Does anyone know if it is required by the City of Calgary to re-apply for a gas permit after replacing a furnace and hot water tank?

Seems redundant to me if I can avoid it.

Darell_n
10-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Permits are a conspiracy. Don't bother with it.

AndyL
10-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes and no...

IF your just replacing - no changes to duct/electrical/gas/exhaust/intake - your fine... but if you have to make any modifications - yes you need permits...

Almost always need a permit on a furnace, all the new ones need a fresh air intake added. Calgary.ca has an faq on this if I recall...

Nufy
10-19-2011, 07:32 AM
I don't know about a permit but when I had my new one installed last year it had to pass City inspection.

Whether the contractor needed a permit or not I dunno.

If it matters I had my new furnace / hot water tank installed through Enmax.

adidas
10-19-2011, 08:53 AM
311 will get you the fastest and accurate answer.

calgary.ca will also provide you with the answer, but the new city website is hard to navigate.

Stunt66
10-19-2011, 09:32 AM
I had a furnace replaced last year and it still had to be inspected by the city. It was a straight replacement to my knowledge because the guy never mentioned any custom fab work.

Porsche_55
10-21-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by AndyL
Yes and no...

IF your just replacing - no changes to duct/electrical/gas/exhaust/intake - your fine... but if you have to make any modifications - yes you need permits...

Almost always need a permit on a furnace, all the new ones need a fresh air intake added. Calgary.ca has an faq on this if I recall...

WOW I love how everyone know shit all and give bad info. I work at the city of calgary, in Development and Building Apporvals (same department that would issue the pemit.

YOU NEED A PERMIT. Do you think its smart to have an inspector come and see that the gas line is ran correct. Its not like we are bad guys at the City, we want people to be safe.

Call 2685311 ask to talk to an inspector.