PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying a used Porsche?

igordj
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Anyone here have experiences with porsches from family members or other relatives?

Im looking to get a 2006 997 Carrera
but also found 996 Turbos for around the same price.

I know how expensive German cars can be with maintenance, so Im aware of that, but since i haven't driven a porsche or know anyone who currently owns one, what are some things I should look for.

Should I save up even more, and go newer?
Or is it not worth the extra 20k?

Any help is appreciated.

you&me
10-18-2011, 07:04 PM
There was another thread about this recently, so a search could help you.

Personally, I far prefer a "S" 997 over the 996TT, but I know plenty who feel the oposite, so I'd recommend you drive both and see for yourself.

Porsches are like any other car - do your due diligence, buy the best example you can afford (ensure that you really can afford one) and you won't have any extraordinary maintenance costs. Cheap out on a crappy example and you'll pay for it down the road.

The 991 is arriving early next year, with a large increase in pricing. Most think this will insulate the 997s against the usual depreciation that affects most cars immediately after a new version is released. With the prices of early 997s where they are, I'd say depreciation is a fairly minor concern.

The .2 cars are a step up, but not nearly as big of a leap from 996 ->997 and not really worth a huge premium. Again, buy the best one in your budget... A great 06 is better than a questionable 09...

igordj
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the help. Sorry im not my self today and feel really sick so I totally forgot about searching for it.

Im doing my research a year ahead of time (next summer i will be buying) so I guess ill have a lot of time to study.

Just wanted to see if like porsches had a certain car to stat away from, like a 1992 BMW 318 or what ever the car was that wasnt good.

you&me
10-18-2011, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by igordj
Thanks for the help. Sorry im not my self today and feel really sick so I totally forgot about searching for it.

Im doing my research a year ahead of time (next summer i will be buying) so I guess ill have a lot of time to study.

Just wanted to see if like porsches had a certain car to stat away from, like a 1992 BMW 318 or what ever the car was that wasnt good.

Not with the cars you're looking at. RMS is a biggie, but most have been sorted by now and it was much more common in the 996s, though not unheard of in the early 997s. Like I said, most have likely had this addressed.

Otherwise, nothing like a specific model to avoid. Targa tops can be troublesome and expensive to fix as they get older, but I haven't heard much about the tops in the 997s. It's a stunning feature...

M.alex
10-18-2011, 08:49 PM
Check to see if it has an LS V8 in it. If it doesn't, it's a pass.

DeeK
10-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Verify that it is infact a legitimate porsche. With all those JDM and domestics floating around, one can never be too careful. At least if it sounds European, it's probably close enough.

I also recommend that if you want to drive it, make sure it has an engine. Otherwise, I suggest you look into storage insurance. It may be the cheaper way to go if you are going to put it in your garage and admire it.

4 wheels is essential, at least till you get it to your garage. Then jack stands may be a cheaper alternative.

soloracer
10-19-2011, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by M.alex
Check to see if it has an LS V8 in it. If it doesn't, it's passing you.

Fixed it for you.......

soloracer
10-19-2011, 01:38 PM
As for the original question, it depends upon what you are looking for. Generally speaking a newer car should be more refined, more reliable and have more technology. However, you have to decide what is more important to you. If you want a chassis that is easily modified for big HP go with the 996TT. If you don't plan to modify and are happy with 400 hp go with the 997 Carrera.

PS: The RMS problems in the 996 series mainly applied to the 3.4 engines. The 996TT has the tried and true 3.6 engine.

Maxt
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
The rule of thumb for 996's seems to be let Soloracer buy it firsts. :).

m10-power
10-22-2011, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by Maxt
The rule of thumb for 996's seems to be let Soloracer buy it firsts. :).

I agree, especially after he spends a bunch of money modding his new one only to find out the previous one make more power.

M.alex
10-22-2011, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by m10-power

I agree, especially after he spends a bunch of money modding his new one only to find out the previous one make more power.

:rofl:

igordj
10-23-2011, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the help guys.

i will most likely be looking at a 997 Carrera 4S
unless I can get a late 996 Turbo (a 2004 nothing older)
The 997 will probs be a 2006 or 2007, anything higher is over my budget, and I dont want to get a 2005, since thats the first year of the 997 and im assuming the 2006 and 2007 years fix any problems the 05 had.

Ill keep looking around.

Also, would it be smart to look for the car in the states?
Most cars from 2006 and above have day light savings in america right?

you&me
10-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by igordj ]Thanks for the help guys.

i will most likely be looking at a 997 Carrera 4S
unless I can get a late 996 Turbo (a 2004 nothing older)
The 997 will probs be a 2006 or 2007, anything higher is over my budget, and I dont want to get a 2005, since thats the first year of the 997 and im assuming the 2006 and 2007 years fix any problems the 05 had.

Ill keep looking around.

Also, would it be smart to look for the car in the states?
Most cars from 2006 and above have day light savings in america right?

:rofl:

Daytime Running Lights

997s have DRLs... If you get a car with the Sport Chrono option (highly recommended), you can activate the DRLs through the PCM system. Without SC, you have to get the lights programmed by a tech.

igordj
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Yah thats what its called DRL, fuck im an idiot haha

Will that be expensive? I have never imported a car before

soloracer
10-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by igordj
Yah thats what its called DRL, fuck im an idiot haha

Will that be expensive? I have never imported a car before

As the mentioned earlier it's as simple as changing a setting in the computer. If you have sport chrono it would be no charge.

igordj
10-25-2011, 12:28 AM
Okay thanks

I know not much will come out of this, but if you guys see any good deals by any chance can you please let me know, by pm'ing me

I would appreciate it show much.
Thanks