PDA

View Full Version : Now that race city is gone, what are you going to do?

Pages : [1] 2

Cos
10-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Leave me to get a car I can finally track right when RC closes. :facepalm:

I know they have a track in Mission BC, Edmonton, and Med Hat. What are your guy's plan once the summer rolls around? I want to get some experience with my new car. I am mainly interested in track days. I dont want to bag the shit out of this thing so I may do the odd 1/4 mile pass but I want to learn how to drive this car the way it deserves.

I dont think Auto-X is appropriate for this car.

Sentry
10-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Holding out for rimbey's strip to open.

btimbit
10-20-2011, 08:03 PM
Selling the car:banghead:

Jetta-2.0
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
bullshit corner happens every saturday :rofl:

Shlade
10-20-2011, 08:07 PM
for the love of god get some suspension for that car first before you track it! I hated they way it handled around corners haha!

As gay as it sounds ill start attending timmies on barlow more often because I know the good crowd will start coming back next year and there will be more chill people to stand around and have coffee/talk cars with (no street racing bs)

Or atleast Im hoping the old crowd from like 06-08 will come back haha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
10-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Continue to Auto-X and maybe one or two track days in Edmonton or BC.

kvg
10-20-2011, 08:21 PM
BS might get real busy. I sure hope we get another track to keep it off the streets, but I'm not gonna hold my breath:thumbsdow Numerous people will probably have to die before city hall looks into a new track.

Maxt
10-20-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm taking a year off track days to just finish building all my junk... This year was so hectic, I really wasn't track prepared and I was rushed every time, and it sucks being rushed for that kind of activity. You run around like a chicken with your head cut off getting tires done, prepping, blah blah, get on the track wondering if you forgot anything.
I want to roll into 2013 with a dedicated track car built and ready, and by that time, there should be some local pavement ready for something. Hopefully be relaxed and enjoy it then, and not have it seem like work.

black13
10-20-2011, 08:35 PM
well there's always deerfoot :burnout:

Tik-Tok
10-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Holding out for rimbey's strip to open.

Isn't it faster to get to Castrol?

Sorath
10-20-2011, 08:45 PM
I live a quarter mile at a time. For those 10 seconds or less. I'm free... :rofl:

Phenix
10-20-2011, 08:50 PM
could always downsize the racing and get into rc cars. there must be a few tracks around. be way cheaper

Sentry
10-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

Isn't it faster to get to Castrol? It's 20 minutes from red deer.

J-hop
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
It's 20 minutes from red deer.

That's not so bad actually! For some of us in the deep north that isn't much longer than it took to get to race city :D

OriginalGoods
10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Timmys doesn't need anymore people that stand around and hold hands and suck back the devils drink. . How can you guys even drink that rubbish? Time to build your street cred SON!

M.alex
10-20-2011, 09:38 PM
Deathrace on Deerfoot.

88CRX
10-20-2011, 09:49 PM
Calgary needs weekends meets minus the bullshit.

saiyajin
10-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

:werd: could never make it to the Wednesday meets... :banghead:

Cos
10-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Lets start one then?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I took my Lancer to RC a lot and used to watch all the time. I auto-x'd my Lancer a ton in CSSC one year but I really want to get some seat time now.

Shlade..... dont worry I have already planned out more in mods to this car then I paid you for it. Haha

saiyajin
10-20-2011, 10:02 PM
this coming weekend is probably the last nice weekend we'll be getting in a while...

AudiPWR
10-20-2011, 10:36 PM
Out of curiousity, what would you guys be willing to pay per use of a track? How about for a season membership? Track would include a drag strip and a generic oval.

A2VR6
10-20-2011, 10:44 PM
With the closure of race city I'll just auto-x with the SASC club

Shlade
10-20-2011, 10:45 PM
lets all buy go karts lol

DboyNismo
10-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Sorath
I live a quarter mile at a time. For those 10 seconds or less. I'm free... :rofl:

At least we have more than a week before race wars. Sr20's wont be at a premium yet.

Edit: or someone can find an abandon airstrip like in Gimli, MB.

I used to land gliders in the field between the actual airstrip and the converted drag strip.

Masked Bandit
10-20-2011, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Shlade..... dont worry I have already planned out more in mods to this car then I paid you for it. Haha

Pardon me? :D

M.alex
10-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

are you his broker?

if so, :rofl:

if not, :confused:

max_boost
10-21-2011, 12:22 AM
My brah M.alex has a 1/4mile long driveway, maybe he can let us use it.

Shlade
10-21-2011, 12:59 AM

hahahahahahaha

PremiumRSX
10-21-2011, 01:55 AM
I sold my car and moved away. :rolleyes:

streethondas
10-21-2011, 02:26 AM
I wish the springbank airport was available :( lol maybe they will close down after the Calgary airport is expanded :bullshit:

Cos
10-21-2011, 08:22 AM

Nothing that puts me into Schedule B. :D

Sugarphreak
10-21-2011, 08:35 AM

2007RS4
10-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Roads outside of the city - early morning.

hurrdurr
10-21-2011, 10:05 AM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/lepcmama/pinky_brain.jpg

ottamania
10-21-2011, 10:22 AM
see the sig :cry:

Masked Bandit
10-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Cos

Nothing that puts me into Schedule B. :D

Just be aware that "the man" is always looking over your shoulder...

Okay, not really, but I have to have some fun.

Just don't forget about that extra clause I put on the policy that says your broker is allowed to commandeer your vehicle for "test drives" at his discrection.

:D

Tomaz
10-21-2011, 11:07 AM
I cant wait for Calgary to complete the Stoneyburgring. :D

Really, I never got a chance to have a car designed for the track. I figured if I start now, I might have one completed by the time a new track comes along!

J-hop
10-21-2011, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Really, I never got a chance to have a car designed for the track. I figured if I start now, I might have one completed by the time a new track comes along!

Didn't you used to have a race prepped taurus? :D sorry it was just too tempting

max_boost
10-21-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Tomaz

Fuck yea! :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :angel: :angel: :angel:

A2VR6
10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Fort McLeod is soooooooo far away though. Hopefully they can get Deerfoot mall more often. Really if either of the clubs can get local venues on a more regular basis I might look at getting another car to come play too.

I heard from one of the guys at the vette club that Deerfoot Mall wont be a auto-x venue anymore since they're looking to use that lot for expansion.

Who knows if there will be any auto-x in the city anymore.

g-m
10-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by AudiPWR
Out of curiousity, what would you guys be willing to pay per use of a track? How about for a season membership? Track would include a drag strip and a generic oval. that's not a track, that's a strip + nascar ring. No thanks.

I came to this thread looking for what to do and it seems like edmonton is the best bet. I guess I'll head up there a few days next year.

DboyNismo
10-22-2011, 06:50 PM
well as clarkson put it, we are an endangered species, lovers of speed. he also points out that there is a race track in our living room called forza 4.

anyways, id be down for some stoneyburgring. :thumbsup:

GoChris
10-22-2011, 07:54 PM
I'll probably get a trailer for my truck and haul my car down to the Hat. Sucks I never even really got it out at all this year, never had the time to finish the mods.

Guess I could sell it but not sure that's even worth it. :dunno:

4DoorGTZ
10-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Its been a while, but anyone in the "know" know whats up with the proposed badlands development near Rosebud? Their website hasnt been updated in a couple years but they did renew the domain.

Cos
10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Mayor Nenshi,

I am writing you today about a replacement for a motorsports park in Calgary. Car Racing is one of the most watched and participated sports in the world. Calgary does not have a disproportionate few car enthusiasts, if anything we have quite a large scene. In Calgary there are many car shops that just wouldn't exist if people didn't want to race their cars in a safe environment.

On a recent Calgary car forum post, a question was asked about what they are going to do after Race City closes its doors, I was saddened to see that seasoned, experienced, and good community members are selling their vehciles that they used on the track. Now this in itself isn't surprising since they have no place to use them but what is sad is that other enthusiasts will not be buying these cars as they have no where to take them. We will have a generation of car enthusiasts growing up without mentors or a place to congregate. This will do little but to push a scene that could create tax dollars into the underground and illegal realm. In a lot of cases it will be in-experienced drivers who decide to buy these vehicles and try out their racing skills on Calgary Streets. To give citizens a place to congregate and enjoy their hobbies is something Calgary is known for. We have many hockey arena's, soccer fields, hiking trails, skiing/snowboarding, mountain biking, river walks, paved paths, and water parks. To not have a place for many 'gear-heads' is sad. We are not asking for 3 or 4 tracks sprinkled throughout the city. We are fairly low maintenance in that we want a few pieces of asphalt and some lighting equipment.

Now it could be argued that Race City wasn't catering to a large portion of the population to warrant it to be replaced and in the later years I would have to agree. It is a case of the chicken and the egg however. What started to decline first? The clientele or the facility? When I was a boy growing up in Calgary, Racy City was a great facility that housed some of the biggest national races. There was the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA) Championships, Canadian Superbike Championships, many oval events, and many weekend or classic car races. With the decline of the facilities came a drop in clientele which gave to a drop of these major events. For the quality, or lack there of, of the facility I was amazed as how busy the track remained until its final days. There is a video on YouTube of the track in its peak and it just goes to show how busy and clean it once was.

A track in the city is not only for the select few who like to play with cars. Companies like Skip Barber, BGRP, AMRA, and many others will have to move locations or close up shop completely. Recent events at Race City have been a Mercedes Benz AMG event where owners could try out the AMG lineup in a secure environment. Company's like RevWorks and ZR Auto hold track days for their clients and friends. It is a way for people with the means to purchase a $500,000 Ferrari to enjoy their vehicles in a safe, controlled, and a much funner environment. I am confident in saying that most people would prefer a nice facility than to street racing. Street Racing will no doubt become a problem in Calgary's near future quite like what is happening in places like Vancouver and Ontario. Medicine Hat, Edmonton, and Drumheller have very rarely (if ever) made the headlines for street racing and they have the last remaining tracks operating in the province. Although enforcement is an option I don't believe it is something the City or Province should consider. What would be next? A crackdown on street hockey because there aren't enough hockey rinks?

Calgary needs a replacement for Race City. With Edmonton's near loss of the Indy last year Calgary could have used to have a decent facility and we could have swooped in and grabbed another major event. With major events comes jobs, hotel accommodation, and employment at the track itself. Now it is sad that the last management of Race City did not have the desire or the means to maintain a proper facility but that should not discourage council from the idea all together.

I appreciate your time in this matter,

Cos

CC: Mr. Jim Stevenson
CC: Ms. Teresa Woo-Paw
CC: Calgary Herald
CC: Calgary Sun
CC: CFCN News
CC: Global News

J-hop
10-23-2011, 09:39 AM
Nicely written cos

msommers
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Funner?!

Otherwise well written. Let us know what feedback, if any, you receive.

M.alex
10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos

And what do you want the City to do about it?

Anytime the idea to build one is brought up BIG dollars are involved. I don't think it's economically feasible or wise for anybody to build a track here.

Your letter would make sense if there were several groups wanting to build one, put the cash upfront, and the City kept rebuking them refusing to let them build. But that isn't the case. There isn't a new track because it's not revenue smart.

Cos
10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Funner?!

Otherwise well written. Let us know what feedback, if any, you receive.

Lol.... I didnt even notice that. God.

Originally posted by M.alex

And what do you want the City to do about it?

They may not be able to do anything, or they may not have the power to do anything but you never know what sort of conversations these people are having in the background. If you at least let them know there is a will for a track it may spark something.

M.alex
10-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Cos

They may not be able to do anything, or they may not have the power to do anything but you never know what sort of conversations these people are having in the background. If you at least let them know there is a will for a track it may spark something.

There's a will for a lot of things out there.

I just don't see it happening because nobody/group is going to put up the money required to do it since the rate of return on it would be abysmal.

If the city were blocking the construction of a track then sure, the letter makes sense, but in this case nobody wants to build one.

MGCM
10-23-2011, 02:00 PM

There's a will for a lot of things out there.

I just don't see it happening because nobody/group is going to put up the money required to do it since the rate of return on it would be abysmal.

If the city were blocking the construction of a track then sure, the letter makes sense, but in this case nobody wants to build one.

Then maybe the city should consider sinking some money into another track, they sunk all that money into Millennium Park to keep skaters off the street, whats worse? Skaters on the street or inexperienced kids driving/streetracing overpowered cars anywhere and everywhere because they have no safe place to race? U think tickets kept the skaters off the streets? Confiscating their boards? It did not matter, they would buy a new board and be back out there the next day skating on the street, until Millennium Park was built, and a few other communities put up little mini skate parks. If Calgary thinks adding more cops to patrol the streets, handing out more tickets, and confiscate more cars is going to do a damn thing against street racing they are literally sleeping at the wheel and that is a scary thing to think about. If not 1 person or group of ppl takes charge and builds a track then the City needs to step up, if not, it will be their family and the friends who will reap the consequences when a 16 year old kid buys a drag car for cheep due to the loss of race city and loses control hitting a minivan with someones wife and kids in it.

Cos
10-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MGCM

Then maybe the city should consider sinking some money into another track, they sunk all that money into Millennium Park to keep skaters off the street, whats worse? Skaters on the street or inexperienced kids driving/streetracing overpowered cars anywhere and everywhere because they have no safe place to race?

Exactly my thought. CofC owned park. Even try to go a P3

M.alex
10-23-2011, 02:05 PM

Then maybe the city should consider sinking some money into another track, they sunk all that money into Millennium Park to keep skaters off the street, whats worse? Skaters on the street or inexperienced kids driving/streetracing overpowered cars anywhere and everywhere because they have no safe place to race?

Fvck no they better not spend $100+M in tax revenue on a facility just so people can drive their cars around. They're already invested in plenty of money pits, we don't need another.

Cos
10-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Fvck no they better not spend $100+M in tax revenue on a facility just so people can drive their cars around. They're already invested in plenty of money pits, we don't need another.

I would rather a city owned track over a useless bridge. What is wrong with a city owned park? Invest in it, pay the user fees to use it.

The city owns a ton of pools that I never use. Should that mean they arent allowed to build pools? What about golf courses? The city owns a lot of 'entertainment' based venues.

MGCM
10-23-2011, 02:12 PM

U think Millennium park was a money pit? Then you don't get a damn bit of the reasoning why they build it in the first place. I guarantee there would be more young kids dead right now because they were skating on the street and got hit by a car. Now they have a safe place to go for free and skate. How would you feel if Millennium park was never built and tomorrow some kid loses control and ends up on the street infront of your car and your unable to stop? Now you have hit the kid, killed the kid, it's not your fault, but for fuck sakes, u have to live with that for the rest of your life........enjoy that one.............now go back in time, should Millennium park have been built so that kid who u killed could have been there instead of dying?

J-hop
10-23-2011, 02:30 PM

U think Millennium park was a money pit? Then you don't get a damn bit of the reasoning why they build it in the first place. I guarantee there would be more young kids dead right now because they were skating on the street and got hit by a car. Now they have a safe place to go for free and skate. How would you feel if Millennium park was never built and tomorrow some kid loses control and ends up on the street infront of your car and your unable to stop? Now you have hit the kid, killed the kid, it's not your fault, but for fuck sakes, u have to live with that for the rest of your life........enjoy that one.............now go back in time, should Millennium park have been built so that kid who u killed could have been there instead of dying?

I see your point, but really I agree millennium was a waste. It was very popular in the beginning and a lot of what you say may have applied. But the novelty has since worn off, drug dealers have moved in, there is minimal security and I personally no longer believe it is a safe place for kids to go have fun.

What the city should have done is disperse the money into several communities and instead of building one large complex, build a bunch of smaller more accessible locations for those that don't have the time or the means to be driving to millennium all the time to skate. Kids are still hitting the streets because of the lack of convenience. I used to skate yet rarely hit up millennium just for the fact the riding style there is quite a bit different than street and the local school/parking lot had more than enough features and was 30seconds away.

But I pulled this way off topic!!! I agree there probably isn't anything that can be done about race city but maybe the city could look into providing areas for regular auto crossing or drift events.

MGCM
10-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by J-hop
I agree there probably isn't anything that can be done about race city but maybe the city could look into providing areas for regular auto crossing or drift events.

That would be a HUGE GIGANTIC STEP in the right direction by the city. Auto-x has always been hard to find venues for, if the city could help the various clubs find viable locations for both auto-x and drifting...........there would be a whole new relationship born between the local racing community and the City of Calgary.

lookin4civic
10-23-2011, 02:51 PM
and with a properly maintained and run facility along with good marketing skills i see no reason why this could not be at least some what of a profitable venture. what is happening with the land race city had? would the city be able to buy and refresh things up there?

Sugarphreak
10-23-2011, 03:31 PM

MGCM
10-23-2011, 03:57 PM

A large open paved area could be used for multi-venues; festivals, circus events, car shows, autocross events ect... throw in an enclose area for gatherings and washrooms and whomever operated it would easily turn a decent profit every year.

Even if the city didn't want to do it themselves, the least they could do is approve a location for it to go in.

Then again every venue we have gotten the city has gone after the owner of it like a viscous dog over usually a single noise complaint... despite the fact the clubs actually sound measure every car, and most construction equipment makes a bigger racket.

ppl could think of it this way, a larger area than stampede grounds and if done properly it would be LOADS cheeper for ppl to use the facility, stampede grounds is a gold mine for the city, but it's too small and too expensive for most ppl to rent.

Cos
10-23-2011, 04:23 PM
I was just going to suggest the stampede grounds. Why not rent out 1/3 of it for every day except Stampede?

Council could always approach groups with ideas like this. They aren't as helpless as Alex seems to think they are.

Alak
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Then again every venue we have gotten the city has gone after the owner of it like a viscous dog over usually a single noise complaint... despite the fact the clubs actually sound measure every car, and most construction equipment makes a bigger racket.

Noise. Music, Sports, Stampede, construction. People get it. But engine noise, and screeching tires....... negative. As was put to me, a race track is a fantastic idea. Just, you know, take it somewhere else. Many years ago race city was in the middle of nowhere. Not so much anymore.

M.alex
10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I was just going to suggest the stampede grounds. Why not rent out 1/3 of it for every day except Stampede?

Council could always approach groups with ideas like this. They aren't as helpless as Alex seems to think they are.

1 - you guys can not seriously believe there would ever be a hope in hell of having a competitive automotive event in/around the stampede grounds??? (noise?????)

2 - you can approach a bajillion groups, but the fact is, how many people/groups/etc... will be willing to pony up at least $100M (and I dont doubt the final figure would end up being 2-3x that) for an investment they hope to make a solid return on.

Sugarphreak
10-23-2011, 09:28 PM

Cos
10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Alex. I am not saying you are wrong. What I am asking is why cant we try? IIRC you dont vote so maybe you dont have this type of reasoning but to me all it takes is a letter and someone at council to find a way. If not it isnt like it negatively impacted my life in any way.

M.alex
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Alex. I am not saying you are wrong. What I am asking is why cant we try? IIRC you dont vote so maybe you dont have this type of reasoning but to me all it takes is a letter and someone at council to find a way. If not it isnt like it negatively impacted my life in any way.

You're free to try :)

But my point still stands - this isn't a $100K venture, this is a $100+M venture imho. And whomever fronts it is going to want a return over time. With our climate (and other variables) I don't think anybody would want to pony up that kind of money for a track.

90accord
10-23-2011, 09:55 PM

You're free to try :)

But my point still stands - this isn't a $100K venture, this is a $100+M venture imho. And whomever fronts it is going to want a return over time. With our climate (and other variables) I don't think anybody would want to pony up that kind of money for a track.

Expensive project i agree but why couldn't it be used for something like snow sports in the winter... A place for people to go with there sled or quad and have fun... Adding up the numbers from the last couple SS events i was at there is money to be made, plus add in sponsors and what not....

94_S14
10-23-2011, 10:02 PM

2 - you can approach a bajillion groups, but the fact is, how many people/groups/etc... will be willing to pony up at least $100M (and I dont doubt the final figure would end up being 2-3x that) for an investment they hope to make a solid return on.

The track would not cost anywhere near $100M, for a basic setup again such as race city you are looking at a fraction of that cost..

speedog
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Could this be doable near Calgary - http://www.motorsportranch.com/? How many beyonders would step up to the plate for such a thing or would most just be trying to play around on such a facility on the coattails of others?

94boosted
10-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6
With the closure of race city I'll just auto-x with the SASC club

:werd: And CSCC too (hopefully we keep Deerfoot).

Fort McLeod is soooooooo far away though. Hopefully they can get Deerfoot mall more often. Really if either of the clubs can get local venues on a more regular basis I might look at getting another car to come play too.

There was quite a few CSCC events at Deerfoot this year ~10. Plus ~5 in Red Deer and 14 with the SASC at Fort McLeod (really not too far if you live in the South). Plenty of events to justify having a well prepped auto-x car.

racerjim
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
That motorsportsranch. Looks just like what they are trying to build for the badlands resort. Would be great if it does happen but the way motorsports in the calgary area is, that is doubtful anything will come of it.

soloracer
10-24-2011, 04:44 PM
A couple of things to note:

1) There is no support on city council for a track within the city limits. Inquiries have been made for land in the city and they have flat out said they have nothing available for that use. Additionally, if it came to a vote to extend race city for one more year or somehow allow the modification of the current track to allow the road/pond developement to continue there would only be 2 alderpersons in favor. Race City and any track in the city is dead - Stampede grounds or otherwise.

2) There are two interesting proposals for tracks outside of the city currently being investigated. One group is looking to build a corporate airport and is seriously considering a motorsports facility as well. They are reported to own nearly 1000 acres of land and appear to be well organized. They also have had track designers from England, who have designed F1 tracks in the past, visit the location and are reportedly working on a design. Best case scenario has them breaking ground late next year and operational in some form in 2013.

The other proposal is to build a track in the Balzac area. The group is lead by a former reeve of the county and the intent is to build a multi-purpose facility that would involve skeet shooting, motocross and possibly a motorsports park. From the sounds of things this would be similar to the plan that the Calgary Go-Kart club had a few years ago. It's more grassroots so the bonus is that it would probably not be as expensive and easier to pull off. However, I don't know how far along they are in the planning and design phase. I believe they may also be looking for investors. The intent would be to have something up and running by 2013.

3) I also heard that Castrol Motorsports park near Nisku has acquired funding to pave their road course. If that is the case they should have something available for next year. It's a bit of a drive but doable for full day events.

4) There has been no more word about the Drumheller proposal. Based upon the lack of information for the length of time that it has been discussed one could conclude that funding or permit approvals may have been an issue.

There are still lots of questions regarding all of the above venues. Are they going to be rental only facilities? Will they require fractional ownership and membership fees like a golf course? Hopefully over the winter more is known.

Cos
10-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Dear Mr. Cos,

Thank you for contacting Mayor Nenshi with your request to find a replacement for Race City. Mayor Nenshi has asked me to respond on his behalf.

Although the current location for Race City is not feasible for future operations due to the expansion of the Shepard landfill, the Mayor and City Council would certainly consider proposals from individuals who wish to operate a similar facility at an alternate location. The City of Calgary is not considering going into this business at this time, but a private venture would definitely be looked at very closely.

Sincerely,

Erin Chrusch
Citizen Liaison
on behalf of His Worship, Mayor Naheed K. Nenshi
The Office of the Mayor
Historic City Hall
700 MacLeod Trail South
Calgary, AB T2P 2M5
(403)268-5622
www.calgarymayor.ca

soloracer
10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Cos

I will politely say that the response you recieved was the political equivalent of "pound sand". There is no political will on council to approve any motorsports facility in the city. Inquiries have been made regarding land available for a multi use facility and it has been made clear that there is nothing available in the city. All you are getting from Nenshi is lip service to make you feel warm and cozy. That is why all proposals are now looking outside the city.

Hot_Wheelz
10-24-2011, 04:58 PM
yea, I'm with Solo.. that was a super sly way of saying exactly that "pound sand"..

"but a private venture would definitely be looked at very closely."

lol... What is the city going to do if someone opens a new motor sports facility? I highly doubt the city will do anything at all so I don't really see why they would look at all.. let alone "closely". I REALLY doubt the city would give any sort of funding. They're already to busy fixing roads that don't really need fixing.

soloracer
10-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Hot_Wheelz
yea, I'm with Solo.. that was a super sly way of saying exactly that "pound sand"..

"but a private venture would definitely be looked at very closely."

lol... What is the city going to do if someone opens a new motor sports facility? I highly doubt the city will do anything at all so I don't really see why they would look at all.. let alone "closely". I REALLY doubt the city would give any sort of funding. They're already to busy fixing roads that don't really need fixing.

Quite the contrary, I am positive they will look at it "closely" to find any flaw in the proposal before summarily rejecting it. As I said, aside from two people, there is no support on council for motorsports. ;)

J-hop
10-24-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by soloracer

I will politely say that the response you recieved was the political equivalent of "pound sand". There is no political will on council to approve any motorsports facility in the city. Inquiries have been made regarding land available for a multi use facility and it has been made clear that there is nothing available in the city. All you are getting from Nenshi is lip service to make you feel warm and cozy. That is why all proposals are now looking outside the city.

I think responses like that are expected. However just getting the message out there time and time again from different people will keep issues like this from getting swept under the rug indefinitely. Us discussing it on here is fine but as i've stated many times in RC threads it is going outside the motorsport community that really makes the difference. If even 20-30 of us were to write the mayor a letter every year or circulate a petition every year I think we could make some change.

what I don't want to see is people in "protest" going out and street racing to try to prove a point. That is childish and will be met with childish treatment. If the city sees a spike in street racing, it isn't going to invest in a new track, its going to add another 500 traffic cops to take down these delinquents. Heck why not plan a giant car show and invite mayor nenshi to come check it out, he walked in the gay pride parade, I'm sure he wouldn't mind extending the same courtesy to an even larger community.

btimbit
10-24-2011, 07:13 PM

what I don't want to see is people in "protest" going out and street racing to try to prove a point. That is childish and will be met with childish treatment. If the city sees a spike in street racing, it isn't going to invest in a new track, its going to add another 500 traffic cops to take down these delinquents. Heck why not plan a giant car show and invite mayor nenshi to come check it out, he walked in the gay pride parade, I'm sure he wouldn't mind extending the same courtesy to an even larger community.

That's a good idea, I'm curious to see if he'd even give enough of a shit

J-hop
10-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

That's a good idea, I'm curious to see if he'd even give enough of a shit

I would be as well. It would be a nice statement next summer to have it as a show season opener, to show Nenshi what kind of a community there is in calgary. I would be more than willing to help out if someone wanted to take the reigns and push something like this forward. Get a bunch of local shops on board, they can come set up at the show and maybe pitch some sponsorship money to help pay for the venue. Make it a free or cheap to enter show. Get all the local and surrounding area clubs on board. Set up a charitable donation or something.

Instead of save race city it can be a "save motorsports in calgary" show.

I just personally think when dealing with politicians, it is in our best interest to express ourselves in a way that doesn't make the politician look bad if they decide to work with us and cater to us. Doing something like setting up street races or a smoke show in the middle of Mcleod Trail doesn't send the right message IMO.

Redlyne_mr2
10-24-2011, 08:34 PM
The street racing scene has gotten pretty crazy again lol.

Maxt
10-24-2011, 08:37 PM
How about leaving government out of the land acquisition part of it totally so one doesn't have to worry about the guillotine of changes in political will every 4 years and activists masquerading as public representatives..
Something totally privately owned and zoned properly has a much more concrete future..

Darell_n
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
We need an organized show/cruise weekend like Saskatoon and Lethbridge. Saskatoon is run by the local radio station and they had 9 blocks x 9 blocks of the downtown barricaded for the show with the cruise following that same night. I've never been to the Lethbridge event but I know it is good as well.

bituerbo
10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
http://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=Unknown+road&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&ll=51.065012,-114.026456&spn=0.005178,0.009645&sll=51.063252,-114.027829&sspn=0.005178,0.009645&geocode=FTU2CwMdNBE0-Q%3BFXQpCwMdIxY0-Q&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=17&t=m&z=17
400m in 1 minute? Try 10 seconds. Pcha.

btimbit
11-01-2011, 08:13 PM

I would be as well. It would be a nice statement next summer to have it as a show season opener, to show Nenshi what kind of a community there is in calgary. I would be more than willing to help out if someone wanted to take the reigns and push something like this forward. Get a bunch of local shops on board, they can come set up at the show and maybe pitch some sponsorship money to help pay for the venue. Make it a free or cheap to enter show. Get all the local and surrounding area clubs on board. Set up a charitable donation or something.

Instead of save race city it can be a "save motorsports in calgary" show.

I just personally think when dealing with politicians, it is in our best interest to express ourselves in a way that doesn't make the politician look bad if they decide to work with us and cater to us. Doing something like setting up street races or a smoke show in the middle of Mcleod Trail doesn't send the right message IMO.

Exactly. It'd also be a way to show that responsible motorsports enthusiasts don't want people street racing and making it even worse for us. They'll just make stricter bylaws if street racing go up, this is something that needs to be pushed properly.

Street racing to try and get a track would be like cyclists using the outside lane of deerfoot to try and get bike lanes. (true story) It isn't going to work, it's just going to piss off a whole lot of people, and kill a handful as well.

I'm in for helping as much as possible with this as well, but lack the knowledge to take the reigns myself. Hopefully someone steps up to the plate.

A private facility would be ideal, but honestly, I think that's even less likely to happen

..*JDM Hatch*..
11-01-2011, 08:53 PM
The city took away our only place to race off the street that isn't a 2.5hr drive away. Don't want it to happen,but street racing is going to go up like there is no tomorrow. but oh well. lots of new people in the scene and not really caring about where they race. But this happens every year,new kids getting there licence and not caring where they race,they just wanna go fast. And now with Calgary not having a racing facility,these rookie kids are going to kill themselves and others.

:burnout:

projekz
11-01-2011, 09:00 PM
Say no to street racing! Go offroading:D

Or start joining Auto X clubs

Hallowed_point
11-01-2011, 11:11 PM
I think that was pretty lame that nenshi didnt even show up to race city to check out the facility but he seems to have plenty of time to be cutting ribbons for finger bridges. I dont think a solution will involve nenshi in any way shape or form. But moving forward surely someone can get something going, there is a market here for it.

Redlined_8000
02-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Does anyone have any info for Auto-x at the deerfoot mall this year? im interested in going.... but ive never been before and dont know when the events are and stuff or even if they're doing it.

And yes i know, my G35 is gonna be the slowest slug on the track hahaha

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-03-2012, 11:48 PM
I'm looking forward to Auto X again this year, third year in a row in a different car.

A2VR6
02-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000
Does anyone have any info for Auto-x at the deerfoot mall this year? im interested in going.... but ive never been before and dont know when the events are and stuff or even if they're doing it.

Plan this year is 6 Deerfoot Mall events and 4 Red Deer events at Westerner for the CSCC

SASC hasnt released the schedule for Fort McLeod as of yet.

Murray Peterson
02-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Redlined_8000

It's a bit early in the year, but keep an eye on the CSCC forum:
http://cscc.speedracer.ca/forums/index.php/topic,11054.0.html

When you start, it's all about learning the driving skills; the car you bring is completely irrelevant.

lellowrx7
02-04-2012, 12:43 AM
I will say Barlow street races used to be a lot of fun!
Down the hill and past the train tracks towards Ogden usually isn't ever busy :p

Cos
02-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Murray Peterson
02-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Cos
Can you just drop in for the Deerfoot Mall events much like the winter auto-x at race city was.

Probably not. The Deerfoot Mall events are extremely popular, and the logistics of running such large events is difficult. Last year we insisted on pre-registration via Karelo with no walk-ins allowed. Planning a day or two ahead shouldn't be *too* difficult :)

Walk-ins are fine at Red Deer events. Those events are smaller and they are a lot more relaxed.

Cos
02-04-2012, 10:26 AM

Twin_Cam_Turbo
02-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Cos

Oh a day or two is fine. I just didnt want to have to say in March that I am available xyz days. My job doesnt allow it.

Registration usually closes 48 hours before I find.

Graham_A_M
02-04-2012, 12:50 PM
RaceCity was a hopeless fucking dive that I'll never miss. You think (as an ACTUAL track) it was bad in a car?; trying dealing with it on a bike. The drag strip portion was the only bit that was salvageable/usable.

Calgary has its Go-kart track just a few blocks away from RC. So I think I'll be buying a smaller bike to go racing in the AMRA (Alberta Mini-Road racing Assoc).
Thankfully its not very expensive; and that track has a 3 year lease on it.

So, thats an option... but I have a lot more pressing things to look after before blowing a few grand on a bike/ racing set up.

Im glad though; that I dont have a full on drag race/ track car.
Wow I'd be choked right about now.
:cry:

Kind of leary about that whole Timmie's on Barlow thing again. So much high school drama last time I was there a few years back. It was just like; Are you fucking serious? :facepalm:

Offroad
02-04-2012, 02:25 PM
There is a rumor Grey Eagle Casino was talking to the Wednesday night car crowd about building a track next to their casino.:dunno:

xnvy
02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Calgary has its Go-kart track just a few blocks away from RC. So I think I'll be buying a smaller bike to go racing in the AMRA (Alberta Mini-Road racing Assoc).
Thankfully its not very expensive; and that track has a 3 year lease on it. Are you talking about the track that Allen Berg uses?

Shlade
02-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Offroad
There is a rumor Grey Eagle Casino was talking to the Wednesday night car crowd about building a track next to their casino.:dunno:

they would make big money... Doubt city would allow it though. Highly doubt Glenmore is anywhere close to being finished. Im sure there is probably something in the works to do some more work to it in the future..