PDA

View Full Version : Review: Pho Chu The

clem24
10-20-2011, 03:21 PM
Restaurant name: Pho Chu The

- Food rating 5/5
- Ambience 1/5
- Service 4/5

Location is on west side of MacLeod, across from Hooters/Back Alley, on the main floor of the tall brick apartment building. It is NOT the one in the strip mall on east side of MaLeod (that one sucks.. I've tried it). Parking is limited at lunch.

Go here for the pho, and nothing else. Everything from the taste and aroma of the soup, to the texture of the noodles is phenomenal. This has become my favorite pho place in Calgary. Just to give you an idea of my tastes, my fave places were: Song Huong (and still is for everything not pho), Pho Rang Dong, and Pho Thanh in Huntington. And I've tried a lot of pho places.

The soup is piping hot and full of flavour. Very beefy and lots of spices. The icing on the cake is the little dish they hand out with sliced up little pieces of the really hot chili red peppers. This completely transforms everything for me. After dumping it in the soup, it's heaven on Earth! My wife was only a marginal pho fan but she now loves this place (the peppers seem to do it for her too). Somehow, having it cut up like this makes it very different from other places where you have to break it up yourself and then beware not to touch any "sensitive" body parts until hands are thoroughly washed (i.e. wash your hands BEFORE you take a piss LOL).

The only real problem is that the beef is fully cooked by the time it arrives. So if that's a problem, ask for B.O.S. Not sure if they do this, but I don't mind the fully cooked beef.

A few things:

1.) I've ONLY tried the pho tai and nothing else. OK I've had the spring rolls and salad rolls and neither of those are anything to write home about. But the pho tai is so fucking good that I've not had any incentive to try anything else. My wife tried the chicken giblet pho (which seems to have a clearer soup) but still prefers the regular stuff.

2.) It's kid friendly - they have 3 TVs and one is sometimes showing Treehouse LOL.

3.) They've got Yanni on repeat. Not any one disk, but one TRACK. Since I've been going there half a year ago, it's been the same fucking track every single time. I'll admit, I like Yanni but this is a little much.

Anyway, it's a pho place. I have no idea what else there is to write here. Just go try it. The pho tai is addictive. You won't be disappointed!

clem24
10-20-2011, 03:23 PM
PS> Please don't turn this thread into a "x pho place is the best". Just try it, and reply on here whether you liked or not.

phreezee
10-20-2011, 03:36 PM
I've been there once earlier this year and my colleague and I agreed it wasn't anything special. We had whatever their Pho Dac Biet equivalent is. Pretty much any pho place in Forest Lawn beats it.

Glad you found Song Houng, but I hate that it's so tough to get a table on weekends during lunch now.

InRich
10-20-2011, 03:57 PM
What would you guys say is the BEST PHO place in the S.E.????

2007RS4
10-20-2011, 04:01 PM
^ Song Viet across from the Harry Hays is the best pho in the city.

a social dsease
12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
Went here the other week. Definitely good quality pho, above average for sure.

I thought the little dish of chili's was a nice touch, be careful before you dump the whole thing in tho, definitely increases the spiciness!

I'd definitely go back.

InRich
12-05-2011, 02:06 PM
Im gonna go try it.

Euro838
12-05-2011, 02:15 PM
So do you do Sirachi + Chili peppers? Or just Chili peppers?

n1zm0
12-05-2011, 02:18 PM
yeah i noticed this place just the other day picking up the gf from downtown, after years and years of never noticing anything on that side of macleod, i noticed the yellow sign, well i guess i did notice it one time or another cause the previous restaurant there was stanley park something iirc

will try it this weekend hopefully

clem24
12-05-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Euro838
So do you do Sirachi + Chili peppers? Or just Chili peppers?

Both!! One for true spiciness and the other for flavour. I think the sliced peppers put it over the top.

My wife's addicted to Pho Chu The. She's never been addicted to pho before. Every Sunday when I suggest pho for lunch, she'd roll her eyes. But after trying this place, she's actually been craving it every week.

GQBalla
12-05-2011, 03:18 PM
The sliced hot peppers are amazing. What I do is squish it in a little bowl with the back of my spoon and cut it with the spoon.

So that every time I eat Pho wherever I am

WWJAI
01-05-2012, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
^ Song Viet across from the Harry Hays is the best pho in the city.

You need new taste buds.

InRich
01-05-2012, 11:03 PM
yea so I went there... and from now on whenever I want pho, i'm gonna go there. prices were really good too

01-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Love this place :thumbsup:

dirtsniffer
01-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm gonna check it out on Saturday. Is this in the same building as Sampson's supplements?

clem24
01-06-2012, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
I'm gonna check it out on Saturday. Is this in the same building as Sampson's supplements?

Wow Google maps needs a serious update LOL...

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ll=51.011927,-114.066402&spn=0.002845,0.007365&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta&t=m&z=18&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=51.011927,-114.066402&panoid=vNu2vUqNj0OpnOFNEMSfMQ&cbp=12,264.19,,0,-8.85

It's "Stanley Park Eatery and Bar" in the above street view LOL.

Just went yesterday for lunch. :drool: Been going once a week now since I've originally posted. Definitely my go to place now. Bye bye Huntington/Pho Thanh.

msommers
01-06-2012, 02:33 PM
Pho Dau Bo is my fav place, definitely sounds like this is worth a try.

Xtrema
01-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by clem24
Bye bye Huntington/Pho Thanh.

NE and SW, that's quite a distance between the 2. You live somewhere in the middle?

dirtsniffer
01-09-2012, 11:13 AM
I went on Saturday and the pho is good. definitely some of the best i've had.

max_boost
01-09-2012, 11:51 AM
Interesting. I'll check this place out later today.

clem24
01-09-2012, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

NE and SW, that's quite a distance between the 2. You live somewhere in the middle?

LOL not really... I live in Tuscany but work downtown. So I just drive down for lunch on work days!

Went back to Pho Thanh yesterday as my kid likes going there, but I have to say.. That place just doesn't do it for me anymore. Although I will admit Pho Thanh has much better spring rolls.

Xtrema
01-09-2012, 03:00 PM
Went back to Pho Thanh yesterday as my kid likes going there, but I have to say.. That place just doesn't do it for me anymore. Although I will admit Pho Thanh has much better spring rolls.

The only 2 good Pho place in NW is Pho Huong Viet in Crowfoot and Pho Thanh by 64th.

But both has off days. Usually it's either @ the end of soup stock or start of a new soup stock.

Roarasaur
01-12-2012, 10:45 PM

LOL not really... I live in Tuscany but work downtown. So I just drive down for lunch on work days!

I was also as Pho Thanh on the 8th at night around 7-8. I've only been to this place a few times and I have to say that it rivals with one of my favorites (Pho Xuan) in the NE. I was really surprised at how packed the place was on a Sunday night, of all times. Good pho, good springrolls.

Commanderwiggin
03-26-2012, 10:23 AM
It's been a while since I've tried a few Pho places in Calgary...I usually eat at Pho Kim on Center street and 16th ave...I've tried a couple in Forest Lawn a couple years ago and used to eat at Pho Thanh in Huntington.
Some others I've tried that I can recall:
Pho Dau Bo
Pho Anh Huyen
Pho Hoan
Pho Taurus
Pho Hoang

I always seem to come back to Pho Kim...I just can't get over the speed that they get the food to me...and the Pho is consistantly good whereas my old place Pho Thanh as well as most others were very inconsistent.

I dunno I haven't seen Pho Kim recommended in this thread yet so I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something? I'll have to check some places out next time I roll in.

msommers
03-26-2012, 11:22 AM
I went here on Friday and have to say it was just alright. The noodles were way overcooked and the beef was kind of questionable but the satay broth was wicked. Maybe I'll give it another go.

msommers
04-03-2012, 05:12 PM
I gave this place another go since it was right across the street from The Dive Shop. This time was completely different. Had satay chicken soup and it was delicious! Also, it looked like I stepped into another country as I walked in the door, everyone turned to look at me, presumably because I was the only white guy in there. A good sign I think!

InRich
04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I gave this place another go since it was right across the street from The Dive Shop. This time was completely different. Had satay chicken soup and it was delicious! Also, it looked like I stepped into another country as I walked in the door, everyone turned to look at me, presumably because I was the only white guy in there. A good sign I think!

haha dude.... they used to do that to me... now I'm a regular there so... glad u enjoyed the experience... I personally love it there if I'm in the mood for pho

CompletelyNumb
04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
I drive by this place 3x a week. Never thought to stop by though. Sounds like it's a hidden gem. I'll be checking it out next time I head down that way.

clem24
04-13-2012, 11:27 PM
They're on holidays until the 19th BTW. Had to eat McDonald's... :(

phreezee
08-26-2012, 08:17 PM
Gave this place another go today because a friend of mine recommended the ox tail pho #22. Broth was clear, full of beef flavour and very good. Definitely beats anything else on Macleod.

403ep3
08-26-2012, 09:09 PM
will have to try this place out when I'm in the south next:D

CompletelyNumb
09-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Been here a few times now. Absolutely love it.

Still havent decided on a favourite. I go to Pho Binh Min regularily. Pho Dau Bo occasionally. And Pho Kim when I want late night (they'll serve me up til about 1030 if I call them).

Strider
10-24-2014, 09:49 AM
This place has been closed the last few times I've tried going (from Aug until earlier this month). Any idea what's going on?

lilmira
10-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Some plumbing problem with the building or something.

Strider
10-24-2014, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by lilmira
Some plumbing problem with the building or something.

That's what the note on the door said the first time I tried going... Didn't bother getting out to read it the next few times.

But what kind of plumbing issue goes on for 3 months without being resolved?

clem24
10-24-2014, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Strider

That's what the note on the door said the first time I tried going... Didn't bother getting out to read it the next few times.

Yeah something is up besides just a simple plumbing issue.. Not sure what. Phone message is same thing; they haven't even bothered updating it (problem started in August, states closure of 1 week).

I've been missing this place like crazy; no other place has really cut it. I've been calling every week to see if they're open again. :cry: :cry:

[EDIT] Just called the number again and they are stating re-opening end of Oct or early Nov!! Yippee!!!

lee88
10-24-2014, 11:46 AM
Best pho place on McLeod trail:thumbsup:

hustler
10-24-2014, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by lee88
Best pho place on McLeod trail:thumbsup:

Try the sate soup at Golden Bell Saigon across Chinook....delicious

GotRice?
10-24-2014, 01:25 PM
Pho Chu The is the best! Can't believe you didn't order the Bot Chien tho. Man that is the best dish there!

Originally posted by Commanderwiggin
It's been a while since I've tried a few Pho places in Calgary...I usually eat at Pho Kim on Center street and 16th ave...I've tried a couple in Forest Lawn a couple years ago and used to eat at Pho Thanh in Huntington.
Some others I've tried that I can recall:
Pho Dau Bo
Pho Anh Huyen
Pho Hoan
Pho Taurus
Pho Hoang

I always seem to come back to Pho Kim...I just can't get over the speed that they get the food to me...and the Pho is consistantly good whereas my old place Pho Thanh as well as most others were very inconsistent.

I dunno I haven't seen Pho Kim recommended in this thread yet so I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something? I'll have to check some places out next time I roll in.

Pho Taurus
:barf: *shivers*

lee88
10-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by hustler

Try the sate soup at Golden Bell Saigon across Chinook....delicious

Golden bell is ok for sate soup. Still like pho chu for none sate soup especially the bun bo hue. Only two places I go to on McLeod trail. SE hood still the best :thumbsup: for any pho

bleu
10-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I'll have to give this place a try too since it is close to my work. I love pho satay. :drool:

suntan
10-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Pho Chu The is the best. The one in the strip mall on the Hooters' side is bad.

Second is Golden Bell. Third is Bagolac, but Bagolac always seems to have hot chicks in it.

Rocket1k78
10-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Only been there once on a sunday at 2:00 and it was packed with viets with people waiting for tables. I was pretty shocked but when the pho came out i knew why. Very good but its so out of the way for the nw folk.

FYI everyone's favorite pho hoochie(old pho xuan server) is at pho Rang dong now:poosie: Which is actually a really good place.

bleu
10-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Lately I've been going to Ngo Saigon in Marda Loop as it is in walking distance. The satay is quite good, they give so much so I usually end up taking half home.

clem24
10-27-2014, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by bleu
Lately I've been going to Ngo Saigon in Marda Loop as it is in walking distance. The satay is quite good.

Not it's not. ;)

I've been looking for a new place and nothing has cut it. The latest I tried was Bolsa (based on reviews) and it was fucking gross. Not only that, but the accounting there was SUPER sketchy - nothing went through the cash register, and they showed you your total on a $5 Canon calculator. :eek:

Disoblige
10-27-2014, 09:09 AM
The satay is quite good, they give so much so I usually end up taking half home.
Soggy pho. Gross.

clem24
10-27-2014, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige

Soggy pho. Gross.

LOL it amazes me that when you put salt, water, dry noodles and shitty beef in a bowl, you'll automatically get 95% reviews and just about every white person will love it.

Even my old haunts like Pho Rang Dong hasn't been cutting it lately. Very sub-par noodles and beef that wasn't very good (super thin and chewy). Same goes for Basil.

Strider
10-27-2014, 09:25 AM
I've been looking for a new place and nothing has cut it. The latest I tried was Bolsa (based on reviews) and it was fucking gross. Not only that, but the accounting there was SUPER sketchy - nothing went through the cash register, and they showed you your total on a $5 Canon calculator. :eek:

I tried Bolsa this weekend out of desperation (also based on good urbanspoon reviews). I wouldn't say fucking gross, but definitely towards the bottom end of the middle of the pack.

Didn't encounter sketchy accounting, but the lady owner was totally overbearing - telling us how to eat our beef and shaming us for not having kids yet at our age.

GQBalla
10-27-2014, 09:27 AM

Not it's not. ;)

How's that sketchy? Super smart IMO.

no paper trail unless you're using debit/credit.

i got to open a Pho restaurant.

clem24
10-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla

How's that sketchy? Super smart IMO.

no paper trail unless you're using debit/credit.

i got to open a Pho restaurant.

Exactly.. Super sketch. No receipt. As far as they are concerned, you never even came in. :rofl:

If they CRA ever questions their low sales, they'll just probably play the "business sucks after the gang shooting" card. I honestly couldn't believe how packed it was in there.

But yes open a Pho restaurant. Because really, ANYONE can do it and make a shit ton of money. Observe all the shitty COO (Chinese owned and operated) pho joints in the +15 and downtown. It's a fucking cash cow. If you can add salt and MSG to water, you can make money pho sho'.

lilmira
10-27-2014, 11:20 AM
I think CRA would compare the numbers between similar restaurants. Worst case they send a guy to sit in your restaurant all day, if what he sees is a lot more than what's been reported over the years, you've got some explaining to do. Asians have been doing it for years, CRA ain't dumb.

n1zm0
10-27-2014, 11:26 AM
If you can add salt and MSG to water, you can make money pho sho'.

this is what I used to say to a coworker when he said he's going to Oriental Phoenix for lunch, it's literally noodles and hot water with msg and a shaving of star anise, he loved it though :rolleyes:

suntan
10-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Oriental Phoenix is gross. Fucking shit place. Forgot there's one near me. :rofl:

There are lots of shitty Viet places though, for sure. The worst I ever had was one on Centre Street on top of the hill. Awful.

max_boost
10-28-2014, 01:36 AM
Lately I've been going to Ngo Saigon in Marda Loop as it is in walking distance. The satay is quite good, they give so much so I usually end up taking half home. haha brule u don't know pho man

Rocket1k78
10-28-2014, 10:18 AM

Soggy pho. Gross.

I always wonder how people do it when i see them dump the left overs into the take out container. Slightly over cooked noodles ruins it for me so i cant imagine what leftover pho would taste like.

clem24
10-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
I always wonder how people do it when i see them dump the left overs into the take out container. Slightly over cooked noodles ruins it for me so i cant imagine what leftover pho would taste like.

Haha yeah the noodles become saturated with soup and fall apart easily. But TBH, I'd rather eat GOOD leftover pho vs. the shit they serve in the +15.

A|pine
10-28-2014, 03:55 PM
I loved eating here before, I lived maybe 5 blocks from this joint. The BBH (bun bo hue) was an interesting rendition. They provided you with appropriate textures with lettuce, red cabbage, appropriate cuts of meat and fish minus the pork blood.

I've taken out here too, and they provide a soup container separate from the noodles so you don't get that soggy take out. Too bad to hear that they are currently closed. Definitely one of my top joints next to Golden Bell on Macleod Trail. Nothing beats international ave though.

LongCity
10-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Wait... Fish and lettuce in Bun Bo Hue?

Disoblige
10-28-2014, 04:39 PM

Haha yeah the noodles become saturated with soup and fall apart easily. But TBH, I'd rather eat GOOD leftover pho vs. the shit they serve in the +15.
If you put pho in a to-go container, don't expect to see any broth left when you open it later :rofl:

It's like watching a shamwow commercial.

clem24
10-29-2014, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by suntan
Pho Chu The is the best. The one in the strip mall on the Hooters' side is bad.

Second is Golden Bell. Third is Bagolac, but Bagolac always seems to have hot chicks in it.

Tried Bagolac last night. First thing that hit me: the only Asians in the restaurant were the workers. Second, the soup is SWEET. W.T.F. did they put in there?? My guess is mirin or something similar. Third, **ZERO** hot chicks so fuck you on your third recommendation on both fronts. :rofl:

Just to speak of my experience, they 'thai' salad rolls were just normal salad rolls with chicken and a piece of basil. And again, the soup is sweet and didn't seem much like broth at all.

On the good news front, I was driving by PCT and the owner was there moving shit in and out of the restaurant so I think the end of the closure is near! :clap: :clap: :clap:

know1edge
10-29-2014, 07:58 PM

A|pine
10-29-2014, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Wait... Fish and lettuce in Bun Bo Hue?

Fish cakes. They shred iceberg lettuce and purple cabbage. I am not vietnamese, nor have I been to Vietnam but my understanding is that it is a textural component (using north american ingredients where asian ingredients aren't available).

I know bbh deli in the NE doesn't do this, so not sure if that is a particular region in Vietnam or if hue style is the same through out the country.

suntan
10-29-2014, 09:59 PM

Tried Bagolac last night. First thing that hit me: the only Asians in the restaurant were the workers. Second, the soup is SWEET. W.T.F. did they put in there?? My guess is mirin or something similar. Third, **ZERO** hot chicks so fuck you on your third recommendation on both fronts. :rofl: Fuck, is Pho Chu The still closed? Damn.

Oh well no hot pussy for you to stare at. :rofl:

phreezee
10-30-2014, 10:14 AM
LOL, Bagolac sucks... I think it's run by Thai people. Golden Bell also sucks, their broth is super sweet and I suspect its loaded with MSG.

suntan
10-30-2014, 10:29 AM
In that area, they're both better than the alternatives. I've tried every single Viet place there and believe me, the ones I didn't list are worse. Way worse.

Bagolac and Golden Bell are owned and run by the same people.

Rocket1k78
10-30-2014, 12:20 PM

If you put pho in a to-go container, don't expect to see any broth left when you open it later :rofl:

It's like watching a shamwow commercial.

Exaclty:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

n1zm0
10-30-2014, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by suntan
In that area, they're both better than the alternatives. I've tried every single Viet place there and believe me, the ones I didn't list are worse. Way worse.

Bagolac and Golden Bell are owned and run by the same people.

iirc it changed ownership in the mid 2000s, I remember going there and it was decent before that.

Also there was one near Option Import and the Back Alley which was ok, idk if it's still there, yellow and red sign, also was ok.

suntan
10-30-2014, 12:45 PM
Viet Hai? It's awful. Soup was water and noodles. The meat was disgusting.

fcuk_it
10-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Called today, and the owner said they are re-opening this Saturday!!!!:clap:

nj2Type-S
10-31-2014, 12:37 PM
i really like pho xinh xinh on macleod and 42nd.

i've been to pho chu the a while back, and yeah, their pho is really good. i HATE the vietnamese restaurant on the same side as hooters. :whipped:

clem24
10-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by fcuk_it
Called today, and the owner said they are re-opening this Saturday!!!!:clap:

FUCK!! Just as I am about to leave town for a week!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :cry: :cry:

Phihalo
11-03-2014, 09:19 AM
Confirmed. Saw a Open Now sign mounted in front of the restaurant :bigpimp:

Joe-G
11-03-2014, 09:30 AM
Went there yesterday for the first time based on the reviews here.. Will definitely be back again!

Service was prompt up until we ordered. Once we got our food, we never really saw the server again until we walked to the front to pay. To be fair, it seemed like they were fairly busy though. (Just re-opened?)

I had the regular Pho Tai, and the gf had a vermicelli rice bowl. Both were fairly good IMO. Decent sized portions as well. Meat wasn't dry, chewy, etc and the pho was pretty good. I think this might be a new fav for us.

lilmira
11-03-2014, 07:23 PM
It's open! Beef stew yum :drool:

max_boost
11-09-2014, 06:00 PM
This place is good. I'll be back.

Strider
11-11-2014, 09:22 AM
Went there on Saturday.

The noodles were a bit soft and the sate soup was a bit lacking.
It reminded me of how inconsistent they were when they first opened.

Hopefully they get back on their game quickly.

G
11-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Went there on Saturday.

The noodles were a bit soft and the sate soup was a bit lacking.
It reminded me of how inconsistent they were when they first opened.

Hopefully they get back on their game quickly.

Pleases state your ethnicity when reviewing pho.

Disoblige
11-11-2014, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by G

Hahahaha :thumbsup:

Strider
11-11-2014, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by G

:rofl:

clem24
11-12-2014, 02:38 PM
Haha. I just went for my inaugural lunch. It was so fucking good. The noodles are soft? Yeah that's EXACTLY why I love it. I am pretty sure they are one of the few to use fresh noodles. Mmmm can't wait to go back.

InRich
11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Went there last night. The noodles are higher quality then Golden Bell. The broth and everything in the soup was fresh. very tasty. Had number 30, their larger noodle special. Gf had their satay beef, which was awesome too.

Strider
11-13-2014, 09:18 AM
Haha. I just went for my inaugural lunch. It was so fucking good. The noodles are soft? Yeah that's EXACTLY why I love it. I am pretty sure they are one of the few to use fresh noodles. Mmmm can't wait to go back.

Soft noodles? :barf:
I used to go there almost weekly before they closed down, the noodles definitely weren't soft normally.

Anyone tried the subs? I've heard that they're good but I can't bring myself to ordering a sub when there's pho to be had.

clem24
11-13-2014, 10:10 AM

Soft noodles? :barf:
I used to go there almost weekly before they closed down, the noodles definitely weren't soft normally.

Anyone tried the subs? I've heard that they're good but I can't bring myself to ordering a sub when there's pho to be had.

LOL maybe my definition and your definition of soft aren't the same LOL. Their noodles are 'softer' and slightly more springy than other places. But I am pretty sure we're on the same page.

My wife has had their sub and she says it's not bad. My go to for banh mi is still Thi Thi on 8th Ave (the OG one by Harry Hay's always gives me 3 days of runs).

The other things I really liked on PCT's menu was the chicken wings (the lime and pepper dipping sauce is heavenly and the wings are marinated just right and always comes out pipping hot) and the steak hot plate with fried egg. The lady even offered me a side of soup with it.

But yeah, I hear ya. Hard to order anything else but the pho. The only time I've actually ordered something else was when I returned that same day for dinner hahahaha.

AzNxHyDrA
11-13-2014, 10:18 AM

I went last weekend and it's open again :D.

Pfft, I didn't scroll through to the end and see that other people mentioned its open as well. Oops.

npham
11-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Was there today, and the food is as good as it has been before.

doomdealer
11-16-2014, 03:34 PM
I've been here twice now after they've reopened to try out different pho dishes. Here is what I've had so far...

Satay Beef Pho:

- Good portion size with lots of meat
- Pho is cooked just right
- Didn't really care for the Satay soup though, as I thought Pho Dau Bo was better
- Price was average compared to other places

Beef Stew Pho:

- Great portion size (I'd even say better than the Satay Pho)
- Again, Pho was cooked perfectly
- Soup was great; I liked this a lot better than the Satay soup
- Price was about the same as the Satay Pho, so it was reasonable

My wife had the Beef Special Pho and I did try some of it to give my thoughts on it:

- LOTS of meat in the bowl; pretty much the most I've seen at any place
- Pho was excellent as always
- Soup was a lighter-tasting soup base. It was good, but I prefer the stronger-tasting base of the Beef Stew soup.
- Excellent price/value ratio overall.

Suffice it to say, I will return for sure!

bleu
11-17-2014, 09:21 PM
Tried it tonight for supper. It was quite good! Will be back for sure. :thumbsup:

CompletelyNumb
11-17-2014, 10:31 PM
Glad it's open again. Went in on Sunday. Pho dac biet with nuoc beo. So damn good. :drool:

suntan
04-28-2015, 12:40 PM

Tried Bagolac last night. First thing that hit me: the only Asians in the restaurant were the workers. Second, the soup is SWEET. W.T.F. did they put in there?? My guess is mirin or something similar. Third, **ZERO** hot chicks so fuck you on your third recommendation on both fronts. :rofl:

Just to speak of my experience, they 'thai' salad rolls were just normal salad rolls with chicken and a piece of basil. And again, the soup is sweet and didn't seem much like broth at all.

On the good news front, I was driving by PCT and the owner was there moving shit in and out of the restaurant so I think the end of the closure is near! :clap: :clap: :clap: Went to Bagolac a couple of weeks ago, yeah, the pho broth changed. Way too sweet. Off my list for pho. Blech. Also they changed their portion size, the bowls are much smaller than before.

GQBalla
04-28-2015, 01:28 PM
went and had their vermicelli,

wasn't impressed Noodles were completely overdone. Meat was good though.

Their Pho is pretty good, only complain is their XL is too small...

InRich
04-28-2015, 06:02 PM
Went there the other night. One of their servers was deathly ill with the flu. coughing everywhere, couldn't even speak. Was serving everyone their food, really pissed me off. Cause now most of us are gonna get that shit too...

If your in the good industry, and your sick, stay the fuck home!

Strider
06-15-2015, 09:44 AM
:thumbsdow
The last two times I've gone, the portions have been smaller than they used to be. On top of that, they've upped the prices on the entire menu (+$1.50 on a bowl of pho), started charging for tea, and taken away the candy :cry:

I'll probably keep eating there, but I've scaled my tip down to 15% from 20-25%.

CRXguy
06-15-2015, 11:02 PM
The last two times I've gone, the portions have been smaller than they used to be. On top of that, they've upped the prices on the entire menu (+$1.50 on a bowl of pho), started charging for tea, and taken away the candy :cry:

I'll probably keep eating there, but I've scaled my tip down to 15% from 20-25%.

Same for me. Must have changed owners or something. Not as good as before.

phreezee
06-16-2015, 08:07 AM
^^ must be it, last time I went the 2 sisters weren't serving us.

alien
06-16-2015, 08:07 AM
That's really disappointing. Have to find another place now.

Bowen
06-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Same owners, same taste, prices got jacked up.

Candies are still there too

Originally posted by CRXguy

Same for me. Must have changed owners or something. Not as good as before.

lee88
06-22-2015, 11:04 PM

Wierd I went their a few times last week and it seemed like i got more meat in my soup then usual even with the price increse. Maybe it's because I'm not skinny:dunno:

InRich
06-23-2015, 12:18 AM
I'm done going there.
Not impressed with it lately at all.