PDA

View Full Version : Welders, will you be looking to move?

C_Dave45
10-20-2011, 08:45 AM
With the recent ship-building contracts awarding, I'm wondering how many welders might be looking to move to Vancouver. Seaspan will be building $8 billion dollars worth of ships for the next 30 years in their North Shore facilities. They are expecting to be hiring entire graduating classes of welders to fulfill the workload. It will be similar to the Alberta oil boom hiring. Can almost bank on an entire career if you get hired. Should be interesting.

Tik-Tok
10-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Or Halifax. $25billion contract there for the warships. If I were a welder, I'd be applying for there. WAY cheaper to live, you'd literally have twice the expendable income.

n1zm0
10-20-2011, 08:56 AM
^ :werd: i'd choose the 25 billion project over the 10 billion vancouver one, lobster dinners or crab dinners, hmmmm

benyl
10-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
Or Halifax. $25billion contract there for the warships. If I were a welder, I'd be applying for there. WAY cheaper to live, you'd literally have twice the expendable income.

Won't be as cheap to live once all those welders start moving there. Housing will become a scarce commodity and the prices will jump.

C_Dave45
10-20-2011, 09:20 AM
True. *I* would rather choose Halifax, but I'm older and like small town life now. I just thought a younger guy would rather choose Vancouver. 8 billion vs 25 billion...to an individual trades person it makes no difference. You get 30 years of work either way. Not sure what the unions Pay rate is with each area. None the less it's great news for both coasts.

benyl
10-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Time to buy real estate on the coast... hehe

nonofyobiz
10-20-2011, 03:19 PM
interesting.

Is the contract going to one company out east or will it be given to several companies.

I don't see it being equal to Alberta's oil boom as far as housing, and economy in general.